Williams Released

KRL

Williams wasn't good yesterday, it must mean Roberts & Burris will be back this week

Brian Costello‏ @BrianCoz  7 minutes ago

Bowles said they will sign Jalin Marshall to the active roster. They are releasing
CB Marcus Williams 

13 minutes ago, KRL said:

Williams wasn't good yesterday, it must mean Roberts & Burris will be back this week

Brian Costello‏ @BrianCoz  7 minutes ago

Bowles said they will sign Jalin Marshall to the active roster. They are releasing
CB Marcus Williams 

have to admit this move was a surprise to me.  He was a ballhawk last year.  

Just now, batman10023 said:

have to admit this move was a surprise to me.  He was a ballhawk last year.  

that was 2 years ago.

Surprised bc Williams was only one of 3 CBs to play yesterday.  I get having Burris and Roberts ahead of him, but they weren't able to play yesterday.  Must be expected to be ok to go next week, though surprised team confident enough in their health just one day after were inactive.  

6 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

They must feel fine about Derrick Jones doing at least what Williams can do

From the way our DB coach (Dennard Wilson) "rode" Jones in training camp you can tell

they like his potential.  He's converting from WR so he has excellent ball skills but he was

technically raw

I don't have any particular love for Williams that I would be opposed to him getting cut for another player, but I do kind have an issue with it being Marshall.  He was awful in every way last year in the regular season.  Tack on already getting hit with a suspension this early on, and at a position that there's multiple young guys disappointingly not getting much playing time, it is highly questionable.

If they felt a need at another position (such as RB, given the Powell injury) I would understand Williams being the low man on the list to send packing, but at this point I'm not sure what has them thinking Marshall deserves more than the PS, at the very most.

On another note, Williams' tender became fully guaranteed, right?  Not that this is a particular issue given the amount of money they have next year, but if so it says more about the team's opinions of him if they are willing to send him packing with no savings coming along with it, as opposed to other guys near the bottom on the roster who are cheaper and/or not guaranteed.

Just now, Bleedin Green said:

On another note, Williams' tender became fully guaranteed, right?  Not that this is a particular issue given the amount of money they have next year, but if so it says more about the team's opinions of him if they are willing to send him packing with no savings coming along with it, as opposed to other guys near the bottom on the roster who are cheaper and/or not guaranteed.

On a related note, Macc unnecessarily gave him a 2nd rd tender rather than a low round tender, wasted $1 mil.  

46 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

Jalin Marshall has been pretty shaky. I could so see him making a game changing turnover this Sunday....not to sure about this move 

You make a valid point. However he was a rookie last year, and an undrafted one to be specific. We'll have to give the kid a chance, he could have matured. It sounded as if he had a decent off season as well

8 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Anyone else think he meant Leonard for a split second? Good god man, phrasing.

Seriously. @KRL, what the hell? Why not make that title one word more specific?

A shame what became of Williams after a breakout year in 2015. While he came back to earth last year I thought he would at least be solid back-up Corner/dimeback. Guess whatever ballhawking magic he had has run out- and yeah, Jones must be coming along too.

14 minutes ago, jpoppy717 said:

On a related note, Macc unnecessarily gave him a 2nd rd tender rather than a low round tender, wasted $1 mil.  

That crossed my mind as well, but I wasn't sure if Williams qualified for a low-round tender given that he was an UDFA.  In that case, I think the lower tender would have meant no compensation for the Jets if he signed somewhere.  In hindsight, that seems like it may have been the better choice, but I didn't remember off hand how that worked.

52 minutes ago, jpoppy717 said:

that was 2 years ago.

Surprised bc Williams was only one of 3 CBs to play yesterday.  I get having Burris and Roberts ahead of him, but they weren't able to play yesterday.  Must be expected to be ok to go next week, though surprised team confident enough in their health just one day after were inactive.  

true enough on when williams actually showed some ability. he must've misplayed some plays or maybe was having some disciplinary issues.  could be they're sending a message to wilk.

Marshall is a playmaker, gets open & is awesome in the open field. Protecting the ball is his issue, but we need some open field jukers. Pats are not a fast defense, we need to use Anderson deep to open up some holes underneath for guys to work against Chung etc.looking forward to FINALLY having a TE vs the Pats with ASJ. 

One thing not considered is that the Giants lost like 4 WRs this past weekend several to serious injuries. They may bring Cruz back, but I personally am sick and tired of them getting players from us on our dime. They made out like bandits with our practice squad with multiple RBs in past years and if they want a WR they can pay us in the way of a draft pick. Perhaps Mac is thinking if they want Marshall perhaps, then cough up some loot.

I was at the game and Williams made a huge mental mistake walking off the field when he was supposed to cover on a play.  Time out was called because the guy was uncovered/wide open.  Jamal Adams goes running up to Williams on the sideline and yells at him "What are you doing!"  

Great to see the Leadership in Adams.  I believe this play is what made it an easier decision to release him.

5 hours ago, Rangers9 said:

If Marcus drops I could see Belichick again signing an ex Jets player just before a game with them. And then cutting him the following week. 

I think that's what Bowles & Mac have in mind and expect to happen. Marcus Williams IS A TRAP to feed them false information!

:D

13 hours ago, NYDreamer said:

I was at the game and Williams made a huge mental mistake walking off the field when he was supposed to cover on a play.  Time out was called because the guy was uncovered/wide open.  Jamal Adams goes running up to Williams on the sideline and yells at him "What are you doing!"  

Great to see the Leadership in Adams.  I believe this play is what made it an easier decision to release him.

Great catch, I was wondering why that timeout was called

Marcus Williams was AWFUL against the Browns.  I have no problem with them releasing him.  I would love them to give Jalin Marshall another shot at returning kicks and punts.  Lets hope that as he matured he's learned to hold onto the ball.  The kid is a play maker with the ball in his hands he just has to hold on to the rock.

Archived