Bowles delivers ‘take it or leave it’ comments on Wilkerson, Williams

Ken Schroy

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

Wilkerson stole money. I dunno what anybody expects Bowles to do or say about it.

I liked Williams as a prospect and I like him as a player but what you're seeing now is what you didn't want to hear after the draft. Williams is an average athlete for the position by NFL standards and guys like that don't just come in and set the league on fire. Williams will be fine and this is why there is obviously still hope for Adams too, but if you're starting to connect the dots between using high draft picks on non-elite athletes at non-premium positions and the overall (and much longer term than can all be chalked up to Macstupid) talent deficiency of the roster, welcome. Thanks for catching up.

Well if one tact does not work in getting a player to play more to his potential then us another.  We have seen that Bowles soft pedaling like this has not worked, non the players he has protected have improved.  Maybe it is time to rip the guy publicly and see of pride comes through.  Bowles has not figured out that not all people are created equal some need pats on the head some need kicks in the butt.

Saying these guys are playing well just makes him look uttely stupid.

9 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

McAdoo is criticized for every single he does.  He may very well be even more despised than Bowles.  That's pretty much the worst comparison you could have provided.

I’m not comparing the 2.  I’m saying he’s not scared to call a vet out in the media and it has basically zero ripple effect.  

First off, do you think Von Miller needs motivation from his coaches? When you pay a guy like Mo big bucks, it's assumed he should be able to self-motivate. We're not talking about some rookie.   Second, it's tough for any coach to bench the highest paid player on the team, especially when there may not be better options behind him. You just throw him out and hope he turns it on. 

Each player has to be handled differently and it’s up to the head coach to figure out how to get through to each player to maximize their production. Sometimes a position change is required, sometimes holding their hand is required, sometimes being yelled at and tough love is required, sometimes being benched is required. One of the coaches main jobs is to be a babysitter and the other is to make the tough decisions when necessary. Bowles is clearly not getting through to Wilk and clearly doesn’t have the stones to bench him. That’s the difference between a good coach and a bad coach. Bowles is a bad coach.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

During the post game show last week Westhoff strongly stated that he believes the 4 down lineman on D aren't "lined up properly".  He said that Williams isn't lining up like he was in college which played more to his strengths. 

Basically he thinks Kacy Rogers isn't putting them in a position to succeed.... Shocker.

8 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

If Mo was dominant last year and was having a few bad games this year,  then MAYBE I'd buy the injury excuse. But its very conveinent that Mo has stopped playing well the day after he hot his FAT contract. 

completely understand. and it looks that way. just wondering if recovering from injury last year and having a new injury this year has something to do with it.

I think its strange that the media wrote stories earlier in the season of how Mo is injured and how it will affect him the whole season.

Now they are writing stories about Mo dogging it but no longer mention anything about the injury. I think it's curious. I understand coaches and players not mentioning it because they don't want to make excuses.

But doesn't it feel like there is an agenda to create a narrative by the media?

3 minutes ago, JiF said:

I’m not comparing the 2.  I’m saying he’s not scared to call a vet out in the media and it has basically zero ripple effect.  

actually I think the media was saying it's easy to call out Eli for Macadoo but it looks weak because he never says anything about Beckham. I think the only player he's ever called out was Eli. But Eli is at the bottom of that list to be called out. 

Just now, RESNewYork said:

actually I think the media was saying it's easy to call out Eli for Macadoo but it looks weak because he never says anything about Beckham. I think the only player he's ever called out was Eli. But Eli is at the bottom of that list to be called out. 

My point is, I don’t recall any of the backlash.  So it obviously is not a big deal.  So I don’t know why people act like Todd can’t do such a thing.  His mentor, Parcells, did it all the time. 

10 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Well if one tact does not work in getting a player to play more to his potential then us another.  We have seen that Bowles soft pedaling like this has not worked, non the players he has protected have improved.  Maybe it is time to rip the guy publicly and see of pride comes through.

