Gastineau Lives

Time to put your money where your mouths are

20 hours ago, Maddog45 said:

There isn't a specific answer that's logical to your question. Point blank people against the tank with a team lead by Josh McClown are IDIOTS. I'm not afraid to say it , especially when it's the truth. Funny thing is if he retires next year , who would the qb be, cousins isn't coming here, Alex smith staying until Mahomes is ready. We're gonna have to go thru a tank season eventually , winning now only pushes that back , it's unavoidable . This is the year of the qb, and they ****ed it off already

There's no logical reason to root for your beloved tank, either. How you root has exactly zero impact on the result of the games, same as me. So I root for them to win on Sunday because it tends to brighten my day, and if they lose I'm content because I know that has a positive impact on their draft position next year. Getting mad because the team is winning, or mad at other Jet fans who like to see the Jets win is ridiculous. 

Registered members do not see this ad. Click here to create your free account today.
Registered members do not see this ad. Click here to create your free account today.
1 minute ago, slats said:

There's no logical reason to root for your beloved tank, either. How you root has exactly zero impact on the result of the games, same as me. So I root for them to win on Sunday because it tends to brighten my day, and if they lose I'm content because I know that has a positive impact on their draft position next year. Getting mad because the team is winning, or mad at other Jet fans who like to see the Jets win is ridiculous. 

So you enjoy only being happy 5 weeks of the season because of a win? Those 5 games THIS YEAR means something , the best qbs darnold and Rosen are going 1-2 , we miss out because of those games, if it wasn't year of the qb and like a defensive end is the top pick who gives a damn , it's THIS year that the tank needs to happen 

19 hours ago, HessStation said:

Most likely this. And of course maybe the stars finally align and they get lucky w the #9 overall. But still, I just don't care about 7 wins vs 3 wins with McCown at QB this year. I'd prefer the #1 so whoever that top prospect is, would be there's. Looks like that's not the case.

I agree with this. Been my biggest complaint all season that McCown is in the starting lineup. But it was inevitable. The early part of the season had the easiest games, McCown was gonna win two or three, and Bowles would keep him in there because best chance to win. It's frustrating. Still not gonna root against the team on Sunday, though. 

8 minutes ago, Maddog45 said:

So you enjoy only being happy 5 weeks of the season because of a win? Those 5 games THIS YEAR means something , the best qbs darnold and Rosen are going 1-2 , we miss out because of those games, if it wasn't year of the qb and like a defensive end is the top pick who gives a damn , it's THIS year that the tank needs to happen 

It beats the **** out of getting pissed off when the Jets win. As GL said in this thread, he's miserable on Sundays. I have no need or desire to do that to myself. Hopefully, Mayfield, Allen, or Jackson is the real deal and the Jets land the right guy. I prefer Rothlisberger to Eli or Rivers, Rogers to Smith. It's not always the consensus #1 who becomes the best of class. In the meantime, I'm not mad or sad. 

2 hours ago, slats said:

I agree with this. Been my biggest complaint all season that McCown is in the starting lineup. But it was inevitable. The early part of the season had the easiest games, McCown was gonna win two or three, and Bowles would keep him in there because best chance to win. It's frustrating. Still not gonna root against the team on Sunday, though. 

There's different groups of the tank prospect. I don't watch the game necessarily rooting for or against and like seeing certain players making plays. I'm just overseeing the game hoping the other team inevitably wins. 

It's not exciting win or loss, it's just an empty season vacant of any real emotion but knowing they'd be better of losing than winning. Pats will be more of a struggle to root against them and at this point they're close to being mired at around #5-8 anyway. Not sure how I'll handle the game until it's on really. Wasn't exciting for me to beat the Jags  on what should have been a loss if not for holding and the Browns who threw away the game.

and I don't care how other people want to watch the game. I understand both sides. But the one's complaining about the tank crowd I find endearing yet annoying 

2 hours ago, slats said:

If I go to a restaurant and get served a sh*t sandwich because the goofball at the next table doesn't know how to read the menu I'm gonna get mad.

4 minutes ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

If I go to a restaurant and get served a sh*t sandwich because the goofball at the next table doesn't know how to read the menu I'm gonna get mad.

You need to go to better restaurants dude.

4 minutes ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

Well, that's where the analogy falls apart. You can't just go to another restaurant. They got a word for that.

Lucky for me dinner is my favorite sport. 

2 hours ago, HessStation said:

There's different groups of the tank prospect. I don't watch the game necessarily rooting for or against and like seeing certain players making plays. I'm just overseeing the game hoping the other team inevitably wins. 

It's not exciting win or loss, it's just an empty season vacant of any real emotion but knowing they'd be better of losing than winning. Pats will be more of a struggle to root against them and at this point they're close to being mired at around #5-8 anyway. Not sure how I'll handle the game until it's on really. Wasn't exciting for me to beat the Jags  on what should have been a loss if not for holding and the Browns who threw away the game.

and I don't care how other people want to watch the game. I understand both sides. But the one's complaining about the tank crowd I find endearing yet annoying 

I'm right about in the same place. I was literally LOL when it looked like they were throwing the game against the Jags, and completely content when the Browns got their first lead of the 2017 season. I'm rooting for the Jets to look good, for players to make plays, to give me some hope that a team is being put together, but there's no emotional involvement. I'd be right along with the tank crowd if the Jets were 0-5, but they're not. And I loved squishing the fish, that was great. 

I can't sit in front of the game and root against the team. But I can be totally zen when they lose. It's making for a remarkably comfortable football season. 

58 minutes ago, slats said:

I'm right about in the same place. I was literally LOL when it looked like they were throwing the game against the Jags, and completely content when the Browns got their first lead of the 2017 season. I'm rooting for the Jets to look good, for players to make plays, to give me some hope that a team is being put together, but there's no emotional involvement. I'd be right along with the tank crowd if the Jets were 0-5, but they're not. And I loved squishing the fish, that was great. 

I can't sit in front of the game and root against the team. But I can be totally zen when they lose. It's making for a remarkably comfortable football season. 

I envy and admire that. (No sarcasm)

16 minutes ago, Larz said:

So did anybody bet? 

11 games left * 20 per game, Jets could lose them all, so do not think anyone was risking $220 in a random display of fandom...

I do think a wager on if the Jets make the playoffs, or not, could be more interesting since the debate on the value of wins that do not result in playoffs should be in the tankers constitution 

and no I am not betting - even if I did win money in Cleveland :)

22 hours ago, Larz said:

So did anybody bet? 

No, no one bet because they know that the Jets, as presently constructed, are not a winning football team. So, by default, since they know, logically that this team won't even get to 8-8, let alone 9-7 and almost assuredly not 7-9, they are rooting, again, by default, for 6-10 at best.

Having said this, no one is suggesting that the way you root changes the outcomes of games, that is absurd. But since this is a discussion forum, in which we exchange ideas, the IDEA of that feels "dumb" to me and others. Not completely idiotic, as I have been called numerous times now, but definitely not smart enough to justify the "real fan" vs. "bad fan" attitude that has pervaded the conversation here.

THAT was my whole point when starting the thread. To illustrate this point. Was it the best way? Of course not.

I'm sure THIS will be called an idiotic rant.