Governor proud of Bollinger & much, much more.......

Fred Jetstone

http://www.grandforks.com/mld/grandforks/sports/13629895.htm

Brooks Bollinger: Jetting to the top

By Kevin Fee

Herald Staff Writer

North Dakota Gov. John Hoeven crossed paths with New York Jets quarterback Brooks Bollinger this past week.

Both were in the Herald building, the governor talking about school funding and Bollinger talking about life as an NFL quarterback.

"You represent us well," Hoeven told Bollinger. "We're really proud of you."

The two and others in the room talked about life in New York, Bollinger's first season as a starter and even politics.

Hoeven said he enjoyed watching Bollinger, who became an instant name in New York after Jets quarterbacks Chad Pennington and Jay Fiedler were sidelined with the season-ending injuries, elevating Bollinger to starter.

The situation wasn't ideal for Bollinger, a former Grand Forks Central and University of Wisconsin standout. The Jets also had linemen sidelined, so Bollinger sometimes took a pounding.

He was sacked 32 times.

"You stood up well," Hoeven said. "I thought you threw the ball tremendously well."

Bollinger completed 150 of 266 passes for 1,558 yards. He had seven touchdown passes vs. six interceptions.

He has one year remaining on his contract with the Jets, but he's unsure if he will be back in New York next season. The team has salary-cap issues and is looking for a new head coach, after Herman Edwards recently left to take the Kansas City job.

The Herald sat down and asked Bollinger about a season in which he became the first Grand Forks player to start at quarterback in the NFL.

You're a quarterback in New York. What's the most exciting non-football event you went to in the city?

Probably a Yankees (baseball) game. I've been in the city a little bit, but not a whole lot. I've been to a couple of functions and met some interesting people. But it was cool to be in Yankee Stadium.

Who are some of the celebrities you've met? Have you talked with the governor of New York?

No. Just the governor of North Dakota. There's been a couple of people who have been to our games who I've met a couple of actors: Hulk Hogan, when his daughter sang the national anthem, and Denzel Washington, in our locker room, people like that. I shook (former Jets Super-Bowl winning quarterback) Joe Namath's hand one time. I didn't really talk to him. He was just at a function.

What's the biggest adjustment you've had to make living in the New York area?

Adjusting to traffic. That's one where I'm back here now, and I leave like a half hour early for me to get anywhere, and I remember I can get anywhere in five minutes. So I've been early for a lot of things when I've been back.

What do you remember most about your first NFL start against the Baltimore Ravens in October in Baltimore?

The whole week really went fast, was just kind of a whirlwind of stuff happening to me. That's kind of how the game was, too, really fast-paced, fast tempo, kind of just like you're trying to keep your head above water. Luckily, it slowed down weeks thereafter.

When did you find out you were going to start?

Monday or Tuesday.

Did Jets coach Herman Edwards call you into his office?

I was already up there watching tape or something. I think they knew Chad wasn't going to be able to go, but then they got the news on Jay. (Edwards) came down and told me right before he had his press conference. I kind of expected it. But it was an exciting feeling.

Who was at the game from your immediate family?

My dad (Rob) and my wife (Natalie). It meant a lot to me to have someone there, good, bad or indifferent.

Your dad got a lot of television time during the game didn't he?

He always gets a lot when he's there. I gave him a hard time, but I knew he was already hearing it from everybody else. I took it easy on him.

Your uncle, Doug Beaudoin, played professional football. Have you had discussions with him about playing in the league? How has he helped?

I've talked to him sporadically here and there, but he called me the day I got drafted. His message was that the only way to earn respect in that league is to make plays on the field. It doesn't matter what you did in college, where you were drafted, how high. To earn respect from your coaches and players, you have to go out and just do it on a consistent basis. You can't fake anything with those guys.

You started the season as a third-string quarterback. You advanced to the top when starter Pennington and backup Fiedler went down. Where do you see yourself in the Jets' quarterback hierarchy entering next season?

I think it's just up in the air. There are so many things that have to be settled there before they figure out even the quarterback situation. Obviously, a new coach. They're going to have to figure out how Chad's shoulder is doing, figure out what direction they want to go.

What are your preparation goals for next season?