Ask Phil Jackson how good that works once you've already paid the guy. 

Just now, JiF said:

Who?  What people?  I’ve heard nothing.

Just as you wouldn't hear people, other than yourself, bitching about every random press conference of Bowles if you didn't go looking for it.  Please feel free to keep us in the loop about the exciting local opinions of the Jags though.

1 minute ago, Bleedin Green said:

Just as you wouldn't hear people, other than yourself, bitching about every random press conference of Bowles if you didn't go looking for it.  Please feel free to keep us in the loop about the exciting local opinions of the Jags though.

I literally have no clue what you’re talking about anymore.  Literally, no clue.  Thanks!

people are saying mo is lazy, and that he's hurt.  and this may be true.  but i'm also adding that he is overrated.  this is his 7th season, he had 2 good years, he was never the guy destined to be a perennial pro bowl or near pro bowl player.  williams is usually good, but he's not that fast and is better at chasing qbs than sacking them.  if sacks is what you want, guys like jpp are better, with more explosion.  jpp has 4.5 sacks this season, that's almost as many as the entire jets team combined.  

29 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

McAdoo is criticized for every single he does.  He may very well be even more despised than Bowles.  That's pretty much the worst comparison you could have provided.

He brought that on himself by waging a public war with his beloved 2x SB MVP QB that he can't stand, and wants gone, once he started with this the media smelled blood in the water for the first time with the Giants in a long time, and started circling.

5 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

Yes, I understand how difficult it must be to understand why you do not regularly hear the local opinions of people about a team that is nowhere near you.

Yes. Correct. Only people in New York/New Jersey hear New York/New Jersey news.  That information is impossible to travel south.  It’s so lucrative even my family and friends who live in that area will not share local news or opinions with their family members in the south.  It’s such confidential news, Football forums sites like JN are not allowed to start discussion regarding said news and opinions. When I travel to New York and attend Jets games, I’m only allowed to look around.  I can’t read news or watch local tv or listen to local radio.  Just look and observe. Im not even allowed to hear when National News outlets report on that area.

Here's a fun time-saver if you don't want to read the article but still want to reply:

If your preexisting opinion of Bowles is negative --> Everything he said here is wrong and he's an idiot for saying it.

If your preexisting opinion of Bowles is neutral or positive --> This is a complete non-issue.

38 minutes ago, ChuckkieB said:

Each player has to be handled differently and it’s up to the head coach to figure out how to get through to each player to maximize their production. Sometimes a position change is required, sometimes holding their hand is required, sometimes being yelled at and tough love is required, sometimes being benched is required. One of the coaches main jobs is to be a babysitter and the other is to make the tough decisions when necessary. Bowles is clearly not getting through to Wilk and clearly doesn’t have the stones to bench him. That’s the difference between a good coach and a bad coach. Bowles is a bad coach.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am not saying Bowles is a good coach, but to suggest that it's Bowles fault for Mo playing bad is just ridiculous. It's like blaming Belichick for Albert Haynesworth playing poorly. Some guys just stop playing well. Considering the talent level on this team, Bowles has done something right this year. You think Bellicheat has this team at 5-1? 

1 minute ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

I am not saying Bowles is a good coach, but to suggest that it's Bowles fault for Mo playing bad is just ridiculous. It's like blaming Belichick for Albert Haynesworth playing poorly. Some guys just stop playing well. Considering the talent level on this team, Bowles has done something right this year. You think Bellicheat has this team at 5-1? 

Absolutely. Some players just stop playing well.  And a good head coach will recognize this and also realize the best way to handle it.  In this instance, benching Mo might be the best way to go.  How many weeks does a coach wait for a player to "find it" before giving the next man up a shot?

6 minutes ago, gEYno said:

Here's a fun time-saver if you don't want to read the article but still want to reply:

If your preexisting opinion of Bowles is negative --> Everything he said here is wrong and he's an idiot for saying it.

