Adams call vs. Gronk

AFJF

On this play, where Gronk is using his right arm to push off against Adams before using his hand to cover his face and wrap his arm around his head, Adams was flagged.  

But, ya know, he can't cover and stuff.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
24 minutes ago, KRL said:

There should've been a flag for offensive pass interference or illegal hands to the face

right.  it was plenty clear that gronk was slapping adams head out of the way. i don't even think adams was touching any part of gronk at that time save for what gronk was doing.  but you know, that's gronks "move".  he's made a living of batting the defenders out of the way before making a catch.

3 hours ago, AFJF said:

On this play, where Gronk is using his right arm to push off against Adams before using his hand to cover his face and wrap his arm around his head, Adams was flagged.  

He doesn't even touch Gronk when the ball is in the air.

Meanwhile, Gronk is mugging him.

Adams has both hands on Gronkowski's upper arm near the shoulder when the ball is coming in. That is pass interference. The call is right. The call is not made less right because whiny Jets fans think Gronkowski was more responsible than Adams was for the slapfighting that was going on both ways earlier in the play and was not what got flagged. Good grief.

5 hours ago, AFJF said:

He gave up two touchdowns on Sunday. One of which where he just fell down. You take a safety at 6, and he gives up touchdowns like that- you're going to get flamed. Zero interceptions on the season, one combined between him and Maye. The early return on this weird decision to stack safeties looks questionable at best.

2 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

He gave up two touchdowns on Sunday. One of which where he just fell down. You take a safety at 6, and he gives up touchdowns like that- you're going to get flamed. Zero interceptions on the season, one combined between him and Maye. The early return on this weird decision to stack safeties looks questionable at best.

Tight ends are feasting on Adams. Njoku last week this week Gronk

1 minute ago, Matt39 said:

Guy cant keep his feet. He's constantly on the ground/diving at the ball carrier. Make the tackle for christs sakes.

He had the same issues at LSU especially against faster WRs.  Just another wasted 1st round pick

This could have gone either way.  They both were slap fighting.  Who do you think gets the call, a rookie SS who's done nothing in the NFL or the Gronk?  This type of sh*t happens all the time.  Superstars get calls.  JAG's don't.  

Adams has tremendous play recognition.  It's truly impressive.  He see's sh*t, he can call it out, he can guess a route, he can get himself in good position...it's a gift.  I'm just not sure he has the elite athleticism to turn that gift into impact plays on the field.  He's like the complete opposite of Darron Lee from that perspective.  Instincts are off the charts.  Problem is right now, he's a JAG.  Good player, nothing special and that's not cool when you took a SS at #6 overall (never mind who you passed on).  

And FWIW it's totally not his fault he can't guard Gronk.  Nobody can.  I mean, he can't cover anyone so far this season but the shame here is this dumb ass coaching staff knows that, see's it on film and still asked him to go 1 on 1 with when it mattered most and that is a recipe for disaster. 

1 minute ago, JiF said:

This could have gone either way.  They both were slap fighting.  Who do you think gets the call, a rookie SS who's done nothing in the NFL or the Gronk?  This type of sh*t happens all the time.  Superstars get calls.  JAG's don't.

Adams has tremendous play recognition.  It's truly impressive.  He see's sh*t, he call call it out, he can guess a route, he can get himself in good position...it's a gift.  I'm just not sure he has the elite athleticism to turn that gift into impact plays on the field.  He's like the complete opposite of Darron Lee from the perspective.  Instincts are off the charts.  Problem is right now, he's a JAG.  Good player, nothing special and that's not cool when you took a SS at #6 overall (never mind who you passed on).  

