I just don't understand some of you guys

Pennington

8 minutes ago, sciond said:

50 here as well

5 or 6 good seasons out of 50 is not plenty

only 3 at most 4 of those years did I think we had a chance for the Superbowl.

I just listed 11 seasons in which they made the playoffs and had some very good teams including 4 AFC title games. Any time you make the playoffs in the NFL I consider it a good season. I also forgot '91 when they made playoffs as well so thats 12 playoff appearances since '81. Not great but not the worst either. 

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Pennington said:

I am a long time lurker who just joined to get my thoughts out there.

Sorry but I just do not understand how any Jets fan can be happy with winning these meaningless games. We haven't had a legitimate franchise QB since Namath and this was our best chance to get one with Darnold or Rosen since Parcells stupidly told Peyton Manning he wouldn't draft him.

Are you guys fine with being mediocre or worse or do you just not understand that the easiest way to win a Super Bowl is by drafting a franchise QB. Both Darnold and Rosen have a chance to be top of the league QBs but we have screwed ourselves out of a chance to draft either of them because we won meaningless games with a 38 yr old journeyman QB in McCown.

There is nothing to be excited about and every Jets fan should be livid with the garbage wins. Gastineau Lives and others who agree with him are the smart ones while the guys who rip into him are being incredibly short sighted.

Now go ahead and rip into me for not being a "true fan" for wanting bigger and better things for this franchise over garbage wins in a lost season.

Thanks for signing up. 

Now that we have that out of the way. Kony Ealy, Leonard Williams, Morris Claiborne, Todd Bowles improving as a new head coach, a young offensive line that is performing better than people expected, McGuire, Kearse, Jenkins, Adams & Maye, this new offensive coordinator...

These are a few things off the top of my head to be excited about.

4 minutes ago, RESNewYork said:

Sorry but I just do not understand how any Jets fan can be happy with winning these meaningless games.

This is the crux of the issue. Why do you care how others root for the Jets. Anyone's rooting preference has no outcome on anything. You root for losses and another fan roots for victory. What does it matter. You have issue with what fans root for? If so why?

Shouldn't your issue be with the team? For not doing enough to lose. Be angry at the Jet team. You should no issues with other fans 

Good point.

What people root for doesn't matter at all. It doesn't change the results on the field.

1 hour ago, The Crimson King said:

TRUTH: With age comes wisdom and experience

TRUTH: If the "gramps" are jumping on you, you are probably either inexperienced in the matter or just plain wrong. Listen to old guys, you can get quite an education

True when it comes to life , absolutely . But when it comes to football what I said made complete sense , why not try to get the franchise guy in this draft , the timing would've been perfect. A lot of guys seen a lot of bullsh*t with the jets , I'm just hoping I don't become one of the many unlucky , but maybe that comes with being a fan of this team.

9 minutes ago, RevisIsland610 said:

I just listed 11 seasons in which they made the playoffs and had some very good teams including 4 AFC title games. Any time you make the playoffs in the NFL I consider it a good season. I also forgot '91 when they made playoffs as well so thats 12 playoff appearances since '81. Not great but not the worst either. 

Sorry but I disagree making the playoffs doesn't mean we had a really good team. Many times they had a mediocre team and an easy schedule like 2 years ago

Honestly the only team I thought could really win it all was  before the A.J. Duhe game.

To reiterate the fact that is not only the QB, you also.have to have everything else around, let me remind everyone about Alex Smith who is now having his best season, yet he was picked first overall by a different team.

You could say something similar about Carr in Texas or Luck in Indianapolis.

Just now, sciond said:

Sorry but I disagree making the playoffs doesn't mean we had a really good team. Many times they had a mediocre team and an easy schedule like 2 years ago

Honestly the only team I thought could really win it all was  before the A.J. Duhe game.

We have a different definition of good then. Just because they weren't true super bowl contenders in your opinion doesn't mean they still didn't have a good team. I agree with you about the team 2 years ago but that team did not make playoffs anyway. 

