Gas2No99

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Some of us talk about the Jets.

Some also talk about the draft.

Some comment on comments.

Some of us start threads about which comments should be directed toward which forums. If this whole deal you're doing lately is some kind of Andy Kaufman meets Green Jets & Ham thing it's both funny and well executed but I think you ans I both know that it isn't.

3 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Some of us talk about the Jets.

Some also talk about the draft.

Some comment on comments.

When the comments reflect redundancy about the draft and Jets, and effectively reduce themselves to lacking substance beyond being an extension of a given posters insecurity, salty disposition, or general butthurt, then commenting on the comments is talk about the Jets/draft with someone that just isn't talking about those subjects effectively, so to speak.

Pissy butt.

Just now, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

If this whole deal you're doing lately is some kind of Andy Kaufman meets Green Jets & Ham thing it's both funny and well executed but I think you ans I both know that it isn't.

I bet that sounded really cool to you when you were writing it.  

This is pretty predictable.  People like to ignore some parts of the team, the retreads and really young guys have a lot of enthusiasm and jump and team play.  the vets who are supposed to be our best players are dogs fro whom bowles is not capable of getting even a medium effort.  Some of the draft picks are very  disappointing.  If he cannot see a problem when guys like kerly, kearse and ealy are your best players then he is not looking at the big picture at all.

please pass the bong ... Kerley, Ealy and Kearse are not even in the top 5 on this team.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

4 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

please pass the bong ... Kerley, Ealy and Kearse are not even in the top 5 on this team.

Kearse has been the best offensive player on the team by a pretty large margin. Aside from leading the team in literally everything, he's 11th in DYAR and 14th in DVOA across the entire league. That is damn impressive given what's throwing him the ball. Acquiring him as a throw-in to the Sheldon trade might legit be the savviest move that Mac has made.

2 hours ago, rangerous said:

you don't build a winning franchise by losing.  

Sure you can.  The Colts were the worst team in the NFL in 1982, 1997, and 2011.  The subsequent spring in those years, they used their # 1 picks to draft John Elway, Peyton Manning, and Andrew Luck, respectively.

Just because Jim Irsay is an idiot and drug addict and can't run a franchise doesn't mean those were bad outcomes to those losing seasons.  You absolutely CAN build a franchise off of a terrible season.  

5 hours ago, Beerfish said:

The problem is however is that the best players on this team have been late add ons.

The young high end players we have added for the most part are in positions of historical non premium needs.

The team needs, A QB, At least two olineman, a RB, an edge rusher, perhaps a CB going forwards.

We all like the team to win, winning is fun, one the funnest years we have had in a long time was the 1st Fitz year but the jets cannot seem to build a team that can have sustained success, as be in serious playoff contention each year.   We tend to over perform in years we should suck and under perform in years we are expected to be good.

You need to base all evaluations on looking towards being in the playoffs each year and ultimately wining the super bowl.

The reason many fans scoff?  We have been here before time and again.  If you settle for mediocrity t that is what you will get.

• The problem is however is that the best players on this team have been late add ons.
    • So if the GM is better at trades and signing UDFAs why are we rooting for a better draft pick?
  • If you settle for mediocrity t that is what you will get.
    • The fans root for a win every game. If the root for a loss, it means nothing. Rooting for a win, doesn't mean they will win. So fans aren't settling. I want a Super Bowl this year. That isn't settling.

5 minutes ago, Maxman said:
  • The problem is however is that the best players on this team have been late add ons.
    • So if the GM is better at trades and signing UDFAs why are we rooting for a better draft pick?
    • The fans root for a win every game. If the root for a loss, it means nothing. Rooting for a win, doesn't mean they will win. So fans aren't settling. I want a Super Bowl this year. That isn't settling.

Everybody wants a super bowl this year. This feels like passing off being uncritical as some kind of weird piety.

8 minutes ago, Maxman said:

It's already too late to win a Superbowl this year.  But maybe in February 2018.

Just now, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

Everybody wants a super bowl this year. This feels like passing off being uncritical as some kind of weird piety.

The quote was:  If you settle for mediocrity that is what you get.

