Tag and trade Abe?

NIGHT STALKER

So says Pasquarelli from ESPN Insider....

Quote:

Arguably the best pass rusher among the pending unrestricted free agents, John Abraham of the New York Jets, almost certainly will be tagged a franchise player for the second spring in a row. It's not that the Jets want to keep Abraham, who had 10

The Jets do not have the personel to run a 3-4 full-time, but Abraham is a PERFECT fit for the 3-4. He is a DeMarcus Ware/Merriman style edge rusher. Anyone that says he can't play in a 3-4 is smoking crack because Abe is built for the 3-4.

And I would only trade him for a 1st rounder. If Herm was still here, I'd trade him for a 2nd, but not with Mangini. I am ready to see what a football mind can do with this weapon that we've had collecting dust for the past five years.

Abraham does seem like he would be a great fit for the 3-4 as the passrushing outside linebacker, but I'll leave those decisions to Mangini and Co.

I'd like to go on record for saying that I would definetly trade John Abraham for a top 21 pick.

Getting his cap number off the books is huge, we would be able to sign some good players, filling some holes with a Guard like Lecharles Bentley, or a 3-4 nose tackle like Sam Adams.

That would allow us to draft BAP with the pick acquired in a trade for Abraham. I only comment on players in the draft that I have seen with my own 2 eyes, and I would run naked through poison ivy if we could snatch Dbrickashaw Ferguson and Chad Greenway with our 2 1st rd picks.

And I have a feeling Abraham will be traded. He probably wont get a longterm deal under Manginis 1st year, and I dont see the Jets paying him 9million with the franchise tag again. They'll tag him, and he'll be smart to sign that tag because it will be his ticket out of town.

The Jets do not have the personel to run a 3-4 full-time, but Abraham is a PERFECT fit for the 3-4. He is a DeMarcus Ware/Merriman style edge rusher. Anyone that says he can't play in a 3-4 is smoking crack because Abe is built for the 3-4.

And I would only trade him for a 1st rounder. If Herm was still here, I'd trade him for a 2nd, but not with Mangini. I am ready to see what a football mind can do with this weapon that we've had collecting dust for the past five years.

that is a great post troll. the problem is that TB set the bar with ellis' contract. abe will want (rightly so after last season) more in SB and garaunteed $$ than Ellis.

the jets cannot pay abe $9M this year. if they can sign abe long-term fo around $20M over 4 years it is very doable. anything more that that and the jets just cannot afford him.

Archived