Jesus H Christ. This team has beaten 3 suspect teams by a total of 20 points. If Kizer doesn't blow it in the Red Zone they lose to the lowly Browns. With the schedule they have remaining they may win 1 possibly 2 more games. If they win more than that it would surprise the sh*t out of me. Still I will root for them no matter what. Win Lose or Tie. I have been watching this team too long NOT to do that. I don't believe your not "a real fan" if you root against them to secure that elusive draft pick. I think your just naive. Experience has taught me that there is such thing as a sure thing and drafting a QB no matter how talented is always a crap shoot. Especially an Underclassmen. You can easily find that franchise guy in the 1st round or the last. I must admit it is fun to needle the Wu Tank Clan boys as they are so easy to do so. Just keep in mind that We all want the same thing in the end and lets just try to respect each other as we watch the season unfold. No matter what is said the season will play out the way it play out no matter how much we ALL bitch and moan about it. So feel free to go nuts on game day and rail all you want about meaningless wins but in the end remember this: WE ARE ALL JET FANS. There is no harder thing to be in sports......unless your a Ranger Fan. Then God have mercy on your soul.

4 hours ago, Tinstar said:

Phillip Rivers is a Franchise QB and near HOFer . Matthew Stafford is a franchise QB . Both were drafted in the 1st round  and neither have a SB ring .   Kurt Warner was an Undrafted free agent  and he's in the HOF . Tom Brady was a 6 round pick and is a HOFer  . Drew Brees was a 2nd round pick and has a SB ring . Russell Wilson was a 3rd round pick and has a SB ring . Here's an interesting one for a thinking man . Peyton Manning was the 1st overall pick , has 2 SB rings and is a sure fire HOFer .  Exactly what did he do to earn both of those rings other than being on a team whose defense rose up and help him become a champion .

Teams win championships .  It helps a great deal if you don't have to hide your QB along the way, but your QB don't have to be a 1st round pick, just capable .

Joe Namath was THE 1st pick in the 1965 AFL Draft and won a Super Bowl for a team that was a laughingstock, a punching bag that had a nondescript identity.  I'll take my chances with THE #1 pick.

5 hours ago, Pennington said:

Sorry but I just do not understand how any Jets fan can be happy with winning these meaningless games. We haven't had a legitimate franchise QB since Namath and this was our best chance to get one with Darnold or Rosen since Parcells stupidly told Peyton Manning he wouldn't draft him.

Are you guys fine with being mediocre or worse or do you just not understand that the easiest way to win a Super Bowl is by drafting a franchise QB. Both Darnold and Rosen have a chance to be top of the league QBs but we have screwed ourselves out of a chance to draft either of them because we won meaningless games with a 38 yr old journeyman QB in McCown.

There is nothing to be excited about and every Jets fan should be livid with the garbage wins. Gastineau Lives and others who agree with him are the smart ones while the guys who rip into him are being incredibly short sighted.

Now go ahead and rip into me for not being a "true fan" for wanting bigger and better things for this franchise over garbage wins in a lost season.

PREACH BROTHER

What do you expect the jets to do?  I mean they get rid  of everybody and didn't sign anybody.  They clearly were lookin to rebuild and be bad this year.  They're probably more surprised than anybody that this team has won 3 games already.  Unless you ask the jets to literally lay down during kickoff there is not much that can be done.  I mean nobody expected Miami to play so crappy and the Jaguars gave the game away as well.   Also getting a top pick doesn't necessarily mean you are getting a franchise QB.  The Manning brothers are the only top picks that won anything.  Luck obviously is a great talent but he never led the colts far and he is hurt all the time.  I mean look at the browns they've always had top picks and they're still a dumpster fire.