And FWIW it's totally not his fault he can't guard Gronk.  Nobody can.  I mean, he can't cover anyone so far this season but the shame here is this dumb ass coaching staff knows that, see's it on film and still asked him to go 1 on 1 with when it mattered most and that is a recipe for disaster. 

the worst part was they had just screwed us by picking up that penalty on our last drive.  instead of having 1st and 10 at the NE 40 up 14-0 we had to punt and give that NE O the ball back.  it wasa  frustrating sequence that changed the game.  we did get away w/ one later where Darron lee clearly interfered at the goalline and they didn't call it but at this moment in the game it was a huge call on top of those other call.

In the long run this type of game can help our team out, the fact that they didn't quit and had the ball in their hands w/ a chance to tie after that blown TD call says a lot.  Miami won't be easy but if they can go down to there and pick up a W this team may just be in it all season long.

10 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Tight ends are feasting on Adams. Njoku last week this week Gronk

on the Njoku TD he also got away w/ one, he shoved Adams away to create all the separation.  he only had 2 other catches in the game for 27 yds.

8 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

the worst part was they had just screwed us by picking up that penalty on our last drive.  instead of having 1st and 10 at the NE 40 up 14-0 we had to punt and give that NE O the ball back.  it wasa  frustrating sequence that changed the game.  we did get away w/ one later where Darron lee clearly interfered at the goalline and they didn't call it but at this moment in the game it was a huge call on top of those other call.

In the long run this type of game can help our team out, the fact that they didn't quit and had the ball in their hands w/ a chance to tie after that blown TD call says a lot.  Miami won't be easy but if they can go down to there and pick up a W this team may just be in it all season long.

I don't know if blowing a 14 point lead at home helps a team but sure...they didn't quit and fought to the very last whistle.  The shame of that is, around here that type moral victory makes us happy.  Which is sad and pathetic.

The Jets have one thing going for them this season; the NFL sucks.  It's terrible.  Teams are terrible.  The new offseason of 2 hand touch has really screwed the overall product.  Teams just don't look ready and games are just ugly.  It's a war of attrition in the NFL.  Who can protect the ball better and not give up the back breaking big play.  Anyone can beat anyone.  There are no dominant teams and even the teams with great QB's, look very beatable.   I think the Jets could realistically win 3 of the next 4.  

I've always laughed at the idea that there is "parity in the NFL" but this might be the season that it rings true.  Teams that run the ball well and play good D are succeeding in the NFL.   All the division leaders are running the ball very well right now (except the Pats and Panthers).  I think the Jets can do both fairly well which I think will keep them competitive in just about every game.

31 minutes ago, JiF said:

Adams has tremendous play recognition.  It's truly impressive.  He see's sh*t, he can call it out, he can guess a route, he can get himself in good position...it's a gift.  I'm just not sure he has the elite athleticism to turn that gift into impact plays on the field.  He's like the complete opposite of Darron Lee from the perspective.  Instincts are off the charts.  Problem is right now, he's a JAG.  Good player, nothing special and that's not cool when you took a SS at #6 overall (never mind who you passed on).  

The diving for no reason instead of wrapping up is such a bad habit. If he were generating turnovers I could live with the occasional big play, but he hasnt been close to a pick this year.  There was zero reason for this to be a touchdown:

2 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

The diving for no reason instead of wrapping up is such a bad habit. If he were generating turnovers I could live with the occasional big play, but he hasnt been close to a pick this year.  There was zero reason for this to be a touchdown:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="de" dir="ltr">Touchdown Gronk <a href="https://t.co/XhNstReaxU">pic.twitter.com/XhNstReaxU</a></p>&mdash; PatriotsNation™️ (@PatsNationTM) <a href="https://twitter.com/PatsNationTM/status/919639020283551744?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">October 15, 2017</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I can't see the link but I assume it was the TD on the out at the goal line?  That particular one was infuriating for multiple reasons.  Tom saw he had 1 on 1 with Gronk with Adams on him.  He went to him, put a perfect back shoulder pass Gronk couldn't handle.  Then, the very next play...what do the Jets do?  Give Tom the same exact ******* look.  1 on 1 - Adams on Gronk.  And then that play, is exactly what I'm referring to about seeing the play but just not having the athletic ability to the make the play.  When the ball snapped and Adams saw the route, I legit screamed "pick it" because I thought he was going to jump the route...and then you watched the replay and he wasn't even close even though he read the play perfectly.  

