Source: Mike Tice deal to Jets basically a done deal!

Bill Slackman

The president of my company is a diehard West Virginia fan and there was an unusual amount of chatter on their sports website surrounding Tice to the Jets. At my behest, he dug in a bit and was able to speak with an old associate who's family is in the sports business and this person told him that a source within the Jets organization confirmed that Tice to the Jets is done. The Jets believe Tice lost control of the locker room because of some bad personalities (ie Randy Moss) and never got it back. He was told the Jets believe in Tice, feel he is a good coach and that this deal is done. Truly unbelievable.

Take this for what it is...however, the source has been right many times before on Jets issues.

I'm a die-hard Jets fan and must admit that if this story/rumor is true...we're in trouble. Tice is a joke (not to mention a crook and a bad football coach). This is Kotite all over again. Is it possible that Bradway/Johnson are this inept? Is it actually possible that I can do a better job in selecting the next coach than the guys who get paid millions to do it? I can't fathom why the obvious to everyone else is so difficult for our regime to see? They hire Tice and we will truly be the laughingstock of the league.

Help me off the ledge.

Call me a fiar weather fan all you want, I'm done with this team if Haslett or Tice are hired as Head Coach.

I would not be surprised, however. Other organizations look for someone innovative, fresh prospects. We look for guys that had talented teams and not only underachieved, they imploded.

Typical.

Haslett had what, five years with a very talented Saints team and did nothing but allow each and every other team in his division rise up and win the division title(San fran won the year after N.O. moved to the NFL South).

Tice? I watched him blow 5-0/6-1 leads, lose control of a team, sell off tickets, threaten players, etc. Why the hell would I want him here? he seems utterly clueless, and had a very talented Vikings team this season underachieve.

I have yet to ehar of any other teams brining these buffoons in for interviews, yet Bradway sings their praises.

F it. I'll put my Jets sh*t on Ebay. Maybe I'll get a buck or two.

i hope you're all right and the rumor is just that...a rumor. but i've been reading a ton and gobbling up everything possible on who the jets are targeting to be the next HC and everything i read, hear, etc. points to Mangini (with a caveat that BB will squash his interest) and if not Mangini then either tice or haslett.

i'm in disbelief. whoever said no one else is even sniffing these guys and we're all over them is totally right...tice or haslett is a train wreck...tough to get excited about.

The president of my company is a diehard West Virginia fan and there was an unusual amount of chatter on their sports website surrounding Tice to the Jets. At my behest, he dug in a bit and was able to speak with an old associate who's family is in the sports business and this person told him that a source within the Jets organization confirmed that Tice to the Jets is done. The Jets believe Tice lost control of the locker room because of some bad personalities (ie Randy Moss) and never got it back. He was told the Jets believe in Tice, feel he is a good coach and that this deal is done. Truly unbelievable.

Take this for what it is...however, the source has been right many times before on Jets issues.

I'm a die-hard Jets fan and must admit that if this story/rumor is true...we're in trouble. Tice is a joke (not to mention a crook and a bad football coach). This is Kotite all over again. Is it possible that Bradway/Johnson are this inept? Is it actually possible that I can do a better job in selecting the next coach than the guys who get paid millions to do it? I can't fathom why the obvious to everyone else is so difficult for our regime to see? They hire Tice and we will truly be the laughingstock of the league.

Help me off the ledge.

I'm happy about this. I like Tice. He's a good coach. I'd rather him than Mangini. Mangini may be awesome, but it's too much risk finding out.

listen guys this isnt as bad as it sounds, yes he might be the homer simpson of coaches, but he turned a bunch of sex fiends and booze hounds without a qb from a 2-5 team to a 9-7 team. before he was a head coach he was the offensive line coord. something we desperately need expertise in. if hes cheap hes worth a shot.

listen guys this isnt as bad as it sounds, yes he might be the homer simpson of coaches, but he turned a bunch of sex fiends and booze hounds without a qb from a 2-5 team to a 9-7 team. before he was a head coach he was the offensive line coord. something we desperately need expertise in. if hes cheap hes worth a shot.

So was Paul Hackett [-X

i have no idea how this could be a done deal before they talk to mangini OR tice. this is totally bogus.

I don't know anything in this case, but it is definitely NOT UNCOMMON for a franchise and a coach's agent to work out financial terms before the interview. Basically, "If it all goes well, do we agree on these terms" in a verbal agreement.

This is not out of the realm of possibility.

Damn. I am not a huge Herm fan, but I didn't want change for the sake of change. Tice would be just that, change for the sake of change.

If Mangini doesn't take the job I would much rather have 'dinger. Hell, give me Fassel and Sherman in a heartbeat before Tice.

I actually agree with everything that Bergen said. I am going to brush my teeth now.

Call me a fiar weather fan all you want, I'm done with this team if Haslett or Tice are hired as Head Coach.

I would not be surprised, however. Other organizations look for someone innovative, fresh prospects. We look for guys that had talented teams and not only underachieved, they imploded.

Typical.

Haslett had what, five years with a very talented Saints team and did nothing but allow each and every other team in his division rise up and win the division title(San fran won the year after N.O. moved to the NFL South).

Tice? I watched him blow 5-0/6-1 leads, lose control of a team, sell off tickets, threaten players, etc. Why the hell would I want him here? he seems utterly clueless, and had a very talented Vikings team this season underachieve.

I have yet to ehar of any other teams brining these buffoons in for interviews, yet Bradway sings their praises.

F it. I'll put my Jets Sh#t on Ebay. Maybe I'll get a buck or two.

Actually Tice and Haslett have both gotten their teams off to 5-0, or 6-0 starts in the past, and failed to make the playoffs.

So the comparison to Kottite is a wrong. It would be more like Al Groe all over again.

Archived