What Would The Jets Record Be If The Following QB's were starting

August

8 hours ago, rex-n-effect said:

Who cares?

lol

We're looking at the :bag: way McCown's masterfully :bag:'d a handful of key snaps this year (and in fairness, it isn't without good reason). But the truth is he's done a decidedly good job on most of the rest of them (given the receiving corps built primarily of other teams' castoffs) and has just been a choke-artist more than he's been a bad overall QB. So is the question ultimately and inadvertently becomes, what if you got McCown on his good plays and then yanked him and rolled the dice with the other guys on the plays we know, with 20/20 hindsight, he was going to turn it over? At least for the latter 3 names.

For the first one? I think it's a trick question to get people to say zero to DeShaun Watson, because for some reason they're convinced Bowles would bench him all year in favor of McCown.

4 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

lol

We're looking at the :bag: way McCown's masterfully :bag:'d a handful of key snaps this year (and in fairness, it isn't without good reason). But the truth is he's done a decidedly good job on most of the rest of them (given the receiving corps built primarily of other teams' castoffs). So is the question ultimately and inadvertently becomes, what if you got McCown on his good plays and then yanked him and rolled the dice with the other guys on the plays we know, with 20/20 hindsight, he was going to turn it over? At least for the latter 3 names.

For the first one? I think it's a trick question to get people to say zero to DeShaun Watson, because for some reason they're convinced Bowles would bench him all year in favor of McCown.

i certainly wouldn't say watson would have them at 7-0.  imo they'd be 4-3.  as for the rest, maybe 2-5 or 3-4.  they just don't have the horsepower to really beat up other teams yet.

3 hours ago, rangerous said:

i certainly wouldn't say watson would have them at 7-0.  imo they'd be 4-3.  as for the rest, maybe 2-5 or 3-4.  they just don't have the horsepower to really beat up other teams yet.

And while any opinions or guesses are fine, they'd also be 100% baseless.

If they were 4-3 with Watson, what do you suppose you'd guess the record would have been with McCown, who was known as Mr. 2-22 around here.

And you don't know that the progress he's had with Houston is necessarily his peak. It's not like they've done such a great job with anybody else down there; what I've seen is a franchise that has recently had their hands on a few high-ceiling guys - Savage, Oswiller, Mallett, and now Watson - and Watson is the first/only one who didn't bust.

The answer is you don't know. You don't know what other adjustments the team would have made. Would we have relied too heavily upon him, not heavily enough, or just right?

A big part of getting the W - as McCown has shown us so spectacularly - is what happens in crunch time. 

And FWIW, Houston's OL is nothing great. I don't know how this idea got started that Watson's so fortunate to have that Houston OL. Savage was sacked on literally more than 1/3 of his dropbacks before they pulled him. Yeah he sucks, but even he's not that bad all on his own, and that doesn't happen unless the OL isn't doing its job.

Watson is hiding a lot of that OL's ills. Not only does he buy himself more time to pass, but he turns broken protection into positive gains with his feet instead of just taking the sack, so nobody thinks of those long runs/scrambles as bad play by the OL.

O’Brien has figured out how to coach Watson and build a scheme for him.  Watson’s success is really a joint effort.  Don’t know how good he would be on the Jets.  

Morton has done a decent coaching job this year.   It is not certain that the tools in his box would have worked for Watson.  

2 minutes ago, section314 said:

I think an even more interesting question ...........what  would the Jets have done last year if they had signed McCown  a year earlier? 

I felt we should've signed him and had him compete with Smith for the starting job a year ago. That would've been the right decision albeit the unpopular decision because Jets fans had their heads up Fitzpatrick's ass. 

6 minutes ago, section314 said:

I think an even more interesting question ...........what  would the Jets have done last year if they had signed McCown  a year earlier? 

It would have been essentially the same thing at less of a cost. Mccown and Fitz are basically the same guy. Old, passable low end starters who would better be served as backups. 

4 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Watson-  Maybe 4-3 or at an extreme 5-2

Petty- Same record we have right now

Hackenberg- 0-7

Geno- Same record we have right now

LOL, GENO we'd be 1-6 lol. who in there right mind thinks he wouldn't have more INT's and boneheaded plays than McCown. I am not a McCown fan either, but McCown is light years ahead of Geno. 

Deshaun Watson - Learning to win better

Bryce Petty - Sometimes learning to win, sometimes learning to lose

Christian Hackenberg - Learning to lose, but once in the 3rd quarter of the Browns game, they'd be learning to win, and then by the fourth, learn to lose

Geno Smith - Learn to get punched in the face

Pat Mahomes - Learning to throw a ball through a steel reinforced concrete wall

None of them would have records. Macc would sign Bubby Brister and Bowles would start him until he died on the field only to be resuscitated and out right back out there. Competitive rebuild, huzzah!
Absolutely Bowles is like Terry Collins it's about playing veteran retreads

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Archived