Leberfeld of JC feels Tice is the perfect fit

NIGHT STALKER

Call on Long Island native to right ship

Jan 13, 2006

To me, the decision is a no-brainer.

When you look at the list of candidates the Jets are interviewing for their head coaching position, the choice is clear. Mike Tice to the Jets is a match right out of Central Casting.

The former Minnesota Vikings coach is Long Island born-and-raised, New York tough and armed with four years of head coaching experience under very tough circumstances.

The Jets job, one of the most difficult in the NFL, isn't too big for the 6-foot-8, 290-pound Central Islip native with that "what are you looking at" expression on his face.

Discipline went by the wayside the last few years under the laissez-faire approach of Herm Edwards. The Jets need a coach willing to get in a player's face if need be.

"I would want someone to come in and be a little more forceful, a little more of disciplinarian, put the hammer down-type of coach," Jets center Kevin Mawae told The New York Post.

"I loved playing for Herm and his style of coaching, but I think our team is a young team that needs a little bit more of a thumb-down on the guys kind of deal."

Tice is that guy. The night before the Vikings' last game of the season against Chicago, starting cornerback Fred Smoot was late for bed-check, and Tice benched him. The cornerback begged Tice on the sideline to let him back in the game, but the coach wouldn't bend.

The Jets need a coach who will force the players to work out or fine them, something Edwards wouldn't do. And guess what? The Jets were one of the worst-conditioned teams in football last year. Tice is the kind of coach that will bring accountability to the weight room.

So you say, "What about the 'Love Boat' scandal?" where several Vikings were charged with lewd behavior on a charted boat. To blame Tice for this is ridiculous. What do you want him to do, hold their hands when they are away from the complex on an off-day?

The only Viking scandal you can blame Tice for is the ticket-scalping controversy. He sold some Super Bowl tickets a few years ago, and the league fined him $100,000. This was wrong, but if you knew how many players and coaches scalp their tickets (they all get two), it would blow your mind.

This was like Martha Stewart going to jail for inside trading. Tons of people do it, but it was Stewart that they made an example of.

One reason Tice probably resorted to selling his tickets was he was the lowest paid head coach in the league. He made just $750,000 his first few years with the Vikings, and then was bumped up to $1 million, a pittance for an NFL coach.

And the frugality of former Vikings owner Red McCombs is another reason why Tice would likely be a lot more successful with the Jets, than the Vikings. McCombs made it very tough to win.

One reason the Vikings might have had some off-the-field issues is that McCombs fired the team's security department to save money. The Vikings weren't doing the same background checks on players that other teams were doing, and

that leads to draft-day selections like running back Ontario Smith, he of "Whizzinator" fame.

Did you know why McCombs finally spent some money on free agents last offseason? Well, the Vikings were so far under the cap, they violated the collective bargaining agreement. Just like there is a cap on what you can spend, there

is a minimum as well.

"The Vikings were run on the cheap under Red," said a person close to the Vikings. "McCombs cut back when he saw he wasn't going to get a new stadium. He had no team president, no GM, no director of player personnel."

Former Vikings offensive coordinator Scott Linehan, one of the best in the business, had no contract last offseason, and McCombs would only give him a one-year deal. Linehan went to Miami where he got the long-term security he wanted, and the owner forced Tice to promote form within and not add another salary. Offensive line coach Steve Loney was forced to handle the line and the play-calling. It was too much for him, and the offense floundered.

If Tice came to the Jets, he would have much more support, and this would help him become an even better coach. Hey, the Jets are reportedly $30 million over the cap, so spending clearly isn't an issue.

And Tice wouldn't have a problem keeping some of the key Jets' assistants, specifically offensive coordinator Mike Heimerdinger and special teams coordinator Mike Westhoff. This is very significant. They are both top-shelf coaches, and this would allow the Jets to keep two-thirds of their systems intact.

If the Jets keep throwing new playbooks at their players, they will never catch the New England Patriots, who are all about continuity. Anybody that thinks it's easy for NFL players to pick up new systems quickly is kidding themselves. Playbooks these days resemble War and Peace.

Defensive coordinator Donnie Henderson likely won't be back with the team, so maybe they could promote secondary coach Corwin Brown to defensive coordinator, and perhaps keep that system intact as well. He's a Bill Parcells-Bill Belichick disciple, who seems ready for the challenge.

Speaking of Parcells-Belichick disciples, some NFL sources are claiming that Belichick's defensive coordinator Eric Mangini is at the top of the Jets list. I don't like this idea.

First of all, he's too young--he's 35, but looks 25. It's very easy to discipline players when Belichick has your back. But it could be a problem for a guy so young, who doesn't seem to have Jon Gruden's personality, to lord over 53 pro football players. David Shula was close in age to Mangini when he took over the Cincinnati Bengals, and the players didn't respect him, even with the famous last name.

And Mangini could have a hard time putting together a coaching staff. He doesn't know a lot of people around the league. He's only worked for Belichick and Parcells, and they certainly aren't going to let him raid their staffs.

This could be a big problem. Plus, why would the Jets want to hire a protege of Belichick after the Patriots coach left them at the altar in 2000, breaking his contract to go to New England.

