The Jets have blown 3 big leads to the Jaguars, Patriots, and Dolphins. Its on coaching!!

Jetsbb

The biggest impact of coaching is how they manage the end game. I always used to wonder how the patriots always seemed to pull out close games at the end. Its clear to me the strategy of how to manage and call plays at the end is when coaching has its biggest impact. I have stated for a while now if the Jets extend Bowles they will always be at a disadvantage in games with his sh*tty time management and end game strategy. Apparently Christopher Johnson is spending a lot of time in the building getting chummy with everyone and wants to be their friend. This dork will extend Bowles after this 5-11 season mark my words.

50 minutes ago, FlagmanL11 said:

Bowles has no emotion and sucks with time management. Can’t stand listening to him speak.  Where is the fire?  Anyone notice that he never seems to be talking to anyone on the sielines? 

Why would he talk to anyone on the sidelines? He doesn't have a problem with how anybody plays! No one is accountable for anything - just ask him. He thinks everyone is doing just fine, just need to develop some mystery instincts or some sh*t like that. ******* excuse after excuse for sh*tty coaching.

Actually it’s not the coach, it’s the QB. The ill fated lateral against the Jags, the interception prior to the half against the Pats and the interception against the Dolphins. That’s not coaching, that is poor QB play at the worst time. Also Buster Skrine and his one man penalty-a-thon gets honorable mention. 

McCown plays great in spurts, but his undoing are these costly turnovers.

5 hours ago, jetscrazey said:

You need a pass rush to close games.  Jets don't have one.

Thats  fair but........  a game plan would help.  McCown throwing picks is on coaching and McCown.

The play calling is terrible in the final 5 minutes.

NE and Miami were games that a Cowher, Gruden, Tomlin etc.. would never lose in the 4th qtr.

An above average coach probably wins the last 2 games. Bowles defenses never get better, they just stay inconsistent. His defense in 10-6 season was below average in crunch times. 2015, Jets don't make the playoffs without a Giants FG miss.

If you look at this season it's the offense with a journeyman QB playing under Morton showing signs of growth. Morton can't overcome a 15 year vet doing dumb sh*t like the pick before halftime vs the Pats & that ill fated skittish duck he threw yesterday to lose the game. Something tells me Morton said, "We're going for it, take what they give you, protect the ball". 

For the most part, I like the offense Morton has put in & he doesn't have much to work with comparative to other teams at the skill positions, so Morton is doing more WITH LESS. Bowles has proven he does LESS WITH MORE.

The coaching college (not just Bowles) seems to say that when you have a 4th quarter lead (2 Tds) you then trade yardage for minutes. In other words if your defense has held them successfully you go into a protection mode and try to survive to win the game. Probably on a statistical basis it works but we've seen that it doesn't. I'm not sure that yesterday's game was a full scale prevent but the secondary was giving them a lot more cushion. You also have to give them some credit too, their Wrs outplayed our Dbs. I don't think Bowles is going to change on that point. He's going to revert to his training as a coach. And I'm not sure there are too many others around (he's been a D coach for 20 years) who wouldn't do the same thing. But it kills momentum and allows a team to get back in a game after they were outplayed. I hate it. 

46 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

Thats  fair but........  a game plan would help.  McCown throwing picks is on coaching and McCown.

The play calling is terrible in the final 5 minutes.

NE and Miami were games that a Cowher, Gruden, Tomlin etc.. would never lose in the 4th qtr.

I'm sure Gruden, Cowher, Tomlin have 4the quarter blown leads losses on their resumes 

12 minutes ago, Jetster said:

An above average coach probably wins the last 2 games. Bowles defenses never get better, they just stay inconsistent. His defense in 10-6 season was below average in crunch times. 2015, Jets don't make the playoffs without a Giants FG miss.

