ASJ: Won't let "fumble" ruin my redemption year

Patriot Killa

http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/72130/austin-seferian-jenkins-wont-let-fumble-ruin-personal-redemption

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. -- Everybody saw the fumble -- or the touchdown, as it should've been called -- but what you didn't see was how Austin Seferian-Jenkins handled the disappointment after the New York Jets' loss. There were no bobbles.

The big tight end faced a throng of reporters in the locker room, telling everyone he let his team down. He didn't blame the officials, only himself. Someone wondered about the range of emotions. He smiled.

"You score a touchdown and they take it away from you," he said. "I've been through way more emotional things in life than that."

Seferian-Jenkins is one of the best stories in the Jets' unlikely 3-3 start. After nearly destroying his career last fall with a DUI arrest while playing for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, he got a second chance with the Jets. He checked into rehab after last season, gave up drinking and dropped 32 pounds. He talks openly about his battle, embracing the challenge and sobriety.

And now he's one of their best players.

In Sunday's 24-17 loss to the New England Patriots, Seferian-Jenkins caught a career-high eight passes for 46 yards and a touchdown. His previous career high for catches was six, set last week.

Even though he missed the first two games due to an substance-abuse suspension, stemming from the Tampa arrest, Seferian-Jenkins has 23 receptions, second on the team to Jermaine Kearse's 26.

Let's say that again: The Jets have a tight end who has 23 catches. This is the same team that used to treat their tight ends like kids in a crowded house during the holidays. They stuck them at the kids' table, away from the grown ups and all the action.

That the Jets had a tight end involved in such a key play was major news.

In a way, Seferian-Jenkins is emblematic of the Jets -- once discarded, now rejuvenated. His presence in the middle of the field gives them a balanced passing attack, for a change.

"Honestly, this just sucks for Austin because he had a good game," teammate Jeremy Kerley said after the crushing loss. "I would hate it if this is on his conscience because he did ball out. To us, everybody in here, we give him credit for what he did. It was a hell of a catch. Nobody will give him credit for dragging three or four people in the end zone or whatever it was."

With the Jets trailing, 24-14, in the fourth quarter, Seferian-Jenkins caught a short flare route at the 5-yard line, turned toward the end zone and dragged safety Duron Harmon and cornerback Malcolm Butler to the pylon. He bobbled the ball, but regained possession for a touchdown -- or so it seemed.

Somehow, the referee -- with help from the NFL office -- determined in a replay review that he fumbled. They ruled it a touchback, a major momentum swing in the game. Patriots coach Bill Belichick called it "an interesting play," but he said Butler told him it was a fumble. Referee Tony Corrente told a pool reporter it was a "pretty obvious" call.

Right..

Technically, it goes on Seferian-Jenkins' record as a fumble. He thought he scored, but he didn't make a stink about it. Instead, he said he needed to work on his ball security.

"I don't think it does anything for me to come up here and blast the official or blast the rule," he said.

Seferian-Jenkins did his job. If only the officials had done theirs.

at this point you just can't say enough for this guy.  he's proven to be very capable at his position and his answer yesterday showed a level of thought that marshall (last season) only could imagine he achieved.  here's to hoping he blocks this out and move onto the doltfins.  best jet te since shuler.

ASJ was definitely garnering extra attention from the Pats D yesterday as they knew he was our main threat. One one red zone play he split out wide right and the pats D immediately shifted over to double him. I don't doubt he was he main target on the play but McCown saw the extra coverage and had to work the other side, and we got nothing on that play.

Time to Sign This Beast!!!

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

I saw this clip yesterday and loved it. He's speaking the language of personal responsibility and progress, which is a huge deal for people who have had substance abuse issues. Good for him. 

+1 and while real life is way more important than a mere football game, It’s also good for our football team to take that attitude....good for them

I really do like how the team has responded to the call.  Not to beat a dead horse because the guy isn't even in the league anymore but under Rex you could see this team playing the whole victim, woe is me card.  Instead the team has come out and said acknowledged that while they think it was a bad call they had plenty of opportunities and that call would not have guaranteed a win.  You can get on Bowles for some of his in game time management, which don't get me wrong is still a huge part of being a good coach but I will say this.  The guy has been successful at changing the culture, he has a team that is playing hard for him and thinks they can win regardless of the noise and that says a lot.

