Bowles horrendous time managment rears its ugly head.....again

Jetsbb

3 minutes ago, LIJetsFan said:

Sorry but I disagree.  On the whole the only teams that are able to to do this well and consistently are those with an above average QB.  This is something Bowles has lacked during his tenure.  When your QB is borderline overwhelmed, be it due to lack of ability or brain power, then the offense isn't going to be as crisp as you'd like.  Journeyman QB's get you journeymen O's.  You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.  

All things considered, I like out offense this year.         

I myself am not fond of cold eggs. ??

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, SAR I said:

Momentum had shifted, Patriots had scored, Jets couldn't move the ball.  Several three-and-outs, after a bye funk the Patriots were on their game again.

With 1:38 left in the half, the Patriots move the ball and line up for a FG.  47 yards.  A gimmie for Gostkowski.  He misses.  Bullet dodged.  Only 1:08 on the board.  Jets can kill the clock and despite how poorly the second quarter went still feel good that they're up by 7 against the Super Bowl Champs.  Great halftime awaits.  Rah rah speeches.  Lots of energy.  Go Jets.

Instead, it's 6 straight passes, 2 of which stop the clock, and 1 of which is an interception.  What?  6 straight passes?  Josh McCown?  Interception.  Belichick is playing with house money, goes for the home run pass, why not, bing bang boom, game is tied in under 26 seconds.  26 seconds.  Touchdown.

There was a time and a place to be aggressive, and 1:08 on the clock having just dodged a bullet and ready to put Tom in the locker room feeling despondent is not one of them.  Bowles lost the game right then and there.

SAR I

Lol

How poorly the 2nd quarter went? They scored a TD in the 2nd quarter. The 3 punts were due to failure to convert on 3 very makable 3rd & shorts. In other words, this was not a situation where our offense was just getting dominated, moving the ball 0-2 yards on 1st & 2nd down and then misfiring badly on 3 consecutive, low-percentage 3rd & longs; this wasn't a situation where the offense kept turning it over; this wasn't a situation where we were playing against an elite (or even a good) defense; this wasn't a situation where we couldn't move the ball or score before those 3 drives. None of that.  

Momentum was most definitely not all-NE. Their previous drive stalled on the 30 and the only reason they even got that far was Jordan Jenkins getting flagged 15 yds for UR. After that flag? 3 straight incomplete pass attempts - including Lee getting away with a blatant DPI and laughing in their face about it - followed by a missed 47-yd FG, after which we were still up by a TD.

Faced with:

• A fragile, one-score lead
  • It's our ball, 1st & 10
  • We have over a minute of clock plus two TOs 
  • Some 23 yards are needed to get into long FG range
  • Pats have the #32-ranked pass defense in the NFL
  • Playing in our house (or anyway, the Jets-version of our own house)
  • Pats' top-5 offense gets the ball to start the 2nd half against our not-top 5 defense

...and you'd take a knee?

Then when NE scores a TD to open the 3rd quarter, we can blame Bowles for moronically trying to sit on a 1-score lead in the first half against Brady, who opens the 2nd half on offense.

We were moving the ball just fine - almost at will on that drive - until Brandon Shell killed it with an unnecessary and blatant penalty. Hell, we were already in FG range when he got flagged. But we should't try to make it a closer FG with the 45 seconds and 2 TOs we have. Why, we might commit a penalty and then turn it over!  

A rah-rah halftime speech from Todd Bowles, right after giving up on his team to close out the half -- this is your serious solution? You must also think only one team gets to rile up their troops during halftime, and that when it comes to giving rah-rah speeches the image of an animated Todd Bowles comes to mind. 

"I just gave up on you because I believe in you!"

rofl

53 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Lol

How poorly the 2nd quarter went? They scored a TD in the 2nd quarter. The 3 punts were due to failure to convert on 3 very makable 3rd & shorts. In other words, this was not a situation where our offense was just getting dominated, moving the ball 0-2 yards on 1st & 2nd down and then misfiring badly on 3 consecutive, low-percentage 3rd & longs; this wasn't a situation where the offense kept turning it over; this wasn't a situation where we were playing against an elite (or even a good) defense; this wasn't a situation where we couldn't move the ball or score before those 3 drives. None of that.  

Momentum was most definitely not all-NE. Their previous drive stalled on the 30 and the only reason they even got that far was Jordan Jenkins getting flagged 15 yds for UR. After that flag? 3 straight incomplete pass attempts - including Lee getting away with a blatant DPI and laughing in their face about it - followed by a missed 47-yd FG, after which we were still up by a TD.

Faced with:

• Pats' top-5 offense gets the ball to start the 2nd half against our not-top 5 defense

Then when NE scores a TD to open the 3rd quarter, we can blame Bowles for moronically trying to sit on a 1-score lead in the first half against Brady, who opens the 2nd half on offense.

