The cigar store Indian has got to go!

Jetster

As a long time Jet fan I know that constant coaching changes are not good for long term success but this Todd Bowles NEVER makes the right decision. This is a coach that usually sits on the ball with under a minute before HALFTIME. So yesterday he decides after with 47 seconds & backed up to let his journeyman QB throw the ball, lol. Plus he threw it outside where defenders are protecting.

You have 3 time outs, the middle of the field is the play if your going to throw, or depending on the defense you can try a draw play & see what happens but you need McGuire in there because of his speed compared to Forte. Bowles has ZERO feel for momentum etc. Miami was flying high & feeling good about themselves. Stemming that momentum was the main goal at that point. 

How many times is Bowles going to let Skrine personally lose football games? Skrine is either on or off, mostly off & his career has shown when he's having a bad day, it's like a snowball rolling down a hill & getting bigger. I keep waiting to see Bowles mature as a head coach and but I see none of it. Defensive head coaches who have tilted their drafts so strongly to the defensive side of the ball who can't coach that same defense to hold late 2 touchdown leads to be fired. I watched that game yesterday, and I was thinking how average this team is but it reminded me of when Joe Gibbs coached the scab team in the past. Bowles played under Joe Gibbs but OMG he's absolutely 10% of the legendary coach he played for. Bowles is just not smart enough to be a head coach, he has no feel for it, and about 90% of the time makes the wrong decision under pressure. We need a new Sherriff in town, I thought maybe Sean Payton but the Saints are going to have a good year. If we draft a franchise QB it won't mean a thing if our defensive head coach can't put together a decent defense.

• Replies 342
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Matt39 said:

They wont. But Bowles' idea of building a roster is terrible. He absolutely needs to be fired. 

I understand your position on this, I just don't subscribe to it.  Bowles is the head coach, sure, he has some kind of vision of what he wants, but the team is built by the GM.  These are their job responsibilities.  Saying Bowles is building the roster is making a lot of assumptions that we don't actually have a ton of real evidence to support.

Fire Bowles?  Sure.  He's not doing a good job.  My objection is 1) you have to fire them both, because Macc hasn't warranted another 3-4 years, and if you let him hire a coach, you have to give him that and 2) Bowles is a significantly lower proportion of the problem than most here like to make him out to be.

3 minutes ago, gEYno said:

These are their job responsibilities.  Saying Bowles is building the roster is making a lot of assumptions that we don't actually have a ton of real evidence to support.

How do you know this? I am asking because I see it the same way Matt does.

Here is what we know:

Woody fired both Rex and Idzik because he said Rex was in the room for every personnel decision.

Woody said when he fired them, he needs the GM and the HC to be on the same page, and those two weren't.

Woody hired both Bowles and Mac at the exact same time, and neither reports to one another.

If you look at the draft picks, and you look at the system Bowles wants to run, logically, who you think has more of an interest in making the selections we have made?

There have been several quotes and inside leaks about guys Bowles didn't like, or guys he did like, such as Paxton Lynch. Which probably turns out to be correct, but not the point, the point is that this roster has Bowles name writen all over it.

Listen to the quotes about Lee, about the safeties, etc. Its really hard for me to not come to this conclusion. But I would really like to direct my hate in the correct direction, so please give me anything you have.

4 minutes ago, NoBowles said:

Here is what we know:

Woody fired both Rex and Idzik because he said Rex was in the room for every personnel decision.

Woody said when he fired them, he needs the GM and the HC to be on the same page, and those two weren't.

Woody hired both Bowles and Mac at the exact same time, and neither reports to one another.

If you look at the draft picks, and you look at the system Bowles wants to run, logically, who you think has more of an interest in making the selections we have made?

There have been several quotes and inside leaks about guys Bowles didn't like, or guys he did like, such as Paxton Lynch. Which probably turns out to be correct, but not the point, the point is that this roster has Bowles name writen all over it.

Listen to the quotes about Lee, about the safeties, etc. Its really hard for me to not come to this conclusion. But I would really like to direct my hate in the correct direction, so please give me anything you have.

I'm curious about these several quotes and leaks about how Bowles was responsible for these decisions. I've never read one but would like to read them. I feel like you read those opinions from fans on here and took it as fact

2 minutes ago, RESNewYork said:

I'm curious about these several quotes and leaks about how Bowles was responsible for these decisions. I've never read one but would like to read them. I feel like you read those quotes from fans on here. 

