jets viewership down the most

batman10023

25 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

My personal feeling is that ratings are down for primarily one reason, the game is just not as exciting anymore. And I think there is a core reason for that actually unrelated to what is on the field. I call it the "micro-pause"

Well what is the "micro pause"? W

ell it is related to the way the games are officiated now and the completely arbitrary nature of the rules themselves and the inconsistent nature in which they are called and enforced. All you need to do is go to a sports bar and listen.

Say it's third down and five, and a critical point in the game, and if you stop them you get the ball back with a chance to win the game. You defense breaks up a pass. Incomplete. Do you cheer? No. You wait a few moments when all that is going through your head is "is there a flag". Seemingly more often than not there is, which is an awful feeling. But even if there isn't, once you realize there isn't a flag the moment is gone and the excitement diminished. 

And this happens on almost every important play. We look for the flag, then cheer. So the high moments are just continuously diminished by this micro pause.

But worse than that, the low moments are even lower, because it seems the majority of times the critical plays are not the plays on the field, but the way the penalties are called. And those are completely arbitrary and often times feel very very biased. With 48 angles on every play you get that bad call rubbed in your face sometimes for minutes. 

And the really great moments which only last a few seconds are diminished by that "micro pause".

Add to that the fact that there are so many rules, and they are so vague, confusing and so inconsistently applied.

Does anyone here truly understand what a "catch" is.

Dez Bryant reaches for the goal line with the ball after catching it and loses control from his outstretched hand when it hits the ground. No catch.

Sunday, a Giants player catches the ball, lands on his elbow and the ball comes loose. Catch and down by contact.  Huih?

So back to the sports bar: big play happens.....several moments of silence...then cheers and boos. 15 years ago: big play happens, instant LOUD cheers and boos.

The micro pause and the state of officiating. Ruining the "fun" of football. We leave games, confused and angry, not elated, or even disappointed at a loss which is much different than confused and angry.

Eh. Bad calls happen every single game. Can't avoid them, i'm still gonna watch. I don't watch because the team has no hope, I know the season isn't going anywhere so why stay glued to my tv to watch? We know how the story is gonna end so theres not much excitement to be seen. 

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

it's the viewing habits of younger people.  on sundays i plan on watching football, period.  my son who also enjoys watching football, is just as happy watching netflix and following fantasy on his computer.  he'll check in and watch some plays, then go back to what he's doing.  there are way more options now than just watching nfl football, and there are so many games to watch you don't have to watch every game to get your football fix.  it's on 3 days a week, redzone is on all day.  

sure, if the jets draft a hot young qb the ratings will increase next season, but the trend of millenials getting rid of cable and not watching 'regular tv' is also affecting the nfl.

4 hours ago, batman10023 said:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/10/19/tv-ratings-show-most-nfl-teams-losing-local-support/

Most teams in the NFL are down by more than 5 percent. The Jets, playing in America’s biggest television market, are down a whopping 37 percent. 

i for one, have been DVR the games several times this year and watching them later (skipping the commericals and stuff).

I am going to check our stats this week. But I think we are up actually. We definitely aren't down 37% or anything crazy like that. Die-hards be die-hards I guess regardless.

1 hour ago, johnnysd said:

My personal feeling is that ratings are down for primarily one reason, the game is just not as exciting anymore. And I think there is a core reason for that actually unrelated to what is on the field. I call it the "micro-pause"

ell it is related to the way the games are officiated now and the completely arbitrary nature of the rules themselves and the inconsistent nature in which they are called and enforced. All you need to do is go to a sports bar and listen.

Say it's third down and five, and a critical point in the game, and if you stop them you get the ball back with a chance to win the game. You defense breaks up a pass. Incomplete. Do you cheer? No. You wait a few moments when all that is going through your head is "is there a flag". Seemingly more often than not there is, which is an awful feeling. But even if there isn't, once you realize there isn't a flag the moment is gone and the excitement diminished. 

And this happens on almost every important play. We look for the flag, then cheer. So the high moments are just continuously diminished by this micro pause.

But worse than that, the low moments are even lower, because it seems the majority of times the critical plays are not the plays on the field, but the way the penalties are called. And those are completely arbitrary and often times feel very very biased. With 48 angles on every play you get that bad call rubbed in your face sometimes for minutes. 

And the really great moments which only last a few seconds are diminished by that "micro pause".

Add to that the fact that there are so many rules, and they are so vague, confusing and so inconsistently applied.

Dez Bryant reaches for the goal line with the ball after catching it and loses control from his outstretched hand when it hits the ground. No catch.

Sunday, a Giants player catches the ball, lands on his elbow and the ball comes loose. Catch and down by contact.  Huih?

So back to the sports bar: big play happens.....several moments of silence...then cheers and boos. 15 years ago: big play happens, instant LOUD cheers and boos.

The micro pause and the state of officiating. Ruining the "fun" of football. We leave games, confused and angry, not elated, or even disappointed at a loss which is much different than confused and angry.

