Short Term Pain, Long Term Gain

KRL

With the team committing to a rebuild, the "sting" of losses has been removed.
If yesterday's collapse happened in previous years I would be fuming.  But this
team needs a long term answer at QB and every loss (even though I don't root
for them) improves our draft position.  Lost in the wreckage of the MIA game
is some very encouraging performances but first let's deal with the "elephants
in the room":    

- Josh McCown's warts are beginning to show.  Over the last two games (NE & MIA)
he has gotten off to hot starts and then allowed the offense to "brown out".
Also in the last three games (CLE, NE & MIA) he's thrown awful INT's on out routes
to the sideline.  For a 38 year old QB his decision making in terms of who he targets
is failing and predictable.  Even the announcers (who were beyond bad) knew that on
3rd down McCown always looks for Jeremy Kerley.  Why are Austin Seferian-Jenkins,
Jermaine Kearse, Matt Forte and Bilal Powell being forgotten?  Also, why did McCown
stop attacking Tankersley?  Early on everyone he was covering scorched him, MIA won
the game by attacking one player why didn't he follow suit.  To me the clock on
replacing McCown has started to tick.  We have two games next week (ATL & BUF) I
wouldn't be against moving onto Bryce Petty after that. 

- Buster Skrine was beyond awful.  Even the one pass he actually got his hands on 
(the Stills juggling catch) he couldn't knock away for an incompletion.  MIA comeback
was basically Moore throwing to anyone Skrine was covering and waiting for a big gain
or penalty.  Todd Bowles needs to show veterans less respect and bench them when they
are awful. 

- Impressive effort by the defense in stopping the run.  After shutting Ajayi down the
first time in NY you knew MIA would try to establish him and they couldn't.  

- Darron Lee had his best game as a pro as he's starting to "anticipate" instead of
"guess" on plays.  He used his speed to shoot gaps on running plays, make open field
tackles for minimal gains and come off the edge on blitzes.  Also he was a key part
in clogging up MIA running game.  He now needs to do this consistently and clean up
his penalties (roughing the passer & facemask).

- Jordan Jenkins was excellent in setting the edge in the running game and applying
pressure to the QB (knocking Cutler out of the game).

- Marcus Maye and Jamal Adams both had excellent games.  Maye with another INT and good
coverage as he plays centerfield.  Adams with well timed blitzes, creating a turnover
and TFL's in the run game. 

- Eric Tomlinson needs to be recognized as the anti-Matthew Mulligan.  He's under the
radar but Tomlinson is excellent in run blocking and whenever he's thrown the ball he
makes big gains.  And he doesn't commit killer penalties totally opposite of Mulligan.

- Good to see Muhammad Wilkerson finally show up this year.  But one good game doesn't
mean his contract will be picked up next March.  

- No complaints from me on Bowles going for the win with 47 seconds left and three time
outs.  McCown needs to make a better decision, how about a checkdown to the middle of
the field and an immediate timeout? 

- OLine must clean up their technique because they are killing the offensive flow with
pre-snap penalties, holds and a costly personal foul.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
USATSI_10362950_158813650_lowres.jpg

USATSI_10362950_158813650_lowres-300x200With the team committing to a rebuild, the “sting” of losses has been removed. If yesterday’s collapse happened in previous years I would be fuming.  But this
team needs a long term answer at QB and every loss (even though I don’t root for them) improves our draft position.  Lost in the wreckage of the MIA game
is some very encouraging performances but first let’s deal with the “elephants in the room”:

– Josh McCown’s warts are beginning to show.  Over the last two games (NE & MIA) he has gotten off to hot starts and then allowed the offense to “brown out”.
Also in the last three games (CLE, NE & MIA) he’s thrown awful INT’s on out routes to the sideline.  For a 38 year old QB his decision making in terms of who he targets is failing and predictable.  Even the announcers (who were beyond bad) knew that on 3rd down McCown always looks for Jeremy Kerley.  Why are Austin Seferian-Jenkins, Jermaine Kearse, Matt Forte and Bilal Powell being forgotten?  Also, why did McCown stop attacking Tankersley?  Early on everyone he was covering scorched him, MIA won the game by attacking one player why didn’t he follow suit.  To me the clock on replacing McCown has started to tick.  We have two games next week (ATL & BUF) I wouldn’t be against moving onto Bryce Petty after that.