Of course I have, but for example, the whole Paxton Lynch thing was reported by Schefter on Sirius and reported by posters here. There were numerous quotes from Bowles about Darron Lee and Adams and how much they will help our team.

I don't believe Bowles is making these decisions in a vacuum, but I do believe Woody has subscribed to the Parcels, let the chef pick the groceries. Which I actually mostly believe in too. I just think you need a good chef.

11 minutes ago, NoBowles said:

Of course I have, but for example, the whole Paxton Lynch thing was reported by Schefter on Sirius and reported by posters here. There were numerous quotes from Bowles about Darron Lee and Adams and how much they will help our team.

I don't believe Bowles is making these decisions in a vacuum, but I do believe Woody has subscribed to the Parcels, let the chef pick the groceries. Which I actually mostly believe in too. I just think you need a good chef.

Pretty much. Maccagnan's basically been in witness protection since he's been hired. The power structure as been vague at best- and with the way the drafts have gone- basically trying to mirror Arizona's defense...this is Bowles' team. 

22 minutes ago, NoBowles said:

Here is what we know:

I curious as to how Woody's insistence that Bowles and Maccagnan be on the same page for personnel decisions is supposed to make dumping Bowles, and Bowles alone, cure a thing.

Just now, #27TheDominator said:

I curious as to how Woody's insistence that Bowles and Maccagnan be on the same page for personnel decisions is supposed to make dumping Bowles, and Bowles alone, cure a thing.

I think we could all agree that they're a packaged deal. It just feels like Bowles is steering the ship here. 

1 minute ago, Matt39 said:

Pretty much. Maccagnan's basically been in witness protection since he's been hired. The power structure as been vague at best- and with the way the drafts have gone- basically trying to mirror Arizona's defense...this is Bowles' team. 

Its painfully obvious to anyone who is paying any attention whatsoever, that this is Bowles team for better or worse. Killing Mac is fine with me, he is probably a dolt, but anyone who wants to ignore  the facts are ignoring the real problem, it all starts at the top.

2 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

In no way am I saying that dumping Bowles alone cures anything. What I have always said is the real problem is Woody. We need a real football guy in charge, one neck to choke. I don't care if its a  head of football operations, a high level GM, a Harbough type coach, but we need one guy who can run everything. Doesn't mean they do everything, but they need to be the one who sets the strategy, and is the one neck to choke. 

13 minutes ago, NoBowles said:

Here is what we know:

Apologize for the tl;dr, but it's a well thought out question so it merits a thought out response.

I don't KNOW it.  I don't know anything about the inner workings of the Jets organization.  The issue I have, and kind of my whole point here and in other threads, is that none of us have any legitimate reason to believe that it's actually Bowles calling the shots.  People are guessing.  So, instead of doing that, I default to the typical structure until proven otherwise.  Do I believe that Macc is likely targeting the "type" of player that Bowles wants?  Sure, that's fair.  But, Macc is still responsible for getting good players.  Thus far, he really hasn't.  The overall outlook of the franchise would be much better if we merely had a bad philosophy, but good players.

Darron Lee is a good example.  While he's strung together a few decent games, overall, his play has been poor.  I don't personally agree with the decision to draft an undersized ILB that early.  Let's say you're right, blame it on Bowles.  But, it's not Bowles's job to scout too (unless we're really going to stretch this).  Macc is responsible for taking the wrong ILB, or not saying this guy isn't worth our 1st round pick.  So, even if we blame Bowles for a bad philosophy I think we still need to blame Macc for poor execution of that philosophy.  Interestingly, people today are pretty happy with the performance of our two safeties.  I personally think it's a philosophically bad decision, one that unless they prove to be the top tandem in the NFL, was absolutely not a smart way to build a team.  In this case though, you don't hear people praising Bowles for it, as they're happy with the players.  Macc receives the credit.  Why is that, when, if we are to blame Bowles for the failures, does he not get credit for the successes in the draft room?  

Philosophy aside, look at Macc's 1st two drafts - how many of those players are on the roster/contributing, and it's only year 3?

I guess what I'm saying is that blaming things on Bowles that typically fall in the GM's domain, especially with a 1st time coach who doesn't have the clout to demand running an organization by himself, that there's not strong enough reason to read between the lines the way that some are doing.

