Maybe The Jets Were Never as Bad as Advertised...

DMan77

The Jets aren't a good team. They're likely looking at double digit loses... But maybe a lot of us got swindled and hoodwinked in the off season by the constant media barrage of expert analysis on just how bad they would be. Maybe people didn't look closely enough at the people the Jets kicked to the curb or the ones they brought in to replace them. Maybe a lot of people made some assumptions and the rest of the flock just rolled with them, instead of looking a little closer.

I know there are a lot of people on the 'tank wagon' who are happy today but maybe unhappy overall with the Jets wins... But maybe you got fooled from the beginning. Maybe you got your hopes up about a winless season because the world told you they'd be historically bad. Maybe they were never actually in that category...

I know stepping back now is really hard, but if you try to I think you can tell the Jets were going to be improved in a lot of areas.

1. Chemistry. Won't spend a lot if time on it because it's hard to quantify. But man these guys are out there to play and to prove something... Haven't seen that in a while. They're resilient and they lost some bad character guys. Looking back the atmosphere was always going to improve over there this year. 

2. Cornebacks. Again, they're not world beaters but they're better than last year. Just being mediocre was going to be worlds ahead of last year.

3. Safeties. Much improved. Again the Jets were so bad there last year that just a little talent was going to improve things.

4. QB. Overall McCown might not be a great one, but he's much better than Fitz, and was always going to be better this year.

5. TE. A completely ignored part of the game has become a huge one. 

6. Play calling: It's been better and a west coast offense suits the makeup of the team almost perfectly.

7. The NFL: The NFL is fairly watered down right now. There are some great teams, sure, but there's also plenty that are fairly evenly matched, which leads to more 'coin flip' games that teams can win.

Again those aren't just things we know now... Those are things we and the media could have looked at BEFORE the season and fairly said "Yep, they're better in a few areas, aren't they?".

I know some people have been shouting this for a while, so kudos to you... I know there were a lot of people who were ringing their hands thinking about that 0-16 season... But looking back now and really trying to take a look at how the team shaped up; maybe that was never even in the cards. Maybe despite how bad they are and the talent they're missing they were still improved in a lot of areas and always going to be a team that grabs a handful of wins and looks better as the season goes on. Maybe a little more in-depth look at the Jets and less follow-the-leader from the media would have helped some folks not get themselves hyped for the 1st pick so much... Because maybe, good or bad, they were always going to be better than that.

Again - The Jets aren't a good team. They're going to lose plenty of games... But looking back now I think it's fair to say they were pretty badly evaluated coming into this year... They improved in some crucial areas, got younger and more athletic, fixed the clubhouse, updated the playcalling, and brought in guys that fit... 

A lot of people will be calling the Jets a "surprise" team, or saying that "no one saw this coming"... But maybe we should have. Maybe they were never going to be as bad as advertised... 

they were better by getting rid of all the dead wood, but truth, the biggest change here is the new OC and a qb who can run the offense.  the wrs are better, the line blocks better, the team converts on key downs at least sometimes and they're usually competitive.  the offense looks normal, not a joke like with all the OCs of the past decade.  bowles found coaches who could make him look like a competent hc and that's the difference this year.

It's to be expected. Nobody knows any of the names on the team, so they expect that they're nobodies. I'm really very happy with some of the young talent on this team, especially at WR. We get a qb, an edge rusher, and some better run-blocking o-live, and this could be a good YOUNG team...

23 minutes ago, DMan77 said:

The Jets aren't a good team. They're likely looking at double digit loses... But maybe a lot of us got swindled and hoodwinked in the off season by the constant media barrage of expert analysis on just how bad they would be. Maybe people didn't look closely enough at the people the Jets kicked to the curb or the ones they brought in to replace them. Maybe a lot of people made some assumptions and the rest of the flock just rolled with them, instead of looking a little closer.

I know there are a lot of people on the 'tank wagon' who are happy today but maybe unhappy overall with the Jets wins... But maybe you got fooled from the beginning. Maybe you got your hopes up about a winless season because the world told you they'd be historically bad. Maybe they were never actually in that category...

I know stepping back now is really hard, but if you try to I think you can tell the Jets were going to be improved in a lot of areas.

1. Chemistry. Won't spend a lot if time on it because it's hard to quantify. But man these guys are out there to play and to prove something... Haven't seen that in a while. They're resilient and they lost some bad character guys. Looking back the atmosphere was always going to improve over there this year. 

