jets viewership down the most

batman10023

7 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

You know what would instantly make the Jets the most watched team? Signing Kaepernick. Nobody but a handful of hillbillies watching the games on 13” lo-fi screens in small pockets of Appalachia is tuning out because of the kneeling.

The sport is hard to watch because so many teams have no QB, and even those that do have a big QB are getting undone by any team that has a Von Miller-ish edge guy. As for the Jets, there’s not one marketable player on the roster. Nobody sets their clock to watch an undersized safety miss tackles.

The good news for Jets fans is that this is the language that Woody will understand, and changes will be made. He fired Mangini bc Mangini didn’t sell tickets, and Bowles makes Mangini look like Freddie Mercury as far as entertainment value goes.

for all the feel-good moves mccags has made, it's not going to save his ass beyond this season if he doesn't get a qb.  i expect him to go balls out in the first round to get one next draft.  it's one thing to be a scout and tout value, but it's an entirely another world to be a gm in a major market and try to sell safeties when other teams are finding starters, some in round 2-4.  he's got one chance left, he's got extra draft collateral, and he can't let his scout tendencies tell him to save those 2nd rounders for developmental players.

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, NoBowles said:

Why not? I have watched 1 game this year, and its because of NFL kneeling, not because Jets were kneeling. Then the 1 I watched was fixed, so now Im done.

Yup, there is no doubt

If it was a significant driving force, you'd expect even drops across teams based on overall kneeling, or you'd expect teams who actually are kneeling to have the greater drops.

43 minutes ago, gEYno said:

Not that I disagree that McCown isn't exactly putting fans in the seats, but why is Josh McCown so much more of an affront than Ryan Fitzpatrick?

Because Jets fans unlike Bowles actually learned what a dead end move the veteran retread is from watching Fitzsh*trick for 2 years.

Just now, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

Everybody else gets that there's a difference between kneeling -- impact on ratings and kneeling -- your thoughts. It's one guy. And guess on which side.

Yeah and I was hoping to get a comment in before a chest-beating reaction on the other side.

I can't think of anything more tiresome than people on a decidedly non-politics site bragging - directly or through thinly-veiled stances - about which side of center they fall upon. Who freaking cares?

We should get to much more exciting and less-polarizing discussions. Like my 10 upcoming paragraphs about the insignificant cap nuances of every potential transaction that will likely never happen. :) 

1 hour ago, RoadFan said:

I watched virtually every game for more than 30 years.

This season?  About 4 total quarters...

I am at the point where, as far as I am concerned, there is nothing to follow until they find a franchise QB. I am doing better things with my free time... mostly fishing.

I am not going to give better than I receive from the Jets anymore.

You're missing out. This team has been fun to watch. 

1 hour ago, freestater said:

Who wants to watch their team get ripped off by the refs?

A real problem. What is a catch, a hold, pass interference? Changes form quarter to quarter,series to series, play to play,  to the point looks totally arbitrary.  And there are simply too many flags. No flow to the game at all. 

The blocking behind the back on punts looks like they throw the flag out of habit. When a returner changes direction it's as if they're waiting to toss the flag even if it's not really a penalty, which happened on the Jets last drive Sunday. 

But seriously, how many of you in NY know people who root for teams other than the Jets and the Giants?  When I was growing up, it was almost no one.  The Jets have done good job, with a variety of tools, to alienate their fan base.   They need to start working to bring it back.

2 hours ago, Augustiniak said:

just goes to show you perception is more important than reality.  the fact they're 3-3 is less important than starting a 38 yr old qb.

though, i wonder how much those ratings are affected b/c the jets and giants have often played at the same time, so people can't watch both anymore and the giants are definitely the bigger draw.

i have noticed this a lot more this season.  did something change - it use to be very rarely we would see them on the same time.

This statistic is the result of millions of casual fans being told for months that the Jets were going to be unwatchable.  If true fans aren't watching it just means they weren't really interested in the overhaul/rebuild they'd been begging for.

Overreactions to this kind of thing lead to Tebow signings.  Starting Petty wouldn't have made a dent.  In fact it would likely be worse as we'd no doubt have a worse record.

Just now, Pac said:

This statistic is a result of millions of casual fans being told for months that the Jets were going to be unwatchable.  If true fans aren't watching it just means they weren't really interested in the overhaul/rebuild they'd been begging for.

