What's so horrible about trading up for a higher pick??

PETROCK

I've been over this to death. Moving up into or wtihin the top 3 is a ripoff. And our reward for giving up lots of young talent for one player is that the one player takes up more cap room than all those other (traded) draft picks combined.

http://www.jetnation.com/forums/showthread.php?p=211115#post211115

http://www.jetnation.com/forums/showthread.php?p=211284#post211284

We need a lot more than just a qb, we need a foundation that can play in Manginis scheme and we need players who will put the team before themselves (ol, TE and dl and lbs who can do the dirty work)

. Tadinding up bad less new players, trading down good, more new players better foundation. Once the foundation is layed you can get the fancy stuff on the house.

682 posts and still a rookie? How many do you need for veteran status?

I really don't mind if the Jets trade up or down, as long as they draft Offense. Right now, I feel more comfortable with Leinart's abilities than Cutler's, but Cutler has looked good on some film I watched. If I were the Jets, and assuming I want Cutler and Abe is not traded for another first rounder, I'd draft Cutler (QB - Vandy) @ #4 and Nick Mangold (C - Ohio St) @ #35. After that, I'd still draft O-line, a tall WR late, possibly a RB. However, I'd also like to pick up a CB & DT in the middle rounds.

682 posts and still a rookie? How many do you need for veteran status?

I really don't mind if the Jets trade up or down, as long as they draft Offense. Right now, I feel more comfortable with Leinart's abilities than Cutler's, but Cutler has looked good on some film I watched. If I were the Jets, and assuming I want Cutler and Abe is not traded for another first rounder, I'd draft Cutler (QB - Vandy) @ #4 and Nick Mangold (C - Ohio St) @ #35. After that, I'd still draft O-line, a tall WR late, possibly a RB. However, I'd also like to pick up a CB & DT in the middle rounds.

Cutler & Leinart may both be gone by #4

Mangold likely won't be there at #35.

I love the idea of picking up Mangold which is why I'm just fine with Seattle's pick #31; he's rumored to be hot on Pittsburgh's radar at #32 (assuming no one else takes him before that).

A fair trade by the value chart is something like Giants and Chargers did a few years ago

# 1 pick for

3rd rounder

1st rounder in 07

Exactly. Fair by the value chart & the Giants ended up with

Eli Manning with $20M guaranteed

instead of

Ben Roethlisburger with maybe $10M guaranteed (probably less)

2005 round 1 pick (SD took ROY Shawne Merriman)

2004 round 3 pick (SD took starting C Nick Hardwick)

and more in cap room.

Think they'd still make that trade?

Exactly. Fair by the value chart & the Giants ended up with

Eli Manning with $20M guaranteed

instead of

Ben Roethlisburger with maybe $10M guaranteed (probably less)

2005 round 1 pick (SD took ROY Shawne Merriman)

2004 round 3 pick (SD took starting C Nick Hardwick)

and more in cap room.

Think they'd still make that trade?

NO F**KING WAY! Well put.

besides the fact that we need a lot more than just a QB, it's been proven that it really doesnt make a difference... the top picks are really a crapshoot, look at harrington...

look at eli manning, who's playing better, him or roethlisberger?

Drafting a QB is a crap shoot, but then again Herm drafed Nugent who was supposed to be great & he sucks.

man, we need a QB. end of subject. seriously, who is going to lead this team? chad noodle arm pennington, or how about patrick ramsey? ask joe gibbs this questionfor a good laugh. hes probably laughing at everyone now who is speculating that since we signed ramsey, we nolonger need to draft a QB at #4. and he's right. oh wait.....i forgot about brooksey. oh yeah, hes the next signal caller for the jets rebuilt franchise. lol. mangini is too smart to let this opportunity go. we are drafting a QB at #4. its a no-brainer. if chad was healthier, maybe not. but the way things are right now, we cannot afford not to.

GO MATT LEINART!!!!!

What's so horrible about trading up for a higher pick?? Maybe we can draft a QB who can actually help the Jets.

--Turns multiple potential assets into one potential asset.

--Takes less severe risk (non QB's) and turns it into severe risk (QB's, all of whom have massive potential drawbacks and problems).

--Takes less cost, and turns it into massive costs.

Winning begins in the trenches, and our trenches suck. Fix the O-line now (and we are in a GREAT position to do so), fix the QB AFTER you have some chance to protect him. Leinart/Young/Culter are simply NOT enough of a sure thing, not special enough, not potentially GREAT enough to warrant such risks and costs in the middle of what is, like it or not, a REBUILDING time for our franchise.

This is especially true since we can easily get a quality potential QB like Croyle/Jacobs/Whitehurst in the early third round, and give them a season to sit behind Ramsey/Penny while out O-line devleops, and we see what we have left in Chadwick, and what we have in Ramsey. Regardless, we NEED a quality O-line, and picking O-line this year starts that process.

Trust me, there is ALWAYS another highly ranked, over-hyped QB to look at in the NEXT draft. It's not like if we don;t get one now, thats it, we have to play TE's behind center forevermore......

Archived