Sat next to Josh McCown's parents at the game yesterday

BroadwayBen

They were very nice people, and it was a real pleasure. I live in Columbus, OH and I bought tickets for my step-dad and I for his 50th bday. It was a nice treat to find out we were sitting with the McCown's. Regardless of what your opinions are on McCown, it was nice to see him get his first win at that stadium, and the first 3 game win streak of his career while sitting with his biggest supporters. Even got to meet him after the game. The guy is a true professional and he brings highly sought after leadership traits directly to the locker room. It was an honor to experience a game with the people that helped instill those traits into him. 

Tank or not, this is just one of the few reasons I cannot root against my team. When the jets win, it elevates game day experiences so much more. The draft hasn't happened yet, but this season is happening now. So, as you know, J E T S Jets Jets Jets!

3 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Can't believe Josh McCown's parents are still alive. 

Can't believe they haven't disowned him or deny their his parents. Josh, Josh, Josh who? Huh? What? Oh nooooo nope uh uh. Our name's McGowan not McCowan. We get this all the time. ?

McCown seems like a class act.  Not surprising his parents are good people. That said, still difficult to digest him being the starting QB for the Jets this season... even if he is playing the best ball of his career.

He just doesn't fit where the team is at in a rebuild.  He would make infinitely more sense as a backup for a contender.  I bet the Raiders wish they could have him back right now instead of EJM.

33 minutes ago, BroadwayBen said:

They were very nice people, and it was a real pleasure. I live in Columbus, OH and I bought tickets for my step-dad and I for his 50th bday. It was a nice treat to find out we were sitting with the McCown's. Regardless of what your opinions are on McCown, it was nice to see him get his first win at that stadium, and the first 3 game win streak of his career while sitting with his biggest supporters. Even got to meet him after the game. The guy is a true professional and he brings highly sought after leadership traits directly to the locker room. It was an honor to experience a game with the people that helped instill those traits into him. 

Tank or not, this is just one of the few reasons I cannot root against my team. When the jets win, it elevates game day experiences so much more. The draft hasn't happened yet, but this season is happening now. So, as you know, J E T S Jets Jets Jets!

pretty cool story!  where were you guys sitting?  awesome that you got to meet him.

3 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

McCown seems like a class act.  Not surprising his parents are good people. That said, still difficult to digest him being the starting QB for the Jets this season... even if he is playing the best ball of his career.

He just doesn't fit where the team is at in a rebuild.  He would make infinitely more sense as a backup for a contender.  I bet the Raiders wish they could have him back right now instead of EJM.

Exactly great post I feel the same way, no hate for the person Josh McCown. 

9 minutes ago, batman10023 said:

pretty cool story!  where were you guys sitting?  awesome that you got to meet him.

Section 109 row 18, we were at about 45 yard line or so behind the Jet bench. Also, after the Kearse touchdown he looked up at them and pumped his fist into the air. Pretty cool, and I felt like I was a part of it. Might be fan boying a bit, but hey I haven't been able to attend many jet games living in Ohio! 

So Hue Jackson tried to hire McCown to be his QB coach. Would be nice if he can play a part in developing the 2 young guys and the rookie QB we may pick up next year. I believe in 15 seasons he's had 15 different coordinators. That is an amazing amount of experience and information.

1 hour ago, RESNewYork said:

So Hue Jackson tried to hire McCown to be his QB coach. Would be nice if he can play a part in developing the 2 young guys and the rookie QB we may pick up next year. I believe in 15 seasons he's had 15 different coordinators. That is an amazing amount of experience and information.

I still think Our Own Chad Pennington would be perfect for this, still don't know why that hasn't happened yet.

3 hours ago, RoadFan said:

Putting petty or hackenberg to throw interceptions wouldn’t be a good fit for a team like this trying to build chemistry and learn how to win

3 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

Putting petty or hackenberg to throw interceptions wouldn’t be a good fit for a team like this trying to build chemistry and learn how to win

I'm curious, after one learns how to win, how long does one stay in the state of knowing-how-to-win? Does it carry over from college to the pros? Does it change when the head coach changes? Or does it lay solely with the QB? I just feel that if we can isolate that one variable that keeps us in the knowing-how-to-win state, maybe we won't waste all these damned learning-how-to-win seasons. 

1 minute ago, BroadwayJoe12 said:

I'm curious, after one learns how to win, how long does one stay in the state of knowing-how-to-win? Does it carry over from college to the pros? Does it change when the head coach changes? Or does it lay solely with the QB? I just feel that if we can isolate that one variable that keeps us in the knowing-how-to-win state, maybe we won't waste all these damned learning-how-to-win seasons. 

Valid question but easy answer, when the team core remains the same. If you switch out one or two players it’s ok but the basic core needs to build unity and fight together. Look at this team compared to 2016; this team fights. Last years team pack it in if they went down by 3

13 hours ago, RoadFan said:

Second that... Good guy and want him to stick around next year for whoever is the QB, but that should be his job this year as well... If he's that smart and helps the team, maybe Morton will hire him in some capacity.