We were moving the ball just fine - almost at will on that drive - until Brandon Shell killed it with an unnecessary and blatant penalty. Hell, we were already in FG range when he got flagged. But we should't try to make it a closer FG with the 45 seconds and 2 TOs we have. Why, we might commit a penalty and then turn it over!  

A rah-rah halftime speech from Todd Bowles, right after giving up on his team to close out the half -- this is your serious solution? You must also think only one team gets to rile up their troops during halftime, and that when it comes to giving rah-rah speeches the image of an animated Todd Bowles comes to mind. 

rofl

Jets are not a great offensive football team and really not a very good team at all. For them to beat the Pats means taking some chances and that some of them work out. Down on Bowles forever about being a scared nancy of a coach but right then and there this was a good calculated decision. The Jets knew as everyone did 14 points was not going to win this game. Tom Brady was not going to go into a  shell looking to kick a FG over the next 30 minutes of football. The risk/reward made sense. It failed because of a bad pass, which could happen any time during the game with McCown. It did happen in a  terrible spot there, but doesn't mean the idea was bad at all. 

The rah rah speech-giggles. Anyone who believes that idiocy should get a job in the press box. 

Gotta say I agree with Sperm 100%.  If you are afraid to try and score with 1:08 left in the half, you should just resign and go home.  Yes, you might want to go lower risk, and sprinkle some runs in on 1st and 2nd downs, but taking a knee with 1:08 left?  We killed TB for doing that with 0:40 left against Buffalo.  You can blame the play call or the QB for turning the ball over certainly.  But in this case, I don't blame TB for trying to put another 3 or 7 on the board.  That's what I want in a HC in that situation.

On 10/18/2017 at 7:38 AM, nyjunc said:

normally Bowles would be conservative there but they had a great chance to get in FG range.  The QB made a terrible mistake, you should be able to trust a 38 year old vet in that spot. 

Against Jay Cutler and the Dolphins, definitely.

Against Tom Brady, Bill Belichick, and the defending Super Bowl Champs, it's suicidal. 

SAR I

On 10/18/2017 at 9:36 AM, Sperm Edwards said:

Lol

Faced with:

rofl

If a 5-11 caliber team can somehow steal a 7 point halftime lead against a 13-3 caliber defending Super Bowl Champion team by simply taking a few knees with 1:08 on the clock, you take that every time.  You say 'thank you', you count your lucky stars.

Jets played with fire.  They lost.

How do I know I'm right?  The Patriots scored, right?  ROFL.

SAR I

On 10/18/2017 at 8:19 AM, LIJetsFan said:

Sorry but I disagree.  On the whole the only teams that are able to do this well and consistently are those with an above average QB.  This is something Bowles has lacked during his tenure.  When your QB is borderline overwhelmed, be it due to lack of ability or brain power, then the offense isn't going to be as crisp as you'd like.  Journeyman QB's get you journeymen O's.  You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.  

All things considered, I like out offense this year.         

Thank you.

How come folks don’t get this!!!

We have had some of the worst starting QBs playing over the last two years.  

Now folks are implying that Bowles is somehow holding back the play of McCown!!!!

You can’t make it up.  

15 hours ago, SAR I said:

Against Jay Cutler and the Dolphins, definitely.

Against Tom Brady, Bill Belichick, and the defending Super Bowl Champs, it's suicidal. 

SAR I

you don't beat teams like NE by being conservative, you need to score points.  they made the right call there but it didn't work.  if we took knee the board would have ripped him for it.

8 hours ago, nyjunc said:

you don't beat teams like NE by being conservative, you need to score points.  they made the right call there but it didn't work.  if we took knee the board would have ripped him for it.

They made the right call?

They threw the ball 5x in a row with 1:08 on the clock and eventually got picked off.  And then Tom and Bill went yard in 36 seconds.

Made the right call?  One of the dumbest decisions of the Bowles era.

SAR I

Bowles trying to score more points before halftime was the right thing to try and do. It showed he had faith in his offense and in his players. He needs to continue to have his players' collective backs. The players definitly have his. Did it work? Nope...But I don't think that this part of the game was the reason that they lost.

The refs played a much bigger role than Bowles did!

On 10/19/2017 at 7:24 PM, SAR I said:

If a 5-11 caliber team can somehow steal a 7 point halftime lead against a 13-3 caliber defending Super Bowl Champion team by simply taking a few knees with 1:08 on the clock, you take that every time.  You say 'thank you', you count your lucky stars.

Jets played with fire.  They lost.

How do I know I'm right?  The Patriots scored, right?  ROFL.

