Should we root for the 49ers to get the #1 pick?

TuscanyTile2

30 minutes ago, Dinamite said:

I think the redskins probably franchise cousins and then trade him to the 49rs for their pick.

BTW, we can collectively cheer against Seattle because we have their 2nd round pick...

No chance he gets franchised and then traded.  He'd get $30+million for the season.  

3 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

Honestly anyone thinking about getting a top 2 QB is just lost, that ship has sailed, the Jets besides the QB, and at times the HC are a decent team, start looking at the FA market.

Or the second tier of draftable QBs. 

Or both honestly.  Get a serviceable FA qb who is not 55 years old and draft a solid project like Mayfield/Falk/etc.  Assuming Petty can't be that veteran...

Just now, Dinamite said:

Or both honestly.  Get a serviceable FA qb who is not 55 years old and draft a solid project like Mayfield/Falk/etc.  Assuming Petty can't be that veteran...

See the problem is Mayfield, or Falk ect are not solid.

3 minutes ago, Dinamite said:

No more project QBs. We don't have Belichick or Bill Walsh. Our coaching staff needs a HOF-grade superstar right off the showroom floor. 

22 minutes ago, jetrider said:

No more project QBs. We don't have Belichick or Bill Walsh. Our coaching staff needs a HOF-grade superstar right off the showroom floor. 

And where exactly do they find that? In the draft? FA? Darnold is most likely staying in school and judging by his up and down play rightly so. That and his inability to handle the pressure at USC show's that he is not ready for the microscope that is playing in NY. Cousins? Okay. Your gonna have to overpay him to come here as he will be coming to a team that IS young and hungry but has holes and a suspect OL. Anyone else is a crap shoot when it comes to a "HOF GRADE SUPERSTAR" and Cousins is not even at that level yet. The only way to find that guy is too develop him yourself. With this coaching staff I agree that's a long shot. I sincerely don't have an answer when it comes to what to do for the future of this team at the QB position. I like Mayfields game alot but once again there are questions concerning him. I do believe he could handle playing here but will Bowles play him? NO. The best I can come up with is try to get Alex Smith and draft a guy like Mayfield or whomever distinguishes themselves through the end of the CFB season. Smith plays a few seasons and they hand the reigns to that guy when they feel he is ready. Hopefully it won't be Bowles that is the HC because he is not the guy to have at the helm.

21 minutes ago, JetFaninMI said:

And where exactly do they find that? In the draft? FA? Darnold is most likely staying in school and judging by his up and down play rightly so. That and his inability to handle the pressure at USC show's that he is not ready for the microscope that is playing in NY. Cousins? Okay. Your gonna have to overpay him to come here as he will be coming to a team that IS young and hungry but has holes and a suspect OL. Anyone else is a crap shoot when it comes to a "HOF GRADE SUPERSTAR" and Cousins is not even at that level yet. The only way to find that guy is too develop him yourself. With this coaching staff I agree that's a long shot. I sincerely don't have an answer when it comes to what to do for the future of this team at the QB position. I like Mayfields game alot but once again there are questions concerning him. I do believe he could handle playing here but will Bowles play him? NO. The best I can come up with is try to get Alex Smith and draft a guy like Mayfield or whomever distinguishes themselves through the end of the CFB season. Smith plays a few seasons and they hand the reigns to that guy when they feel he is ready. Hopefully it won't be Bowles that is the HC because he is not the guy to have at the helm.

Alex Smith will cost a fortune as well.  In retrospect I think we really screwed up by not taking a shot on Watson or Mahomes.

Since Cousins is reportedly likely to go there next year then at least the 49ers are a team we can trade with.  

The Redskins will not let cousins go. If a team finds a decent qb they will do everything to keep him. Doesn't matter there was some drama with him over the off-season they will not let him go.

Sent from my LGUS991 using JetNation.com mobile app

9 hours ago, bealeb319 said:

The Redskins will not let cousins go. If a team finds a decent qb they will do everything to keep him. Doesn't matter there was some drama with him over the off-season they will not let him go.

If they wanted to have Cousins long term, they would have done it by now. 

Also, Cousins isn’t coming to the Jets and the Jets should have zero interest in Alex Smith. None. 

13 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Since Cousins is reportedly likely to go there next year then at least the 49ers are a team we can trade with.  

If they get #1 they aren't signing Cousins, he will want a blockbuster deal, 5 year plus.

You draft your future Franchise QB who's on a rookie contract for 5 years. It's 4 years before you pay him. It gives you 4/5 years of cheap play you can spend on others. 

If they wanted to have Cousins long term, they would have done it by now. 
Also, Cousins isn’t coming to the Jets and the Jets should have zero interest in Alex Smith. None. 

Depending on where we draft I disagree we should have some interest in Alex Smith. We should also have interest in cousins however I don't see cousins going anywhere and I could see the chiefs holding onto Smith too

On 10/15/2017 at 8:19 PM, Lupz27 said:

Honestly anyone thinking about getting a top 2 QB is just lost, that ship has sailed, the Jets besides the QB, and at times the HC are a decent team, start looking at the FA market.

if the season ended today they'd be picking no better than 12.  the real stinkers are the browns, 49ers, giaints.  those teams have 1 or less wins.  there are a number of teams that have 2 wins including the raiders, cincy, cowgirls, chargers, titans, colts, bears and buccaneers. of those team i can see cincy or the  chargers wanting to grab a qb. of the 3-3 teams i can see the cardinals, ravens and jags. so realistically the jets are competing with 8 other teams for a top qb prospect. and realistically, most of those 8 teams will finish with an equal or better record than the jets.  one dark horse to consider is pittsburgh.  roethlisberger is getting ready to retire. i'd wager if he wins a sb he retires. and even if they can't land a top qb prospect, there will be a few good free agents coming out.

Archived