– Buster Skrine was beyond awful.  Even the one pass he actually got his hands on (the Stills juggling catch) he couldn’t knock away for an incompletion.  MIA comeback was basically Moore throwing to anyone Skrine was covering and waiting for a big gain or penalty.  Todd Bowles needs to show veterans less respect and bench them when they are awful.

– Impressive effort by the defense in stopping the run.  After shutting Ajayi down the first time in NY you knew MIA would try to establish him and they couldn’t.

– Darron Lee had his best game as a pro as he’s starting to “anticipate” instead of “guess” on plays.  He used his speed to shoot gaps on running plays, make open field tackles for minimal gains and come off the edge on blitzes.  Also he was a key part in clogging up MIA running game.  He now needs to do this consistently and clean up his penalties (roughing the passer & facemask).

– Jordan Jenkins was excellent in setting the edge in the running game and applying pressure to the QB (knocking Cutler out of the game).

– Marcus Maye and Jamal Adams both had excellent games.  Maye with another INT and good coverage as he plays centerfield.  Adams with well timed blitzes, creating a turnover and TFL’s in the run game.

– Eric Tomlinson needs to be recognized as the anti-Matthew Mulligan.  He’s under the radar but Tomlinson is excellent in run blocking and whenever he’s thrown the ball he makes big gains.  And he doesn’t commit killer penalties totally opposite of Mulligan.

– Good to see Muhammad Wilkerson finally show up this year.  But one good game doesn’t mean his contract will be picked up next March.

– No complaints from me on Bowles going for the win with 47 seconds left and three time outs.  McCown needs to make a better decision, how about a check down to the middle of the field and an immediate timeout?

– OLine must clean up their technique because they are killing the offensive flow with pre-snap penalties, holds and a costly personal foul.

Tell us what you think about the game in our NY Jets forum.

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
3JPVstO5xG0

Click here to read the full story...

It's petty time give him few games if he stinks then play hack if he's bad also then get rid of both of them & find a qb. McCown playing, serves no purpose, did u see robbie Anderson flip helmet in frustration being open downfield & McCown not throwing to him? McCown can't stretch field, did u see passes he was throwing follie floaters! He's lucky he didn't throw more interceptions

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

I want to see weekly improvements in all aspects the game and we are losing to bad football teams and losing ugly, fundamental football and bad mistakes by coaching staff and players. 

The Jets are also an undisciplined football team with all the penalties and yesterdays Robbie Anderson's antics, I've seen enough of this time for major changes on and off the field.. 

Losses like the Jets have had over the last two weeks continues to highlight the deficiencies of the team, which are the lack of talent on the field and the way the team is coached, and will hopefully continue to churn a groundswell of negativity against the GM and coach, even if it was supposed to be a "rebuilding" year.  Hopefully, as these agonizing losses mount, it will force even the dumbest of owners to make whole sale changes to the front office and coaching staff.

When is this fanbase going to understand the Jets are not rebuilding?   This team plays 4 young players.  4.  And none of them play a premium position.  This isn't a rebuild.  There is nothing to build on other than safeties who look ok but yet, the defense is still absolutely terrible despite all the resources dumped into it.  If this was an actual rebuild, than what they'd be building on is Leo/Lee/Adams and that would suck because WTF? 

2 minutes ago, JiF said:

When is this fanbase going to understand the Jets are not rebuilding?   This team plays 4 young players.  4.  And none of them play a premium position.  This isn't a rebuild.  There is nothing to build on other than safeties who look ok but yet, the defense is still absolutely terrible despite all the resources dumped into it.  If this was an actual rebuild, than what they'd be building on is Leo/Lee/Adams and that would suck because WTF? 