If you look at this season it's the offense with a journeyman QB playing under Morton showing signs of growth. Morton can't overcome a 15 year vet doing dumb sh*t like the pick before halftime vs the Pats & that ill fated skittish duck he threw yesterday to lose the game. Something tells me Morton said, "We're going for it, take what they give you, protect the ball". 

For the most part, I like the offense Morton has put in & he doesn't have much to work with comparative to other teams at the skill positions, so Morton is doing more WITH LESS. Bowles has proven he does LESS WITH MORE.

Bowles does less with more? I don't know what your opinion of this roster was before the season. 

7 hours ago, Jetsbb said:

The biggest impact of coaching is how they manage the end game. I always used to wonder how the patriots always seemed to pull out close games at the end. Its clear to me the strategy of how to manage and call plays at the end is when coaching has its biggest impact. I have stated for a while now if the Jets extend Bowles they will always be at a disadvantage in games with his sh*tty time management and end game strategy. Apparently Christopher Johnson is spending a lot of time in the building getting chummy with everyone and wants to be their friend. This dork will extend Bowles after this 5-11 season mark my words.

You are absolutely correct, this was a staple of the Jets before Parcells got here and we have been great at protecting big leads since that time.  In the days of Coslet, carroll, Kotite we used to bloew big leads routinely.  This is about coaching and it starts at the top.

1 minute ago, RESNewYork said:

Bowles does less with more? I don't know what your opinion of this roster was before the season. 

he certainly did less w/ more the first 2 years.  this year we have exceeded expectations already but the league is down, we have a chance to really compete and yesterday was a big game for this coaching staff and he blew it.

3 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

he certainly did less w/ more the first 2 years.  this year we have exceeded expectations already but the league is down, we have a chance to really compete and yesterday was a big game for this coaching staff and he blew it.

2015 was less with more? I thought the general concensus was the Jets surprised.

You could also argue 2016 roster was filled with older veterans that dropped off a cliff and horrible QB play. Evidenced by how those players that were cut are not on an NFL roster this season. 

2 minutes ago, RESNewYork said:

2015 was less with more? I thought the general concensus was the Jets surprised.

You could also argue 2016 roster was filled with older veterans that dropped off a cliff and horrible QB play. Evidenced by how those players that were cut are not on an NFL roster this season. 

that roster was loaded against a weak schedule, we should have easily been a playoff team.  That team was as talented top to bottom as the 2009/2010 Jets who made title game apps. we just didn't have as good of a coach.

I can give a pass on 2016 knowing what we know now but that would made 2 of 3 years doing less w/ more knowing what we know now as in 2017 they should have a better record.

1 hour ago, JetsFanatic said:

Actually it’s not the coach, it’s the QB. The ill fated lateral against the Jags, the interception prior to the half against the Pats and the interception against the Dolphins. That’s not coaching, that is poor QB play at the worst time. Also Buster Skrine and his one man penalty-a-thon gets honorable mention. 

pretty much this.  bowles is not a good coach but he is limited with what mccown can do.  the penalties suck, but i think the game is compromised by them.  

At what point do we get to blame the coach and not the lack of talent?  A good coach gets the most out of his players, and Bowles does not.  His defense has continued to wilt when the game is on the line over the last 2+ years.  He's a terrible coach and needs to go.

39 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

29 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

that roster was loaded against a weak schedule, we should have easily been a playoff team.  That team was as talented top to bottom as the 2009/2010 Jets who made title game apps. we just didn't have as good of a coach.

I can give a pass on 2016 knowing what we know now but that would made 2 of 3 years doing less w/ more knowing what we know now as in 2017 they should have a better record.

You said previously this season the Jets have exceeded expectations.

Then you give a pass on the 2016 season.

So that's 2 out of 3 seasons so far. This season is not over.

2014 the NYJ were 4 and 12.

2015 They traded for Fitz and Marshall, Signed Revis, Cro, Skrine, Gilchrist, and Carpenter. So now that team was stacked and should have been better than 10-6, after going 4-12 the prior season?

