What do you guys think...same old Jets?

NIGHT STALKER

LATEST FIASCO PROVES

JOHNSON SHOULD SELL

By Mike Vaccaro

New York Post

January 21, 2006 -- IF this is the kind of low-rent, two-bit organization Jets owner Woody Johnson is going to run, then he should do one of two things as soon as possible: He should either back out of the deal with the Giants and pull a Walter O'Malley, and maybe let the city of Los Angeles have a full taste of the Jets Experience.

Or he should sell the team.

What we know already is that Johnson surely is not fit to run a football team, even one as miserable and miserly as the Jets. What we know already is that he has neither the savvy to interact with one of football's most passionate fan bases, nor the inclination to even try. What we know already is that Johnson is so tone-deaf to these fans that he's abandoned them, opted to move the team two bridges away from them, and continues to spit on them with his gross mismanagement of his football team.

There is no such thing as prosperity if you bleed green.

On a Tuesday, the Jets usher in a fresh era and a fresh face in soon-to-be-35-year-old Eric Mangini. Jets fans, jonesing for anything resembling good news, instantly embrace him, even though the Jets themselves don't stick around Weeb Ewbank Hall long enough to tell them why they should be so optimistic. Even though, when asked point blank, Mangini informs the world that Terry Bradway will have final say on all personnel moves, which is a bigger buzz-kill than cops knocking on the frat-house door.

And on a Thursday, it is revealed that Mike Heimerdinger will be retained as the offensive coordinator. There are several circumstances under which this could be perceived as good news. If Heimerdinger had said, "I love the Jets, I bleed green blood, and I want to be here when we turn things around," that would be good. If Mangini had said, "I have long been a fan of Mike Heimerdinger, because when I look at his offensive mind I see Charlie Weis'," that would be good. If Heimerdinger was Charlie Weis, that would be good.

None of that happened, however.

What did happen, by all indications, is this:

Johnson saw that Heimerdinger is owed about $2.2 million, and that caused Johnson to catch his breath, despite the fact he could scoop up that amount in the pillows of his couch. As a result, two days after selling Jets fans that Eric Mangini was a sign things were heading in a bold new direction, we are told he isn't even going to be allowed to hire his own offensive coordinator, that he's having one thrust upon him. One who, it should be added, didn't exactly make anyone forget Paul Brown (or even Paul Hackett) last year as an offensive tactician.

One who

It gets to the point where you just want to give up. You cannot make these things up anymore. Any positive energy that was in this organization is gone. I am sure other owners across the league just chuckle at this situation.

You know, that's exactly it. There's about a handful of football teams out there that fall into the "joke" catagory and I'm sorry to say, our Jets are one of them.

You know, that's exactly it. There's about a handful of football teams out there that fall into the "joke" catagory and I'm sorry to say, our Jets are one of them.

This is going to be a long off-season. Even if it goes well I just want this team to get on the field and play well. The only thing thats going to turn this thing around is some quality football. Then of course there's the strong possibility that we don't see any strong football this season or next. It really is hard to root for this team sometimes but what can ya do? When you're hooked, you're hooked.

I'm actually wearing a baseball style Jets jersey today and as soon as I walked in the door one of the doctors I work for (who is a dolphin fan) says "you gotta have some guts to wear that thing" so I just said "gotta take the good with the bad, I've been through worse seasons than this".

Not the same old Jets at all..Some Growing pains on the way to the Super Bowl within 3 to 4 years as I see it!!(Maybe Less) Beat writers love to stir sh*t it makes it easier to sell papers! The Dinger thing will be resolved shortly! He's pissed that he didn't get the nod to be HC! And of course Fans(Being short for fanatics)get into their favorite excercise which is Jumping to conclusions..Try Jumping Jacks it's better for your Health..Especially your Mental Health!! :wink:

Too bad mangini didnt throw the gag order down before Dinger went off to the media. They would have been better off keeping that crap in-house.

Hopefully, Dinger's statements are just some sour grapes, and maybe he adjusts his attitude as things fall into place with a little time.

I can't blame him for feeling disappointed: he got rejected for the HC job for which he interviewed, he may be saddled with a QB with whom he is not enamored, and it's likely he and Mangini didnt see eye to eye when they met.

While Dinger's p.r. may have sustained a blow, I'll bet there are some around the league who think that being miserable with the Jets is a sign of a healthy perspective.

It's strange that coaches want to leave this organization before the team even fires them.

Dinger's a good coach, and I really hope that given some time to cool off, he turns his attitude around and buys back into the program. He may have really thought he deserved the HC job, and was crushed when he was passed over.