RIch Cimini called it a "young team" So it's not the fanbase saying this. The media is saying this. The only really old players of note on the Jets are McCown and Forte. That's it.

7 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

RIch Cimini called it a "young team" So it's not the fanbase saying this. The media is saying this. The only really old players of note on the Jets are McCown and Forte. That's it.

Whofans, thank you for clarifying this.

23 minutes ago, JiF said:

No, it's not a Cleveland Browns rebuild but it's definitely a rebuild of turning over to younger players at some positions and most of all establishing a different culture more so then anything. Trying to turn over this loser mentality and guys giving up when things get a little rough. So far I think they've done that. 

Sorry, I would rather we had lost 66-0 instead of being up 28-14 and in total control with 11 minutes to go in the game and doing a Bowltite snatching defeat from the jaws of victory. Tell yourselves whatever you want, last week and this weeks games were there to win and we screwed the pooch. Yesterday ripped my guts out and I am contemplating just ignoring the rest of this season, and this franchise until they clean the FO out because my intestines cannot take that anymore. 

24 minutes ago, MDL_JET said:

No, it's not a Cleveland Browns rebuild but it's definitely a rebuild of turning over to younger players at some positions and most of all establishing a different culture more so then anything. Trying to turn over this loser mentality and guys giving up when things get a little rough. So far I think they've done that. 

All cynicism aside, I do believe they've achieved the bold.  However, I do not believe they're turning the roster over to younger players at all on the offensive side of the ball.  On D, they've turned the roster over to the young players...Adams/Maye/Lee/Jenkins...but unfortunately, the LB'ers are mediocre at best and while the safeties look like they belong, the unit as a whole is awful.

Just now, JiF said:

All cynicism aside, I do believe they've achieved the bold.  However, I do not believe they're turning the roster over to younger players at all on the offensive side of the ball.  On D, they've turned the roster over to the young players...Adams/Maye/Lee/Jenkins...but unfortunately, the LB'ers are mediocre at best and while the safeties look like they belong, the unit as a whole is awful.

I disagree with that because of what I said previously. How many players on the offensive side of the ball are over 30?

3 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

I disagree with that because of what I said previously. How many players on the offensive side of the ball are over 30?

Starting Josh McCown, playing Forte 60% of the snaps, barely giving the ball to Powell and McGuire, throwing to Kearse/Kerley/ASJ and having a veteran led OL, is not my definition of turning the roster over to young players but I digress because your point, is rock solid.  There are only 2 players over 30 which is so good when you think about it.

2 minutes ago, JiF said:

Starting Josh McCown, playing Forte 60% of the snaps, barely giving the ball to Powell and McGuire, throwing to Kearse/Kerley/ASJ and having a veteran led OL, is not my definition of turning the roster over to young players but I digress because your point, is rock solid.  There are only 2 players over 30 which is so good when you think about it.

A veteran led OL? The only veteran on that OL is Beachum

2 minutes ago, JiF said:

They're not, you're right but I think the majority of that is to establish what they've done so far. Move the ball, score points, and keep them competitive while sprinkling in the younger guys here and there as time goes on. Like I said it's a competitive rebuild, not just dumping all vets and saying here you rooks, turn this thing around and win us games. 

I'd like to assume next year, Forte and McCown won't be here, who knows with Kerley, so that'll open up doors to hopefully to the 2nd-3rd yr guys to step up or whoever they draft/sign in FA. Can't do it all in one season.

3 minutes ago, MDL_JET said:

They're not, you're right but I think the majority of that is to establish what they've done so far. Move the ball, score points, and keep them competitive while sprinkling in the younger guys here and there as time goes on. Like I said it's a competitive rebuild, not just dumping all vets and saying here you rooks, turn this thing around and win us games. 

I'd like to assume next year, Forte and McCown won't be here, who knows with Kerley, so that'll open up doors to hopefully to the 2nd-3rd yr guys to step up or whoever they draft/sign in FA. Can't do it all in one season.

