I just don't understand some of you guys

Pennington

3 hours ago, 56mehl56 said:

The fact that you even use this is so SOJF , the butt-fumble a twisted coat of arms for a sad colony of SOJF's.

The only other single play that epitomized a franchise in the history of sports was Bill Buckner's play in 1986. Sorry if that irks you, but it's pretty spot on.

This whole rooting for losses from the get go thing has really fostered a sense of objectivity in me. You should try it.

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply
25 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I hare the feelings in your 2nd paragraph, I wish I could share the optimism of your first.  I do not see any evidence to support your expectation.  They have had 3 offseasons to get a QB and they got us Fitzpatrick, Petty, Hackenberg, Fitzpatrick and McCown. Two are young and none are promising.  

Just to be clear, I'm confident that they'll get a QB.  If it's not a proven vet, my gut tells me it'll be the wrong one, because there's nothing this franchise has ever done to make me think otherwise.

44 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I think you misunderstand the difference between meaningless and undeserved.  When the Jets beat the Seahawks because the ref missed Testicles kneed touching down on the one was it an undeserved win or a meaningless one?  The Pats won their last two super bowls because of an idiotic 1 yard pass attempt and the Falcons imploding at a historic rate.  Were those meaningless super bowl wins? 

I define "meaningless" as a team that has less than 1% chance to win a SB.

The Jets are not going to pull a Leicester City...

18 minutes ago, Gastineau Lives said:

The only other single play that epitomized a franchise in the history of sports was Bill Buckner's play in 1986. Sorry if that irks you, but it's pretty spot on.

This whole rooting for losses from the get go thing has really fostered a sense of objectivity in me. You should try it.

Funny how there's never a mention of the Pisarcik fumble which actually directly led to a lost game. The Sanchez fumble was one insignificant play in a blowout loss in comparison Buckner's play pretty much lost the World Series for the Red Sox . Yet still  the SOJF and the media can't let it go, its pretty pathetic.

Just now, RoadFan said:

I define "meaningless" as a team that has less than 1% chance to win a SB.

The Jets are not going to pull a Leicester City...

On SEPTEMBER 15, 2011 the Giants were 100-1 to win the super bowl.  At that point they were 0-1.  By December 4, 2011 they were 6-6 and on a 4 game losing streak.  I bet Giants fans are pissed they won all those meaningless games.  Can you guess who else is 100-1 to with the super bowl? 

JiF?  Who else?  

Just now, 56mehl56 said:

Funny how there's never a mention of the Pisarcik fumble which actually directly led to a lost game. The Sanchez fumble was one insignificant play in a blowout loss in comparison Buckner's play pretty much lost the World Series for the Red Sox . Yet still  the SOJF and the media can't let it go, its pretty pathetic.

You have to admit it's a pretty iconic play. The Pisarcik fumble was talked about alot, too. Then the Giants won four Super Bowls and the 80s 90s 00s and 2000 tens happened.

The funny thing is half the board thought the actual exciting winning, near playoff team lead by Ftiz two years ago were utter bums and hated on sections of them team.  some of the same people that were deriding sections of that team are all happy as clams with the state of this team and its ground hog day like 5 or 6 wins and picking 6th.

On 10/11/2017 at 4:35 PM, Pennington said:

I am a long time lurker who just joined to get my thoughts out there.

Sorry but I just do not understand how any Jets fan can be happy with winning these meaningless games. We haven't had a legitimate franchise QB since Namath and this was our best chance to get one with Darnold or Rosen since Parcells stupidly told Peyton Manning he wouldn't draft him.

Are you guys fine with being mediocre or worse or do you just not understand that the easiest way to win a Super Bowl is by drafting a franchise QB. Both Darnold and Rosen have a chance to be top of the league QBs but we have screwed ourselves out of a chance to draft either of them because we won meaningless games with a 38 yr old journeyman QB in McCown.

There is nothing to be excited about and every Jets fan should be livid with the garbage wins. Gastineau Lives and others who agree with him are the smart ones while the guys who rip into him are being incredibly short sighted.

Now go ahead and rip into me for not being a "true fan" for wanting bigger and better things for this franchise over garbage wins in a lost season.

The Yankees are a young team no one expected to do anything until next year and we see how that's working. Obviously the Jets are not the Yankees but the Jets do have some promising young players who seem to give a sh*t and its exciting to root for a young team playing well. This talk of tanking is the real bullsh*t because players are not going to walk out on that field and ruin their career by playing like sh*t to have a batter chance at drafting a QB especially not a young player. If the Jets want one of the QB's in the upcoming draft they can move up and get him. Hopefully if they do its Rosen and not Darnold. Then they can spend part of the 80 mil in cap room to fill some holes and have a young team that knows how to win rather than a team carrying on with the culture of failure and losing. 

20 hours ago, AFJF said:

To each his own, but as I’ve said before, my expectation is that this team will be get a QB this offseason whether it’s through trading up or signing a FA.  I’m not the least bit worried that they won’t have a promising young QB next season.

That being said, I’ll enjoy watching the young kids perform well and the few wins I get to watch this season.