This really is a great great post!!

You actually identify a very subtle but crucial component to folks feelings about the game and why I myself am feeling my connections to the NFL game steadily diminishing....

I used to be just about the most diehard fan there is, but I have watched the "New England Patriots Win The AFC East" show for 16 straight years now and I just can't do it anymore.

Somebody let me know when that rerun is over.  

SAR I

6 hours ago, batman10023 said:

Most teams in the NFL are down by more than 5 percent. 

Last year being an election year its not fair to compare to 2016 season. 2015 would be a better comparison. The ratings are down 18.5 percent from 2015.

SAR I

10 minutes ago, chirorob said:

So, I'm doing work at home.   KC gets a strip sack of Oakland.   Nope, some random interference call on KC, even the announcer (Romo), "that's within 5 yards, I don't see it".

Every week.   Phantom PI, phantom roughing the QB.

It’s awful, refs determine games way too much 

3 hours ago, SAR I said:

Last year being an election year its not fair to compare to 2016 season. 2015 would be a better comparison. The ratings are down 18.5 percent from 2015.

SAR I

I don't remember what the schedule was that year, but the Mets went deep into the playoffs in '15 and all I remember is giving zero ****s about football when that was happening. I definitely missed a few Jets games and that never really happens. Jets fans tend to be Mets fans, despite the gang of pinstriped jagaloons that congregate on this forum.

I think you got something here....

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

6 hours ago, johnnysd said:

You paint a nice picture but the dadta does not back up your statement. 

From 15 years ago there has been about one extra penalty called per game. 

https://www.sportingcharts.com/articles/nfl/how-many-penalties-in-an-nfl-game-on-average.aspx

The reason the jets ratings are down big is because they have played the same time as the Giants for a couple of weeks, the weather has been amazing, and all the football know-it-alls have told jets fans all off season we weren't going to win more than one game. When people start to realize this team is not nearly as bad as advertised and the weather gets colder ratings will increase. 

Viewership is down across the board; worse for the Jets; as far a I know this is a good thing in the long run.

It is down across the board; I am sure that there are a variety of reasons. Either way, the only reason we are still stuck with this terrible commissioner is because he is making a ton of money for the owners. The sooner they realize he is no longer doing it, the sooner they move away from that joker.

It is worse for the Jets. NYC is one of the largest (if not the largest) TV football markets. The golden goose and they are killing it.

1. Maybe the dumb... league officials should stop showing the Giants and Jets at the same time splitting their viewership - so be it - goodbye commish

2. The commish hates on the Jets; a new stadium and he 'flips a coin' without Woody there and 'wow' Giants win to host first game - the commish says F-the jets

3. Year after year the Jets get a crappy schedule; how many times has the Jets flown to Oakland when they play? how many times do the Pats fly to Oakland; play on Sunday night and then have to play on Thursday night who cares its just the Jets;  - commish says F-the Jets

4. Except for the hated Raiders (especially when Al Davis was still there) what team over the past 10 years as gotten worse calls than the Jets - commish says F-the Jets. And who always gets the break? we know

5. Let's move the draft around (I really don't care); why should NYC always get it; commish says F-NYC (I guess traditions aren't as important as extra $$).

6. The NFL, time and time again has tried to build home teams in LA because of the large TV audience, and yet they go out of the way to crap all of the Jets. The NFL channel calls the team a joke, a circus, and a waste and they wonder why viewership is down. Teams rest players all of the time, but the one time it helps the Jets get into the playoffs and the commish say f-the Jets let's change the rule. Teams tank, suck for luck, and nobody says anything - there is talk of the Jets doing it, and let's add a lottery. the commish says f- they Jets

Sooner or later the viewership is going to drop more and the owners will go to a new miracle man; I will enjoy watching him get kicked to the curb...

So I didn't realize this, but google analytics shows that our page views from 8/1/17 - 10/19/17 are down 22% when compared to the same period last year.

Forum posts are down 15% when compared to the same period last year.

We track the stats vs the other Jets sites, we are doing well in that category. I didn't realize total consumption was down like that though. Maybe I will have to stop censoring the tank crowd after all. :)

1 minute ago, Maxman said:

So I didn't realize this, but google analytics shows that our page views from 8/1/17 - 10/19/17 are down 22% when compared to the same period last year.

We track the stats vs the other Jets sites, we are doing well in that category. I didn't realize total consumption was down like that though. Maybe I will have to stop censoring the tank crowd after all. :)

Bring back maddog. JK. 

16 minutes ago, Maxman said:

Don’t worry once after we lose the next ten games in a row and get Darnold your stats will be back up

35 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Don’t worry once after we lose the next ten games in a row and get Darnold your stats will be back up

3 and 13 won't be bad enough for the first pick. Besides the Jets are going to win at least 6 games.

1 hour ago, RevisIsland610 said:

The reason the jets ratings are down big is because they have played the same time as the Giants for a couple of weeks, the weather has been amazing, and all the football know-it-alls have told jets fans all off season we weren't going to win more than one game. When people start to realize this team is not nearly as bad as advertised and the weather gets colder ratings will increase. 

