Post your theories as to why Bryce Petty won't start next week.

T0mShane

22 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

While it's kind of comforting watching McCown throw to Jeremy Kerley and Matt Forte, we're now almost halfway through the 2017 season and it's time to stop jerking around, or is it? McCown is McCown is McCown, etc. So what excuse will Bowles and the Jets use to keep trotting him out there? 

Reminder:  Fans don't need to see what we have in X, Y or Z for the organization to know what we have in X, Y or Z.

I'd love to see Petty.  I'd love to even see Hack, nightmare tho it would likely be.  I never wanted McCown signed.

But he is, and he's the #1, and he will be until we are eliminated from contention.  That's just how it is.

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Warfish said:

Reminder:  Fans don't need to see what we have in X, Y or Z for the organization to know what we have in X, Y or Z.

I'd love to see Petty.  I'd love to even see Hack, nightmare tho it would likely be.  I never wanted McCown signed.

But he is, and he's the #1, and he will be until we are eliminated from contention.  That's just how it is.

in a way, Bowles and Macc are the realest fans of all

28 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

While it's kind of comforting watching McCown throw to Jeremy Kerley and Matt Forte, we're now almost halfway through the 2017 season and it's time to stop jerking around, or is it? McCown is McCown is McCown, etc. So what excuse will Bowles and the Jets use to keep trotting him out there? 

Ooo! Ooo! Ooo!

My favorite is that our O-line is trash and Petty will just end up being hurt if we put him in the game, so let's just throw out the injury-prone grandpa.

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

This presumes the organization has some latent expertise in identifying talent.

No, it's a reminder that we fans have no control, and our opinions mean nothing.  The future of Petty and Hack will be decided by the organization, not us, and seeing them play in games isn't required for them to make that determination.

I too want to see them play.  But they're not going to, not for some times yet.

45 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Manish will make fun of him. 

A sensible GM would be on the phone to the Packers and the Raiders looking to see what they might offer for McCown. Got your feel good story about having a good showing during a  trying season. That is over.  Time for everyone to get on board with the tank. 

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

This * 1000

Of course, there's no way there will be a QB change while the Jets are still competing like this.  Bowles will say "he gives us the best chance to win".  Who cares about finding out about potential future QBs.  Maybe this year Petty will play in week 17 and Hack will get some garbage time hand-offs.  Hack needs (whatever number of years it has already been plus one) years of "seasoning".

2 minutes ago, DMan77 said:

"Best chance to win" is what we'll hear for another 2-3 weeks is my guess. If they lose those, you'll start seeing Petty. 

Remember last year when they wouldn't bench Fitz until we were eliminated.  I think FitzClown is our QB until week 14 or 15.  Then Petty gets in there and Hack maybe gets a few snaps in garbage time week 17.  

5 minutes ago, Bugg said:

A sensible GM would be on the phone to the Packers and the Raiders looking to see what they might offer for McCown. Got your feel good story about having a good showing during a  trying season. That is over.  Time for everyone to get on board with the tank. 

He'll trade him to Tampa...

...for Ryan Fitzpatrick and a conditional 6th round pick that can become a 5th.

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

probably because they haven't reached 7 or 8 losses yet. i think i would've considered putting in petty today.  mccown was playing well but he just wasn't going to win that game.

1 minute ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Remember last year when they wouldn't bench Fitz until we were eliminated.  I think FitzClown is our QB until week 14 or 15.  Then Petty gets in there and Hack maybe gets a few snaps in garbage time week 17.  

Woof. You're probably right...

I do feel like there's more urgency this year to figure out the QB situation than last year... My feelings probably don't mean much though, heh... But I could see them having more of a sense of the season in a few weeks and maybe think about the switch... I've always had my eye on the game against the Bucs before the bye, or the Panthers after the bye as the game where maybe someone comes in.

Just now, DMan77 said:

Woof. You're probably right...

I do feel like there's more urgency this year to figure out the QB situation than last year... My feelings probably don't mean much though, heh... But I could see them having more of a sense of the season in a few weeks and maybe think about the switch... I've always had my eye on the game against the Bucs before the bye, or the Panthers after the bye as the game where maybe someone comes in.

I see absolutely zero urgency from our HC/FO to learn about our young QBs.

3 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

This * 1000

Of course, there's no way there will be a QB change while the Jets are still competing like this.  Bowles will say "he gives us the best chance to win".  Who cares about finding out about potential future QBs.  Maybe this year Petty will play in week 17 and Hack will get some garbage time hand-offs.  Hack needs (whatever number of years it has already been plus one) years of "seasoning".

the thing is does the performance one season carry over that much to the next?  i'd rather see petty or hack in.  mccown has played much better than i expected but at the expense of knowing more about the other guys.  if the seasons don't carry over then there's no point to playing petty or hack no matter how this season turns out.  on the other hand, if play does carry over then the sooner they get in the better.

3 minutes ago, rangerous said:

the thing is does the performance one season carry over that much to the next?  i'd rather see petty or hack in.  mccown has played much better than i expected but at the expense of knowing more about the other guys.  if the seasons don't carry over then there's no point to playing petty or hack no matter how this season turns out.  on the other hand, if play does carry over then the sooner they get in the better.

Yes I was being completely sarcastic.  I think we all want to see either Petty or Hack in there.  Personally I want to see Hack but would be fine with giving Petty a shot first.  Basically anything other than FitzClown would be fine.

Just now, Saul Goodman said:

I like Petty but he's a career backup. There's no reason to play him until we are mathmatically out of it. And tanking isn't a reason, we are way past that. 

What about Hack though?  I still have hope for him (even though I know everyone is down on him).  I'd much rather see him get experience than watch the FitzClown show every week. 

5 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I see absolutely zero urgency from our HC/FO to learn about our young QBs.

Well that's why I said 'I' feel... I'm looking at the factors out there and saying I could feel it if it was me.

I think last year they were - not impressed with Petty, giving Hack the "red shirt" year by design, and giving Fitz too much leash because of the year before.

So again, just my feelings. Not saying there's any hint of it in the organization... But they seem to like Petty enough to name him the number 2, they likely know they need to find out what they have with Hack, and they don't 'owe' McCown anything... So I could see them pulling the trigger sooner... Doesn't mean they will!

I just see fewer reasons (outside of complete stubbornness, which is a huge one) that they can hang their hats on for not playing someone else.

Just now, DMan77 said:

Well that's why I said 'I' feel... I'm looking at the factors out there and saying I could feel it if it was me.

I think last year they were - not impressed with Petty, giving Hack the "red shirt" year by design, and giving Fitz too much leash because of the year before.

So again, just my feelings. Not saying there's any hint of it in the organization... But they seem to like Petty enough to name him the number 2, they likely know they need to find out what they have with Hack, and they don't 'owe' McCown anything... So I could see them pulling the trigger sooner... Doesn't mean they will!

I just see fewer reasons (outside of complete stubbornness, which is a huge one) that they can hang their hats on for not playing someone else.

We just played a close game with the Pats and that was despite a a bad call going against us.  FitzClown is firmly entrenched as the starter here unless things go off the rails.

Archived