Now the Jets want a chip off the Belichick block. C'mon Jets, have some pride-- don't beg the top assistant of the man who screwed you to now take over your team. The Jets would basically be saying, "If you can't beat them, join them."

Mangini is now the hot media candidate, but Jets GM Terry Bradway has to ignore this factor. He can't hire Mangini to make a splash in the papers, to get reporters off his back. It doesn't matter who the media wants. Their expertise is journalism, not evaluating coaches.

Bradway needs to take a page from the best executive in New York sports, Lou Lamoriello of the New Jersey Devils. He couldn't care less what the media or fans think of his decisions. He's going to do what he thinks is best for his team. Lamoriello knows that in the long run, it's about winning, not instant gratification.

And you know who is good at evaluating coaches--Mr. Parcells, and two league sources told me that he's a fan of Tice.

The Jets don't need a head coaching novice like Mangini learning on the job.

Tice has the head-coaching experience, which can't be minimized. He also showed a lot of growth on the job.

"I think he's improved greatly as a game-day coach," said the source close to the Vikings. "His clock management was bad his first two years, and he got better than last two years. He got better at replay challenges. I think he's improved on game day."

And he's the right coach at the right time for the New York Jets.

To me, the decision is a no-brainer.

Unless they have a HOF resume, no HC choice is a no-brainer unless you have no-brain.

The Jets job, one of the most difficult in the NFL, isn't too big for the 6-foot-8, 290-pound Central Islip native with that "what are you looking at" expression on his face.

So he's a good man for the job b/c he's large?

Discipline went by the wayside the last few years under the laissez-faire approach of Herm Edwards. The Jets need a coach willing to get in a player's face if need be.

He certainly kept his own team under control. He was so in-control that they had to trade away the most talented player the Vikings ever had in their history b/c Tice couldn't control him.

Tice is that guy. The night before the Vikings' last game of the season against Chicago, starting cornerback Fred Smoot was late for bed-check, and Tice benched him. The cornerback begged Tice on the sideline to let him back in the game, but the coach wouldn't bend.

So he benched Fred Smoot in a meaningless game. Even Herm benched Abe for a game & I think he benched Robinson for a game as well. Doesn't make Herm tough on them though.

The Jets need a coach who will force the players to work out or fine them, something Edwards wouldn't do. And guess what? The Jets were one of the worst-conditioned teams in football last year. Tice is the kind of coach that will bring accountability to the weight room.

Based on what? Were the Vikings the best-conditioned team last year?

So you say, "What about the 'Love Boat' scandal?" where several Vikings were charged with lewd behavior on a charted boat. To blame Tice for this is ridiculous. What do you want him to do, hold their hands when they are away from the complex on an off-day?

Try to imagine players doing that if their HC was among the league's more respected.

The only Viking scandal you can blame Tice for is the ticket-scalping controversy. He sold some Super Bowl tickets a few years ago, and the league fined him $100,000. This was wrong, but if you knew how many players and coaches scalp their tickets (they all get two), it would blow your mind.

So he's as guilty as they are, or vice versa, or whatever. So you expect today's players to listen to the old "do as I say not as I do" routine?

One reason Tice probably resorted to selling his tickets was he was the lowest paid head coach in the league. He made just $750,000 his first few years with the Vikings, and then was bumped up to $1 million, a pittance for an NFL coach.

Is he now rationalizing (excusing, really) Tice's behavior?

If Tice came to the Jets, he would have much more support, and this would help him become an even better coach. Hey, the Jets are reportedly $30 million over the cap, so spending clearly isn't an issue.

So part of the idea is that Tice was unsuccessful b/c they didn't spend the proper money on players in Minnesota. Now Leberfeld says we won't spend money on bringing in more players here b/c of our cap situation, and that's supposed to mean what exactly? That he's used to it?

And Tice wouldn't have a problem keeping some of the key Jets' assistants, specifically offensive coordinator Mike Heimerdinger and special teams coordinator Mike Westhoff. This is very significant. They are both top-shelf coaches, and this would allow the Jets to keep two-thirds of their systems intact.

This is getting closer to the reason why I don't like Tice. Not that I'd object to keeping Dinger & Westhoff. It's that they'd stick around b/c Tice has no system. He has no philosophy. Not even a bad philosophy. Is he offense-minded? Is he defense-minded? He was a blocking TE & had offensive weapons there, but is he really an "offensive-minded coach" b/c of it? What gameplans has he drawn up? Or was that left to his asst's just like our last HC?

Defensive coordinator Donnie Henderson likely won't be back with the team, so maybe they could promote secondary coach Corwin Brown to defensive coordinator, and perhaps keep that system intact as well. He's a Bill Parcells-Bill Belichick disciple, who seems ready for the challenge.

I like Corwin Brown. Always did. But our secondary was weak, so why should the coach of that unit be elevated to run the entire defense?

Speaking of Parcells-Belichick disciples, some NFL sources are claiming that Belichick's defensive coordinator Eric Mangini is at the top of the Jets list. I don't like this idea.

