I just don't understand some of you guys

Pennington

2 minutes ago, BigO said:

This is so incorrect it's not even funny. HaHa. The 2015 team was totally different from the 2016 team which featured the the worst secondary in football (the downfall of Revis).  Fitz constantly had to play from behind, not exactly his forte.  2015 was unique in that it was totally unexpected and provided a glimmer of hope.  The 2016 couldn't stop a nose bleed.  And to compare this year's puppy team to 2015 is ludicrous.  This management and coaching staff have done squat.  If anything, Fitz magical 2015 masked the inevitable - break it down/start all over. And don't ask Casserly for his advice. 

False hope, which some of us were capable of identifying. It was 100% about the weak schedule, and then consistently facing teams on that weak schedule who had key players out because of injury. It was a perfect storm for delusion. 

No one is deluded about this year's model. There are just some fans who aren't rooting for the other team every Sunday - as if that's some sort of karmic crime. 

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, slats said:

False hope, which some of us were capable of identifying. It was 100% about the weak schedule, and then consistently facing teams on that weak schedule who had key players out because of injury. It was a perfect storm for delusion. 

No one is deluded about this year's model. There are just some fans who aren't rooting for the other team every Sunday - as if that's some sort of karmic crime. 

Better get yourself together darlin join the human race.

1 hour ago, AFJF said:

I think GMs who suck are the ones who fail to find talent with almost every one of their acquisitions.

Think John Idzik.

How much time it buys him depends on how well his other acquisitions do.

If your GM shows he’s capable of adding talented young players, you keep him around until he finds a QB, like the Ravens did with Ozzie Newsome.

Agreed 100%.  Idzik was one of the worst GM's I've ever seen.

Maybe but you're referencing a GM who got his start in the late 90's.  The game has progressively changed to revolving around 1 position.  I don't think you can keep a job without finding a QB as a GM.  

And you didn't answer my question. ;-).  I'll do some digging see if I can find another example similar to Ozzie. 

1 hour ago, AFJF said:

Ozzie Newsome’s teams had a record of 60-82 before winning a SB in his 10th season.

What?  I thought he was there the whole time as the GM?  haha.  Well then, I'm an idiot and you can throw everything I've been saying out the window.

Still, I think he might one of the few that had that long of a leash to find a QB.  I'll go look and see if I can find a similarly long leash for a GM to find a QB.

21 minutes ago, slats said:

False hope? Fitz's 2015 was the Best QB performance since Testerverde. Totally out the blue. He was never expected to even see the field other than from the bench.  And there is no 'weak' schedule nonsense anymore. Yes some teams are designed with better talent but you need to perform every week at a peak level to win.  Nothing delusional about 2015. It was a fun ride unlike this sh*t show that will come apart at the seams beginning this Sunday. Not that I'm rooting against the Jets as so many here believe some of us are - I'm rooting for the best possible chance to get the top rated QB we can. There is no delusion about this 2017 team. It sucks. The 3 wins are nothing more than ILLUSION.

2 hours ago, AFJF said:

Ozzie Newsome’s teams had a record of 60-82 before winning a SB in his 10th season.

So just a quick glance and some fast research, the answer is no.  There is no GM in the NFL that has been given a longer leash than Ozzie in terms of finding a QB.  Rick Speilman is the only other GM that has just kept swinging and missing (depending on your views of Bridgewater pre injury) who has any real tenure.  David Caldwell to a lesser extent...unless you like Brotles but that's his only attempt.  I guess you could say Howie Roseman but I always thought Reid was basically the GM and he always had vets around too and really only tried with Kolb.

Phil Emery obviously has had some QB finding woes but he hasn't really drafted one until Trubisky.

Elway but he lured over Peyton so he's only had a few recent attempts.  And he's Elway...so...

So really, there aren't too many examples who have survived a bunch of whiff attempts at drafting a QB and I don't think Mac will be an exception.  

1 hour ago, slats said:

I wish Goerge Martin produced it instead of Phil Spector. It could've been even better. 

Other than his wall of sound thing with girl groups, Spector was a douche along with being a convicted murderer. Held a Ramones album hostage. 

3 hours ago, JiF said:

How much time does this buy Mac?  Everybody else sucks, so it's groovy for him to suck too!!! ;-)

Though, I wonder how many GM's truly do get to keep swinging and missing and keep their job.  You've referenced Newsome but the guy had a Super Bowl with in his first few years, drafted numerous HOF talent and had veteran QB's his first 5 years.  So again he earned a long leash but is he the anomaly?  

Serious question, what other GM out there has been allowed to stick around consistently missing on QB's? 

Do we count attempts at FA signings too?

The Texans GM? Shaub, Yates, Keenum, Fitzpatrick, Mallet, Hoyer, Weeden, Osweiler, Savage and now finally Watson. Savage and Watson 

1 hour ago, BigO said:

False hope? Fitz's 2015 was the Best QB performance since Testerverde. Totally out the blue. He was never expected to even see the field other than from the bench.  And there is no 'weak' schedule nonsense anymore. Yes some teams are designed with better talent but you need to perform every week at a peak level to win.  Nothing delusional about 2015. It was a fun ride unlike this sh*t show that will come apart at the seams beginning this Sunday. Not that I'm rooting against the Jets as so many here believe some of us are - I'm rooting for the best possible chance to get the top rated QB we can. There is no delusion about this 2017 team. It sucks. The 3 wins are nothing more than ILLUSION.

Well, clearly you fell for it. Pretty amazing that even with hindsight you still do, though. 

2 hours ago, JiF said:

What?  I thought he was there the whole time as the GM?  haha.  Well then, I'm an idiot and you can throw everything I've been saying out the window.

