Jets' acting owner says 3-3 start is 'a grrreeat thing'

Gas2No99

Jets' acting owner says 3-3 start is 'a grrrreeat thing'

r275294_1296x729_16-9.jpg&w=920&h=518&sc

Christopher Johnson likes what he's seen from the Jets early on and sees that success continuing.

Christopher Johnson is one happy boss.

The New York Jets' new chairman and CEO, who is running the team while older brother Woody Johnson serves an ambassadorship in the United Kingdom, said Tuesday the team is proving to skeptics that it is not tanking for the future and it wants to win now.

"We're not tanking, and I think you're seeing that," Johnson told NJ Advance Media at the NFL's fall meetings in Manhattan. "I mean, this a great thing I'm seeing."

Johnson's opinion matters. When he met with reporters last month, he said he will determine the futures of coach Todd Bowles and general manager Mike Maccagnan. He said his brother is detached from the team and gave him carte blanche.

The Jets are a surprising 3-3. Johnson said his decisions on Bowles and Maccagnan will be based on whether the team shows progress throughout the season. So far, he sees it.

"Yeah, how can you not?" he told the web site. "It's so awesome. The energy in that locker room is unreal. I'm happy to be along for the ride."

The Jets were accused of tanking after stripping the roster in the offseason. They did a reverse tank at the end of the preseason, adding veterans such as Jermaine KearseJeremy Kerley and Kony Ealy.

The relatively successful start, Johnson said, shows the organization is in to win it.

"I think so," Johnson said. "I think the fans sense it. I can tell. I'm so happy about how this team started out, and I see us continuing."

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is pretty predictable.  People like to ignore some parts of the team, the retreads and really young guys have a lot of enthusiasm and jump and team play.  the vets who are supposed to be our best players are dogs fro whom bowles is not capable of getting even a medium effort.  Some of the draft picks are very  disappointing.  If he cannot see a problem when guys like kerly, kearse and ealy are your best players then he is not looking at the big picture at all.

The team has played hard every game so far and the roster is infinitely more likeable than last year's.

Wish that this was the team that we saw when Maccagnan and Bowles first took over, full of young hungry players, void of lazy veterans (except Wilk), but the future is looking up for us. 

4 minutes ago, Saul Goodman said:

The team has played hard every game so far and the roster is infinitely more likeable than last year's.

Wish that this was the team that we saw when Maccagnan and Bowles first took over, full of young hungry players, void of lazy veterans (except Wilk), but the future is looking up for us. 

agreed but better late than never.  mccags did a nice job getting rid of crap, and even got a 2nd rounder for trich.  

3 minutes ago, Saul Goodman said:

The problem is however is that the best players on this team have been late add ons.

The young high end players we have added for the most part are in positions of historical non premium needs.

The team needs, A QB, At least two olineman, a RB, an edge rusher, perhaps a CB going forwards.

We all like the team to win, winning is fun, one the funnest years we have had in a long time was the 1st Fitz year but the jets cannot seem to build a team that can have sustained success, as be in serious playoff contention each year.   We tend to over perform in years we should suck and under perform in years we are expected to be good.

You need to base all evaluations on looking towards being in the playoffs each year and ultimately wining the super bowl.

The reason many fans scoff?  We have been here before time and again.  If you settle for mediocrity t that is what you will get.

Holy f*ck. They really aren't gonna get fired, are they?

Bowles is gonna announce McCown the starter for next season before he's even extended, and Macc is gonna draft Josh Allen in the 2nd round to be McCown's back up, while Petty is let go to keep Hackenberg as the number 3 QB.

7 minutes ago, Spoot-Face said:

Holy f*ck. They really aren't gonna get fired, are they?

Bowles is gonna announce McCown the starter for next season before he's even extended, and Macc is gonna draft Josh Allen in the 2nd round to be McCown's back up, while Petty is let go to keep Hackenberg as the number 3 QB.

db3220a1a94ee9bd02be8939896b76a5.gif

2 hours ago, Gas2No99 said:

Christopher Johnson likes what he's seen from the Jets early on and sees that success continuing.

The New York Jets' new chairman and CEO, who is running the team while older brother Woody Johnson serves an ambassadorship in the United Kingdom, said Tuesday the team is proving to skeptics that it is not tanking for the future and it wants to win now.

"We're not tanking, and I think you're seeing that," Johnson told NJ Advance Media at the NFL's fall meetings in Manhattan. "I mean, this a great thing I'm seeing."

Johnson's opinion matters. When he met with reporters last month, he said he will determine the futures of coach Todd Bowles and general manager Mike Maccagnan. He said his brother is detached from the team and gave him carte blanche.

The Jets are a surprising 3-3. Johnson said his decisions on Bowles and Maccagnan will be based on whether the team shows progress throughout the season. So far, he sees it.

"Yeah, how can you not?" he told the web site. "It's so awesome. The energy in that locker room is unreal. I'm happy to be along for the ride."

The Jets were accused of tanking after stripping the roster in the offseason. They did a reverse tank at the end of the preseason, adding veterans such as Jermaine KearseJeremy Kerley and Kony Ealy.

The relatively successful start, Johnson said, shows the organization is in to win it.

"I think so," Johnson said. "I think the fans sense it. I can tell. I'm so happy about how this team started out, and I see us continuing."

Does this help stop the narrative that Bowles and Mac are not working towards the same goal. Hopefully this keeps up and they are both retained

2 hours ago, Gas2No99 said:

you don't build a winning franchise by losing.  winning helps keep all interesting and gives the players purpose to their work.  i don't see where there's a problem.  the only way this season becomes a problem is if they regress to a bunch of back biting mail it in kind of players. the fact that they can't possibly win even 8 games means at the end of the season they still haven't won anything. but if they keep playing the way they have they can at least hold their heads up.

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

This sounds like when I'm standing in front of an abstract painting and I go "oh yeah, it's awesome: like, the colors are just, yeah." 

Also, we're doomed.

This exquisite piece is an apt metaphor for the savant-like, long-term plan for the Jets being intricately orchestrated by Sirs Macc and Bowles:

abstract-art-e1333568828913.jpeg

What do you want him to say? They suck? They are an embarrassment? Hey they are 3-3. No one expected that(well maybe Max). Enjoy the ride because from here on out it gets a little rougher every week from now until the end of the season. Lets see what they can do. I don't think they will win many more games but as long as they are competitive the rest of the way isn't that the point? If they win some unexpected games that's not necessarily a bad thing. It will give the young guys something to play for and valuable experience. Take the good with the bad and lets see what happens.

4 hours ago, Warfish said:

Your butthurt over this tiny fragment of positivity....funny stuff.

Oh, that's an ironic thing for you to say there. Considering, you know, you're pissy at every turn about this. Like, so pissy. 

1 minute ago, Integrity28 said:

Oh, that's an ironic thing for you to say there. Considering, you know, you're pissy at every turn about this. Like, so pissy. 

Do you do anything but comment on the comments of others anymore?

Just curious, asking for a friend.

I have a feeling this is the ominous start of 5 years of Bowles as head coach with Zero playoff appearances and a string of 7-9..6-10, 8-8, and 5-11 seasons. This year will sacrifice real greatness for A WHOLE lot of **** for the foreseeable future.

Archived