Adams call vs. Gronk

AFJF

1 hour ago, dbatesman said:

Malik Hooker: 3 INTs, 4 PDs

Marshon Lattimore: pick-6, 4 PDs, forced fumble

Jamal Adams: 182 post-play leadership claps

He's only entering his 7th game, and he's already doing for the defense what Dustin Keller's first down kneel-pointings did for the offense. 

Can't teach the claps. 

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

man coverage on one of the greatest TEs to play the game.  was in position, turned his head.  I am not disappointed.  We fought and kept fighting.  All i wanted to see this season, wins and losses dont matter as much.  Only gripe I have is not seeing Petty but with McCown leading the league in completion % and showing decent pocket awareness it is impossible to bench him on merit imo.  

2 hours ago, munchmemory said:

How about the pass interference/face guarding against Skrine which wasn't called?  This sh*t goes on in every game, every week.  Just accept that Adams got schooled by the best TE in the league.  Hopefully, he learns and gets better.  

He was playing against Jason Witten?

1 hour ago, Matt39 said:

The diving for no reason instead of wrapping up is such a bad habit. If he were generating turnovers I could live with the occasional big play, but he hasnt been close to a pick this year.  There was zero reason for this to be a touchdown:

Isn't he diving because he's trailing behind after getting rubbed from a pick by the other WR? Are you really calling him average because Gronk, one of the best TE's to ever play, scored a couple of touchdowns? Show me a safety going one on one that's constantly shutting him down. Call out Bowles if you're gonna call someone out for putting his rookie one on one with him with no help. I don't care how good a defender is, there's just some players that deserve more attention then just throwing a single guy on him. Why any coach ever does this is baffling. Look at what Belicheck did with Tony Gonzalez, he was always putting two guys right in front of him. 

Here's some light reading 

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/jamal-adams-rookie-season-hits-rough-patch-jets-loss-article-1.3565065

Don't get me wrong, Adams a great person. A wonderful source of quote. And he's everything you'd want out of a football player.

But he's a strong safety basically playing OLB. Maye is the coverage guy who they can't replace. Brooks is the other safety on passing downs. 

Jamal Adams pick was like the Leonard Williams pick a very easy to make pick, stick to the board, no one gets fired type of pick. 

I like Adams. the problem is he plays safety. and last weekend not very well. The calls went against him sure he also fell down and looked not so good. This coming off his "F" performance against Cleveland. 

I know this won't be a popular post. I know people like Adams. I like him too. The same way the Chiefs like Eric Berry.

But Andy Reid drafted Mahomes to replace Smith eventually (or at least fire him up) not Malik Hooker to backup Berry (who by the way is on IR again). 

Because QB is more important than safety. Bill Walsh said draft one every year and seeing what they had in Hackenberg (or Geno, or Clemens) is not a reason to violate that rule. 

on the other hand, maybe I'm wrong and the Jets are 3-3 just cause Jamal Adams no quit character has changed the locker room. 

That could be true. But also everyone who said this last QB class was terrible (and next years is awesome) was just guessing.  Watson beat Alabama maybe he could have worked miracles with this team. At least he'd be starting over McCown. It's easy to draft in hindsight but the team still needs a QB. 

1 minute ago, MDL_JET said:

Call out Bowles if you're gonna call someone out for putting his rookie one on one with him with no help. I don't care how good a defender is, there's just some players that deserve more attention then just throwing a single guy on him. Why any coach ever does this is baffling. Look at what Belicheck did with Tony Gonzalez, he was always putting two guys right in front of him. 

Jamal Adams makes the same salary as Josh McCown. 6 million dollars a year. It's not small change. He's a rookie ok but he's being paid like the starting quarterback.  One could even say he was drafted especially just to cover Gronk. 

These are his stat on the year: 28 tackles 1 sack. 

Can someone explain exactly why Adams is awesome? Is it cause we all bought his jersey? 

