3-4: happy or ANGRY and why?

phill1c

3-4: I'm happy.

At no point did I expect the Jets to be anything more than this almost .500 record.

And I'm happy because, although I see holes, I see some emerging talent. And I see a team coming together. It's the rebuilding experience I've always wanted. Now I have it and I kinda like it.

Am I pissed when the Jets get up two scores and--for some apparently nostalgic reason--feel they have to run between the tackles. Yeah, I have issues with Morton's playcalling. But this is to be expected as the OC learns how to be an OC with an offense learning how to be an offense. Yet the Jets have been in most games and, perhaps, had they not been robbed by the on-field and replay officials, maybe at 4-3...or 5-2. But, c'mon. this is a young team, from head to toe. So, of course just enough mistakes are made so that it drives the normally aspirated fan insane.

And, I think it's hypocritical to run Rex Ryan out on a rail because he talks too much bullsht but try to run Todd Bowles out because he's not Herm Edwards. And how in the world can people really be saying Bowles should have taken a kneel down just because McCown threw an INT???! I and YOU would be crucifying Bowles if he sat on the ball with 47 seconds and all three timeouts. It was the right call. It didn't work out. And, Bowles was right: it should never have come down to that. I don't see this as a clock management issue as some has mischaracterized it. I feel Bowles has grown a bit. He got bit by McCown's weakness, the long-out route. But, the way the offense had been playing in the 4th quarter--as soon as they got a two-score lead--losing seemed inevitable anyway. In one way, however, he hasn't grown. And that's the dogged need to be a "running" team. What is it with this obsession to be something you just aren't and that isn't really that important anyway?? I know, the need to exert one's will on another team. But I think it's easier to do that by doing stuff you're good at. Namely, passing on running downs. 

I'm digressing...The Jets don't have the personnel to Ground and Pound. They don't have the personnel to be the Greatest Show on Turf. But they do have guys who can win matchups. I'm not sure what happened in the 1st half--other than the desire to run--that caused the Jets offense to sputter. I just think they believe that they can put in a 270-lb FB and run and, really, you can't do that with most teams in the NFL. And even if you can, you've shrunk the field into a 4-10-yard area. The Jets are effective when they pass on running downs. So, why not make the defense give up COMPLETLY on stacking the box by mostly passing on running downs? They had the Dolphins on their heels and they decided to shrink the field before the Dolphins showed they could stop the passing game. Mind boggling...But, with time, I believe it can be corrected.

In the end, this is a growing 3-4 team. I like how little Lee plays, sometimes. I like his crazy demeanor. I like the production I'm seeing from Josh Martin, Damario Davis (a little silent yesterday), the secondary seems much improved, with notable lapses. The defense, I think, has been let down by an offense that has too many 3-and-outs that shift momentum or cause the defense to have to play too many snaps. and sometimes the defense just gives up the entire field in penalties. Not to short the offense, I love Seferian-Jenkins, Kearse, Tomlinson TE, Powell, McGuire, these are pretty decent players. So, they are a team that is fun to watch. The 3-4 record is the fate of a marginally talented team--getting better--that you have maddening losses like these. 

I'm largely indifferent.

The team is going nowhere this year, so what are they building towards? Can anyone answer that question? Who are the long term solutions on this roster? I count the safeties. Williams on the DL. Who else? Kearse?  Most of our young veteran contributors are in walk years (Claiborne, Davis, Sefarian-Jenkins, Ealy, even Kerley) Our 'stud' Wilkinson had been invisible prior to yesterday. Our recent drafts have produced very little. Our 2017 picks beyond round 2 seem to all be in redshirt years. Yes, great. We beat the Browns. We beat the Dolphins with Cutler being Cutler. We even got a surprise win over a pretty good Jax team. We might win two or even three more games this year. But the big picture aint pretty.

10 minutes ago, shuler82 said:

I'm largely indifferent.

The team is going nowhere this year, so what are they building towards? Can anyone answer that question? Who are the long term solutions on this roster? I count the safeties. Williams on the DL. Who else? Kearse?  Most of our young veteran contributors are in walk years (Claiborne, Davis, Sefarian-Jenkins, Ealy, even Kerley) Our 'stud' Wilkinson had been invisible prior to yesterday. Our recent drafts have produced very little. Our 2017 picks beyond round 2 seem to all be in redshirt years. Yes, great. We beat the Browns. We beat the Dolphins with Cutler being Cutler. We even got a surprise win over a pretty good Jax team. We might win two or even three more games this year. But the big picture aint pretty.