I'm going to do my level best to remember this post sometime around draft day. Because the  problem with this is free agency is in March, the draft late April or early May. So if the Jets do not have the top pick or are the top 2 or 3, they will be forced to into the open market to overpay an old QB. And then what happens if one of the top QBs drops down the draft board, other than Mike Mccagnan losing control of his bowels? And picking a defender, of course. 

Losing out  is way simpler, get in the top 2, there's no decision. And you are only paying one QB his draft slot cap money for a few years, not overpaying some vet. That old guy  by definition of being a free agent after his team let him go is iffy anyway.

20 hours ago, AFJF said:

To each his own, but as I’ve said before, my expectation is that this team will be get a QB this offseason whether it’s through trading up or signing a FA.  I’m not the least bit worried that they won’t have a promising young QB next season.

The Jets brain-trust had three years to do this so far and the end result is Josh McCown at QB and a 2nd round QB pick who hasn't thrown a pass in a regular season game yet, so forgive my lack of faith in them in 2018. 

17 hours ago, 56mehl56 said:

National television. Thanksgiving. Patriots. Head in teammates ass. Touchdown.

34 minutes ago, ChuckkieB said:

The Jets brain-trust had three years to do this so far and the end result is Josh McCown at QB and a 2nd round QB pick who hasn't thrown a pass in a regular season game yet, so forgive my lack of faith in them in 2018. 

Sure thing.  

Countless GMs miss a few times before they find their QB. Turns out Mac makes mistakes like the rest of ‘em do.

58 minutes ago, Bugg said:

I'm going to do my level best to remember this post sometime around draft day. Because the  problem with this is free agency is in March, the draft late April or early May. So if the Jets do not have the top pick or are the top 2 or 3, they will be forced to into the open market to overpay an old QB. And then what happens if one of the top QBs drops down the draft board, other than Mike Mccagnan losing control of his bowels? And picking a defender, of course. 

Losing out  is way simpler, get in the top 2, there's no decision. And you are only paying one QB his draft slot cap money for a few years, not overpaying some vet. That old guy  by definition of being a free agent after his team let him go is iffy anyway.

I want a vet and a pick.  Hell, gimme a vet and two QBs in the draft.

Enough is enough.

On 10/11/2017 at 5:35 PM, Pennington said:

I am a long time lurker who just joined to get my thoughts out there.

Sorry but I just do not understand how any Jets fan can be happy with winning these meaningless games. We haven't had a legitimate franchise QB since Namath and this was our best chance to get one with Darnold or Rosen since Parcells stupidly told Peyton Manning he wouldn't draft him.

Are you guys fine with being mediocre or worse or do you just not understand that the easiest way to win a Super Bowl is by drafting a franchise QB. Both Darnold and Rosen have a chance to be top of the league QBs but we have screwed ourselves out of a chance to draft either of them because we won meaningless games with a 38 yr old journeyman QB in McCown.

There is nothing to be excited about and every Jets fan should be livid with the garbage wins. Gastineau Lives and others who agree with him are the smart ones while the guys who rip into him are being incredibly short sighted.

Now go ahead and rip into me for not being a "true fan" for wanting bigger and better things for this franchise over garbage wins in a lost season.

I'm not reading this whole thread, but please tell me someone has already pointed out the irony of someone going by the moniker, Pennington, is chastising others over toiling away in mediocrity????

2 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Sure thing.  

Countless GMs miss a few times before they find their QB. Turns out Mac makes mistakes like the rest of ‘em do.

How much time does this buy Mac?  Everybody else sucks, so it's groovy for him to suck too!!! ;-)

Though, I wonder how many GM's truly do get to keep swinging and missing and keep their job.  You've referenced Newsome but the guy had a Super Bowl with in his first few years, drafted numerous HOF talent and had veteran QB's his first 5 years.  So again he earned a long leash but is he the anomaly?  

Serious question, what other GM out there has been allowed to stick around consistently missing on QB's? 

12 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Sure thing.  

Missing on a QB is one thing.  Missing on a QB and then not addressing the position at all the following year is negligent. 

8 minutes ago, JiF said:

How much time does this buy Mac?  Everybody else sucks, so it's groovy for him to suck too!!! ;-)

Though, I wonder how many GM's truly do get to keep swinging and missing and keep their job.  You've referenced Newsome but the guy had a Super Bowl with in his first few years, drafted numerous HOF talent and had veteran QB's his first 5 years.  So again he earned a long leash but is he the anomaly?  

Serious question, what other GM out there has been allowed to stick around consistently missing on QB's? 

I think GMs who suck are the ones who fail to find talent with almost every one of their acquisitions.

Think John Idzik.

How much time it buys him depends on how well his other acquisitions do.

If your GM shows he’s capable of adding talented young players, you keep him around until he finds a QB, like the Ravens did with Ozzie Newsome.

7 minutes ago, ChuckkieB said:

Missing on a QB is one thing.  Missing on a QB and then not addressing the position at all the following year is negligent. 