I know this will turn into a "bitonti hates Jamal Adams" thing. It's not true. He's great. He's just not a QB and it's kind of questionable if he's even really a safety. they don't use him there when it's 3rd and long. they use him underneath with the TE. Like Gronk. It's Maye who is 60 yards downfield 

5 minutes ago, MDL_JET said:

Isn't he diving because he's trailing behind after getting rubbed from a pick by the other WR? Are you really calling him average because Gronk, one of the best TE's to ever play, scored a couple of touchdowns? Show me a safety going one on one that's constantly shutting him down. Call out Bowles if you're gonna call someone out for putting his rookie one on one with him with no help. I don't care how good a defender is, there's just some players that deserve more attention then just throwing a single guy on him. Why any coach ever does this is baffling. Look at what Belicheck did with Tony Gonzalez, he was always putting two guys right in front of him. 

he took himself out of the play by diving there. He got beat by Gronk, that's fine. Just stop leaving your feet in the middle of the field.

7 minutes ago, bitonti said:

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/jamal-adams-rookie-season-hits-rough-patch-jets-loss-article-1.3565065

Don't get me wrong, Adams a great person. A wonderful source of quote. And he's everything you'd want out of a football player.

But he's a strong safety basically playing OLB. Maye is the coverage guy who they can't replace. Brooks is the other safety on passing downs. 

Jamal Adams pick was like the Leonard Williams pick a very easy to make pick, stick to the board, no one gets fired type of pick. 

I like Adams. the problem is he plays safety. and last weekend not very well. The calls went against him sure he also fell down and looked not so good. This coming off his "F" performance against Cleveland. 

I know this won't be a popular post. I know people like Adams. I like him too. The same way the Chiefs like Eric Berry.

But Andy Reid drafted Mahomes to replace Smith eventually (or at least fire him up) not Malik Hooker to backup Berry (who by the way is on IR again). 

Because QB is more important than safety. Bill Walsh said draft one every year and seeing what they had in Hackenberg (or Geno, or Clemens) is not a reason to violate that rule. 

on the other hand, maybe I'm wrong and the Jets are 3-3 just cause Jamal Adams no quit character has changed the locker room. 

That could be true. But also everyone who said this last QB class was terrible (and next years is awesome) was just guessing.  Watson beat Alabama maybe he could have worked miracles with this team. At least he'd be starting over McCown. It's easy to draft in hindsight but the team still needs a QB. 

Good post. Adams was the prototypical No One Gets Fired for Hiring IBM type of selection. And here we are again with no QB.

2 hours ago, nyjunc said:

on the Njoku TD he also got away w/ one, he shoved Adams away to create all the separation.  he only had 2 other catches in the game for 27 yds.

Correct!

5 hours ago, rangerous said:

right.  it was plenty clear that gronk was slapping adams head out of the way. i don't even think adams was touching any part of gronk at that time save for what gronk was doing.  but you know, that's gronks "move".  he's made a living of batting the defenders out of the way before making a catch.

The Patsies still have four more prime time games to play in before the playoffs happen. With TV ratings going down, do you really think clueless Goodell wants to feature a Patriots team in prime time that lost to the lowly Jets? If anyone doesn't think that Goodell doesn't make a few phone calls before games in order to ensure that refs will slightly favor teams that bring in higher TV ratings, then they are just being naive. Plus, we all know Goodell and Kraft are boyfriend-boyfriend...

27 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Don't even say Eric Berry's name in a Jamal Adams thread. Berry was a two-time unanimous all-american that could jump over a building. That's why he's an all-pro who beat cancer. Adams was That Guy this year for reasons that were honestly never real clear to me. That's why he doesn't even look like he belongs on an NFL field sometimes, along with an alarming number of other players drafted by this idiot who apparently lied about having scouting experience to get the gig.

Darron Lee was also pure awful other than his created fumble last game.  I'll give him his due for making a very big play creating the turnover but he can't cover anyone at all and he just gets blown away on any play he has to try and make head on.  I keep hearing people say, oh he is playing out of position.  The one and only position he might be able to play and this is a big might is olb but only in a 4-3.

2 hours ago, whodeawhodat said:

man coverage on one of the greatest TEs to play the game.  was in position, turned his head.  I am not disappointed.  We fought and kept fighting.  All i wanted to see this season, wins and losses dont matter as much.  Only gripe I have is not seeing Petty but with McCown leading the league in completion % and showing decent pocket awareness it is impossible to bench him on merit imo.  

Adams played very well games 3 and 4 and was an instrumental part of those victories.

The Jets are using Adams like Michigan used Peppers last year-as basically a roving edge defender.   He can play that role.  

I think we need to see his body of work for the entire year, but I agree that he was the "he won't get me fired" pick, like Leonard Williams was.  