Basically my feeling though I might be a bit more optimistic since I feel certain things should happen and are obvious Plus we’ve overachieved. I’ll be fully optimistic if or when I read that ASJ, Ealy, Claiborne have signed extensions and I’ll be generally happier when in early March I read,  “Buster Skrine cut by the New York Jets.” That being said currently, at this moment, I don’t care because McCown is the QB1. 

I despise losing. I despise thinking there are moral victories in professional sports-there are none. They were ahead by 14 last week and ahead by 14 in the 4th quarter this week. They lost both games in regulation. Last week we were playing the GOAT. Fine they come back and beat you, that is what they do. The NY Jets were not the first nor the last team they will do that to, but Matt Moore? A career backup? You allow Matt Moore to score 2 quick TD's during crunch time? Forget the INT, I think everyone would have wanted Bowles head had he kneeled with :47 to go, and we lost in OT. That was a stupid throw by the QB, nothing more, nothing less, in fact, it was nice to see them go aggressive instead of playing scared and not to lose. I have to admit, I went into the season not caring and the worst thing this team did to me was win a few games because they sucked me back in, temporarily. Yesterday drove me possibly over the edge, add into that the amount of officiating deciding game outcomes, stupid replay delays, enough commercials and whatever have you to make anyone insane. I find the NFL quickly becoming unwatchable.

So to sum it up, this team scores 4 TDs and loses because their defense stinks. Plain and simple. Even on a day when they actually got a couple of turnovers, they still could not make a stop late in the game to preserve a victory. How many times have we seen this over the years? I wish we would have lost 35-0 yesterday instead of having our intestines ripped out. The games where you can taste victory only to have it ripped away from you are the worst losses.

Wish we were 1-6 or 0-7 and in better position to fire Maccagnan and Bowles and get a franchise QB in the 2018 draft. Instead we are in no mans land once again; not nearly good enough to contend and probably not bad enough to finally land a great QB. This organization sucks from top to bottom.

I also would love to see us hire John Dorsey to run the front office but there is no chance in hell that the Johnson dopes even know who he is. It really sucks that our ownership is so inept that we have to really on the likes of Charley Casserly every time we have to hire an executive or coach.

I drank all of the cool-aid and started out happy; as my happiness grow I became focused on doing the things that made me happy and I got even happier. Then about 3/4 through the day, I decided that even though I was doing things that made me happy, I would stop doing them in fear that they would make me unhappy. I stopped doing things that make me happy and somehow, unexpectedly, I was unhappy. When I realized that I was unhappy, I tried to do the things that made me happy, but I was out of practice and any mistake just made me even more unhappy. In the end, I ended up unhappy, but when my wife asked me why I was unhappy, I told her that I would have to check the tape on the day, but thought that based on all of my pre-day hype, I really should be happy and I just need to learn how to end the day happy.

40 minutes ago, Pennington said:

I also would love to see us hire John Dorsey to run the front office but there is no chance in hell that the Johnson dopes even know who he is. It really sucks that our ownership is so inept that we have to really on the likes of Charley Casserly every time we have to hire an executive or coach.

Nothing wrong with having advisers. 

2 minutes ago, bostonmajet said:

I drank all of the cool-aid and started out happy; as my happiness grow I became focused on doing the things that made me happy and I got even happier. Then about 3/4 through the day, I decided that even though I was doing things that made me happy, I would stop doing them in fear that they would make me unhappy. I stopped doing things that make me happy and somehow, unexpectedly, I was unhappy. When I realized that I was unhappy, I tried to do the things that made me happy, but I was out of practice and any mistake just made me even more unhappy. In the end, I ended up unhappy, but when my wife asked me why I was unhappy, I told her that I would have to check the tape on the day, but thought that based on all of my pre-day hype, I really should be happy and I just need to learn how to end the day happy.

This right here sums up Mac and Bowles. Confused af!

at the moment, neither here nor there.  if they rebounded from the patsie loss and stepped on the doltfins i'd be plenty happy.  happy they won and beat a miserabe excuse for a team but also happy because just maybe bowles is the guy to be the coach.  i'm happy too for the loss because mccown's limitations have been exposed and that much closer to seeing petty or hack start.