Maybe I am being a homer, or Bowles apologist but just putting it out there what these rosters have been the past 3 seasons.

This board is inundated with how important it is to get a QB and how we need to lost on purpose to get that.

The starting QBs for the Jets for Bowles tenure has been Fitz, Geno, Petty, and McCown. 

8 hours ago, Jetsbb said:

Said this yesterday. Team doesnt know how to go for the kill and close games. PUre and simple

Now is that on the coaching? Could be. But the majority of the team is young.

1 hour ago, RESNewYork said:

This is Bowles 3rd season, he's a defensive coach & we're picking defensive players in the drafts as priorities. There is a lot more money & high draft picks on the defensive side. 

2 hours ago, JetsFanatic said:

Yeah, he's had some badly timed turnovers but overall it's on the coaches. When you come out firing and putting up 21 points in the first half and then come out in the 2nd half and lose the lead and fall flat, that's on them for not making adjustments.

17 minutes ago, Jetster said:

This is Bowles 3rd season, he's a defensive coach & we're picking defensive players in the drafts as priorities. There is a lot more money & high draft picks on the defensive side. 

What does this mean?

If the Jets were a top 5 defense, but had a worst record, then that makes him a good head coach?

1 hour ago, peebag said:

This was the same team that most people thought would win 1-3 games - what do you expect?

And the Giants were a SB contender and the Pats were going undefeated . That's why you don't listen to all the so called experts in the off season.

9 minutes ago, RESNewYork said:

What does this mean?

If the Jets were a top 5 defense, but had a worst record, then that makes him a good head coach?

It means his area of specialty is DEFENSE. His defenses & his defensive calls suck while trying to hold leads! This has been going on forever, this Jet team with Bowles is horrible under pressure with leads. It became a running joke in 2015 & 2016 they every week they'd give up points before halftime.

This is the bottom line. All of those blown leads coincide with terrible play and turnovers by McCown.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

4 hours ago, FlagmanL11 said:

Bowles has no emotion and sucks with time management. Can’t stand listening to him speak.  Where is the fire?  Anyone notice that he never seems to be talking to anyone on the sielines? 

If he were a successful coach then his demenour would be great.  Ala Popovich and Belicheat.  lol

1 hour ago, RESNewYork said:

2015 They traded for Fitz and Marshall, Signed Revis, Cro, Skrine, Gilchrist, and Carpenter. So now that team was stacked and should have been better than 10-6, after going 4-12 the prior season?

Maybe I am being a homer, or Bowles apologist but just putting it out there what these rosters have been the past 3 seasons.

This board is inundated with how important it is to get a QB and how we need to lost on purpose to get that.

The starting QBs for the Jets for Bowles tenure has been Fitz, Geno, Petty, and McCown. 

For some reason he loves Rex and Sanchez. While I give them kudos for playoff success, Rex hasn’t had a winning season since 2010 and is currently out of the league after being fired by the Bills and Sanchez is the third string QB on the Bears. 

Also talk about coaching, in 2009, Rex’s defense blew the Jags game and the Falcons game at home when all they needed to do was make on stop. We were 9-7, probably 8-8 if the Colts didn’t pull their starters. I dont know how good Bowles is as a HC, the jury is still out, but I can’t say with any certainty he that Rex was better.

2 hours ago, RESNewYork said:

based on expectations coming into the season yes but since you were able to apply what we actually did in 2015 and 2016 to the argument I figured I would do the same.

teams get good and bad very quickly in this league, it's been going on for decades. The Giants sucked 2 years ago, were very good last year and they suck again this year.  we sucked in 2014, were good 2 years ago, sucked last year, showed signs of being good this year in a down year for the league. Coming into this season I had very low expectations but things change throughout the season.  The Yankees were supposed to be rebuilding this year but were a game from the World Series, in 2009 we were supposed to be rebuilding and were a game away from the Super Bowl.  Things change quickly and while I think Bowles did a nice job getting this team to compete we would be really in the race if he did a better job on gameday whether that's in game adjustments, clock management, basic decisions, etc...