Now I have tape that I can evaluate, so I can go in and watch that tape to see specifically what I need to do to be a better football player and obviously working out, getting bigger, stronger, faster. That's every year. But now I actually have something to go off of. Instead of just saying, 'Well, I think I'd kind of like to work on this,' now I can say, 'This is what I do well and this is what I need to do better.'

The New York sports media "horde" is legendary. How did you adjust to it? Have you dealt with it as well as you had hoped?

It's part of your job, and that's something you learn quick at that level. They can be a very positive thing for NFL players ... . Their job is to write about you, and they help power what we do and gain fan interest. You learn you have to deal with it, but I don't read it, listen to it as much as I can because it can get a little harsh.

Did being at Wisconsin help you prepare a little bit for the media onslaught?

I think Wisconsin helped just because that's a pretty big state, and we went to a lot of Rose Bowls and stuff like that ... . The other thing is it's a competitive news market. It can get a little rough at times. Not everyone is always as nice as the Herald was when I was at Central. You just learn to deal with it, and people are going to write what they're going to write.

Did you feel the Jets were too conservative in some of your starts because you were a first-year starter? Was there a moment during your first start, sometime later, during practice when you realized you'd gained new confidence from your teammates, coaches, etc.?

Early on, they didn't know exactly what to expect, especially against Baltimore. That's the game everyone asks me about. I think part of it was just that we were playing Baltimore. We probably would have had a fairly conservative approach, no matter what. They have a very good defense and their offense was really struggling at the time. We knew if we could ball control and field position and beat them 6-3, that's all we needed to do ... . As time went on, I think I earned some of their respect ... . I think after that game, Vinny (Testaverde) started the next game and I came in a couple of weeks later against Atlanta and then against San Diego and did some good things ... . They had a better idea of what I could do and what my strengths were.

You left one game with a concussion this season against the Broncos in Denver. You had some concussion problems while playing at Wisconsin. Is this a concern for you entering next season?

I was able to come back and play the next week. So far, any concussions I've had, I've recovered well from them. They have all the medical tests ... to see how you're coming back, and I've recovered well enough that I don't think they're having any long-term effects on me at this point. If it does come to that, I'll evaluate where I'm at ... . Certainly, my wife and my mom (Lisa), when I do get them, are very concerned and let me know about it ... . Your head is one thing you can't really mess with it. Anything else you can tape up or put a brace on it and go.

Do you hope to stay with the Jets?

The Jets have been good to me. I have a good relationship with teammates and all that. At the same time, you learn real quick in that league that you can't worry about things outside of your control. It's nice to be in a place where you're comfortable and you've been around, but at the same time you have to be happy as long as you have a job in the league.

How has your time in the pros changed you?

It toughens you in a way. You gain confidence from doing it, and success breeds confidence. Not that I only had success, but being out there and being battle tested I think just gives you an inner confidence.

I know you've given back to the Grand Forks Central program. What types of donations have you made?

Details I don't think really matter ... . I feel so fortunate to have worked with the people I've worked with here and have the kind of teachers and coaches across the board in all things. The people I've been able to work with have been so great that I want to do everything I can to help ensure that kids in the future have that and don't take it for granted.

How would you rank the excitement level you felt for the following first starts: Grand Forks Central, Wisconsin and New York Jets?

There might be more people watching and whatever, but it's still 11 guys in the huddle and playing football. So I think in a lot of ways they're similar, but Central I think was the most anticipated because I waited for that for a long time. At Wisconsin, it just kind of happened. Obviously, with the Jets, it just kind of happened. But I was a Central Knight long before I actually got to put the uniform on. That's probably the one I take the most pride in ... . The NFL is a little more glitz and glamour, but it's a lot more preparation, too. It's a lot more detailed ... . When you get down to it, you're playing with the same principles and fundamentals and all that kind of stuff that I learned across the street ... . I was lucky to have the teaching that I did at a young age, because it's helped all the way through to the highest level.

What did you think of Grand Forks Central winning its first state high school football title in 59 years with a victory against Fargo South last fall?

The coaches have been there so long, they deserve it. I think that they've built a special thing there ... . I was on the phone the whole game. I was on the (Jets) bus and calling my brother (Mike) back and forth. They're good kids, and I'm glad to see them do well.

Brooks Bollinger on ...

Archived