14 hours ago, Pennington said:

I haven't read the rest of the replies, but I'll chip in my two views on this:

• there is no demonstrable difference between picking 1st and picking anywhere else in terms of finding the answer at QB
  • picking first usually means you start off further from success than any other team - plugging a QB into a talent-less roster is more likely to kill your QB than turn you into a competitive franchise

So the fact that we're winning some games, mostly with young guys, gives me more hope that if we pick a QB at 6-10 or so in the draft, we have a better chance to turn this thing around. So far this season I've seen better play than I expected from the WR / TE / RB positions, the OL as a unit, our D is stepping up and our ST are looking vastly improved. Al despite the supposed downgrade of talent across the board.

The more talent we have, the easier it'll be for a new QB to be the catalyst that takes us to that next level. I'd much rather have that scenario than great QB prospect + 52 questions marks.

12 hours ago, Maxman said:

Some of us will never root for the Jets to lose. We are fans, rooting against the Jets is not something I (and most of us) will ever do.

There is no guarantee that losing games gets the QB that everyone claims is out there. So let's go Jets.

Beat the Pats.

You: Rooting against the Jets is not something I will ever do.

Also You: If it was the end of the season and we needed to lose to get a quarterback, then yeah.

1 hour ago, jamesr said:

I haven't read the rest of the replies, but I'll chip in my two views on this:

• there is no demonstrable difference between picking 1st and picking anywhere else in terms of finding the answer at QB
  • picking first usually means you start off further from success than any other team - plugging a QB into a talent-less roster is more likely to kill your QB than turn you into a competitive franchise

So the fact that we're winning some games, mostly with young guys, gives me more hope that if we pick a QB at 6-10 or so in the draft, we have a better chance to turn this thing around. So far this season I've seen better play than I expected from the WR / TE / RB positions, the OL as a unit, our D is stepping up and our ST are looking vastly improved. Al despite the supposed downgrade of talent across the board.

The more talent we have, the easier it'll be for a new QB to be the catalyst that takes us to that next level. I'd much rather have that scenario than great QB prospect + 52 questions marks.

Even the Browns have some pretty good players. On their OL (I saw preseason rankings having them at #2 in football), Myles Garrett, Duke Johnson, on their DL, their run defense is actually pretty good (their secondary sucks) and they are the worst of the bad. So no, not 52 question marks. It's not that simple.

You're also comparing the first five picks in the draft vs the entire rest of the draft. That's not really a good comparison. You have one or two guys at most that you are considered in that spot - the ONLY choices, really. In the rest of the draft there are 200 other picks to be made. To get the right one from one of THOSE is not favored by the odds.

8 minutes ago, Gastineau Lives said:

Also You: If it was the end of the season and we needed to lose to get a quarterback, then yeah.

You: I understand that the way I root has no impact on the outcome of football games. 

Also you: I'm miserable every week rooting against the Jets to win. 

And also you: I don't understand why you don't all join me in my misery rooting against the Jets. 

3 minutes ago, slats said:

You: I understand that the way I root has no impact on the outcome of football games. 

Also you: I'm miserable every week rooting against the Jets to win. 

And also you: I don't understand why you don't all join me in my misery rooting against the Jets. 

I'm consistent. You have said nothing that I don't own and don't stand behind. Sorry it bothers you.

I'd be perfectly happy if they didn't pull out nothing wins against nothing teams to ruin draft position, so yeah, miserable.

12 minutes ago, Gastineau Lives said:

I'm consistent. You have said nothing that I don't own and don't stand behind. Sorry it bothers you.

I'd be perfectly happy if they didn't pull out nothing wins against nothing teams to ruin draft position, so yeah, miserable.

Doesn't really bother me. It's your misery that you're choosing for, admittedly, absolutely no reason at all. And misery loves company, so you want others to join you. I think it's kinda funny/sad. But by all means, carry on!

4 minutes ago, slats said:

Doesn't really bother me. It's your misery that you're choosing for, admittedly, absolutely no reason at all. And misery loves company, so you want others to join you. I think it's kinda funny/sad. But by all means, carry on!

