The Jets have blown 3 big leads to the Jaguars, Patriots, and Dolphins. Its on coaching!!

Jetsbb

4 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

TBF, and I agree with your general point, a 14 point lead against New England is nothing. Atlanta taught us that

against Brady 14 pts is nothing, no lead is safe against him so we can forgive him for that especially w/ the blown calls.  The jax blown lead was more fluky w/ that fumble return but when it happens 3 in 4 weeks regardless of the circumstances that's not a good thing.  that is now in the heads of the team and will likely be an issue going forward.  One of the few good qualities Bowles has as a HC is his calm demeanor, that should translate to a team that doesn't panic but it hasn't this year and that is troubling.

3 hours ago, Rangers9 said:

The coaching college (not just Bowles) seems to say that when you have a 4th quarter lead (2 Tds) you then trade yardage for minutes. In other words if your defense has held them successfully you go into a protection mode and try to survive to win the game. Probably on a statistical basis it works but we've seen that it doesn't. I'm not sure that yesterday's game was a full scale prevent but the secondary was giving them a lot more cushion. You also have to give them some credit too, their Wrs outplayed our Dbs. I don't think Bowles is going to change on that point. He's going to revert to his training as a coach. And I'm not sure there are too many others around (he's been a D coach for 20 years) who wouldn't do the same thing. But it kills momentum and allows a team to get back in a game after they were outplayed. I hate it. 

A few points here:

1. yes, a lot of coaches take this approach, but how many of the coaches with years and years of winning take it? we routinely see teams getting beat by 30 points. Just this week LA, JAX, and DAL beat their opponents by 27 - 33 points. when you have a team on the ropes, you finish them off; 3 weeks in a row we didn't do that

2. we don't only go into prevent D, we go into prevent O. I said it at the end of the 3rd quarter; Bowles was playing for the FG; on a broken play (3 and long) we got lucky with the TD, but the truth is the play calling was - crap, let's get some points. And that was at a 7 point lead.

3. the game has changed; 20 years ago, as much as fans hated it, you could say this was a good tactic, but in today's game of protection of the WRs (holding and PI) and of the QBs (roughing), it is way too easy for a team to score. Throw a hail mary, get the PI and you are down the field in scoring position. Can't get into the endzone, no worries, a few holding calls will fix that.

Bowles said he is playing McCown as he is the best chance to win; and winning is important for the young guys to learn. From Robbie Anderson's reaction, what the young kids are learning is that we play scared and not to loose, then when we are f'd, we put our QB in a position to kill any chance of victory. Yes, we have tremendous holes at QB, OL, CB, etc. but sitting on leads in the 3rd quarter is unacceptable. 17 unanswered points is terrible against the Pats, giving that kind of ground to Miami or Jax is ridiculous. 

2 hours ago, bostonmajet said:

A few points here:

1. yes, a lot of coaches take this approach, but how many of the coaches with years and years of winning take it? we routinely see teams getting beat by 30 points. Just this week LA, JAX, and DAL beat their opponents by 27 - 33 points. when you have a team on the ropes, you finish them off; 3 weeks in a row we didn't do that

2. we don't only go into prevent D, we go into prevent O. I said it at the end of the 3rd quarter; Bowles was playing for the FG; on a broken play (3 and long) we got lucky with the TD, but the truth is the play calling was - crap, let's get some points. And that was at a 7 point lead.

3. the game has changed; 20 years ago, as much as fans hated it, you could say this was a good tactic, but in today's game of protection of the WRs (holding and PI) and of the QBs (roughing), it is way too easy for a team to score. Throw a hail mary, get the PI and you are down the field in scoring position. Can't get into the endzone, no worries, a few holding calls will fix that.

Bowles said he is playing McCown as he is the best chance to win; and winning is important for the young guys to learn. From Robbie Anderson's reaction, what the young kids are learning is that we play scared and not to loose, then when we are f'd, we put our QB in a position to kill any chance of victory. Yes, we have tremendous holes at QB, OL, CB, etc. but sitting on leads in the 3rd quarter is unacceptable. 17 unanswered points is terrible against the Pats, giving that kind of ground to Miami or Jax is ridiculous. 

Great points & the fans making a point that the Fins came back down 0-17 to the Falcons as some type of barameter to how good the Fins are got that thrown back in their faces last night when that soft azz Falcon team went up to Gillette & didn't even compete. Falcons may wipe the floor with us but that doesn't ease the sting of blowing 14 point 4th quarter leads to Matt Moore.

Archived