Since that week 17 game in 2015 Todd Bowles has been a disaster here and I hate changing coaches but he's not good.  I don't care who the starting QBs were, he was 10-5 w/ Fitz starting needing one win against a dead team- how did that work out?  Rex Ryan made 2 title games w/ Mark Sanchez, was .500 w/ Geno Smith.  They chose to sign Fitz, they drafted Petty, they chose to sign McCown and McCown led our O to 28 pts yesterday against a mediocre team and this defensive mastermind couldn't figure out a way to stop Matt Moore.

I would love a solid starting QB for the next decade but we don't have one, the reality is this franchise has NEVER had a big time longterm starter but we still have had success.  we made 2 postseasons and a title game w/ Richard Todd, we made a title game w/ a journeyman Vinny Testaverde, we won a div title w/ Chad Pennington and made back to back title games w/ Mark Sanchez.  You can still win w/ mediocre QB play, our neighbors won 2 SBs w/ such a QB in the last decade, the dolphins made the playoffs last year w/ a Matt Moore/Ryan Tannehill combo, I can give a million examples.  We have enough talent on D to compete every week and our D is getting killed every week.  3 straight weeks we have blown double digit leads- that's bruce Coslet territory.

1 hour ago, 56mehl56 said:

And the Giants were a SB contender and the Pats were going undefeated . That's why you don't listen to all the so called experts in the off season.

it's amazing people ignore this and don't realize how fat things can change in this league.  Just being Jet fans we should know this.  we went from 1-15 one year to 9-7 the next, we went from 6-10 in 2003 to 10-6 the next year, we went from 4-12 in '07 to 9-7 in '08, 4-12 in '14 to 10-6 in '15.  Things can change quickly, preseason expectations mean nothing once they start playing games.

1 hour ago, prime21 said:

If he were a successful coach then his demenour would be great.  Ala Popovich and Belicheat.  lol

unfortunately he's not and he's like BB pre Brady and Pop pre Duncan.

57 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

For some reason he loves Rex and Sanchez. While I give them kudos for playoff success, Rex hasn’t had a winning season since 2010 and is currently out of the league after being fired by the Bills and Sanchez is the third string QB on the Bears. 

Also talk about coaching, in 2009, Rex’s defense blew the Jags game and the Falcons game at home when all they needed to do was make on stop. We were 9-7, probably 8-8 if the Colts didn’t pull their starters. I dont know how good Bowles is as a HC, the jury is still out, but I can’t say with any certainty he that Rex was better.

for some crazy reason I am a fan of the HC & QB who helped get my team closer to a SB than any since we actually made it in the '68 season. 

You are right, rex hasn't had a winning season since 2010 but he's only had 2 real losing seasons in that span, in just 3 years on the job Bowles will equal that. is that good?

Rex's D's did blow some games late, that does happen from time to time but 3 double digit leads in 3 straight weeks?  don't remember Rex's D's ever doing that.  Every D will blow some games and they had some issues w/ him but nothing like what we have seen and the highs under Rex were MUCH, MUCH higher than under Bowles.

maybe we don't beat Indy if they don't pull their starters in a close game midway through the 3rd? Imagine if the Chargers didn't pull their starters in the div rd in a similar spot- oh wait they played that game out and we WON but had that been week 17 and they pulled starters people would have said we had no chance.  what you should focus on is the "what if" about week 17 of 2015 when Bowles was badly outcoached by a depleted, dead Bills team w/ a chance to make the playoffs. If you don't know if Rex was better than Bowles I don't know how I can help you.  In rex's 8 year career his teams overachieved 6 of them, in Bowles' brief 2+ year career he has yet to get a team to overachieve.

Archived