He needs to suck it up and get back to work.

Not the same old Jets at all..Some Growing pains on the way to the Super Bowl within 3 to 4 years as I see it!!(Maybe Less) Beat writers love to stir Sh#t it makes it easier to sell papers! The Dinger thing will be resolved shortly! He's pissed that he didn't get the nod to be HC! And of course Fans(Being short for fanatics)get into their favorite excercise which is Jumping to conclusions..Try Jumping Jacks it's better for your Health..Especially your Mental Health!! :wink:

Savage, the thing is, when an organization is in the interviewing process of hiring a new HC (other organizations) they allow holdover assistants to pursue other opportunities...the Jets held there assistant coaches hostage while this procedure went on.

Listen, I'm not saying we can't turn this thing around, but in the mean time, they're reminiscent of all things that have gone bad in the past...this should have been a time for jubilation...it lasted for a couple of days.

Savage, the thing is, when an organization is in the interviewing process of hiring a new HC (other organizations) they allow holdover assistants to pursue other oportunities...the Jets held there assistant coaches hostage while this procedure went on.

Listen, I'm not saying we can't turn this thing around, but in the mean time, they're reminiscent of all things that have gone bad in the past...this should have been a time for jubilation...it lasted for a couple of days.

I'm still Jubilant!! Other Organizations have their problems as well, but they don't have the NY Media throwing out different scenarios on a daily basis! It's guilt by association..Like if a Reporter went into the KC locker room and found a chicken wing..First thing he would think is Uh Oh Hermie don't have his wings in a row yet!! =D>

I'm still Jubilant!! Other Organizations have their problems as well, but they don't have the NY Media throwing out different scenarios on a daily basis! It's guilt by association..Like if a Reporter went into the KC locker room and found a chicken wing..First thing he would think is Uh Oh Hermie don't have his wings in a row yet!! =D>

Well, NY media or not, I don't know of another organization that's hired a new HC and one of their top assistant coaches wantsthe hell out of dodge. :roll:

Well, NY media or not, I don't know of another organization that's hired a new HC and one of their top assistant coaches wantsthe hell out of dodge. :roll:

Usually when a new HC comes in the whole crew goes..When Hermie the Horrible came in the whole crew went with BB to Patland! Dinger is pissed! It will be resolved shortly! :wink:

Savage, the thing is, when an organization is in the interviewing process of hiring a new HC (other organizations) they allow holdover assistants to pursue other opportunities...the Jets held there assistant coaches hostage while this procedure went on.

youre wrong...HENDERSON interviewed with N.O..

and DINGER wasnt called by anyone and neither was WESTOFF....DINGER just figured he would go to DENVER...there was NO phones ringing for him...

youre wrong...HENDERSON interviewed with N.O..

and DINGER wasnt called by anyone and neither was WESTOFF....DINGER just figured he would go to DENVER...there was NO phones ringing for him...

Let's not even go the "NO phones ringing" route. I'd like to see Magnini's phone records.

This smacks of alot of speculation on Vaccaro's part.

I don't think it has anything to do with the money left on Dinger's contract. I have no doubt that if we were to let Dinger out of his contract to pursue other options, Woody would not have to pay him a dime.

Is it possible that Mangini actually wants Dinger to stay? A good OC, with quite a bit of experience would be sort of a binky to a young coach with limited offensive experience.

..Like if a Reporter went into the KC locker room and found a chicken wing..First thing he would think is Uh Oh Hermie don't have his wings in a row yet!! =D>

Nice.....and i thought the BBQ jokes would disappear, like our former chef.

They're ALIVE, and as strong as ever BABY!!!

Looking at the calendar, it tells me that the Jets don't even have a minicamp until sometime after the draft in late April. It's all a big game with the Jets for once playing a little hardball and holding someone to a contract. As long as the offseason conditioning program is up, running and serious in a few weeks, the rest of it is window dressing.

"I'm upset because I came to work for Herman Edwards and I'm having to stay and work for someone not named Herman Edwards.

Also, I'm upset because I interviewed for the [head] job and obviously I was third in the pecking order [behind Mangini and Mike Tice]. So, I wasn't good enough for the job and I still have to stay. I'm not happy with the situation."

I was all for this guy and thought he could still be a great asset once we had the personel to execute an offense. Now he can get the F outta here for all I care. His statement about not being good enough for the HC job and still having to stay is assinine. He came here under a contract to be the OC - STFU and do your job. If association with Herman Edwards is a good thing - be his pen pal- from Denver.

Archived