Unless you like a few guys the following year more than this years crop and you know you’ll have to be bad to get one, so you cut your best WR and sign a jag QB.

15 minutes ago, JiF said:

Ozzie Newsome’s teams had a record of 60-82 before winning a SB in his 10th season.

3 minutes ago, HighPitch said:

I agree 110% double down on qbs

Back when Idzik has his 12 pick draft, I said he should take 3 QBs and a few folks said that would be wasting resources because that draft was gonna’ set us up for years to come.  LOL

3 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Unless you like a few guys the following year more than this years crop and you know you’ll have to be bad to get one, so you cut your best WR and sign a jag QB.

Except the jag QB should be backing up the less talented Petty or Hackenberg to maximize being "bad" but the jag QB hasn't followed the script and has played well.  Mac then traded for another veteran WR who has also played well instead of giving more snaps to his young and inexperienced WR's. This "strategy" seems all over the place and leads me to believe there is no real strategy.  

1 minute ago, ChuckkieB said:

Except the jag QB should be backing up the less talented Petty or Hackenberg to maximize being "bad" but the jag QB hasn't followed the script and has played well.  Mac then traded for another veteran WR who has also played well instead of giving more snaps to his young and inexperienced WR's. This "strategy" seems all over the place and leads me to believe there is no real strategy.  

I agree.  I think Petty should be starting.  Bowles does not and Mac is not his boss. 

Dont like the handling of Kerley either, but Bowles loves his vets.  I expect Forte to start on Sunday over the superior back in McGuire.

So basically the defense of this GM not finding a QB in his three years and the overall lack of talent that he has acquired is that other GMs suck too. Hey may as well give him a 10 yr extension because the next guy could always be worse.

How about hiring a real winner with a long resume of success in John Dorsey. Let him decide the fate of the GM and coach and go from there. 

18 hours ago, Beerfish said:

The funny thing is half the board thought the actual exciting winning, near playoff team lead by Ftiz two years ago were utter bums and hated on sections of them team.  some of the same people that were deriding sections of that team are all happy as clams with the state of this team and its ground hog day like 5 or 6 wins and picking 6th.

Who, exactly, is actually as happy as a clam? And how happy are clams, really? 

That Fitz led team was a bunch of bums playing the easiest schedule in the league. Like this year's model, they beat up on weak opponents. Same group the following year showed how strong that team really was. This team seems to be playing hard, and the locker room appears to be completely on the same page. Those are positives. I think we all understand the value of a higher (or the highest) draft pick when it comes to getting the franchise QB, but also important for the future of the team is having some young talent to build around. Maybe finding out the players and coaching staff aren't as terrible as many thought heading into the season. 

Don't stress, though, not a lot of wins left on this schedule. 

On 10/11/2017 at 6:36 PM, Charlie Brown said:

Thank you!!!!

I have asked this question or a similar question in thread after thread after thread and there is simply no answer. 

Again the question to the deliberate tankers is: what would you have the Jets do to lose games as you suggest!!!

18zccvsyzl30hgif.gif

On 10/11/2017 at 6:36 PM, Charlie Brown said:

18 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

On SEPTEMBER 15, 2011 the Giants were 100-1 to win the super bowl.  At that point they were 0-1.  By December 4, 2011 they were 6-6 and on a 4 game losing streak.  I bet Giants fans are pissed they won all those meaningless games.  Can you guess who else is 100-1 to with the super bowl? 

JiF?  Who else?  

The Giants had Tom Coughlin, played in an NFCE division that they were able to win at 9-7 that year, a pass rush, and a streaky Eli Manning who is as good as almost anybody when he is hot.

The Jets have Todd Bowles, play in the AFCE which will likely require 11-5 or better to win, no pass rush, and Josh McCown.

Give the "rah rah" delusions a rest...

2 hours ago, slats said:

Who, exactly, is actually as happy as a clam? And how happy are clams, really? 

That Fitz led team was a bunch of bums playing the easiest schedule in the league. Like this year's model, they beat up on weak opponents. Same group the following year showed how strong that team really was. This team seems to be playing hard, and the locker room appears to be completely on the same page. Those are positives. I think we all understand the value of a higher (or the highest) draft pick when it comes to getting the franchise QB, but also important for the future of the team is having some young talent to build around. Maybe finding out the players and coaching staff aren't as terrible as many thought heading into the season. 

Don't stress, though, not a lot of wins left on this schedule. 

This is so incorrect it's not even funny. HaHa. The 2015 team was totally different from the 2016 team which featured the the worst secondary in football (the downfall of Revis).  Fitz constantly had to play from behind, not exactly his forte.  2015 was unique in that it was totally unexpected and provided a glimmer of hope.  The 2016 couldn't stop a nose bleed.  And to compare this year's puppy team to 2015 is ludicrous.  This management and coaching staff have done squat.  If anything, 2015 was magical.   2017 will mask the inevitable - break it down/start all over. And don't ask Casserly for his advice. 

40 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

One of the most underrated albums ever to be honest.  Not a single weak song on the 3 records.

I wish Goerge Martin produced it instead of Phil Spector. It could've been even better. 

Archived