Darron Lee per PFF

AFJF

LB DARRON LEE, 84.8 OVERALL GRADE

The Jets were able to hold the Dolphins running game in check with Darron Lee leading the way. The Jets defense gave up just 2.1 yards per carry for a total of 53 yards, including an astonishing one yard before contact. Lee was shedding interior blocks all day, totaling five solo stops as well as securing a quarterback hit rushing the passer.

Two groups happy with Darron Lee today:

1. Whoever gave him that grade at PFF

2. Anyone rooting for the Dolphins

I think he is getting better, I am encouraged by some signs of life. He still has a long way to go. He had two personal fouls today. 30 yards he handed the Dolphins. Really want him to be better in coverage as well.

I think he is shedding the bust label, but hopefully his upside is higher than what we have seen. As a 1st round pick they need him to be.

1 minute ago, Maxman said:

I think he is getting better, I am encouraged by some signs of life. He still has a long way to go. He had two personal fouls today. 30 yards he handed the Dolphins. Really want him to be better in coverage as well.

I think he is shedding the bust label, but hopefully his upside is higher than what we have seen. As a 1st round pick they need him to be.

To many bone head plays mixed in with the good, the PFF score is to high.

4 minutes ago, Maxman said:

The one flag was complete BS. The other was a legit call, but was on a play where Lee was in position.  It looked like Lee's best game as a pro to me

Just now, shuler82 said:

The one flag was complete BS. The other was a legit call, but was on a play where Lee was in position.  It looked like Lee's best game as a pro to me

The one flag was helmet to helmet. They have to call that. It was basically Cutler ducking. It wasn't intentional and it was a tough break for Lee. But with all this concussion stuff they have to call any helmet to helmet hit.

2 minutes ago, Maxman said:

The one flag was helmet to helmet. They have to call that. It was basically Cutler ducking. It wasn't intentional and it was a tough break for Lee. But with all this concussion stuff they have to call any helmet to helmet hit.

I get that they'll always call helmet to helmet, but Cutler ducking into Lee's helmet is a little different than Lee launching himself head first.

3 minutes ago, shuler82 said:

I get that they'll always call helmet to helmet, but Cutler ducking into Lee's helmet is a little different than Lee launching himself head first.

It is a tough break for Lee. I agree. I am just saying they are going to call it.

I think he is getting better. But the PFF grade is too high.

2 minutes ago, shuler82 said:

Agree and that's the issue. What is Lee supposed to do. You can watch every angle, the only way Lee could avoid a penalty there is to not make the hit. Lee comes full speed and is aiming the body. Cutler turns and ducks as soon as the hit is made.

33 minutes ago, Maxman said:

The hit on Cutler wasn't an egregious penalty. He didn't lower his head. It was more of an inadvertent. He was great all day until the team imploded and he had a couple of bad plays late. 

Overall the kid is getting better and better. If not for that penalty, his grade would be way higher. 

Lee really has great range and makes good tackles on the run.  The problem is he can't cover at all (which is why he was brought in), and his pass rush is weak b/c he can't engage blockers well.  Theres a reason he's a mlb and not a olb.

The good thing is he's slowly improving, but those penalties really hurt us and yea his grade is way too high. 

19 minutes ago, Barton said:

Lee is going to be a VERY good player. To me, it was obvious in watching him last season. 

Nobody, and I do mean NOBODY, could have watched Lee last season and thought that.  Did you accidentally watch some 2015 Ohio State film when they beat up on some scrub opponent?

19 minutes ago, Barton said:

Lee is going to be a VERY good player. To me, it was obvious in watching him last season. 

Just now, RoadFan said:

Nobody, and I do mean NOBODY, could have watched Lee last season and thought that.  Did you accidentally watch some Ohio State film when they beat up on,some scrub team?

I don't really have anything to add. Just want to say I loved this back and forth, pretty funny.

I'm amazed how much Lee has improved the past two games.  I don't care about the helmet to helmet hit (this year is meaningless). I'm just happy he's making it to the QB.

He just turned 23. His athleticism has been popping off the screen to me. Great closing speed, makes tackles in space.  His lateral movement and change of direction are very good. He's getting more confident allowing him to be more aggressive. He's putting his nose in there more- never gonna be a thumper but he's going to be great when kept clean and I think he's right there in coverage, close to being very good in coverage. He's still growing into his body.

based on how bad he looked just a few weeks ago I'm very happy with his development.

He and Adams are the best athletes on the team.

2 hours ago, David Harris said:

I'm amazed how much Lee has improved the past two games.  I don't care about the helmet to helmet hit (this year is meaningless). I'm just happy he's making it to the QB.