Overreactions to this kind of thing lead to Tebow signings.  Starting Petty wouldn't have made a dent.  In fact it would likely be worse as we'd no doubt have a worse record.

starting petty would only have made the real core of jet fans more enthusiastic, since petty isn't someone making people tune in and there aren't that many non-qbs who have that type of draw.

regardless of how many draft picks start playing well, i believe mccagnan has one more draft to get a qb.  if he goes 4 drafts and can't find one, he is out.  and i wonder how many new gms who go to bad teams with no qb, do not not take a qb in the first round of the first 3 drafts he leads.   mccagnan's approach to qbs is like banyon deferring the meal to another time and keeps ordering soup.  

My personal feeling is that ratings are down for primarily one reason, the game is just not as exciting anymore. And I think there is a core reason for that actually unrelated to what is on the field. I call it the "micro-pause"

Well what is the "micro pause"? W

ell it is related to the way the games are officiated now and the completely arbitrary nature of the rules themselves and the inconsistent nature in which they are called and enforced. All you need to do is go to a sports bar and listen.

Say it's third down and five, and a critical point in the game, and if you stop them you get the ball back with a chance to win the game. You defense breaks up a pass. Incomplete. Do you cheer? No. You wait a few moments when all that is going through your head is "is there a flag". Seemingly more often than not there is, which is an awful feeling. But even if there isn't, once you realize there isn't a flag the moment is gone and the excitement diminished. 

And this happens on almost every important play. We look for the flag, then cheer. So the high moments are just continuously diminished by this micro pause.

But worse than that, the low moments are even lower, because it seems the majority of times the critical plays are not the plays on the field, but the way the penalties are called. And those are completely arbitrary and often times feel very very biased. With 48 angles on every play you get that bad call rubbed in your face sometimes for minutes. 

And the really great moments which only last a few seconds are diminished by that "micro pause".

Add to that the fact that there are so many rules, and they are so vague, confusing and so inconsistently applied.

Does anyone here truly understand what a "catch" is.

Dez Bryant reaches for the goal line with the ball after catching it and loses control from his outstretched hand when it hits the ground. No catch.

Sunday, a Giants player catches the ball, lands on his elbow and the ball comes loose. Catch and down by contact.  Huih?

So back to the sports bar: big play happens.....several moments of silence...then cheers and boos. 15 years ago: big play happens, instant LOUD cheers and boos.

The micro pause and the state of officiating. Ruining the "fun" of football. We leave games, confused and angry, not elated, or even disappointed at a loss which is much different than confused and angry.

2 hours ago, Saul Goodman said:

This year's team is old?

QB and running back, at least with Forte.

The O line is young, but not very good.  The highest paid guy on D isn't even trying.   The safeties are young, the top 2 WR aren't really young or old, not seeing all these great young WR develop.

20 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

My personal feeling is that ratings are down for primarily one reason, the game is just not as exciting anymore. And I think there is a core reason for that actually unrelated to what is on the field. I call it the "micro-pause"

Well what is the "micro pause"? W

ell it is related to the way the games are officiated now and the completely arbitrary nature of the rules themselves and the inconsistent nature in which they are called and enforced. All you need to do is go to a sports bar and listen.

Say it's third down and five, and a critical point in the game, and if you stop them you get the ball back with a chance to win the game. You defense breaks up a pass. Incomplete. Do you cheer? No. You wait a few moments when all that is going through your head is "is there a flag". Seemingly more often than not there is, which is an awful feeling. But even if there isn't, once you realize there isn't a flag the moment is gone and the excitement diminished. 

And this happens on almost every important play. We look for the flag, then cheer. So the high moments are just continuously diminished by this micro pause.

But worse than that, the low moments are even lower, because it seems the majority of times the critical plays are not the plays on the field, but the way the penalties are called. And those are completely arbitrary and often times feel very very biased. With 48 angles on every play you get that bad call rubbed in your face sometimes for minutes. 

And the really great moments which only last a few seconds are diminished by that "micro pause".

Add to that the fact that there are so many rules, and they are so vague, confusing and so inconsistently applied.

Does anyone here truly understand what a "catch" is.

Dez Bryant reaches for the goal line with the ball after catching it and loses control from his outstretched hand when it hits the ground. No catch.

Sunday, a Giants player catches the ball, lands on his elbow and the ball comes loose. Catch and down by contact.  Huih?

So back to the sports bar: big play happens.....several moments of silence...then cheers and boos. 15 years ago: big play happens, instant LOUD cheers and boos.

The micro pause and the state of officiating. Ruining the "fun" of football. We leave games, confused and angry, not elated, or even disappointed at a loss which is much different than confused and angry.

The refs, the crazy PI penalties, the BS roughing the QB crap.   It's not fun to watch.

Archived