2. Cornebacks. Again, they're not world beaters but they're better than last year. Just being mediocre was going to be worlds ahead of last year.

3. Safeties. Much improved. Again the Jets were so bad there last year that just a little talent was going to improve things.

4. QB. Overall McCown might not be a great one, but he's much better than Fitz, and was always going to be better this year.

5. TE. A completely ignored part of the game has become a huge one. 

6. Play calling: It's been better and a west coast offense suits the makeup of the team almost perfectly.

7. The NFL: The NFL is fairly watered down right now. There are some great teams, sure, but there's also plenty that are fairly evenly matched, which leads to more 'coin flip' games that teams can win.

Again those aren't just things we know now... Those are things we and the media could have looked at BEFORE the season and fairly said "Yep, they're better in a few areas, aren't they?".

I know some people have been shouting this for a while, so kudos to you... I know there were a lot of people who were ringing their hands thinking about that 0-16 season... But looking back now and really trying to take a look at how the team shaped up; maybe that was never even in the cards. Maybe despite how bad they are and the talent they're missing they were still improved in a lot of areas and always going to be a team that grabs a handful of wins and looks better as the season goes on. Maybe a little more in-depth look at the Jets and less follow-the-leader from the media would have helped some folks not get themselves hyped for the 1st pick so much... Because maybe, good or bad, they were always going to be better than that.

Again - The Jets aren't a good team. They're going to lose plenty of games... But looking back now I think it's fair to say they were pretty badly evaluated coming into this year... They improved in some crucial areas, got younger and more athletic, fixed the clubhouse, updated the playcalling, and brought in guys that fit... 

A lot of people will be calling the Jets a "surprise" team, or saying that "no one saw this coming"... But maybe we should have. Maybe they were never going to be as bad as advertised... 

they never were as bad as advertised.  and bowles has never been as bad as many people think.  he needs some good credit for keeping this team on the right track. today may be a setback and we'll see if they come back and beat the doltfins next week and so on.  it was a bad loss but not all because they don't have the talent etc.  it was bad because the win was essentially taken away from them.  you could tell asj was visibly shaken after the non-td call.

there's a lot of football left to play and we'll see if this team is coming together.

The roster is made up mostly of rookies and young players, waiver wire pickups, depth players cut from other teams. It was a pretty slim roster with youth but they're developing and playing hard. You have to give credit to the coaching staff. 

With the lack of talent, the margin for error is razor thin. Probably not enough talent to overcome a few mistakes here and there even with the effort the team is giving.

I said it a lot this offseason. They didn't cut anyone who was good. That doesn't mean they are a great team. But that is why I thought 6 wins was something they would top.

David Harris. Nick Mangold. Darrelle Revis. Brandon Marhshall. Eric Decker. Marcus Gilchrist. Anyone miss any of those guys? None of them had good years last year and in some cases they cleaned up the locker room by getting rid of them (Marshall).

1 minute ago, Maxman said:

I said it a lot this offseason. They didn't cut anyone who was good. That doesn't mean they are a great team. But that is why I thought 6 wins was something they would top.

David Harris. Nick Mangold. Darrelle Revis. Brandon Marhshall. Eric Decker. Marcus Gilchrist. Anyone miss any of those guys? None of them had good years last year and in some cases they cleaned up the locker room by getting rid of them (Marshall).

The secondary was a disgrace last season. Claiborne's played well. With the last place schedule its not surprising they'll end up winning 6 games or so. The lack of young talent 3 years into this regime is frustrating. Not taking Watson for a strong safety should cost both of them their jobs.

3 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

The secondary was a disgrace last season. Claiborne's played well. With the last place schedule its not surprising they'll end up winning 6 games or so. The lack of young talent 3 years into this regime is frustrating. Not taking Watson for a strong safety should cost both of them their jobs.

Why would Bowles get fired for someone that Macc drafted?

That is like firing Macc because Bowles stuck with Kacy. Each one will get evaluated independently.

1 minute ago, Maxman said:

Why would Bowles get fired for someone that Macc drafted?

That is like firing Macc because Bowles stuck with Kacy. Each one will get evaluated independently.

Evaluating these guys as independents when they're clearly not would be foolish. Drafting Cardinal like personnel for the defense obviously has Bowles' hands on it.

I agree with this generally, although I don't know how many games they win without Kearse and Ealy, who they basically signed at the last minute.

Those who thought the Jets could be ok thought it would be driven by the DL, which has not been good.  

