Buster Skrine per PFF

AFJF

No need to worry though.  Todd Bowles said he wasn't disappointed with his team's performance today, and that Buster Skrine played well last week.

CB BUSTER SKRINE, 27.1 OVERALL GRADE

Skrine struggled throughout the day, with a number of penalties and he gave up plenty of big plays down the field. Overall he was targeted 7 times, giving up 7 catches for 119 yards 3 touchdowns and a perfect passer rating of 158.3 in coverage. Skrine was beaten for touchdowns on the final two scores for the Dolphins.

22 minutes ago, AFJF said:

No need to worry though.  Todd Bowles said he wasn't disappointed with his team's performance today, and that Buster Skrine played well last week.

Skrine struggled throughout the day, with a number of penalties and he gave up plenty of big plays down the field. Overall he was targeted 7 times, giving up 7 catches for 119 yards 3 touchdowns and a perfect passer rating of 158.3 in coverage. Skrine was beaten for touchdowns on the final two scores for the Dolphins.

That is actually too high.

2 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Is this like the SATs where a person gets 27.1 pts for just spelling his name correctly? Oh wait, not sure why I'm assuming skrine is even capable of doing that....

If today was the day of the SAT test the only thing we know for sure is:

Buster Skrine would have shown up without a # 2 pencil.

Skrine was one of Macc’s prized free agent grabs when he had a boatload of money a few seasons ago. Turns out that he’s still as bad as he was when he was in Cleveland. Macc overpaid him a few years ago and when he had a chance at getting out, he restructured the guy instead of releasing him. Now Macc (in theory) is about t have another boatload of money. There is no way that this guy deserves a second chance at wasting money, time, and resources with this team. And he should take Skrine with him when he goes. 

Just now, CrazyCarl40 said:

Skrine was one of Macc’s prized free agent grabs when he had a boatload of money a few seasons ago. Turns out that he’s still as bad as he was when he was in Cleveland. Macc overpaid him a few years ago and when he had a chance at getting out, he restructured the guy instead of releasing him. Now Macc (in theory) is about t have another boatload of money. There is no way that this guy deserves a second chance at wasting money, time, and resources with this team. And he should take Skrine with him when he goes. 

This is a good point. Was Skrine this bad in Cleveland? If so that is really bad.

I feel like he had to be better. Frustrating because he looked good at times this year. But there is no way you come back from what happened today. Like he seriously needs to be cut after today.

22 minutes ago, Maxman said:

This is a good point. Was Skrine this bad in Cleveland? If so that is really bad.

I feel like he had to be better. Frustrating because he looked good at times this year. But there is no way you come back from what happened today. Like he seriously needs to be cut after today.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/free-agency-five-worst-signings

Buster Skrine, CB, New York Jets

This one didn’t make sense at the time, but made even less sense after the Jets signed Antonio Cromartie for an even more lucrative deal just days later. Performance aside, they paid Skrine the 15th-most guaranteed money (four-year, $25m, $13m guaranteed) of any cornerback in the league to come in and be the Jets’ nickel corner. That’s bad business from the outset. When you look at Skrine’s past production it gets even worse.

The fifth-year cornerback was the weak link in the Browns’ secondary ever since he was thrust into the nickelback role in 2012. Skrine was promoted to starter in 2013 and turned in overall grades of 12.1 and -6.3 in the two subsequent seasons. He’s simply been a below average player over the course of his career, and even though he has played slot corner, he’s never stood out. His lowest passer rating against from the slot over the past three seasons is 95.5 and that came last year.

There are two other pretty glaring concerns with the deal, the first being Skrine’s limited stature at 5-foot-9 and 185 pounds. Undersized corners around the league tend to have a suppressed market due to many teams being unwilling to sign them. The other issue is Skrine’s egregious penalty problem from a year ago. He committed 17 penalties, the most at the position in the PFF era. There are so many red flags in this deal that it is easily the worst one we’ve seen yet this offseason.