Still, I think he might one of the few that had that long of a leash to find a QB.  I'll go look and see if I can find a similarly long leash for a GM to find a QB.

He was there the whole time, to include the team’s final four or five seasons in Cleveland.  He cane to Baltimore with them.

20 minutes ago, BigO said:

Lol you sure hate Fitz. What he do to you lol

Held out and stole money from my favorite football team, and pushed back the obviously needed roster overhaul by a full season. 

2 hours ago, BigO said:

What's illusion they beat 2 weak teams (Mia, Cle) and caught a Jags team the week after their London trip . Up above you say there is no weak schedule , but you call this years wins illusion :huh:.

Just now, slats said:

Held out and stole money from my favorite football team, and pushed back the obviously needed roster overhaul by a full season. 

No that was Mac.  He earned that money.  Nor did he have much choice since he did nothing to get a QB.  Fitz had him by the cajones.  It was Mac's own fault.  Mac should have overhauled the roster on his first day, not sign old wasted vets who had clearly past their prime.  He should have cut Geno, traded Mangold and Harris, never signed Revis etc etc etc.  Worse GM in football. SMH. And we STILL don't have a QB. SMH

4 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

What's illusion they beat 2 weak teams (Mia, Cle) and caught a Jags team the week after their London trip . Up above you say there is no weak schedule , but you call this years wins illusion :huh:.

Look up the word.

a thing that is or is likely to be wrongly perceived or interpreted by the senses.
"the illusion makes parallel lines seem to diverge by placing them on a zigzag-striped background"
synonyms: mirage, hallucination, apparition, figment of the imagination, trick of the light, trompe l'oeil; More
  • a deceptive appearance or impression.
    "the illusion of family togetherness"
    synonyms: appearance, impression, semblance; More
  • a false idea or belief.

2017 NY Jets .......Illusion.

The 'illusion' bit is more along the lines of how good of a team do you have at a point in time.  The big 'illusion' year was REx's 8-8 year when the team won two games late when the other teams just handed games to us and we got totally demolished in almost every loss and gave up and ungodly # of big play tds.

That year people were trumpeting rex for a great coaching job and the team for being close to a playoff team when really they were about a 5 win team.  They didn't have the guts or brains to act on what they really saw vs the record and long term no you are not what your record says you are.

22 minutes ago, BigO said:

No that was Mac.  He earned that money.  Nor did he have much choice since he did nothing to get a QB.  Fitz had him by the cajones.  It was Mac's own fault.  Mac should have overhauled the roster on his first day, not sign old wasted vets who had clearly past their prime.  He should have cut Geno, traded Mangold and Harris, never signed Revis etc etc etc.  Worse GM in football. SMH. And we STILL don't have a QB. SMH

No, he didn't. He sucked. He was heaving up 25 yard passes with his entire body, and they fluttered to Marshall or Decker who consistently bailed him out. Decker got hurt, the schedule got tougher, and he revealed himself for who he was all along. He only had Maccagnan by the cajones because Mac let him. Mac should've rescinded the offer completely, leaving Fitz to follow up on the exactly zero other offers he had to choose from. 

Just now, slats said:

No, he didn't. He sucked. He was heaving up 25 yard passes with his entire body, and they fluttered to Marshall or Decker who consistently bailed him out. Decker got hurt, the schedule got tougher, and he revealed himself for who he was all along. He only had Maccagnan by the cajones because Mac let him. Mac should've rescinded the offer completely, leaving Fitz to follow up on the exactly zero other offers he had to choose from. 

His stats for 2015 resulted in his 2016 salary. He had an outstanding year.  Personally. I would only have signed him as a backup.  As soon as mac was hired, his first order of business should have been to cut Geno and find a QB.  This whole thing would have taken a different direction. Instead, Mac has spiraled this organization into crapola and compounded it by signing a has been relic like McGone.  

On 10/13/2017 at 2:18 PM, Beerfish said:

The 'illusion' bit is more along the lines of how good of a team do you have at a point in time.  The big 'illusion' year was REx's 8-8 year when the team won two games late when the other teams just handed games to us and we got totally demolished in almost every loss and gave up and ungodly # of big play tds.

That year people were trumpeting rex for a great coaching job and the team for being close to a playoff team when really they were about a 5 win team.  They didn't have the guts or brains to act on what they really saw vs the record and long term no you are not what your record says you are.

Eh.  I don't think the 2013 team was such an illusion.  I think Rex did do a pretty good job with that team.  They were very close to top 10 in points allowed and managed to win games despite Geno. The team's top WR was Kerley and with Holmes obviously a dog with lingering injury issues, Stephen Hill and David Nelson, there was hope for the future.  I think Idzik, like most, expected a 4 win season.  When they went 8-8, Idzik sandbagged Rex at CB for 2014 and caused that mess which - along with his horrific draft and worse press conference got him cleaned out too. 

On 10/13/2017 at 2:41 PM, BigO said:

His stats for 2015 resulted in his 2016 salary. He had an outstanding year.  Personally. I would only have signed him as a backup.  As soon as mac was hired, his first order of business should have been to cut Geno and find a QB.  This whole thing would have taken a different direction. Instead, Mac has spiraled this organization into crapola and compounded it by signing a has been relic like McGone.  

A smart GM pays under pays for what he expects a player will do in the future.  I stupid one overpays for what a player has done in the past.  Which do we have?

On 10/13/2017 at 11:13 AM, slats said:

I wish Goerge Martin produced it instead of Phil Spector. It could've been even better. 

????????????

amd-broncos-elway-jpg.jpg

Archived