14 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Oh wow.  On a scale of 1-10, how upset were they when you told them:

-You're rooting for the Jets to lose

-You want Byrce Petty to be the starter

-You call their son McClown

-Their son set the franchise back another 5 years

real life LOL

Now your seeing why the Jets signed him. He's literally the best mentor they could find for these young guys. Why throw kids into a new complicated WCO? One of the issues I have always had with the Jets is the CONTINOUS changing of systems.

I think this Jets group has finally figured that out & are looking toward the future but trying to instill a winning attitude while immersing Petty & Hack into this playbook. Maybe neither one is any good, but there is finally a plan. All of these guys are involved, Bates & Morton seem to review etc. . How many times in the past did we see Geno come to the sideline & sit by himself with absolutely zero instruction from any coaches? It was criminal. Coaching matters, look at Goff with McKay. 

Knowing a playbook gives you at least much more of a chance at success. Maybe Drew Brees walk in here next year but guess what? Same playbook! System first, then get the guys that FIT the system! Pats have done this since Belichick has been there, Andy Reid? Same thing, Sean Payton? System, look how pissed AP was a couple weeks ago, Payton was like "whatever" and Kamara who fits the system better is getting 2/3 of the snaps now. If McGuire turns out to be a good back & somehow Brees walks in here & Barkley is sitting at 5 or 6 if that's where we end up BOOM! instant offense for the NY Jets. All of a sudden Robby Andersons speed means a lot more than it does does. ASJ, Kearse, Stewart underneath because of his toughness. SYSTEM. Believe it.

On 10/9/2017 at 5:32 PM, BroadwayBen said:

Section 109 row 18, we were at about 45 yard line or so behind the Jet bench. Also, after the Kearse touchdown he looked up at them and pumped his fist into the air. Pretty cool, and I felt like I was a part of it. Might be fan boying a bit, but hey I haven't been able to attend many jet games living in Ohio! 

Cool guy. But he didn't get his folks s luxury box?

On 10/9/2017 at 7:39 PM, kevinc855 said:

McCown has 5td's and 4int's i mean its not like he isn't throwing pics himself. The team isn't necessarily winning because of McCown either. Cleveland gifted that game to us. 

The way this offense is playing is not good, and as much as I enjoyed these 3 wins, the only 2 games I expect us to have a legit change at winning are the Dolphins and Bills games. The rest of the teams on our schedule could be beat, but they would be surprising wins. 

All I am saying is lets not get carried away with the whole statement that you made above. 

And all that being said, I hope we beat the living hell out of the Pats on Sunday. No matter who the QB is.

On 10/10/2017 at 9:45 AM, Jetster said:

Now your seeing why the Jets signed him. He's literally the best mentor they could find for these young guys. Why throw kids into a new complicated WCO? One of the issues I have always had with the Jets is the CONTINOUS changing of systems.

I think this Jets group has finally figured that out & are looking toward the future but trying to instill a winning attitude while immersing Petty & Hack into this playbook. Maybe neither one is any good, but there is finally a plan. All of these guys are involved, Bates & Morton seem to review etc. . How many times in the past did we see Geno come to the sideline & sit by himself with absolutely zero instruction from any coaches? It was criminal. Coaching matters, look at Goff with McKay. 

Knowing a playbook gives you at least much more of a chance at success. Maybe Drew Brees walk in here next year but guess what? Same playbook! System first, then get the guys that FIT the system! Pats have done this since Belichick has been there, Andy Reid? Same thing, Sean Payton? System, look how pissed AP was a couple weeks ago, Payton was like "whatever" and Kamara who fits the system better is getting 2/3 of the snaps now. If McGuire turns out to be a good back & somehow Brees walks in here & Barkley is sitting at 5 or 6 if that's where we end up BOOM! instant offense for the NY Jets. All of a sudden Robby Andersons speed means a lot more than it does does. ASJ, Kearse, Stewart underneath because of his toughness. SYSTEM. Believe it.

I understand by any measure he's done okay. Again he has won 3 bum fights. And the mentor thing is simply not true. It doesn't mean a damn thing. Either Hackenberg or Petty or QB 2017 Draft Pick get it or they don't. It might be nice to go to work with supportive and pleasant co-workers, but it's not required. In fact you can point to any number of cases where they weren't on good terms-Montana/Young, Favre/Rodgers, et al. And at a loss why you think Geno Smith was somehow not himself at fault for not talking to coaches between series; why isn't incumbent on a player to do that himself? 

And as to The System, thees guys are football players who have been running through various approaches to offenses since Pop Warner. A draw or an off tackle or a screen pass are all pretty much the same thing with a different names. Might be a difference between spread, WCO, downfield oriented passing attacks,more run/play action styles, blocking scheme variants,  but again, they've seen all this. Brian Schottenheimer, is that you? 

Problem remains we have a 38 year old guy who has played okay, isn't winning anything that matters in 2017 and will not be the QB in 2018.And very little he does will impact the future of this team.  It's pointless.  

I hate to say it, but I don't hate McCown.  I really really wanted to, but he's been a class act and stand up guy since he's gotten here, and he has done a serviceable job at QB.  It's not his fault that Bowles is a dummy and refuses to give the young QB's on the roster a longer look to evaluate.

Archived