4 minutes ago, rangerous said:

at the moment, neither here nor there.  if they rebounded from the patsie loss and stepped on the doltfins i'd be plenty happy.  happy they won and beat a miserabe excuse for a team but also happy because just maybe bowles is the guy to be the coach.  i'm happy too for the loss because mccown's limitations have been exposed and that much closer to seeing petty or hack start.

Josh McCown's limitations were exposed way before the NY Jets signed him. 

Just now, joewilly12 said:

maybe.  i don't know enough about his past but from i can tell he can't make all the throws.  he's accurate and generally makes the right decision but he has been locking on certain receivers in certain situation and the defenses have figured it out. his near equal td to int ratio speaks volumes. obviously some of this is on the receivers but at the same time he has to go to them.

1 hour ago, shuler82 said:

I'm largely indifferent.

The only positive from this season is not getting angry during the games. 

Since I didn't figure them to have 3 wins at this point I guess mildly surprised? A couple of calls go their way they are 5-2 as other guys have said. Hey they are playing hard and didn't quit after a demoralizing loss to the Pats so its all good. As long as they continue to play hard and show some fight it's all you can ask for at this point. I look at this as a character building season and if Bowles doesn't lose them like he did last year maybe even he gets a pass this off-season. I am not rooting for that however but anything can happen. Looks like the Falcons are slipping some. I just hope they don't wake-up against us. It could get ugly.

2 hours ago, Matt39 said:

The only positive from this season is not getting angry during the games. 

That's a really big positive. I mean, it's only a game after all...and I too have that same feeling. Normally, after the NE Official robbery, I would be bitching and moaning about it for AT LEAST the entire week. But, really, I understood that the Jets have ZERO respect and the Patriots have all the respect. So, of course the officials are going to call the game as they did--NE had ZERO penalties the first half. yep, zero. So, in the officials eyes the Pats could do no wrong. Conversely, when the Jets were doing well, they had to find something to call because the officials believe the Jets can do no right. This is what a rebuilding team has to overcome.

And, again, I really haven't had much of a problem with Bowles. Yeah, the team could be 5-2. Well, really, they could be 7-0, but the reality is that they are a slightly below .500 team. My eyes tell me that's reality. I'm not going to lie, it hurts when they lose, especially like they did yesterday. But, on the other hand, a slightly below .500 team doesn't sweep an equally talented team, they split.

But I actually have a lot of players I like on this team. and very few I wish were off it. I was against the Kerley signing. But he catches most everything. I did think it interesting that the Dolphins seem to shut down his main 'route'. But there seem to be targets everywhere. Oh, and looking at the game stats: what modern NFL team throws only 27 times?! WTF is that???!! It's ridiculous.

Mixed.

LIke the fact that we aren't completely terrible.

Don't like the fact that its mostly b/c of veterans that aren't going to be here in a few years that we aren't terrible.  Eg we are being carried by McCown, Kerley, Kearse, Forte, Claiborne etc.  Meanwhile most of our young guys have not shown much and have been dissappointing.

If I had to guess who remains from our roster in 3-4 years, i suspect that maybe only Enunwa makes the cut on O (and maybe a few OL if they don't get too expensive).  Our wide receivers, tes and young rb  is a gigantic hole of misery.  Its very possible that no one else makes it that far.

On defense.  I'm pretty sure the only three people that are locks are the two safeties and Williams.  Jenkins and Lee might still be here, but I'm a little skeptical, a new coach likely would implement a different scheme and small lbers aren't neccessarily everyones cup of tea.

2 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

I had no problem signing him, I have big problems PLAYING him.  McCown should be an ultimate fall back plan ONLY...not starting.

If the NYJ were in this position playing one of the kids at QB, I'd be ecstatic

I am happy that this team is fighting and playing scrappy, despite a lack of talent and rookie mistakes. We are beginning to see which young guys we want around next year and which ones we don't. I'm particularly happy with the offensive line because, as bad as they are, they're not nearly as bad as I had imagined they would be.

im still really bitter that we spent  half dozen first round picks on defensive linemen/linebackers and have absolutely zero to show for it. 

i am also unhappy with three wins, especially the one against Cleveland, as I really want I really want a franchise QB (leaning towards Rosen because, whether it's rational or not, I have a bias against any QB from USC). 

Archived