Jets Offensive Coordinater announced!!!

GlennFoley

Not sure what the real deal is.

Rotoworld:

A "major fight" is reportedly brewing between Jets offensive coordinator Mike Heimerdinger and coach Eric Mangini.

Heimerdinger, who was believed to be the favorite to take over as Mike Shanahan's offensive coordinator in Denver, is still under contract. Mangini reportedly is interested in keeping the coach because he knows the Jets offense, but 'Dinger wants out. It's almost unheard of to keep a coach who doesn't want to be there. Jan. 19 - 4:44 pm et

Source: ESPN.com Insider

A major fight is brewing with the New York Jets. At the moment, Jets coach Eric Mangini is considering holding offensive coordinator Mike Heimerdinger to his contract even though Heimerdinger was hired by Herman Edwards and lost the bid for the head-coaching job to Mangini.

Mangini spent Wednesday meeting with his defensive coaches and was planning to work on the offensive staff later in the week. Heimerdinger wants out, but he has not been given permission. Because of Heimerdinger's expertise in running the offense, the Jets might want to keep him.

Heimerdinger has two years remaining on his contract with salaries of $1 million and $1.2 million. He will have several opportunities to go elsewhere. With Gary Kubiak leaving the Broncos to become the head coach of the Houston Texans, Heimerdinger could reunite with one of his best friends, Broncos head coach Mike Shanahan.

Heimerdinger is expected to tell the Jets he's not interesting in working under Mangini. The Jets don't have to let him out of the contract, but it's rare for a head coach to have an assistant on staff who doesn't want to be there.

I want Dinger out whether he wants to be here or not. Screw him.

I loved Donnie but he had to go with the style of D Mangini wants to run.

Was Sutton promoted to DC or was that just false information on the Post's part?

If Mangini is smart, he keeps his nose out of Dinger's business and lets him run the show on offense.

He really has no choice. This is a good thing. Dinger has been here for awhile. He can tweak the offensive staff a bit, but it is his show.

Mangini can worry about the defense. The staff turnover has been minimal all things considered. Except we know have one person on the sideline that actually can make a decision.

I don't like his quote though:

"Yeah, [Eric Mangini] is keeping me on," said Heimerdinger. "I don't have much choice."

Jets | Heimerdinger to remain with team

Thu, 19 Jan 2006 16:28:38 -0800

Randy Lange, of the Bergen Record, reports New York Jets head coach Eric Mangini will keep offensive coordinator Mike Heimerdinger on his staff. Heimerdinger has two years remaining on a three-year contract

He really has no choice. This is a good thing. Dinger has been here for awhile. He can tweak the offensive staff a bit, but it is his show.

Mangini can worry about the defense. The staff turnover has been minimal all things considered. Except we know have one person on the sideline that actually can make a decision.

Totally agree with that Max.

And screw Dinger, he's not the HC.

Tx,

I was glad the Jets didn't give in. I thought Bradway would wait for Denver to finish (after the Super Bowl) then let Dinger walk.

Meanwhile all the other candidates would be gone already. But the Jets did what was "right".

About time the Jets did what was in their best interest.

wouldnt dinger still need to show he can run an offense in order to get an HC job the following year? he still would need to put his best foot forward. He couldnt screw with the team without hurting his career.

I don't like the sound of Dinger in that quote...sounds like a guy that wanted out and the Jets chained him to the fence.
Even so I like the move because Dinger can't cut off his nose to spite his face.

And at the end of the day Dinger will do his job and he will because he might as well make the best of his situation.... I think this is the first good decision the front office has problably made. Why pay him 1.1 mil to leave when we don't have a better option at this point.

Tx,

I was glad the Jets didn't give in. I thought Bradway would wait for Denver to finish (after the Super Bowl) then let Dinger walk.

Meanwhile all the other candidates would be gone already. But the Jets did what was "right".

About time the Jets did what was in their best interest.

Wow, two friggn' good moves by the Jets in less then a week. :shock:

First off, Dinger wasn't going anywhere, he is still under contract with the Jets (yea, but so was Hermy, but that's for another day).

If this guy has HC aspirations, he sucks it up and and turns the Jets offense around next season.

I gotta believe Mangini has already told him, the offense is your show.

Keep in mind that I still think Hermy handcuffed Dinger last year with his conservative nature, 3rd string QB or not.

Keep in mind that I still think Hermy handcuffed Dinger last year with his conservative nature, 3rd string QB or not.

Not sure I agree with that. Remember one thing about Dinger, he will usually get the QB hurt on his own. He isn't afraid to send lots of guys out.

Last year the QBs got hurt on freak plays. After that happened they really didn't have any choice but to play conservative.

max, good points,, i understand all about someone not wantin to be here u let him go, BUT Max, isnt it refreshing to finally have someone who says 'Sorry you want to be somewhere else, BUT the BEST THING FOR THE JETS is for you to stay'

I really hope that in the coming weeks Dinger is let go by The Great Mangini, hopefully he is, if not, we're just going to have to sit back and see what happens.

Maybe Mangini doesn't wanna change the Jets offense for a 3rd time in 3 seasons? I don't know. But if Dinger wants out then let him go rather then him act like a 12 year old and just rant on throughout the offseason / season.

If Mangini is smart, he keeps his nose out of Dinger's business and lets him run the show on offense.

Holy crud I can't believe I'm actually agreeing with this guy! Keep Heimerdinger. He's a good OC and I think yall should give him another chance. His 1st year, the team especially the offense was ripped to a million pieces by injuries. Hence last year's 4-12 record. And the 0-8 road record.

Well Heimerdinger probalby knew he was going to be the next OC in Denver. He's Shanahan's buddy.

To quote Bill Belichick, the Jets might be "career suicide" for Heimerdinger and the Broncos would be fast tracking it!

If Denver offers him a position as Assistant HC/Offensive Coordinator do the Jets have to give him the same title or let him go?

Well Heimerdinger probalby knew he was going to be the next OC in Denver. He's Shanahan's buddy.

To quote Bill Belichick, the Jets might be "career suicide" for Heimerdinger and the Broncos would be fast tracking it!

If Denver offers him a position as Assistant HC/Offensive Coordinator do the Jets have to give him the same title or let him go?

The Broncos can't offer him sh*t untill the Jets fire him or he quits. Untill that time...We own his big head.

I want Dinger out whether he wants to be here or not. Screw him.

I loved Donnie but he had to go with the style of D Mangini wants to run.

Was Sutton promoted to DC or was that just false information on the Post's part?

i agree **** dinger. i know he had a lot of bad luck, but his offense was absolutely the pits. there wasnt a single bright spot all season. and now, he is unhappy? just cut the idiot loose and start fresh.if its a money issue they should mutually agree to tear up the contract

i agree F#ck dinger. i know he had a lot of bad luck, but his offense was absolutely the pits. there wasnt a single bright spot all season. and now, he is unhappy? just cut the idiot loose and start fresh.if its a money issue they should mutually agree to tear up the contract

Brooks Bollinger was the bright spot.

Archived