My point, once again, was what people root for doesn't guarantee anything. Which is why rooting for your favorite team to lose at the start of a season makes no sense to me.

I would respond to the other part of your post, but I would have to look up piety first.

JetNation doesn't have press passes because we are built on being critical of the team. Being critical of the team and rooting for them to lose are two different things.

5 minutes ago, Maxman said:

The quote was:  If you settle for mediocrity that is what you get.

My point, once again, was what people root for doesn't guarantee anything. Which is why rooting for your favorite team to lose at the start of a season makes no sense to me.

I would respond to the other part of your post, but I would have to look up piety first.

JetNation doesn't have press passes because we are built on being critical of the team. Being critical of the team and rooting for them to lose are two different things.

Hoping for a super bowl and settling for mediocrity aren't mutually exclusive.

Sure you can.  The Colts were the worst team in the NFL in 1982, 1997, and 2011.  The subsequent spring in those years, they used their # 1 picks to draft John Elway, Peyton Manning, and Andrew Luck, respectively.
Just because Jim Irsay is an idiot and drug addict and can't run a franchise doesn't mean those were bad outcomes to those losing seasons.  You absolutely CAN build a franchise off of a terrible season.  

Funny thing is that the fans that talk about winning culture are usually the same ones that say you shouldn't Tank because in the modern NFL you can rebuild a team in just one or two off seasons with a great GM.

Sent from my iPad using JetNation.com mobile app

Let me know the last time a team acquires a franchise QB through a trade or UDFA. Maybe Favre?

33 minutes ago, JetFreak89 said:

Let me know the last time a team acquires a franchise QB through a trade or UDFA. Maybe Favre?

Also, if you have a bad GM/scouts, it's easier to mess up the # 8 pick than it is the # 1.  Get the highest pick you can and force your GM to finally take a player at a premium position.  Because even Macc isn't stupid enough to take a Guard or DT at # 1 overall. 

It's also quite easy to trade down from the top even if you're a GM that is bad at making trades.  It's a buyer's market when you're picking that high.  

We've been calling for the Jets to trade down every year and it never happens.  A big reason why is no one wants to move up to # 6.  It's no-mans land.  

27 minutes ago, JetFreak89 said:

Carson Palmer from Oakland to Arz in 2013. The Cards have had a winning record w/him as a starter since except for last year.

Denver Broncos acquired Peyton Manning in 2013 and he took them to the SuperBowl that year. 

Drew Brees to New Orleans as a UFA in 2006 

2 minutes ago, Gas2No99 said:

Carson Palmer from Oakland to Arz in 2013. The Cards have had a winning record w/him as a starter since except for last year.

Denver Broncos acquired Peyton Manning in 2013 and he took them to the SuperBowl that year. 

3 times in an 11-year period.  Makes it possible but not likely that you can pull it off. 

Obviously, Kirk Cousins would be the name to watch this year, but I cannot imagine even the Redskins are stupid enough to let him hit free agency.  

3 times in an 11-year period.  Makes it possible but not likely that you can pull it off. 
Obviously, Kirk Cousins would be the name to watch this year, but I cannot imagine even the Redskins are stupid enough to let him hit free agency.  

Not to mention all 3 had major injury concerns that played into the decision of the teams letting them go. I wouldn't even consider Palmer a FQB but I guess all we need is to wait for the next franchise QB to fuse their neck, blow out their knee or tear their throwing labrum on a team with a high first round pick and we'll be golden.

Maybe MAC should be making a call to GB to see if they still want Rodgers???

8 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

okay to a point.  elllway and manning were drafted by teams that were losing but not tanking. and it took building a team around those guys.  you can even say the late 1990 jets were built off of kotite's losing.

here's the interesting part.  an irsay was involved with all of those qb's.  elllway was  drafted by the dolts but forced them to trade him to denver. denver got elllway and the dolts got mark hermann and chris hinton (also denver's 1st rounder in 1984).  manning was picked first over ryan leaf and we all know how the dolts su&&ed for luck.  

7 hours ago, Gas2No99 said:

To be fair Denver Broncos took Peyton to the Super Bowl in 2013.

Archived