Chiefs-Raiders, why NFL ratings are down, and EAD Jets

T0mShane

1. They need to kill Thursday Night Football. Nobody is ready for it. Nobody wants it. It’s gross. It’s like waking somebody up at 3 a.m. and asking them to immediately take the SAT in front of a million people. Players get hurt more, linemen get beat more, refs make worse calls, and this is supposedly the appetizer for Sunday, and it sucks. Sundays used to be sacrosanct, but now they feel like the last two cold, clammy slices of a pizza pie that you don’t really want to eat, but you force down anyway because it’s pizza. 

2. I’m in an incredibly hipster bar and a bunch of the hipster dudes—who have NO BUSINESS talking football—are all talking about their fantasy teams. They talk at length about their scoring systems, about players who score points for them, those who cost them games, etc...but then one of them (while pulling on a vape pen) said, “they just called a wideout screen that started three yards behind the line of scrimmage that ended up netting seven yards! Why does that not count as ten yards?” Point being, these are dudes who didn’t learn the game by watching or playing football, they “learned” football from fantasy sports and Madden. 

3. Tony Romo is good at doing color analysis, and this is significant because another area where the NFL has fallen off is in its presentation, particularly the studio shows and announcing crews. The NFL has spent a decade chasing customer bases that will neverrrrrr watch football on a week to week basis, and it’s ruining the product. They need to get back to speaking to the 24/7 football fan: the dude who follows the game, knows the players, gives a sh*t about the history and future of the game. Instead, Goodell is chasing housewives and teenagers, using circus clowns like Deion Sanders and Rex and Rodney Harrison and an assortment of castoff Fox News bleach blondes to chatter over and during broadcasts. Goodell is obsessed with expanding into Europe, which is heinous. Get back to the core customer. Stop turning game analysis into Kardashian-level banalities wrapped in embarrassing T&A/COME ON MAN/watch me dance here in a suit/I’m a washed up coach let me air my grievances giftwrap.

4. Andy Reid is better than Belichick with the difference being that Reid is the one who doesn’t cheat. 

5. There is so much sneaky talent on the Chiefs roster that I’m fairly annoyed that we won’t hire John Dorsey to either supplement or replace Macc.

6. If I have to choose between Alex Smith or Kirk Cousins, I’m choosing Smith and it’s not really close. Cousins is going to cost some owner $120 mil and is they’re going to regret every penny of it.

7. Justin Houston was a third round pick who hit every SPARQ marker, and Khalil Mack was a first rounder who hit those marks as well, and they’re dominant players. Mike Maccagnan has quite obviously never heard of SPARQ, Sackseer, or Lewin. This is a huge problem, because it leads to Jordan Jenkins and Lorenzo Maudlin. Edge rusher, after QB, is the most important position in the sport, and Macc is clueless at drafting the first and second most important positions in the sport.

8. I’ve been awful at evaluating which college QBs will be good, but I desperately wanted the Jets to draft Derek Carr. He’s a talented, flawed, player who reminds me of Bryce Petty in that Todd Bowles would find a reason to bury a talented, flawed young QB on the bench forever. 

7 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

7. Justin Houston was a third round pick who hit every SPARQ marker, and Khalil Mack was a first rounder who hit those marks as well, and they’re dominant players. Mike Maccagnan has quite obviously never heard of SPARQ, Sackseer, or Lewin. This is a huge problem, because it leads to Jordan Jenkins and Lorenzo Maudlin. Edge rusher, after QB, is the most important position in the sport, and Macc is clueless at drafting the first and second most important positions in the sport.

what no

7 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

2. I’m in an incredibly hipster bar and a bunch of the hipster dudes—who have NO BUSINESS talking football—are all talking about their fantasy teams. They talk at length about their scoring systems, about players who score points for them, those who cost them games, etc...but then one of them (while pulling on a vape pen) said, “they just called a wideout screen that started three yards behind the line of scrimmage that ended up netting seven yards! Why does that not count as ten yards?” Point being, these are dudes who didn’t learn the game by watching or playing football, they “learned” football from fantasy sports and Madden. 

Please tell me that you made this up. Even if you didn't make it up, please tell me that you made it up.

32 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

1. They need to kill Thursday Night Football. Nobody is ready for it. Nobody wants it. It’s gross. It’s like waking somebody up at 3 a.m. and asking them to immediately take the SAT in front of a million people. Players get hurt more, linemen get beat more, refs make worse calls, and this is supposedly the appetizer for Sunday, and it sucks. Sundays used to be sacrosanct, but now they feel like the last two cold, clammy slices of a pizza pie that you don’t really want to eat, but you force down anyway because it’s pizza. 

3. Tony Romo is good at doing color analysis, and this is significant because another area where the NFL has fallen off is in its presentation, particularly the studio shows and announcing crews. The NFL has spent a decade chasing customer bases that will neverrrrrr watch football on a week to week basis, and it’s ruining the product. They need to get back to speaking to the 24/7 football fan: the dude who follows the game, knows the players, gives a sh*t about the history and future of the game. Instead, Goodell is chasing housewives and teenagers, using circus clowns like Deion Sanders and Rex and Rodney Harrison and an assortment of castoff Fox News bleach blondes to chatter over and during broadcasts. Goodell is obsessed with expanding into Europe, which is heinous. Get back to the core customer. Stop turning game analysis into Kardashian-level banalities wrapped in embarrassing T&A/COME ON MAN/watch me dance here in a suit/I’m a washed up coach let me air my grievances giftwrap.