15 minutes ago, JiF said:

I don't know if blowing a 14 point lead at home helps a team but sure...they didn't quit and fought to the very last whistle.  The shame of that is, around here that type moral victory makes us happy.  Which is sad and pathetic.

The Jets have one thing going for them this season; the NFL sucks.  It's terrible.  Teams are terrible.  The new offseason of 2 hand touch has really screwed the overall product.  Teams just don't look ready and games are just ugly.  It's a war of attrition in the NFL.  Who can protect the ball better and not give up the back breaking big play.  Anyone can beat anyone.  There are no dominant teams and even the teams with great QB's, look very beatable.   I think the Jets could realistically win 3 of the next 4.  

I've always laughed at the idea that there is "parity in the NFL" but this might be the season that it rings true.  Teams that run the ball well and play good D are succeeding in the NFL.   All the division leaders are running the ball very well right now (except the Pats and Panthers).  I think the Jets can do both fairly well which I think will keep them competitive in just about every game.

it's not about being happy, no one is happy but we had a game stolen from us and kept fighting.  that is a positive, this is a young team that was expected to win 1-2 games at most.  I feel bad for people who cannot find positives and just harp on the negative.

1 minute ago, JiF said:

I can't see the link but I assume it was the TD on the out at the goal line?  That particular one was infuriating for multiple reasons.  Tom saw he had 1 on 1 with Gronk with Adams on him.  He went to him, put a perfect back shoulder pass Gronk couldn't handle.  Then, the very next play...what do the Jets do?  Give Tom the same exact ******* look.  1 on 1 - Adams on Gronk.  And then that play, is exactly what I'm referring to about seeing the play but just not having the athletic ability to the make the play.  When the ball snapped and Adams saw the route, I legit screamed "pick it" because I thought he was going to jump the route...and then you watched the replay and he wasn't even close even though he read the play perfectly.  

Malik Hooker would be injured for the rest of the season if he had to stick with Gronk one on one for a quarter much less a game. 

People who are ripping Adams over Lattimore and Hooker need to relax and recognize it's only been 6 games. sh*t changes fast.

5 minutes ago, Mo Lew said:

Malik Hooker would be injured for the rest of the season if he had to stick with Gronk one on one for a quarter much less a game. 

People who are ripping Adams over Lattimore and Hooker need to relax and recognize it's only been 6 games. sh*t changes fast.

This is true.  Players who don't typically make impact plays, miraculously start making impact plays because sh*t changes fast. 

See Mo Lew for example. 

8 minutes ago, Mo Lew said:

Especially since Gronk is this generations best TE!

Who pray tell controls Gronk on a regular basis?

Answer = No One!!

whoever you consider to be the best safety, LB, corner in the NFL, Gronk has beaten that player just not as often.

Adams plays a much different game than Hooker and Lattimore is a corner so not sure why he's even being mentioned. 

Hooker got beat last night I believe and will get beat again because even the greatest defenders get beat. What makes them great is it doesn't happen as often.

I understand most of the complaining about the Jets on this board but to complain about Jamal Adams and calling him a bust at this point makes you a whiny sack.

To be less of a whiny sack, consider becoming a Colts or Saints fan. But be careful. You will find holes in the games of those players as well and inevitably become a whiny sack about them.

The PI call against Adams is right if you just look at what happens when the ball is coming down. He has his hands on Gronkowski's arm. Okay. But look at everything before that. Gronkowski is shoving on his face and trying to push him away which is also a PI call. If the refs threw the first flag on the first call then the second doesn't even matter. Adams could have done better on the play but at least judge him from what happened not what the refs decided happened.

Archived