Jets still in playoff hunt

kevinc855

Some good things happened around the league after the refereees handed the patriots their not deserved w.  The broncos, ravens, jaguars and raiders all lost. Yes the Dolphins won and that one stings but a whole lot of teams sitting at 3-3 (and remember we have the tiebreaker with the jags) jets need to shake this off and respond big with the fins next week. I still smell playoffs the way this team played

1 minute ago, kevinc855 said:

Some good things happened around the league after the refereees handed the patriots their not deserved w.  The broncos, ravens, jaguars and raiders all lost. Yes the Dolphins won and that one stings but a whole lot of teams sitting at 3-3 (and remember we have the tiebreaker with the jags) jets need to shake this off and respond big with the fins next week. I still smell playoffs the way this team played

snapshot.jpgPLAYOFFS? YOU KIDDIN' ME?

I may not see play offs - but neither do I see the supposed historically-bad team we were told that we had all off-season.

And this isn't just due to the "us against the world" mentality ... we genuinely have more talent than many gave us credit for.

54 minutes ago, jamesr said:

I may not see play offs - but neither do I see the supposed historically-bad team we were told that we had all off-season.

And this isn't just due to the "us against the world" mentality ... we genuinely have more talent than many gave us credit for.

Agree.

And, maybe we also have a better coaching staff than many gave us credit for.

2 minutes ago, Skeet Ulrich said:

Aside from the Jets being in last place in their division, they already have 3 conference losses with a few more losses on their schedule. They're not winning any tie breakers(not that you need to when you're gonna be 5-11)

I would bet money the jets do better then 5-11. Already made a nice sum on a wager jets were going 0-16

If the Jets that played the first quarter yesterday played the rest of the season then yes, this is definitely a team that might hit the playoffs. That team would have won yesterday, beat NE twice, split the Bills, etc. Probably not make it to the big game but definitely the playoffs given the state of the AFC. 

The team that showed up the rest of the game...no. The team is still pretty uneven in games. That comes down to an uneven journeyman QB and a coach that makes some pretty bad in-game decisions, especially once he has a lead and wants to play conservatively to protect it. 

32 minutes ago, Happy Clouds said:

Agree.

And, maybe we also have a better coaching staff than many gave us credit for.

the thing is the jets will have a much brighter future if this coaching staff is the real deal.  bowles has been plenty maligned over the past two seasons.  some of it is justified but some is just foolishness.  once the jets get their coaching and gm solidly in place then they will have more freedom to do things and they will be more attractive to free agents. imo, the jury is still out on bowles even though the team has played better than advertised.  there's just too much football left to think he can keep this team together for the whole season. so far it's pretty encouraging. it would be great if they finished the season knowing they have a qb in petty or hack.  and even knowing that the team is just a qb away from being a contender would be a good thing. at that point all you need is cash.

A win yesterday would have been nice, but I can now realistically see going 3-1 over the next 4 games.

I was a supporter of tanking, but Bowles has done a hell of a job with this group.  So I'm gonna enjoy it.

Hell yeah playoffs!

(Watch now they fall apart and start sucking.)

2 minutes ago, rex-n-effect said:

If the Jets that played the first quarter yesterday played the rest of the season then yes, this is definitely a team that might hit the playoffs. That team would have won yesterday, beat NE twice, split the Bills, etc. Probably not make it to the big game but definitely the playoffs given the state of the AFC. 

The team that showed up the rest of the game...no. The team is still pretty uneven in games. That comes down to an uneven journeyman QB and a coach that makes some pretty bad in-game decisions, especially once he has a lead and wants to play conservatively to protect it. 

Exactly. When the offense gets into a rhythm and hitting on all cylinders you have to keep it going. Thats what good teams and coaches do. Downshifting with a lead disrupts that flow and it is very hard to get it back. Just ask Atlanta. A classic case that happened in last years Super Bowl. They did it and could not turn it back on. They wound up blowing a big lead and losing it as we all know. When Bowles gets a lead he stops playing to win and starts playing not to lose. Playing scared never works out well as we all have witnessed. This team does have some promise but is not good enough to turn it on and off. Yes they were ripped off horribly and had a win stolen from them. They still played hard but the damage was done. Bowles has to stick with what works and it seems to me he has not learned that yet. This is one of his major flaws. It will ultimately lead to his downfall.

He also has little ability to make adjustments on Defense when confronted with an opposing coach who does make adjustments. His pigheaded and predictable calls especially on 3rd down are hurting this team late in games. This is something he does almost every game. When have you ever seen him show blitz and then drop guys back into coverage? The answer is hardly if ever if at all. Bowles must adapt in game and he is simply not doing it. This is also a major flaw and must be corrected or it will add to his demise. These are things a HC learns over time. Bowles has had some experience as a HC now and he still hasn't learned these things. This says volumes about his coaching ability. Something has to change and it will probably end up with it being the coach.

16 minutes ago, JiF said:

Im a believer.  

I think the Jets are about to go on a 4 game win streak. 

Next 4 games are at Dolphins, Falcons and Bills at home and at Bucs. Realistically I see them going 1-3 or at best 2-2. Miami is traditionally a tough place to win and they will be looking for some payback. This is the one where we see exactly what this team is made of. If they show no ill effects from yesterdays loss and come out like they did against the Pats I may think differently. If they come out flat then look out because the wheels just may come off. I will judge all other games based on their performance in this one. I see them beating the Bills at home but other than that its hard to predict. After the bye however I see one winnable game and thats the Chargers. So 5-11 or 6-10 is where I see them ending up. Maybe they get a surprise win late in the season but I am skeptical. We can only see what plays out but realistically this is where we are at. It is what it is.