33 minutes ago, drsamuel84 said:

I really do like how the team has responded to the call.  Not to beat a dead horse because the guy isn't even in the league anymore but under Rex you could see this team playing the whole victim, woe is me card.  Instead the team has come out and said acknowledged that while they think it was a bad call they had plenty of opportunities and that call would not have guaranteed a win.  You can get on Bowles for some of his in game time management, which don't get me wrong is still a huge part of being a good coach but I will say this.  The guy has been successful at changing the culture, he has a team that is playing hard for him and thinks they can win regardless of the noise and that says a lot.

To me this has been the key. I see a team that for the most part is hungry and playing hard. They may not match up in talent level with a lot of teams right now but they are competing.

12 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

To me this has been the key. I see a team that for the most part is hungry and playing hard. They may not match up in talent level with a lot of teams right now but they are competing.

While I have to acknowledge Bowles has done a tremendous job re establishing leadership, accountability, and control of the locker room, I still don't think the Jets problems are being out matched talent wise on the field (Bowles defense has been borderline atrocious in some of these games), Bowles fields a defensive unit full of 1st, and 2nd round talented players, but he is getting out coached with his scheme week in, and week out with no adjustments, we have Leo, Mo Wilk, Ealy, Lee, Davis, Claiborne, Maye, and Adams to name a few who are very good players, now is Mo, and Leo not producing because they have mailed it in in MO's case, or because of Injury in Leo's case possibly, yes Lee misses a ton of tackles, but that has to be coached up with a talent like him, at some point you gotta look at the coach, and say is he putting these guys in the best possible scheme to succeed, I'd say no, now if he had a mismash of no named mid to late round rookies, and journeymen veterans starting then yeah then we can sit here, and say we don't match up talent wise with other teams, but that is not the case this Defense is as talented as most in the league in terms of personnel.

And besides QB the offense isn't as bad as most thought it would be with the emergence of ASJ, and Kearse as being true quality talents worthy of being NFL caliber starters, and IF someone could get Robbie the damn ball in stride we would be talking about one of the premier deep threats in the league, guy is CONSTANTLY 2 steps, or more behind the defense, and the old saying is if your even your open, and this guy is literally behind the D constantly never mind the other times when he is even that most don't recognize as him being open.

Bowles defensive scheme is not working, and the QB is killing the offense who finally has a guy with a good game plan, good scheme, and for the most part a good play caller, and I'll say it again the Jets are a HC(and I only say that because he is the sole creator of that defense, he has done a good job non game days with the locker room)and a good QB (one who can throw the deep ball) from not only being good, but being able to compete with anyone in this watered down league.

5 hours ago, T0mShane said:

I saw this clip yesterday and loved it. He's speaking the language of personal responsibility and progress, which is a huge deal for people who have had substance abuse issues. Good for him. 

hopefully he can keep on the straight and narrow during the offseason.  great to see this guy turn it around and hope he can keep it going.  

He had a great match up against the slow LBs on the pats.  see if he can be consistent against some better cover lbs in the league.

3 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

While I have to acknowledge Bowles has done a tremendous job re establishing leadership, accountability, and control of the locker room, I still don't think the Jets problems are being out matched talent wise on the field (Bowles defense has been borderline atrocious in some of these games), Bowles fields a defensive unit full of 1st, and 2nd round talented players, but he is getting out coached with his scheme week in, and week out with no adjustments, we have Leo, Mo Wilk, Ealy, Lee, Davis, Claiborne, Maye, and Adams to name a few who are very good players, now is Mo, and Leo not producing because they have mailed it in in MO's case, or because of Injury in Leo's case possibly, yes Lee misses a ton of tackles, but that has to be coached up with a talent like him, at some point you gotta look at the coach, and say is he putting these guys in the best possible scheme to succeed, I'd say no, now if he had a mismash of no named mid to late round rookies, and journeymen veterans starting then yeah then we can sit here, and say we don't match up talent wise with other teams, but that is not the case this Defense is as talented as most in the league in terms of personnel.