But for some reason(s), which probably include the outstanding play of the S in the games they won, the OC and scheme, and ASJ getting his stuff together (which he did not have last year and when he was picked up), the Jets are 3-3.  They are ok-not great, but better than the teams with worse records.

Many had the Chargers as a win-I am not so sure about that.  

6 hours ago, Maxman said:

I was 100%!in agreement with the team not “tanking” until they cut Decker.  

Yes, he’s not doing much now, but that doesn’t change the fact that at the time he was cut, he was our most accomplished WR on a team that was going to need as much help as possible for the QBs.

This team doesn’t have a lot of proven talent, but we know now that they have some young guys who can hold their own.

Some encouraging stuff.

The question remains: Who is our QB?  Going 6-10 or better isn't getting us Darnold or Rosen.  Do we just pray we can sign someone like Brees or Alex Smith?  Even so, they probably will retire the same time as Brady.  I can't go with another year of McCown.

The best possible path for this team is drafting a Darnold/Rosen and having them get some experience under their belt to start preparing for the end of the Brady era in 5-7 years.  Looks like that's not happening now.  Oh well back to the drawing board.

14 hours ago, Augustiniak said:

they were better by getting rid of all the dead wood, but truth, the biggest change here is the new OC and a qb who can run the offense.  the wrs are better, the line blocks better, the team converts on key downs at least sometimes and they're usually competitive.  the offense looks normal, not a joke like with all the OCs of the past decade.  bowles found coaches who could make him look like a competent hc and that's the difference this year.

The Jets are an average QB away from being a playoff team, McCown just not cutting it this offense is averaging less then 19 Points per game that's just not good enough, and trust me McCown is the sole responsibility for the Jets leaving 7-10 PPG out on the field.

People feel like they know things so when a team is made up of players that all unknown the only logical reaction is to say that the team is bad rather than admitting that we might not know something.

The team has exciting pieces. Our WR are intriguing and reliable if they came back with the same group next year we’d be fine. On the o-line Johnson and Beachum can be upgraded but neither is a problem they’re just okay. We need a pass rusher and an upgrade from Pennel. QB remains the biggest issue because McCown’s mistakes cost us this game and almost cost us the Jags game.  

posted this in another thread but meant to poet it here:

Year one Bowles was a rookie HC and was in over his head.  Poor in game management in general but the vets and Fitz's insanely good year bailed him out.

Year two Bowles still with poor in game management AND aging vets were out of control with their combined ego trips.  Bowles and his over the hill OC and his other assistant coaches lost all control.

Year three Mac (correctly) purges the vets.  Bowles purges his CS.  Bowles either gets lucky signing Morton and a few other CS upgrades or he is actually settling in to his HC responsibilities.  Mac signs a few waver wire FA's and all of a sudden there is team chemistry happening here.  

Bowles is managing the team, both in game and in prep, much much better.  Mac created the roster that Bowles is able to coach.  Win/win.    

Until we get a QB, the franchise is spinning it's wheels.  I thought this team had a realistic chance of getting one of the first 2 picks in the 2018 draft, but McCown has played much better than expected and we got 2 gift wins from truly crappy teams so far.  Regardless, I still think the Jets end up with no more than 4 wins, which will probably land them a top 5 pick.  Hopefully they finally will be in a position to either pick or trade up for a franchise QB.

38 minutes ago, jamesr said:

Worth bearing in mind that neither Kearse nor Kerley were on the team when the prognostications of historical ineptitude were being made. Credit to Mac for picking these guys up, they've made a big difference.

And Kony Ealy.  He's easily been the best player on D.  So basically our 3 best players were picked up after camp and all the predictions. 

It also helps playing sh*tty teams. 

I think the biggest take away from this offseason for Jets fans should be; there are no NFL "experts, so stop calling them that and stop listening to these blowhards like their word is gospel.  They don't know more than the average fan that has a decent amount of Football knowledge and that pays the slightest bit of attention.  These dudes are wrong 90% of the time.  

13 hours ago, Matt39 said:

Evaluating these guys as independents when they're clearly not would be foolish. Drafting Cardinal like personnel for the defense obviously has Bowles' hands on it.

This x10000.

If anyone has listened to press conferences, and read the tea leaves, its been painfully obvious that Maccagnan is here to serve the HC, and in no way has authority to draft the guys he wants on an island. I am sure he has plenty of input, but I have always felt that Bowles has more power in the personnel department than Maccangna does. And, IMO, I actually do prefer this. I am more of the Parcells school of thought of letting the chef pick the groceries. The question is, is the chef a good chef or not.

Archived