262b178a-b2ee-11e7-bd84-aff05f4f97d6-780

Methinks you forgot something.

Hmm.  I just can't put my finger on it.

SAR I

1 hour ago, Maxman said:

Many reasons for the ratings declines, but to me the thing is really simple:

There are only 6 teams in the AFC with winning records.  There are only 7 teams in the NFC with winning records.  Not only is the product on the field terrible, not only can't you find a single marquee matchup to get excited about in any week, but it means that 60% of the fans know that their teams aren't good enough to win a Championship.  And no one wants to see the same 6 teams we see every year go deep in the playoffs and it just isn't fun to watch a team that makes you feel hopeless and defeated before Halloween.  I don't think any Browns fans get particular enjoyment watching the Steelers, Broncos, or Patriots play this weekend.  As a Jets fan, if my team were in the playoff hunt I might have been interested enough to watch tonight's game, root against the Raiders, but there's no point in that.

The NFL has a problem and it's that there are 6 teams that go deep in the playoffs every single year and the other 26 are different degrees of suck.  It's a league built for the great quarterback and there aren't enough of them and it's killed the whole thing.

SAR I

10 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Many reasons for the ratings declines, but to me the thing is really simple:

There are only 6 teams in the AFC with winning records.  There are only 7 teams in the NFC with winning records.  Not only is the product on the field terrible, not only can't you find a single marquee matchup to get excited about in any week, but it means that 60% of the fans know that their teams aren't good enough to win a Championship.  And no one wants to see the same 6 teams we see every year go deep in the playoffs and it just isn't fun to watch a team that makes you feel hopeless and defeated before Halloween.  I don't think any Browns fans get particular enjoyment watching the Steelers, Broncos, or Patriots play this weekend.  As a Jets fan, if my team were in the playoff hunt I might have been interested enough to watch tonight's game, root against the Raiders, but there's no point in that.

The NFL has a problem and it's that there are 6 teams that go deep in the playoffs every single year and the other 26 are different degrees of suck.  It's a league built for the great quarterback and there aren't enough of them and it's killed the whole thing.

SAR I

The Jets are in the playoff hunt though. 4 and 3 after they win on Sunday. On pace to be 8 an 6 with two games left.

11 hours ago, T0mShane said:

You know what would instantly make the Jets the most watched team? Signing Kaepernick. Nobody but a handful of hillbillies watching the games on 13” lo-fi screens in small pockets of Appalachia is tuning out because of the kneeling.

The sport is hard to watch because so many teams have no QB, and even those that do have a big QB are getting undone by any team that has a Von Miller-ish edge guy. As for the Jets, there’s not one marketable player on the roster. Nobody sets their clock to watch an undersized safety miss tackles.

The good news for Jets fans is that this is the language that Woody will understand, and changes will be made. He fired Mangini bc Mangini didn’t sell tickets, and Bowles makes Mangini look like Freddie Mercury as far as entertainment value goes.

Colin sucks as a person and QB.  How would he help us again?

SAR I has pretty much nailed it - It comes down to the product on the field. The NFL I got into was all about the variety of styles and match-ups - Getting to see the balls to the wall Rams/Colts going up against physically dominant sides like the Steelers/Ravens. Now it's simply about getting a QB, keeping him healthy and you're pretty much assured to be a contender for a decade.

The rule changes have been necessary but horrible. I'm not even guilty about how much pleasure I took in the massive hits that were dished out in every game, they were awesome to watch. They took one of the highlights of the sport, removed it and it will only get worse. The high scoring shootouts that followed kept casuals going for a while but it was never sustainable. It's a watered down product and everyone knows it. 

9 hours ago, Maxman said:

The Jets are in the playoff hunt though. 4 and 3 after they win on Sunday. On pace to be 8 an 6 with two games left.

And that doesn't mean anything. Being a one-and-done wildcard team with zero chance at a Super Bowl is just as bad as going 3-13. 

Team sports like baseball and hockey you can win a Championship if the team elevates itself.  But football is now an individual sport, it's about the quarterback.  It's like tennis.  

SAR I

Not only is the team not fun to watch in any way, shape or form, they also have very little in the terms of a player on either side of the ball who is a “must watch”. There’s no old school AP or a game breaking wide receiver or a pass rusher who can get a sack on any given dropback. They also have very little in terms of players non Jets fans would be interested (fantasy players). The only player worth owning fantasy wise on this team is ASJ and they forget about him for long stretches of the game at times. 

14 minutes ago, SAR I said:

And that doesn't mean anything. Being a one-and-done wildcard team with zero chance at a Super Bowl is just as bad as going 3-13. 

Team sports like baseball and hockey you can win a Championship if the team elevates itself.  But football is now an individual sport, it's about the quarterback.  It's like tennis.  

SAR I

Thank you for the feedback and the update.

Archived