And besides QB the offense isn't as bad as most thought it would be with the emergence of ASJ, and Kearse as being true quality talents worthy of being NFL caliber starters, and IF someone could get Robbie the damn ball in stride we would be talking about one of the premier deep threats in the league, guy is CONSTANTLY 2 steps, or more behind the defense, and the old saying is if your even your open, and this guy is literally behind the D constantly never mind the other times when he is even that most don't recognize as him being open.

Bowles defensive scheme is not working, and the QB is killing the offense who finally has a guy with a good game plan, good scheme, and for the most part a good play caller, and I'll say it again the Jets are a HC(and I only say that because he is the sole creator of that defense, he has done a good job non game days with the locker room)and a good QB (one who can throw the deep ball) from not only being good, but being able to compete with anyone in this watered down league.

I agree with some of this . But even fixing the team mentality, accountability, leadership is a huge step in the right direction.

While the defense is loaded with high end draft picks , they are not getting blown out in games like they did last season. We can say Bowles defensive scheme is not working but  he can't manufacture a pass rush w/o blitzing the house like Rex. We just don't have a dominating pass rusher , someone who can put fear into a LT and in today's football that's a necessity.  I believe this team is growing and I feel pretty good for the future regardless or what our W-L record shows this season.

5 hours ago, drsamuel84 said:

Since last year, when they were mailing it in like dogs?

4 hours ago, Lupz27 said:

Tremendous post, couldn't agree more. Just wish Bowles would loosen up a bit, stop going conservative all of the time and for gods sakes, get a real DC in here that can run a defense. As you said, we have so many first round and high round picks on that defense and the DL has 0 sacks. It's going into week 7 and our DL has 0 sacks yet we are 3-3, 1 game out of first place.

LOL

40 minutes ago, ASH1962 said:

Tremendous post, couldn't agree more. Just wish Bowles would loosen up a bit, stop going conservative all of the time and for gods sakes, get a real DC in here that can run a defense. As you said, we have so many first round and high round picks on that defense and the DL has 0 sacks. It's going into week 7 and our DL has 0 sacks yet we are 3-3, 1 game out of first place.

LOL

Yeah I'd have no problem giving Bowles some time to improve his in game coaching staying on here, BUT the stipulation would be he has to hire a DC that runs his own defense not Todd Bowles running Todd Bowles defense.  As a HC can still influence the defensive play calls, but not by calling the actual play, but during game situations do what a HC does get on the Mic, and say what he wants to do like let's go Blitz this mother F'r, and when we're on Offense get on the mic to the OC, and say something let's ram it down their throats here, or hey maybe this is a good time to break out some misdirection/trick play we've been working on, stuff like that not calling the exact plays just at important parts of the game doing what the HC is supposed to do interject, and dictate what to do during these important moments.

14 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

Since last year, when they were mailing it in like dogs?

Well, I think there was a huge divide last year that was ripping this team apart last year.  You had a bunch of vets basically threatening to sit out because of a veteran journeyman QB like Fitz who didn't back it up with his play on the field.  And while I think he was a good pickup while he was here I do think that after a while Marshall just runs his course on a team and has a way of rubbing teammates the wrong way plus the dynamic of Marshall and Sheldon was a recipe for disaster.   

A major factor resulting in our defense under performing are the injuries to Leo (wrist) and Mo (shoulder). We just cannot get the push like we did early in the season. No excuses though. It is what it is. That said, I have never been impressed with Kacy Rodgers.

he's turned his life around.  someone probably told him the truth.  you keep drinking, your out of football and life ain't so good.  you get in shape, give up drinking and have a nice season your looking at a big payday that can set you up for a long time.   

i wonder what contract he can sign if he keeps up his play this year.

21 hours ago, Lupz27 said:

I dont understand why fans believe coaches dont make adjustments. Fact. Every coach in the NFL makes adjustments. Some work. Some don't. I played DIII football. The lowest college ball you can play. My coaches made adjustments. 