First of all, he's too young--he's 35, but looks 25. It's very easy to discipline players when Belichick has your back. But it could be a problem for a guy so young, who doesn't seem to have Jon Gruden's personality, to lord over 53 pro football players. David Shula was close in age to Mangini when he took over the Cincinnati Bengals, and the players didn't respect him, even with the famous last name.

And Mangini could have a hard time putting together a coaching staff. He doesn't know a lot of people around the league. He's only worked for Belichick and Parcells, and they certainly aren't going to let him raid their staffs.

OK he looks young like David Shula therefore he will be as unsuccessful as David Shula. He doesn't look as surly as Bellichick or as hot-tempered as Gruden, so therefore he won't be as successful as either.

This could be a big problem. Plus, why would the Jets want to hire a protege of Belichick after the Patriots coach left them at the altar in 2000, breaking his contract to go to New England.

Because his current boss keeps winning superbowls when we can't even reach one for 35 years.

Now the Jets want a chip off the Belichick block. C'mon Jets, have some pride-- don't beg the top assistant of the man who screwed you to now take over your team. The Jets would basically be saying, "If you can't beat them, join them."

Yes. I'd like to "join them" in the group of superbowl winners.

Mangini is now the hot media candidate, but Jets GM Terry Bradway has to ignore this factor. He can't hire Mangini to make a splash in the papers, to get reporters off his back. It doesn't matter who the media wants. Their expertise is journalism, not evaluating coaches.

Then what's this article all about? The pot just hasn't told this kettle what color he is yet.

Bradway needs to take a page from the best executive in New York sports, Lou Lamoriello of the New Jersey Devils. He couldn't care less what the media or fans think of his decisions. He's going to do what he thinks is best for his team. Lamoriello knows that in the long run, it's about winning, not instant gratification.

Bradway is a scout holding the job title GM. He can evaluate players. Some he hits on, some he misses on, like the rest of the league. In what way does that qualify him to choose coordinators or head coaches with equal or greater skill simply because someone else is good at it?

And you know who is good at evaluating coaches--Mr. Parcells, and two league sources told me that he's a fan of Tice.

Yeah, well Parcells also thought Groh was the right man for the job here.

The Jets don't need a head coaching novice like Mangini learning on the job.

Tice has the head-coaching experience, which can't be minimized. He also showed a lot of growth on the job.

"I think he's improved greatly as a game-day coach," said the source close to the Vikings. "His clock management was bad his first two years, and he got better than last two years. He got better at replay challenges. I think he's improved on game day."

If it took him two years to get his clock management & replay challenges down pat, he's too slow of a learner. A coach should know these things BEFORE taking the job. Say what you want about Dinger, but he knows when to take a friggin' penalty at least. This stuff should be like a reflex. It should require as much consideration as an obvious one like taking the penalty instead of punting.

And he's the right coach at the right time for the New York Jets.

Couldn't be more wrong. When a team is in dissaray like it is now, what it needs is a man-with-a-plan. Not a man-who-just-got-canned.

leberfeld is a moron. he has nothing bad to say about anyone on this team at the start of the season then changes his mind when things go bad. he's too much of a homer for me.

I wouldn't exactly call him a moron. Is anyone ever right about this team? Fans included? Whoever takes this job is almost guaranteed to fall on his face...they all do except for Weeb.

But, if a HC can come in here and win us our second SB, he'll be crowned like no other and deservedly so.

let me tell you i used to enjoy reading Dan;s articles and listening to his reports - but last week he was on MSG and he was just very arrogant and annoying... Saying these one word obnoxious answers - Steve Cabgiolosi ask Fooch a question and Dan ws like hey Herm was a 4-12 coach - we stole that 4th rounder - meawhile in the past he would be so far up Herms a$$ Herm could taste the hair gel

leberfeld is a moron. he has nothing bad to say about anyone on this team at the start of the season then changes his mind when things go bad. he's too much of a homer for me.

I don't think he is a moron, although I do think he is totally wrong about this, Tice is a jerk, he had lost control of his team, had to threaten them to step up and fight him, is that a leader? no, that is a jerk. and I would not want him running the Jets.

As for Leberfeld, I think he has no problem speaking his mind, if he does not like something he sees about the jets, he will say it, not caring if he upsets anyone in the Jets front office, sometimes the truth hurts, but he gives it to ya straight.

This is the way Leberfeld has always been; he is either spot on accurate with an article or he comes way out of left field that makes you wonder what he was sniffing before composing the story.

Mike Tice? This is the same guy who got of to 6-1 starts 2 years in a row in a very bad division and didnt make the playoffs one year, then barely made it last season.

And I dont understand where this notion is coming from regarding Tice being a disciplinarian, i have read that he always tried too hard to be friends with his players.

And using the excuse that the ownership was cheap under Tice is pretty much a moot point since Tice STILL had one of the most talented defenses in the league and they underachieved for most of the season.

Um, Lebby, isn't that what you are trying to do in this article?

So Parcells loves Tice and Law, McGinest, Belly, and Accorsi love Mangini.

Mike Tice? Geeze.

Archived