He just turned 23. His athleticism has been popping off the screen to me. Great closing speed, makes tackles in space.  His lateral movement and change of direction are very good. He's getting more confident allowing him to be more aggressive. He's putting his nose in there more- never gonna be a thumper but he's going to be great when kept clean and I think he's right there in coverage, close to being very good in coverage. He's still growing into his body.

based on how bad he looked just a few weeks ago I'm very happy with his development.

I’d say the last 3-4 weeks, but hair splitting aside, it’s been encouraging.

10 hours ago, Larz said:

Would like to see him get more chances to rush the QB

I think that is the major difference, that they are using his speed to rush the QB and has the sideline speed to catch the RB. He can actually be an effective blitzer that made him a 1st round pick

9 hours ago, RoadFan said:

Nobody, and I do mean NOBODY, could have watched Lee last season and thought that.  Did you accidentally watch some 2015 Ohio State film when they beat up on some scrub opponent?

Look beneath his "struggles" last season. The guys in front of him werent doing their job, for one. And alot of his mistakes were just based on inexperience (over-pursuing, taking the wrong gap to make the tackle etc). He was still making plays horizontally and ANYONE who complained about his coverage flaws was making a mistake. On most of the receptions he gave up, he was RIGHT THERE covering the guy. Now he's improved in every aspect this season.

I dont know how good his downhill run stuffing game will ever be. But the Jets would be wise to get some legit nose tackles in front of him. If they do that, and let him run around, he'll easily be the best Jets linebacker in years. 

6 hours ago, David Harris said:

Thank you!!!

2 hours ago, Barton said:

Look beneath his "struggles" last season. The guys in front of him werent doing their job, for one. And alot of his mistakes were just based on inexperience (over-pursuing, taking the wrong gap to make the tackle etc). He was still making plays horizontally and ANYONE who complained about his coverage flaws was making a mistake. On most of the receptions he gave up, he was RIGHT THERE covering the guy. Now he's improved in every aspect this season.

I dont know how good his downhill run stuffing game will ever be. But the Jets would be wise to get some legit nose tackles in front of him. If they do that, and let him run around, he'll easily be the best Jets linebacker in years. 

You just described a combination of Calvin Pryor and Kyle Wilson,  which is what I saw last season.

And you expect people to believe that you were able to foresee a VERY good player based on the above observations?

16 hours ago, Maxman said:

Was talking to my buddy earlier in the day before this happened about these exact plays. I'm actually pretty sure it happened in one of the other games with a WR that we were watching. There needs to some sort of review done to stop these ridiculous flags. It is absolutely frustrating watching a guy line up a tackle perfectly to only have the offensive player duck down at the last second & end up as a helmet to helmet. With the speed of the game, there's no way a defender can adjust in time to stop & alter his trajectory. 

I understand why these rules were put in place but it happens far too often & they are often demoralizing for the defense. The flags need to be for egregious hits only where a guy launches himself off the ground & up into the players helmet. As an example the Robby Anderson non-call against the Pats. 

11 hours ago, RoadFan said:

You just described a combination of Calvin Pryor and Kyle Wilson,  which is what I saw last season.

And you expect people to believe that you were able to foresee a VERY good player based on the above observations?

You are comparing safeties to linebackers. 

On 10/22/2017 at 6:30 PM, Maxman said:

I'm sorry, but the roughing the passer penalty was not legit in my book.  QB ducked into that hit, it wasn't on Lee who did it right.

21 hours ago, Barton said:

You are comparing safeties to linebackers. 

I was comparing players that "'over-pursue', 'take bad angles', and get themselves in position, 'right there,' to make a play in coverage but rarely do because of; failure to turn their head around or just a general lack of football instincts." 

Didn't think that was a complicated concept?  Different positions notwithstanding...

On 10/22/2017 at 6:30 PM, Maxman said:

he was on the ball a lot, though.  did not like the call on Cutler.  Cutler dipped into him.  He was chest aimed.  The rule may be the rule, but he did his thing the right way. On the play after he drew a holding penalty on Pouncey

1 hour ago, RoadFan said:

I was comparing players that "'over-pursue', 'take bad angles', and get themselves in position, 'right there,' to make a play in coverage but rarely do because of; failure to turn their head around or just a general lack of football instincts." 

Didn't think that was a complicated concept?  Different positions notwithstanding...

We can go back and forth all week. But I like the way Lee has progressed. He showed positives as a rookie. Those other 2 guys never really did AND they lacked great athleticism. 

Archived