Yes, as you point out they were hired at the same time, and given equal footing.  But everyone wants to suggest that Bowles is making personnel decisions, but no one wants to suggest that Macc is making play calling/strategy decisions.  Why is that?  Why can we break the typical structure in one direction, but not in the other.  I think, without evidence to the contrary, we still need to assume each is doing their job description.  I also think there is a difference between "being on the same page" and the GM just deferring to the HC for all of his job responsibilities.  Again, are they on the same page enough that Macc can in a play as he sees fit, as it was rumored Al Davis used to do?

So, that's what I kind of "know," or better yet, don't know.  For what I believe.  I think coaching is important, but I think coaches coach and players play.  I don't think any coach would succeed with this roster.  I think we'd be right about where we are, regardless of who we had.  I think that just blaming the coach is lazy thinking that we as Jets fans have exercised consistently since Al Groh until today.  And, not just with HCs, but also coordinators.  And, it's literally never paid off, not once.  I think that it's easy to blame the coach, because it helps us to imagine that we can just be rid of him, and the team will get much better.  It's harder to blame the whole thing, because there's no magic solution at the end of that rainbow that makes the team suddenly better.

27 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

I think we could all agree that they're a packaged deal. It just feels like Bowles is steering the ship here. 

Could we though?  It really doesn't seem like it.

I place most of the blame on Macc, but I'd think you have to get rid of both of them.  The prevailing opinion seems to be, fire Bowles, let Macc pick his own coach.

6 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

Assigning blame is an interesting intellectual exercise, but nothing more than that. Both Maccagnan and Bowles look completely out of their depth. Neither should have a job come New Year’s Day.

You and I both know there's like a 95% chance at least one is staying past this year if the quotes from Tweedledum give any indication. 

1 minute ago, gEYno said:

Could we though?  It really doesn't seem like it.

I place most of the blame on Bowles, but I'd think you have to get rid of both of them.  The prevailing opinion seems to be, fire Bowles, let Macc pick his own coach.

Not me. Macc is buying the groceries and he is shopping at the bargain basement. Both must be let go. Does anyone really trust Macc with all that cap space and what looks to be a top 5 or 6 pick? I sure as hell don't. Bowles will most likely be the scapegoat(deservedly so) and he will most likely be fired. Macc will be allowed to pick "his guy" and then we will see. The best thing to do is to pray that Michigan keeps losing and Harbaugh is fired as they seem to be souring on the guy in a complete turnaround from the start of the season. Not being able to beat Michigan State and Ohio State seems to be the prevailing reason. So while I want both gone Macc will probably stay and Bowles will be gone.

8 minutes ago, gEYno said:

Apologize for the tl;dr, but it's a well thought out question so it merits a thought out response.

I don't KNOW it.  I don't know anything about the inner workings of the Jets organization.  The issue I have, and kind of my whole point here and in other threads, is that none of us have any legitimate reason to believe that it's actually Bowles calling the shots.  People are guessing.  So, instead of doing that, I default to the typical structure until proven otherwise.  Do I believe that Macc is likely targeting the "type" of player that Bowles wants?  Sure, that's fair.  But, Macc is still responsible for getting good players.  Thus far, he really hasn't.  The overall outlook of the franchise would be much better if we merely had a bad philosophy, but good players.

Darron Lee is a good example.  While he's strung together a few decent games, overall, his play has been poor.  I don't personally agree with the decision to draft an undersized ILB that early.  Let's say you're right, blame it on Bowles.  But, it's not Bowles's job to scout too (unless we're really going to stretch this).  Macc is responsible for taking the wrong ILB, or not saying this guy isn't worth our 1st round pick.  So, even if we blame Bowles for a bad philosophy I think we still need to blame Macc for poor execution of that philosophy.  Interestingly, people today are pretty happy with the performance of our two safeties.  I personally think it's a philosophically bad decision, one that unless they prove to be the top tandem in the NFL, was absolutely not a smart way to build a team.  In this case though, you don't hear people praising Bowles for it, as they're happy with the players.  Macc receives the credit.  Why is that, when, if we are to blame Bowles for the failures, does he not get credit for the successes in the draft room?  

Philosophy aside, look at Macc's 1st two drafts - how many of those players are on the roster/contributing, and it's only year 3?

I guess what I'm saying is that blaming things on Bowles that typically fall in the GM's domain, especially with a 1st time coach who doesn't have the clout to demand running an organization by himself, that there's not strong enough reason to read between the lines the way that some are doing.