If your preexisting opinion of Bowles is neutral or positive --> This is a complete non-issue.

Exchange Bowles with "any player or management position" and you could say the same thing.

Basically the premise that fanboards have devolved to.

I know you guys took this as Bowles not being willing to throw anybody under the bus, BUT he did.  He threw the entire offense under the bus.  When asked about Wilkerson and Williams, he responds by talking about how they didn't convert 3rd and 4th and short? Or was this all this numbnut gleaned from a longer interview? I'd guess the latter, but still. 

17 minutes ago, ChuckkieB said:

Absolutely. Some players just stop playing well.  And a good head coach will recognize this and also realize the best way to handle it.  In this instance, benching Mo might be the best way to go.  How many weeks does a coach wait for a player to "find it" before giving the next man up a shot?

Bowles wants to win (even if some here think its better to lose), so he will play the best man at each position. Obviously, he sees the other options in practice and thinks Mo gives the team the best chance to succeed. Maybe its more of indictment on our Dline depth than Bowles. 

2 hours ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

What do people want Bowles to do? He needs these guys to play well and lead the defense. Williams hasn't been as bad as people think he has. Wilk has been awful but he's one of the longest tenured players on this team, if not the longest, and I bet he's one of the leaders in the locker room.

I want him to call a dog a dog and kick these guys in the ass, not compliment them for doing jack $hit. Like a real coach would.

1 hour ago, JiF said:

Yes. Correct. Only people in New York/New Jersey hear New York/New Jersey news.  That information is impossible to travel south.  It’s so lucrative even my family and friends who live in that area will not share local news or opinions with their family members in the south.  It’s such confidential news, Football forums sites like JN are not allowed to start discussion regarding said news and opinions. When I travel to New York and attend Jets games, I’m only allowed to look around.  I can’t read news or watch local tv or listen to local radio.  Just look and observe. Im not even allowed to hear when National News outlets report on that area.

Considering your argument is that you didn't hear about something that happened, which you have been told numerous times in this thread did, clearly you are lacking in knowledge.  Apologies if you are offended that I gave you the benefit of the doubt that the issue may be your location, as opposed to the problem just being you.  I won't let it happen again, good sir.

16 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

It would appear that Bowles is able to coach dead-ender level players desperate for a job, but is consistently tuned out by any player with high-end talent. Just hazarding a guess here, but I think that might present a problem as we move forward.

It's so cute that you think the Jets may have high-end talent in the future.

Todd Bowles calls out Jets' defensive line in meeting after rough day in Buffalo 

Jets defensive linemen Muhammad Wilkerson, Leonard Williams and Kony Ealy sat slumped next to one another at their lockers after a season-opening loss to the Bills on Sunday. They dressed quietly and chatted somberly before Todd Bowles, dressed in a powder-blue three-pice suit, walked over with a suitcase in hand. The trio looked up. Bowles spoke a few stern words, gave the three players a nod, and walked away toward the door.

A day later, the Jets reviewed film from the 21-12 loss in which Buffalo RB LeSean McCoy totaled 110 yards on 22 carries, and Bowles delivered a more detailed and specific message to his defensive line during a meeting: You must be better. The unit missed assignments all afternoon, failing to clog up running lanes while McCoy rattled off a flurry of back-breaking big gains, including three rushes of more than 20 yards.

31 minutes ago, ASH1962 said:

I want him to call a dog a dog and kick these guys in the ass, not compliment them for doing jack $hit. Like a real coach would.

not replying to your personally, just quoted yours since multiple people on here have said the same.

How do we know that Bowles and coaches don't do what you're asking behind closed doors? 

Unless you're asking him to call out players to the media. If so, thats probably never going to happen

1 hour ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

Ask Phil Jackson how good that works once you've already paid the guy. 

As i said it depends on the player some need cuddles others need ass boots.  I mean Mo wilk can hardly play worse and the cuddles since the beginning of last year are sure not workling.

Archived