1 hour ago, MDL_JET said:

He was going for the ball but if you look closely he trips over Gronks foot as he goes to make the play since Gronk has that huge ass stride.  If he doesn't trip there I think he probably makes the pick or at least has the pbu.  He's going to get better and learn from these little things, Adams is of little concern imo.  Not even half a season played yet as a pro.

The redraft 6th pick of this draft will likely be Watson.

Watson was not the pick for a GM who picked QB high last year and HC coaching for his job, particularly when the pick the coach is supposed to be a defensive wizard.  

Dabo Sweeney swore up and down that Watson would be a quality NFL player.  He appears to be right.

1 minute ago, varjet said:

Watson was not the pick for a GM who picked QB high last year and HC coaching for his job, particularly when the pick the coach is supposed to be a defensive wizard.  

Why not?  The Jets picked 20th in 2016 and Hackenberg was 51st.  If Maccagnan was going to let a previous pick change his selection, he should probably have avoided picking such a flaming reach boom/bust prospect.  I thought a supposed defensive wizard was supposed to make due with what he had and not need 1st rounders at every position?  Isn't that what we all complained about with Rex?  Does the team ever learn its lessons?

6 hours ago, Matt39 said:

The diving for no reason instead of wrapping up is such a bad habit. If he were generating turnovers I could live with the occasional big play, but he hasnt been close to a pick this year.  There was zero reason for this to be a touchdown:

This play has the double whammy of Maye jogging up and barely flapping at his arm toward Gronk at the 10.  WTF?  

3 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

Why not?  The Jets picked 20th in 2016 and Hackenberg was 51st.  If Maccagnan was going to let a previous pick change his selection, he should probably have avoided picking such a flaming reach boom/bust prospect.  I thought a supposed defensive wizard was supposed to make due with what he had and not need 1st rounders at every position?  Isn't that what we all complained about with Rex?  Does the team ever learn its lessons?

My post was not intended to justify the selection.  Just an explanation from how Macc and Bowles saw it.

FWIW, other teams rebuilding, both with new FOs and veteran FOs, also passed on the 2017 QBs.  

That being said, based on how he is playing now, Watson looks like a top 5ish pick (e.g., Bortles, Tannehill, Mariota).  

Landon Collins was the 33rd pick in his draft.  I hope Adams is as good as Collins.

Just now, varjet said:

Landon Collins was the 33rd pick in his draft.  I hope Adams is as good as Collins.

Yeah, nothing against you, but Macc and Bowles saw it like idiots.

Landon Collins is a nice comparison.  Nobody is taking Collins at 6, even in a re-draft. He has been on the Giants 3 years - 1 good defense and 2 sucky ones.  He made the pro bowl the good year.  Was that because he played so much better or is it because S is not a high value position, like edge rusher, QB, etc.? 

6 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Landon Collins is a nice comparison.  Nobody is taking Collins at 6, even in a re-draft. He has been on the Giants 3 years - 1 good defense and 2 sucky ones.  He made the pro bowl the good year.  Was that because he played so much better or is it because S is not a high value position, like edge rusher, QB, etc.? 

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000799656/article/2015-nfl-draft-doover-david-johnson-goes-before-todd-gurley

5) Redskins: Landon Collins, S, Alabama

Original pick: Brandon Scherff, G, Iowa.

Collins was drafted: Round 2, No. 33 overall by the Giants.

Big jump up the board from second round to fifth overall pick, but Collins has been the truth and Washington needed a safety.

14 minutes ago, RESNewYork said:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000799656/article/2015-nfl-draft-doover-david-johnson-goes-before-todd-gurley

Big jump up the board from second round to fifth overall pick, but Collins has been the truth and Washington needed a safety.

That is pretty interesting.  We have seen where Eric Berry was picked.  No one is second-guessing that.  

It is also interesting that Leonard Williams was not the Redskins choice at 6-they have the Jets taking Leo again.

The jury is still out on Adams.

28 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

20 minutes ago, RESNewYork said:

3 minutes ago, varjet said:

That is pretty interesting.  We have seen where Eric Berry was picked.  No one is second-guessing that.  

It is also interesting that Leonard Williams was not the Redskins choice at 6-they have the Jets taking Leo again.

The jury is still out on Adams.

YES. Jury is still out. Saying Mac and Bowles saw it like idiots after 6 weeks is well...

Archived