Yes, as you point out they were hired at the same time, and given equal footing.  But everyone wants to suggest that Bowles is making personnel decisions, but no one wants to suggest that Macc is making play calling/strategy decisions.  Why is that?  Why can we break the typical structure in one direction, but not in the other.  I think, without evidence to the contrary, we still need to assume each is doing their job description.  I also think there is a difference between "being on the same page" and the GM just deferring to the HC for all of his job responsibilities.  Again, are they on the same page enough that Macc can in a play as he sees fit, as it was rumored Al Davis used to do?

So, that's what I kind of "know," or better yet, don't know.  For what I believe.  I think coaching is important, but I think coaches coach and players play.  I don't think any coach would succeed with this roster.  I think we'd be right about where we are, regardless of who we had.  I think that just blaming the coach is lazy thinking that we as Jets fans have exercised consistently since Al Groh until today.  And, not just with HCs, but also coordinators.  And, it's literally never paid off, not once.  I think that it's easy to blame the coach, because it helps us to imagine that we can just be rid of him, and the team will get much better.  It's harder to blame the whole thing, because there's no magic solution at the end of that rainbow that makes the team suddenly better.

Im never one to get upset about long posts that are well thought out and reasoned.

I'm not blaming Bowles for anything really, I'm just pointing out that the majority of the personnel moves seem to be geared towards creating the defense Bowles wants to run. I actually like a HC making personnel decisions, and picking the groceries, I think it makes a lot of sense. I don't think they can do it themselves, and need scouts, but I do like it.

But, I do ask that the coach wins with the groceries they pick.

I understand what your saying about the structure, but I just go back to the history of Woody, and everything I have read and heard to come to my conclusions.

Woody bought the team when Parcels was here, and Parcels was the biggest proponent ever of the HC picking the groceries. I think Woody split from that with Broadway and Herm a little bit, although I do think that Herm had a major say in personnel decisions too.

The whole idea with Mangini and Tannenbaum was to setup a Belicheck/Pioli structure, its why you hire a cap guy as your "GM". I thought that was universally understood and accepted.

When Mangini was fired for being too boring, they brought in Rex and essentially asked him to step into the Belicheck/Mangini role, but after a few years, Woody wanted to try something different with Idzik.

He then went back to it again with Bowles and Maccangnin IMO.

For all of this, I believe the reason Woody does what he does is, he likes to meddle, and then he can avoid the blame, and point the blame at others who he knows won't rat him out because they want future NFL owners to hire them.

Do I know all of this, no, I don't, but I strongly believe it based on following this team very closely.

14 minutes ago, gEYno said:

The prevailing opinion seems to be, fire Bowles, let Macc pick his own coach.

I have not seen too much of this, and I personally think that would be a stupid move. I would like to see both fired, and pick a true football guy, either a Head of football ops, a powerful GM, or a powerful coach, and let them run the show and make the decisions. And live or die with that one person. I have seen nothing from Mac to make me believe he can be that type of guy. I have seen far less from Bowles that makes me think he can be that guy.

If you want to fire Mac and hire that type of guy, fine, and even let them pick Bowles fate if you don't hire a HC for that role.

44 minutes ago, NoBowles said:

Listen to the quotes about Lee,

If you watch the replay of the 2016 draft when the Jets pick Lee Bowles is heard saying to Lee on the phone as the camera was in the war room mic'd up "I told you we would be talking again, and we would get you in here" that kinda supports the Bowles has a lot of say into the high draft picks, and probably high priority FA's.

2 minutes ago, NoBowles said:

Im never one to get upset about long posts that are well thought out and reasoned.

I'm not blaming Bowles for anything really, I'm just pointing out that the majority of the personnel moves seem to be geared towards creating the defense Bowles wants to run. I actually like a HC making personnel decisions, and picking the groceries, I think it makes a lot of sense. I don't think they can do it themselves, and need scouts, but I do like it.

But, I do ask that the coach wins with the groceries they pick.

I understand what your saying about the structure, but I just go back to the history of Woody, and everything I have read and heard to come to my conclusions.

Woody bought the team when Parcels was here, and Parcels was the biggest proponent ever of the HC picking the groceries. I think Woody split from that with Broadway and Herm a little bit, although I do think that Herm had a major say in personnel decisions too.

The whole idea with Mangini and Tannenbaum was to setup a Belicheck/Pioli structure, its why you hire a cap guy as your "GM". I thought that was universally understood and accepted.

When Mangini was fired for being too boring, they brought in Rex and essentially asked him to step into the Belicheck/Mangini role, but after a few years, Woody wanted to try something different with Idzik.

He then went back to it again with Bowles and Maccangnin IMO.

