Pennington vs. Abraham

Jets2878

Let's take a look at a comparison between Chad Pennington and John Abraham and where we are today.

Pennington risked his career and now loads of money for us in 2004. He was clearly injured but went out and played. He did his job putting us in a position to get to the AFC Championship Game (Damn Doug Brien! :Cuss: ). While Abraham decided his personal future was more important. Pennington was out there putting his career on the line and Abe was sitting nursing his injury. Now today, Abraham is about to get a HUGE contract either from us or another team and Pennington will lose a sh*t load of money this year. I think Chad has a legitimit (sp?) gripe about this. We all threw Abe 'under the bus' (seems to be the new catch phrase) during that playoff run and now it seems we are throwing Chad 'under the bus'.

What irony we have this year. It looks as if the Jets may be trying to sign Abraham to the long term deal while Pennington may be heading out the door... all stemming from the 2004 season.

Let's take a look at a comparison between Chad Pennington and John Abraham and where we are today.

Pennington risked his career and now loads of money for us in 2004. He was clearly injured but went out and played. He did his job putting us in a position to get to the AFC Championship Game (Damn Doug Brien! :Cuss: ). While Abraham decided his personal future was more important. Pennington was out there putting his career on the line and Abe was sitting nursing his injury. Now today, Abraham is about to get a HUGE contract either from us or another team and Pennington will lose a sh*t load of money this year. I think Chad has a legitimit (sp?) gripe about this. We all threw Abe 'under the bus' (seems to be the new catch phrase) during that playoff run and now it seems we are throwing Chad 'under the bus'.

What irony we have this year. It looks as if the Jets may be trying to sign Abraham to the long term deal while Pennington may be heading out the door... all stemming from the 2004 season.

Pennington did risk his career. No doubt about that. But as usual with so many Jets fans, there is just needless Abraham bashing. This is a guy who from all accounts could not run at all during the playoffs. He couldn't play; he was hurt. Even if he did somehow play at 40% or whatever he was at, completely sapped of his speed, he would be useless. He would be a pure speed rusher with no speed at all. Not to mention he'd be facing the mauling Steelers who would surely overpower him. It's common knowledge at this point that he was listed as questionable, so the other teams had to at least gameplan for him a little bit. It happens all the time. Abraham just has no clue how to handle the press, so it got him in trouble.

What irony we have this year. It looks as if the Jets may be trying to sign Abraham to the long term deal while Pennington may be heading out the door.

First off, Abe is a Pro Bowl player and PennyBoy is not even close.

PennyBoy got his "long-term" deal two years ago and walked away with a ton of guaranteed money (SB and last two years salary) while Abe has yet to cash in on his huge payday.

If they is any irony in this situation, it's the Jets elected to pay a "nobody" big bucks while they neglected a true Pro Bowl player.

And please, cut the crap about PennyBoy "putting his career on the line". He has been more then adequately compensated for his time spent with the Jets.

I agree with TX - The Jets threw their money at the wrong guy.

Penny has been average at best during those times he has actually been in uniform for the Jets. Get rid of the magic dust from 2002, and Penny has really done ZERO to warrant the contract he has. In other words, if we want to compare apples to oranges, Abe has done more with his 'limited time' on the field then Penny has. Yeah Penny came in last year and played, leading us to the playoffs, that's great, but it also cost us the 2005 season, a season where we legitimately should have competed for the Super Bowl.

Fact is that when healthy, or even 75%, Pennington has been an average QB at best for the Jets and no where near the cash we're paying him. Abe proved this year he can play a full season and as in the past, he made an impact. The only impact Chad made this year was increasing towel sales by 400%, and give us false hope.

Fact is Abe is healthy, Penny isn't. We can honestly sit here and say that Penny will never be 80%, whereas Abe has nothing long term along those lines. This is the NFL, loyalty only goes so far before it bogs down progress

Until the salary cap era ends, this team will never again be "what have you done for me?" rather than "what CAN you do for me?"

It's sentimental stuff like the former that gets us into contracts like Chrebet's.

Abe should be gone. He will never live up to the value of his contract. I'd rather take a much cheaper, pure pass-rushing OLB (McClover-ish) for situational use than keep in someone who's always a liability against the run.

The question is, what makes a dominant defense dominate? Is it any one thing? If it is, is a pass-rush more valuable than stopping people from running on us? The coaching staff will decide, but personally I believe that a true run-stopper at NT will free up both ends AND Robertson & have a greater cumulative effect than a pass-rusher like Abe with a singular skill. Other than Barton, we had our full, first-team defense (including Abe) out there the whole season & they couldn't get off the field.