We just played Tom Brady who was 20 of 38 for 52% completion. 257 yards, his lowest for the season so far. Threw 2 TDs and had 1 pick, and 1 pick dropped. 27 points scored by the #1 offense in the NFL by far which was aided by a PI call that put the Pats in the red zone. 

Narrative before the season. Worst talent in the NFL, unfair to Bowles because how is he supposed to keep his job with this roster, Bowles is the perfect coach for this tank, suck for sam.

Narrative now.

Players are not playing to their potential, players are quitting, we should be better because the coaches suck and can't motivate or scheme.

Or we suck, but don't suck correctly, or don't suck enough, or our level of suckiness is hurting our future.

ASJ is playing for his 2nd contract. 

He will probably get that contract, but don't ever forget that fact. 

On a more general note, it's probably easy for a man who just earned a 6 figure game check to act mature and find ways to get over how bad his job was that afternoon. 

These guys get paid. They aren't fans. They don't really care for the Jets. ASJ hasn't seen Brady beat the Jets 3 dozen times. It's a discouraging day at the office. 

The fans on the other hand, we pay for this. We consume it. I still can't get over the game it's Tuesday. I could have got in the car, driven for three hours and found more entertainment from the radio than from that Jets home game. 

21 hours ago, Lupz27 said:

what defensive scheme works with zero edge rushers? 

the Jets are like hello David Bass you were like the 8th rusher on the Seahawks, would you like a starting job? Kony Ealy is a good story and all but they are getting these guys off the street and thrusting them into starting roles. That's never good.  

20 hours ago, Lupz27 said:

Yeah I'd have no problem giving Bowles some time to improve his in game coaching staying on here, BUT the stipulation would be he has to hire a DC that runs his own defense not Todd Bowles running Todd Bowles defense.  As a HC can still influence the defensive play calls, but not by calling the actual play, but during game situations do what a HC does get on the Mic, and say what he wants to do like let's go Blitz this mother F'r, and when we're on Offense get on the mic to the OC, and say something let's ram it down their throats here, or hey maybe this is a good time to break out some misdirection/trick play we've been working on, stuff like that not calling the exact plays just at important parts of the game doing what the HC is supposed to do interject, and dictate what to do during these important moments.

So basically you want to pay a guy to coach, but insist that he run another guy's defense?  Bowles only got this job because of his defense.  The idea that he can be the coach but needs somebody else like Wade Phillips come in seems silly to me.  

+1 on the lack of edge rushers issue. 

As such a young as this team is... mixed with the fact we should be 4-2 ..going for a fairly easy 5-2 vs Miami(spare me I know they beat ATL) ...future does feel pretty good.. the real test is this second half of the season the schedule after Miami is pretty damn brutal. What will we do? 

2 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

As such a young as this team is... mixed with the fact we should be 4-2 ..going for a fairly easy 5-2 vs Miami(spare me I know they beat ATL) ...future does feel pretty good.. the real test is this second half of the season the schedule after Miami is pretty damn brutal. What will we do? 

That is easy to forecast.  How many wins will drop us out of the running for the top QBs? 

3 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

That is easy to forecast.  How many wins will drop us out of the running for the top QBs? 

Anything more than 2 wins more.. think we are already out of that race. SF/CLE really have it locked down. Giants may get a few more..probably not. Really we can only pray SF takes Cousins in FA this March. I am disappointed about that part of all this team progression. Its hard to be in the middle...but Cleveland is for sure going QB this year and they'll take Rosen from us in a heartbeat.

12 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Anything more than 2 wins more.. think we are already out of that race. SF/CLE really have it locked down. Giants may get a few more..probably not. Really we can only pray SF takes Cousins in FA this March. I am disappointed about that part of all this team progression. Its hard to be in the middle...but Cleveland is for sure going QB this year and they'll take Rosen from us in a heartbeat.

Indy is worse than us too. People are counting on Luck pulling them above us.  I don't see it. 

19 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

Unfortunately I think you are right.  C.J. Beathard did look ok for the 49ers tho

Archived