18 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/free-agency-five-worst-signings

Buster Skrine, CB, New York Jets

This one didn’t make sense at the time, but made even less sense after the Jets signed Antonio Cromartie for an even more lucrative deal just days later. Performance aside, they paid Skrine the 15th-most guaranteed money (four-year, $25m, $13m guaranteed) of any cornerback in the league to come in and be the Jets’ nickel corner. That’s bad business from the outset. When you look at Skrine’s past production it gets even worse.

The fifth-year cornerback was the weak link in the Browns’ secondary ever since he was thrust into the nickelback role in 2012. Skrine was promoted to starter in 2013 and turned in overall grades of 12.1 and -6.3 in the two subsequent seasons. He’s simply been a below average player over the course of his career, and even though he has played slot corner, he’s never stood out. His lowest passer rating against from the slot over the past three seasons is 95.5 and that came last year.

There are two other pretty glaring concerns with the deal, the first being Skrine’s limited stature at 5-foot-9 and 185 pounds. Undersized corners around the league tend to have a suppressed market due to many teams being unwilling to sign them. The other issue is Skrine’s egregious penalty problem from a year ago. He committed 17 penalties, the most at the position in the PFF era. There are so many red flags in this deal that it is easily the worst one we’ve seen yet this offseason.

Wait PFF gave him negative grades back then? And he was a 28 today? I am officially scared.

6 hours ago, Maxman said:

No.  He was inconsistent, but not completely incapable of covering anyone.

6 hours ago, AFJF said:

If you actually read that you realize that literally and nickel on any team including PS players could match that performance. I actually think we have some decent assistants but Bowles is a train wreck. He blamed everything on penalties in his presser. Does anyone think the hood-ied one has to watch film to know if one of his players sucked ass that day?

Skrine makes a lot of plays and is aggressive the calls on him today were a bit ridiculous. The holding call where he shoved the WR INSIDE the allotted 5 yards was a really bad call. This was another terribly called football game by the Ref's/ Also the Darron Lee call was a questionable one after seeing the replay that Culter actually ducked into the helmet to helmet contact.

What would cutting him right now fix? It would open up a roster spot for one of the many studs who are still floating around in free agency? I don't understand why everyone is so quick to scream cut someone after they have a bad game or two even the guys who make the hall of fame have had bad games obviously not saying skrine is a great player.

Sent from my LGUS991 using JetNation.com mobile app

28 minutes ago, bealeb319 said:

What would cutting him right now fix? It would open up a roster spot for one of the many studs who are still floating around in free agency? I don't understand why everyone is so quick to scream cut someone after they have a bad game or two even the guys who make the hall of fame have had bad games obviously not saying skrine is a great player.

Skrine has been bad his entire career. Benching him and letting a young player cut their teeth at the position makes complete sense. I’d rather see what a young corner has, even if that’s getting beat all day, because then at least the Jets could further the illusion that they’re trying to develop young players. 

Skrine has been bad his entire career. Benching him and letting a young player cut their teeth at the position makes complete sense. I’d rather see what a young corner has, even if that’s getting beat all day, because then at least the Jets could further the illusion that they’re trying to develop young players. 

By all means bench him and let someone else come in so we can see what they have but that is not the same as cutting if you cut the guy and the guy(s) you bring in to replace him don't work out you can't get skrine back in there if he is on the bench he can just slip back in and play. This is a whole different conversation after the season by all means cut him and find a replacement but mid season cuts based off emotions doesn't make sense.

15 hours ago, Maxman said:

He was supposed to be an excellent young nickel corner.

2 hours ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Literally, anyone could come in and do as good a job.    He stopped nothing.   Shoot, even with luck a WR would have dropped a pass, so the completion % against him wouldn't have been 100%.

A few of us voiced that skrine was terribad before we singed him.  I think my comment on this board or another was that he would be the most hated guy on the team before long.  He was AWFUL in Cleveland when he had to play outside CB so no surprise he has been as bad here.

The thing about him is he is one of these guys that gets burnt and takes penalties.  Either take the penalties and stop the guy or get burnt and don't take penalty's, special kind of incompetence to do both.

18 hours ago, AFJF said:

How did he manage a 27? It shouldve been a negative. No, seriously, after you give up a million yards on penalties, and several TD, your grade should become a negative. 

Archived