It's not a matter of yes or no to Abe. It's who else we CAN'T afford because we paid him.

I'd much prefer

4-3: ELLIS - TRUE NT - ROBERTSON - THOMAS

and/or

3-4: ELLIS - TRUE NT - ROBERTSON

And a top G/C or upping the ante on the type of NT we acquire,

to

4-3: ELLIS - DT - ROBERTSON - ABE

3-4: Abe out of the lineup b/c he can't cover a TE or tackle a RB

...and another ragamuffin OL

JMO

I'm not saying that we should keep Pennington over Abe. I'm really pointing out that Abe sat out the 04 playoffs and is now going to get the big payday. When Abe was sitting out pretty much EVERY Jets fan was livid at the idea that he wouldn't suck it up because he was going to be a Free Agent while the team really needed him. Whereas Pennington played through it and quite frankly got us further than we would have with Quincy Carter or Bollinger. Don't forget with that injury Pennington was awesome in the San Diego game.

Yeah Penny came in last year and played, leading us to the playoffs, that's great, but it also cost us the 2005 season

Can you really say that you were thinking about the 2005 season while we were in the 2004 playoffs??? Hindsight is 20/20

Until the salary cap era ends, this team will never again be "what have you done for me?" rather than "what CAN you do for me?"

It's sentimental stuff like the former that gets us into contracts like Chrebet's.

I'm more or less referring to what happened to get to where we are now. I completely understand the salary cap era and what the Jets NEED to do this offseason. I just think that Pennington did lay it on the line in the 04 playoffs while Abe stayed on the sidelines while his team needed him. And yet Abe is getting the huge contract - which he DOES deserve.

If they is any irony in this situation, it's the Jets elected to pay a "nobody" big bucks while they neglected a true Pro Bowl player.

Pennington was not a nobody. He had the freak injury before he signed the contract, but had played really well for us and looked like he was definitely our future. I do agree that they put too much money into him, but it's not like they were giving it to a 3rd string QB at the time.

Fact is that when healthy, or even 75%, Pennington has been an average QB at best for the Jets and no where near the cash we're paying him.

I disagree with him being an average QB at best. Was he one of the top 5?? No. But he wasn't average either. We did win a lot of games with him at the helm. But yes, I do think the Jets gave him much more money than he deserved.

Pennington was not a nobody. He had the freak injury before he signed the contract, but had played really well for us and looked like he was definitely our future. I do agree that they put too much money into him, but it's not like they were giving it to a 3rd string QB at the time.

First off, a freak injury is falling in the shower or almost having your leg amputated by playing in a flag football game in the sand.

PennyBoy's injuries came as a result of playing the game. Injuries on the football field are just that, injuries. Calling his injuries "freaky" is just another excuse because he is so fragile.

It is what it is.

First off, a freak injury is falling in the shower or almost having your leg amputated by playing in a flag football game in the sand.

PennyBoy's injuries came as a result of playing the game. Injuries on the football field are just that, injuries. Calling his injuries "freaky" is just another excuse because he is so fragile.

It is what it is.

What?????? You don't think when Barrow fell on him and he broke his wrist was a freak injury?? I would love it if someone fell on Brady like that and you see you say he's fragile :rolleyes:

What?????? You don't think when Barrow fell on him and he broke his wrist was a freak injury?? I would love it if someone fell on Brady like that and you see you say he's fragile :rolleyes:

No, it wasn't freak at all. It's all part of the game of football.

Brady has taken brutal shots during his 5 year career and has only missed two quarters of football his entire career.

Do you see the difference yet?

Hay whaddya know it's my B*tch from JI, who let you out of the cage? Nice to cya Patfan.:cheers:

Brady has taken brutal shots during his 5 year career and has only missed two quarters of football his entire career.

okay whatever. Anyway, that was the only injury he had up to the point he signed that contract and it was something that wouldn't be reoccuring unlike his shoulder issues he has now.

good post,although i have to agree with others that Abe really couldn't go in the 04 playoffs.I feel bad about what happened to Pennington this past few seasons,he's the ideal team player and role model,but because of that his career's basicly over.

I believe at the time it was still the right move to sign him.He had about a year left on his contract right?He did lead us to our first division title in a while and a freak injury to his non throwing arm didn't really give us much of a reason to believe he was injury prone.You also have to keep in mind he was the face of our franchise,the talk of the town.You can't let a guy that important to your franchise go.

all true. I dont want to pay either though. Abe cause he is a Turd and penny cause he cant throw farther than 20 yards.