1 hour ago, JetFaninMI said:

Next 4 games are at Dolphins, Falcons and Bills at home and at Bucs. Realistically I see them going 1-3 or at best 2-2. Miami is traditionally a tough place to win and they will be looking for some payback. This is the one where we see exactly what this team is made of. If they show no ill effects from yesterdays loss and come out like they did against the Pats I may think differently. If they come out flat then look out because the wheels just may come off. I will judge all other games based on their performance in this one. I see them beating the Bills at home but other than that its hard to predict. After the bye however I see one winnable game and thats the Chargers. So 5-11 or 6-10 is where I see them ending up. Maybe they get a surprise win late in the season but I am skeptical. We can only see what plays out but realistically this is where we are at. It is what it is.

lolwut

The one game you think they win is the Bills, who already beat us and is likely the toughest team of the four? Jay Cutler and Miami "is the one where we see exactly what this team is made of"? 

That is a strange interpretation of the NFL this season.

Let's entertain this idea for a moment.  Even if you were to believe this team is miraculously much better than the roster, these are the strikes against us now:

* We're 1-2 in the division

* We're - 21 in net points, which is a pretty useful factor in determining whether a team is "legit" or not.  Only 8 teams in the league are worse in that category.  One of them is Miami, sure, and I do think the Dolphins might even be a bigger trash pile than us.  But the Patriots are + 13 and the Bills are + 15.  They're better teams.  

* A lot of the teams in the AFC are trending up.  The Chiefs, despite their loss this week, are obvious.  The Patriots are the Patriots.  The Bills, as mentioned are better than us.  The Steelers look like they've fixed a lot of their issues.  The Texans have a young superstar in the making in DeShaun Watson.  The Raiders just got back Derek Carr.  The Titans just got back Mariota.  The Bengals have too much talent just to lay down.  And then there's the Broncos, who despite their loss this past week have to be considered in the mix with their defense.  Which of those 9 teams I just listed miss the playoffs?  You'll need at least 4 of them to fail to make it.  

1 hour ago, rex-n-effect said:

lolwut

The one game you think they win is the Bills, who already beat us and is likely the toughest team of the four? Jay Cutler and Miami "is the one where we see exactly what this team is made of"? 

That is a strange interpretation of the NFL this season.

LOL DUH. If you read the post maybe you would understand why I wrote what I did about the Dolphins game. If they come out playing like they did against the Pats it will show that they have no ill effects or hangover from the horrible loss they suffered on Sunday. If they come out flat and listless that will mean they are suffering from the after effects of that terrible loss. Got it? Good.

The Jets and Bills usually split as does Miami and the Jets. We will see though. All of this depends on their motivation or lack thereof.

12 hours ago, kevinc855 said:

Wait, we are discussing playoffs after barely making it to the middle of October? 

12 hours ago, kevinc855 said:

what/can't even

On 10/16/2017 at 8:26 AM, jamesr said:

Sunday was the first time I thought they could actually make the playoffs. Only because it is such a weird year with so many average teams.

They need to be buys at the trading deadline lol. Just Kidding on that part.

I still say a QB change soon would do them good. McCown is completing a lot of short passes but they aren't going to beat anyone with a good defense with him at QB.

On 10/16/2017 at 9:58 AM, rex-n-effect said:

Pretty much sums up our head coach and the biggest reason even though they are playing better then expected, he has to go. I truly wonder if the conservative turn was called by Morton or Bowles...

The Jets are not a good team. They could easily be 1-5 now if not for the complete ineptness of the Jags and Browns. The remaining Jets schedule is pretty tough, and other than the Bills and Dolphins games, I don't see another potential win in the bunch.  They will end up at 4-12.

I wouldn't bet on the playoffs but look around the AFC -- we are very much in the thick of it. Very few teams that are clearly "good" let alone great. We have wins over the Jags and Dolphins (both 3-2 with wins over teams like the Steelers and Falcons) and hung around with the Pats (who honestly don't look good, but still.) Our worst game of the season was honestly the Browns game, which we won.

52 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

so if the Jets win 10 games, but lose the last one and almost make the playoffs the Qb and half the key players will be blasted as being awful and greedy and selfish and dumb and cancers?

Yes although no matter how many games they win there will be fans blasting them as awful, greedy, selfish, dumb and cancers, sometimes for competing reasons.

OMG 7 WINS U PLAYERS RUINED OUR CHANCES TO GET A FRANCHISE QB BUT CAN U BELIEVE HOW BAD THEY WERE THAT THEY COULD ONLY WIN 7 GAMES ON THIS SCHEDULE? GET RID OF THOSE BUMS.

35 minutes ago, rex-n-effect said:

Yes although no matter how many games they win there will be fans blasting them as awful, greedy, selfish, dumb and cancers, sometimes for competing reasons.

OMG 7 WINS U PLAYERS RUINED OUR CHANCES TO GET A FRANCHISE QB BUT CAN U BELIEVE HOW BAD THEY WERE THAT THEY COULD ONLY WIN 7 GAMES ON THIS SCHEDULE? GET RID OF THOSE BUMS.

Or

OMG WE WON SEVEN GAMES, WE'RE RIGHT ON THE CUSP OF A SUPER BOWL. LET'S GO OUT AND GET US A GREAT QB TO GO WITH THIS 7-9 TEAM. MUST BE ONE AROUND HERE SOMEWHERE. AS THEY USED TO SAY IN MY OLD NEIGHBORHOOD BACK IN BROOKLYN, I'M WALKINNN HERE!

10 hours ago, ChuckkieB said:

The Jets are not a good team. They could easily be 1-5 now if not for the complete ineptness of the Jags and Browns. The remaining Jets schedule is pretty tough, and other than the Bills and Dolphins games, I don't see another potential win in the bunch.  They will end up at 4-12.

Sounds like Bowles should get extended if they end up 6 and 10.

Archived