SAR I

”We’re winning — maybe we could have built up that lead but I think you guys suck and leading at halftime is worth half a victory in my book.”

Quite the fiery speech material.

The game isn’t over at halftime, so you don’t stop playing when you’re in a great position to put points on the board unless the HC has had a recent testiculectomy. 

So he should play the younger guy even though the coaches jobs are to play the best 11 players and win
They are rebuilding get it not going to playoffs they did this with Fitz last yr, same mistake. & we all know there was not a qb competition

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

21 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

”We’re winning — maybe we could have built up that lead but I think you guys suck and leading at halftime is worth half a victory in my book.”

Quite the fiery speech material.

The game isn’t over at halftime, so you don’t stop playing when you’re in a great position to put points on the board unless the HC has had a recent testiculectomy. 

See?

Today in Miami, Bowles doesn't go for it, punts the ball, backs the Dolphins up.  Adams makes a play, touchdown, defense holds, kills the remainder of the clock on a knee, we're up by 7 at the half.

SAR I

5 minutes ago, SAR I said:

See?

Today in Miami, Bowles doesn't go for it, punts the ball, backs the Dolphins up.  Adams makes a play, touchdown, defense holds, kills the remainder of the clock on a knee, we're up by 7 at the half.

SAR I

And today against this team it was a good decision.

Pats' offense > Dolphins' offense

Brady> Cutler

Math is hard. 

I'm a bit disturbed that I am saying Bowles did 2 things correctly. 

1 minute ago, Bugg said:

And today against this team it was a good decision.

Pats' offense > Dolphins' offense

Brady> Cutler

Math is hard. 

I'm a bit disturbed that I am saying Bowles did 2 things correctly. 

Risk management is on the side of the better team (Patriots) and the better quarterback (Brady).

Last week, you don't play with fire against Belichick and Brady, you don't throw 6 times with 1:08 on the clock.  This week, Bowles learned the lesson.  Didn't play with fire on the road.  Punt, turnover, TD.   We don't give up that cheap TD in 0:26 seconds at the half to the Patriots, we have a much greater chance of winning that game.

SAR I

5 minutes ago, SAR I said:

He does it again!  A minute left.....let's McScrub throw the ball! 

Idiot.

Two games in a row with a killer INT at the half that never, ever should have happened.

SAR I

You are blaming Josh McCown for being...Josh McCown. 

3 hours ago, RESNewYork said:

With 47 seconds and 3 time outs you don't sit on it. 

Yes, you do. If your quarterback is named Josh McCown. 

3 hours ago, RESNewYork said:

The whole field is open for you because you have 3 time outs, you don't have to go sideline. Why McCown forced it to the sideline is inexcusable.

See?

What is wrong with you people?  Time and time again you defend Todd Bowles actions even though the results are disastrous. The issue isn't the play calling.  The issue is not recognizing that his quarterback is Josh McCown.  

"This is the right call!"   No, it's not. Your quarterback is Josh McCown. Look what happened. Twice. In two consecutive weeks. Wins turned into losses. Are you blind?

SAR I

1 minute ago, SAR I said:

See?

What is wrong with you people?  Time and time again you defend Todd Bowles actions even though the results are disastrous. The issue isn't the play calling.  The issue is not recognizing that his quarterback is Josh McCown.  

"This is the right call!"   No, it's not. Your quarterback is Josh McCown. Look what happened. Twice. In two consecutive weeks. Wins turned into losses. Are you blind?

SAR I

SAR I is 100% on with this post. 

28 minutes ago, SAR I said:

See?

SAR I

I am only responding because you quoted me.

Bottom line it was the right call to go for it with 47 seconds and THREE timouts. Every coach in the NFL would have done the same. 

Now if by your logic, you're saying that the COACH KNEW MCCOWN WOULD THROW AN INTERCEPTION, BECAUSE HE IS JOSH MCCOWN, then yes, they should have taken a knee.

On ‎10‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 7:14 PM, SAR I said:

They made the right call?

They threw the ball 5x in a row with 1:08 on the clock and eventually got picked off.  And then Tom and Bill went yard in 36 seconds.

Made the right call?  One of the dumbest decisions of the Bowles era.

SAR I

it was the absolute right call, you need to score to beat NE.  we had an opportunity to score, QB made bad decision.  yesterday was very different, 28 pts should be more than enough to beat Miami but Bowles great D came up small again and when it was tied we should have played for OT.

Maybe the board doesn't understand clock management.

When we played the Pats, fans blamed Bowles for using 2 timeouts in the second half which the Jets needed at the end of the game.

The following week, we have all 3 timeouts at the end of the game, and now fans want Bowles to take a knee, and waste the 3 timeouts.

Which one is it? 