For all of this, I believe the reason Woody does what he does is, he likes to meddle, and then he can avoid the blame, and point the blame at others who he knows won't rat him out because they want future NFL owners to hire them.

Do I know all of this, no, I don't, but I strongly believe it based on following this team very closely.

Maccagnan's been a ghost for a while now. I cant remember the last time he actually said anything of relevance. I dont know if it' self preservation or whatever, but it's really difficult to see this any other way. I absolutely believe the rumblings that Bowles' refuses to go with a rookie/young QB.

Just now, Matt39 said:

Maccagnan's been a ghost for a while now. I cant remember the last time he actually said anything of relevance. I dont know if it' self preservation or whatever, but it's really difficult to see this any other way. I absolutely believe the rumblings that Bowles' refuses to go with a rookie/young QB.

Absolutely agree.

In fact, he went so far as to say in a press conference that we would never draft a guy who wouldn't start year 1. I have never heard Maccangna say that, and that would be a very bad policy for a GM. Pretty hard to pick a QB if that is your policy, in round 1.

2 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

If you watch the replay of the 2016 draft when the Jets pick Lee Bowles is heard saying to Lee on the phone as the camera was in the war room mic'd up "I told you we would be talking again, and we would get you in here" that kinda supports the Bowles has a lot of say into the high draft picks, and probably high priority FA's.

Yup, thats absolutely right. This is Bowles team, and that in no way gives Mac a pass on anything.

11 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

They're both going to be here. 

Woody has always taken his cues from the media, and I’m assuming his brother will be no different. The schedule is about to get a lot tougher, with the real possibility of us turning a 3-2 start into a 4-12 finish. In that case, I think the narrative becomes some combination of young players aren’t showing improvement/the playcalling sucks/the team looks like they quit/Maccagnan needs a chance to pick his own coach. Throw in the game management blunders and the total lack of personality and the stories write themselves.

8 minutes ago, NoBowles said:

I guess the issue I have is that there's nothing stating Bowles's defensive philosophy can't be successful.  I think it still comes down to specific choices.  Bowles says, "I need my Deon Bucannon".  Macc needs to say, "No problem, but Darron Lee isn't that guy and we're not going for him in round one, but we'll try to find someone who fits that archetype."

Same with Rex/Idzik.  Nothing wrong with Rex wanting a top corner, but it's Idzik and his scouts who need to be responsible for saying, "Dee Milliner is not the guy."

6 minutes ago, NoBowles said:

I have not seen too much of this, and I personally think that would be a stupid move. I would like to see both fired, and pick a true football guy, either a Head of football ops, a powerful GM, or a powerful coach, and let them run the show and make the decisions. And live or die with that one person. I have seen nothing from Mac to make me believe he can be that type of guy. I have seen far less from Bowles that makes me think he can be that guy.

If you want to fire Mac and hire that type of guy, fine, and even let them pick Bowles fate if you don't hire a HC for that role.

Agreed.

2 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

Woody has always taken his cues from the media, and I’m assuming his brother will be no different. The schedule is about to get a lot tougher, with the real possibility of us turning a 3-2 start into a 4-12 finish. In that case, I think the narrative becomes some combination of young players aren’t showing improvement/the playcalling sucks/the team looks like they quit/Maccagnan needs a chance to pick his own coach. Throw in the game management blunders and the total lack of personality and the stories write themselves.

If Watson continues to play at the level he is playing, regardless of whose choice it was, Bowles or Maccagnan to not draft him and take Adams, it will be the death nail for Maccangan. The media will kill him for it the entire season

1 hour ago, gEYno said:

I understand your position on this, I just don't subscribe to it.  Bowles is the head coach, sure, he has some kind of vision of what he wants, but the team is built by the GM.  These are their job responsibilities.  Saying Bowles is building the roster is making a lot of assumptions that we don't actually have a ton of real evidence to support.

Fire Bowles?  Sure.  He's not doing a good job.  My objection is 1) you have to fire them both, because Macc hasn't warranted another 3-4 years, and if you let him hire a coach, you have to give him that and 2) Bowles is a significantly lower proportion of the problem than most here like to make him out to be.

Darron Lee and double down safeties, players that "fit the system" scream Todd Bowles.  

2 minutes ago, NoBowles said:

If Watson continues to play at the level he is playing, regardless of whose choice it was, Bowles or Maccagnan to not draft him and take Adams, it will be the death nail for Maccangan. The media will kill him for it the entire season

Thats dumb. And stupid. And totally in the range of this dumb fanbase.

Archived