PennyBoy got his "long-term" deal two years ago and walked away with a ton of guaranteed money (SB and last two years salary) while Abe has yet to cash in on his huge payday.

And please, cut the crap about PennyBoy "putting his career on the line". He has been more then adequately compensated for his time spent with the Jets.

I agree. How could anyone feel sorry for a multi-millionare who's job is to play a game. Not happening.

all true. I dont want to pay either though. Abe cause he is a Turd and penny cause he cant throw farther than 20 yards.

SJ;

You hit the nail on the head. With all our cap issues, I also do not really want to pay either one the big bucks. If we are going to be a bad team in 2006, I would rather be bad and not have to look forward to long term cap issues also.

How is that ironic? They can both go, as far as I'm concerned.

We are NOT winning a Championship with Pennington at the helm. Anyone who believes otherwise is the epitome of a homer.

As has been stated over and over and over again, JAbe is simply one dimensional. The first rule of defense is to stop the run. While BT's pass-rushing skills leave much to be desired, he's solid against the run, plays hard all of the time and is not oft-injured.

How is that ironic? They can both go, as far as I'm concerned.

We are NOT winning a Championship with Pennington at the helm. Anyone who believes otherwise is the epitome of a homer.

As has been stated over and over and over again, JAbe is simply one dimensional. The first rule of defense is to stop the run. While BT's pass-rushing skills leave much to be desired, he's solid against the run, plays hard all of the time and is not oft-injured.

The irony is Abe sat to protect himself from further injury so he can get paid while Pennington didn't and now Penny will be losing loads of money and Abe will get a huge contract this year. That's the irony.

EDITED to add that the fan perception of Abe was that he wasn't a team player and Pennington was laying it all on the line to get us deep into the playoffs

The irony is Abe sat to protect himself from further injury so he can get paid while Pennington didn't and now Penny will be losing loads of money and Abe will get a huge contract this year. That's the irony.

It's only ironic if you think JAbe sat out in the playoffs to protect his future.

And if that is the case, then tell me why he played the final game of the '05 season? I mean, there was nothing to play for. So why would he play and risk possible injury rather than sit "to protect himself from further injury?"

I'm not a huge Abe fan, but I believe the man was hurtin' and simply couldn't play. He proved that to me by his actions in '05.

It's only ironic if you think JAbe sat out in the playoffs to protect his future.

And if that is the case, then tell me why he played the final game of the '05 season? I mean, there was nothing to play for. So why would he play and risk possible injury rather than sit "to protect himself from further injury?"

I'm not a huge Abe fan, but I believe the man was hurtin' and simply couldn't play. He proved that to me by his actions in '05.

I believe he was hurting too. Don't get me wrong. But word out on the 'street' was he could have played in the playoffs that year. About this year he wanted to prove that he could make it through an entire 16 game schedule. Which he did. I'm not all that anti-Abe. I was just pointing out the difference from 2004 to now. It really wasn't meant to flame Abe or promote Penny. Just how it's odd how things worked out

I believe he was hurting too. Don't get me wrong. But word out on the 'street' was he could have played in the playoffs that year. About this year he wanted to prove that he could make it through an entire 16 game schedule. Which he did. I'm not all that anti-Abe. I was just pointing out the difference from 2004 to now. It really wasn't meant to flame Abe or promote Penny. Just how it's odd how things worked out

Agreed. It is indeed odd...

:cheers:

To show that he could play a 16-game season. Yes there was a risk in injury, but from his point of view he only needed to get credit for starting & not kill himself in the game. Get the 16 starts under his belt & then go into FA/contract negotiations with that going for you.

It is what it is.

my freshman year in high school i was playing football in the back yard of a friends house...somehow hit the ground just right, and it tore my knee open, doctor said he had never seen anything like it before. Now THAT was a freak injury

the knock is he didnt play in 2004 in playoffs cause he had a injury,,,of course he would have playe dif injury free,,

the knock is he didnt WARRIOR up and play hurt,,for fear of further injury,,

its a indicator the the younger ME generation,,not much team oreiented players anymore,,except in NE,,,the Belly tree,,WHICH HOPEFULLY WE HAVE NOW!!!!

To show that he could play a 16-game season. Yes there was a risk in injury, but from his point of view he only needed to get credit for starting & not kill himself in the game. Get the 16 starts under his belt & then go into FA/contract negotiations with that going for you.

Point taken.

Right on Tex..And I never thought Abe should have played if he felt he couldn't help the Team! We already have a RB that does that! Abe is a special game changing player and if not with the Jets will get his bucks somewhere! :rolleyes:

Archived