4. Andy Reid is better than Belichick with the difference being that Reid is the one who doesn’t cheat. 

5. There is so much sneaky talent on the Chiefs roster that I’m fairly annoyed that we won’t hire John Dorsey to either supplement or replace Macc.

6. If I have to choose between Alex Smith or Kirk Cousins, I’m choosing Smith and it’s not really close. Cousins is going to cost some owner $120 mil and is they’re going to regret every penny of it.

8. I’ve been awful at evaluating which college QBs will be good, but I desperately wanted the Jets to draft Derek Carr. He’s a talented, flawed, player who reminds me of Bryce Petty in that Todd Bowles would find a reason to bury a talented, flawed young QB on the bench forever. 

Bravo! But Thursday Night Football is not all they need to kill. Also kill Sunday and Monday Night Football as well. Bring back Sunday Afternoon Football!

21 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I'd be fine with all NFL games being on Sunday.  At 1 pm and 4 pm EST.

I'd be fine tossing the vastly overrated MNF out along with the horror of TNF.

While we're at it, can we have the One Day Most of Draft Saturday back too?

Also bravo! But not just Sunday. Sunday afternoon.

The NFL should learn from MLB's mistake 4 hour weeknight playoff game fiasco-nobody on the East Coast with a job is staying up after 11/1130 unless their team is playing. This game won't end until close to midnight. So they aren't going to get invested in any of these night games,again, unless their team is playing or you're a degenerate gambler. They took Monday night football and and the Thanksgiving games and those Saturday games in December  from being something special and made it crap. 

Impression of Romo is they didn't have enough time to fill his head with cliches and nonsense, so he's simply talking about football, even if he has a little kid's voice.That sequence about the clock and the 2 minute was what color guys should be telling you. 

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

1. They need to kill Thursday Night Football.

I don't know why people care about Thursday Night Football since it only exists for the fans of the two teams who play on Thursday night.

It's not supposed to be some gargantuan ratings success.  It merely allows the NFL to relocate an average blah 1pm Sunday game to Thursday night so they can make a bit more money and give the fans of the two teams involved a mid-week adrenalin rush once a year.

TNF on October 19 is not for you.  It's for Chiefs and Raiders fans.

SAR I

Have you ever been laid?

1. They need to kill Thursday Night Football. Sundays used to be sacrosanct, but now they feel like the last two cold, clammy slices of a pizza pie that you don’t really want to eat, but you force down anyway because it’s pizza. 

2. I’m in an incredibly hipster bar and a bunch of the hipster dudes—who have NO BUSINESS talking football.

3. Tony Romo is good at doing color analysis, and this is significant because another area where the NFL has fallen off is in its presentation, particularly the studio shows and announcing crews. 

5.I’m fairly annoyed that we won’t hire John Dorsey to either supplement or replace Macc.

7. Edge rusher, after QB, is the most important position in the sport, and Macc is clueless at drafting the first and second most important positions in the sport.

8. I desperately wanted the Jets to draft Derek Carr. He’s a talented, flawed, player who reminds me of Bryce Petty in that Todd Bowles would find a reason to bury a talented, flawed young QB on the bench forever. 

1. TNF is horrible. OVERKILL. Freshly made pizza out of oven only way to go.

2. What are you doing in  hipster bar? End of this point. 

3. Agree 100% watch Good morning football for 5 minutes if you ever feel like you need to throw up your cookies.

4. Classy guy.

5. Mac the Wack. Yes please replace this wannabe. 

6. Pass on both. Too much for either. Cross your fingers and grab a QB next years draft. 

7. QB and edge rusher are not most important. Safety is. ?

8. The list goes on and on Bridgewater, Presscott,  Carr - who I really liked - and we have Petty - who I was thrilled with - looks good holding a clipboard. 

9 hours ago, T0mShane said:

nice rant - wonder what was in that vape pen - a fun response to the yards from catch vs yards from scrimmage comment would have been to ask him about sideline to sideline yards, and/or impact of the zig-zag run?  maybe plant a seed and see how it grows "we can put pedometers on these guys and track how far they really travel..."

LOL that would really mess with them and the record books :)

classic

You nailed TNF. There's something super disorienting about being almost three days into the week when the early Sunday games kick off. And for what? So the regular season is more continuous? Like it is in the other sports whose regular seasons nobody cares about? When people say gosh we really like diamonds it's too bad there aren't more, does de Beers proceed to flood the market? It's not hard to keep people coming back for this product. They actively screwed this up.

If that was a "great game" the NFL is in trouble. The last 3 games I've watched have been defined by terrible officiating, who seem dead set on deciding the game. That was unwatchable garbage at the end, pure guesswork.

The TNF concept is terrible but isn't going anywhere. You'll sooner see them move to having a game every night of the week. The NFL geared it's product towards fantasy football users long ago - It was literally the first tab on NFL.com a few years back, haven't checked but it probably still is. The actual sport itself is secondary until the playoffs start. 

10 hours ago, T0mShane said:

This is so ******* true, and the most annoying part is the inevitable truism you get thrown back at you of:  "FANTASY FOOTBALL IS THE REASON THE NFL IS SO POPULAR!".   ****. You. No. It. Isn't. 

10 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Nicely done Tom. BTW, don't go back to that bar. lol

26 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Just wanted to add that Penn State is the second ranked team in the country right now which is weird since I heard James Franklin literally murders quarterbacks.

I thought you were not dipping back into all things college QB.

Archived