6 hours ago, nyjunc said:

it was the absolute right call, you need to score to beat NE.  we had an opportunity to score, QB made bad decision.  yesterday was very different, 28 pts should be more than enough to beat Miami but Bowles great D came up small again and when it was tied we should have played for OT.

No no no no no no.  No.

It was NOT the absolute right call because IT DIDN'T WORK.

This is the problem with 'theoretical football'.  You're just as guilty at Bowles.  The rules apply IF YOU HAVE A DECENT QUARTERBACK.  The rules go out the window when Josh McCown is your signal caller.  You DON'T trust a guy like that on his 15 yard line with 0:47 seconds left.  He's the worst starting QB in the NFL for a reason.  You coach around him.  You strategize around him.

SAR I

15 minutes ago, SAR I said:

No no no no no no.  No.

It was NOT the absolute right call because IT DIDN'T WORK.

This is the problem with 'theoretical football'.  You're just as guilty at Bowles.  The rules apply IF YOU HAVE A DECENT QUARTERBACK.  The rules go out the window when Josh McCown is your signal caller.  You DON'T trust a guy like that on his 15 yard line with 0:47 seconds left.  He's the worst starting QB in the NFL for a reason.  You coach around him.  You strategize around him.

SAR I

oh so every decision that works is the right one and every decision that fails is the wrong one?

again, against NE you have to score points.  17 pts isn't cutting it against this version of the Brady offense. we needed to score more points, we failed and lost b/c of it.  if we sit on the ball do you think NE doesn't win that game?

2 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

oh so every decision that works is the right one and every decision that fails is the wrong one?

again, against NE you have to score points.  17 pts isn't cutting it against this version of the Brady offense. we needed to score more points, we failed and lost b/c of it.  if we sit on the ball do you think NE doesn't win that game?

We go to OT yesterday, and lose the toss, Moore goes right at Skrine for 4-5 plays, TD, and we lose. Bowles made the right call, he didn't throw the damn ball.

15 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

Don't play that devil's advocate card, it's not right.  Head coaches get paid to ALWAYS make the right decisions.  It's the players that are the variable, it's the players who are allowed to make the mistakes.

In this case, Bowles should not have allowed his OC to tell his QB to throw the ball.  Either last week against the Patriots at the half or yesterday against the Dolphins at the end of regulation.  The proof is there, I really don't need to make up a clever analogy, you saw the outcomes.  Disasters.

Against NE we did enough to score enough points to have a halftime lead if we just run the ball a few times and kill the clock.  Instead, Belichick and Brady go yard in 0:26 seconds and the game is essentially over.  Against MIA we were reeling late in the game and the last thing we wanted to do was give Miami any more momentum.  Take a knee a few times, let the clock run down, let the commercials commence, let the coin flip commence, you literally have a 10 minute period to get your gassed players a bit of rest in the Florida heat and gather their strength and their thoughts.  It's overtime.  It's a fresh start.  Win the toss, start out of the shadow of the endzone, see what happens.

SAR I

7 minutes ago, BurnleyJet said:

It's moot, we don't have a QB, it's about getting one next year come Hell or High water. This year I recommend don't get to emotionally involved, it's not worth it.

LOL my son just bought me  a t-shirt that reads God Damn and its in the older Jets plane logo. God Damn Jets :D

14 hours ago, section314 said:

We go to OT yesterday, and lose the toss, Moore goes right at Skrine for 4-5 plays, TD, and we lose. Bowles made the right call, he didn't throw the damn ball.

and what if we get a stop? what if we hold them to a FG? what if we win the toss?

14 hours ago, SAR I said:

Don't play that devil's advocate card, it's not right.  Head coaches get paid to ALWAYS make the right decisions.  It's the players that are the variable, it's the players who are allowed to make the mistakes.

In this case, Bowles should not have allowed his OC to tell his QB to throw the ball.  Either last week against the Patriots at the half or yesterday against the Dolphins at the end of regulation.  The proof is there, I really don't need to make up a clever analogy, you saw the outcomes.  Disasters.

Against NE we did enough to score enough points to have a halftime lead if we just run the ball a few times and kill the clock.  Instead, Belichick and Brady go yard in 0:26 seconds and the game is essentially over.  Against MIA we were reeling late in the game and the last thing we wanted to do was give Miami any more momentum.  Take a knee a few times, let the clock run down, let the commercials commence, let the coin flip commence, you literally have a 10 minute period to get your gassed players a bit of rest in the Florida heat and gather their strength and their thoughts.  It's overtime.  It's a fresh start.  Win the toss, start out of the shadow of the endzone, see what happens.

SAR I

the goal is not to have a halftime lead, it's to have a lead after the game is over.  we weren't beating NE w/ 14-21 pts.

Archived