Doesn't bother you, yet you chose to write my subtext for me in a post.

Don't cry for me, bubbe, life is good.

Funny/sad is the essence of being a Jet fan. Like one long butt-fumble. So we're both in the same boat. But go on and pretend otherwise, if it serves you.

11 minutes ago, Gastineau Lives said:

So we're both in the same boat.

We're really not. I'm having the easiest, angst-free football season I can remember in a long time, while you're getting all twisted up when the Jets win a football game. The only similarity between our boats is that you claim to understand that your rooting juju has no effect on the outcome on the field, and that the team is going to finish with whatever record it's going to have whether you're happy or mad when your favorite team wins a game. 

Just now, slats said:

We're really not. I'm having the easiest, angst-free football season I can remember in a long time, while you're getting all twisted up when the Jets win a football game. The only similarity between our boats is that you claim to understand that your rooting juju has no effect on the outcome on the field, and that the team is going to finish with whatever record it's going to have whether you're happy or mad when your favorite team wins a game. 

I love the "you claim" part of this post the best. The rest is just filler.

58 minutes ago, Gastineau Lives said:

If the Jets were 0 and 15 I would root for them the last game.

I have said I can see how others would root for a loss under that scenario.

I will never got for them to lose.

17 hours ago, Pennington said:

tenor.gif

1 hour ago, Maxman said:

If the Jets were 0 and 15 I would root for them the last game.

I have said I can see how others would root for a loss under that scenario.

I will never got for them to lose.

Well in that scenario we've probably got the #1 pick locked up and we're fighting the ignominy of going 0-16. I think we'd all be on board.

18 hours ago, Pennington said:

To each his own, but as I’ve said before, my expectation is that this team will be get a QB this offseason whether it’s through trading up or signing a FA.  I’m not the least bit worried that they won’t have a promising young QB next season.

That being said, I’ll enjoy watching the young kids perform well and the few wins I get to watch this season.

2 hours ago, Gastineau Lives said:

Doesn't bother you, yet you chose to write my subtext for me in a post.

Don't cry for me, bubbe, life is good.

Funny/sad is the essence of being a Jet fan. Like one long butt-fumble. So we're both in the same boat. But go on and pretend otherwise, if it serves you.

The fact that you even use this is so SOJF , the butt-fumble a twisted coat of arms for a sad colony of SOJF's.

19 hours ago, Pennington said:

If anything is consistent here it is our history with the draft.  We draft defense in the first round.  None of those top QB's were coming here anyway.

20 hours ago, RoadFan said:

This team let Shady and Tolbert run through holes the size of an Atlanta freeway.

Then they hit the self-destruct button in Oakland after a decent first half.

Then they beat a Dolphins team that was also shut out the following week by the Saints. (Final play vs. Jets not included)

Then they needed a fluke Bilal Powell play to help them beat Jacksonville.

Then they needed the Browns to turn it over twice inside the Jets 5 yard line AND two missed FGs to beat the Browns.

THEY ARE ALL MEANINGLESS!

I think you misunderstand the difference between meaningless and undeserved.  When the Jets beat the Seahawks because the ref missed Testicles kneed touching down on the one was it an undeserved win or a meaningless one?  The Pats won their last two super bowls because of an idiotic 1 yard pass attempt and the Falcons imploding at a historic rate.  Were those meaningless super bowl wins? 

3 hours ago, AFJF said:

To each his own, but as I’ve said before, my expectation is that this team will be get a QB this offseason whether it’s through trading up or signing a FA.  I’m not the least bit worried that they won’t have a promising young QB next season.

That being said, I’ll enjoy watching the young kids perform well and the few wins I get to watch this season.

I share the feelings in your 2nd paragraph, I wish I could share the optimism of your first.  I do not see any evidence to support your expectation.  They have had 3 offseasons to get a QB and they got us Fitzpatrick, Petty, Hackenberg, Fitzpatrick and McCown. Two are young and none are promising.  

Archived