I wouldnt be shocked if Forte is dealt at the deadline

5 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

A veteran led OL? The only veteran on that OL is Beachum

You are correct, James Carpenter, Brian Winters, Brent Qvale and Wesley Johnson are all brand new to the NFL.  Once again, Whofans, thank you for dropping knowledge and setting sh*t straight around here.  Much respect. 

1 minute ago, UnitedWhofans said:

I wouldnt be shocked if Forte is dealt at the deadline

Strong and very likely prediction.  He's a coveted asset that many teams desire and trades before the deadline happen like baseball these days. 

Whofans, you are bringing it today.  Keep it up! 

Just now, JiF said:

You are correct, James Carpenter, Brian Winters, Brent Qvale and Wesley Johnson are all brand new to the NFL.  Once again, Whofasn, thank you for dropping knowledge and setting sh*t straight around here.  Much respect. 

Carpenter -28

Winters-26

Qvale-26

JOhnson-26

Beachum-28.

So even Beachum is along stretch to be a veteran.

VEteran to me is 29-30 or over

4 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Carpenter -28

Winters-26

Qvale-26

JOhnson-26

Beachum-28.

So even Beachum is along stretch to be a veteran.

VEteran to me is 29-30 or over

Whofans, once again.  Impressive.  Those guys are young whipper snappers with no NFL experience.  Thank you.

4 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

A dead Adrian Peterson says hello

Hello Adrian Peterson. Nice to meet you.  You've been a fantastic Football player in the NFL but every single time I draft you in fantasy football, you either get hurt for the year or suspend for the year.  So kindly, GFY. 

Just now, JiF said:

Hello Adrian Peterson. Nice to meet you.  You've been a fantastic Football player in the NFL but every single time I draft you in fantasy football, you either get hurt for the year or suspend for the year.  So kindly, GFY. 

There you go. All it takes is an injury and you have a tradeable commodity

Just now, UnitedWhofans said:

To me age is veteran because with age comes experience. So please compliement me again

Whofans, once again.  This is brilliant.  Even though a player has played a lot of NFL Football, doesn't mean they're a veteran because their age relative to the rest of society, is young.  Thank you.

The lack of really going for player development especially on offense is all on Bowles. But I have resigned myself, that at least with Woody Bowles has a bigger voice and more say in the team than Mac. Hopefully our "new" owner will learn from the past and not repeat it. Woody continuously looked for the next Parcells. Bowles is not it. He is an awful head coach

Tomlisson flat needs to play more. As do Stewart and Hansen and McGuire, etc.... but won't happen under Bowles.

I would fire Bowles today, install Morton and tell him he is being graded on the improvement seen in the young players, and that McClown only starts another game if both Hack and Petty are injured.

17 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

The lack of really going for player development especially on offense is all on Bowles. But I have resigned myself, that at least with Woody Bowles has a bigger voice and more say in the team than Mac. Hopefully our "new" owner will learn from the past and not repeat it. Woody continuously looked for the next Parcells. Bowles is not it. He is an awful head coach

Tomlisson flat needs to play more. As do Stewart and Hansen and McGuire, etc.... but won't happen under Bowles.

I would fire Bowles today, install Morton and tell him he is being graded on the improvement seen in the young players, and that McClown only starts another game if both Hack and Petty are injured.

I want to see Bowles gone as much as anyone, but do you really think that he's that involved in the offense to be dictating the depth chart and playing time?

48 minutes ago, JiF said:

No one said they were very good at it, and not to defend the braintrust in any way, but they can't turn over the whole roster in one year.  That being said, Bowles is incompetent and Mac is gutless and/or has no authority to tell Bowles who to play. It's a sh*t show all around.

2 minutes ago, ChuckkieB said:

No one said they were very good at it, and not to defend the braintrust in any way, but they can't turn over the whole roster in one year.  That being said, Bowles is incompetent and Mac is gutless and/or has no authority to tell Bowles who to play. It's a sh*t show all around.

If you turned over the whole roster, including QB, you become the 2017 Cleveland Browns. Who wants to be that?

PLus Petty and HAckenberg had EVERY opportunity to seize the job in preseason

Archived