ALL Mike Vick News (Merged 39X)

StillerPaul

Mike Vick, Bad-ass Thug or Misunderstood City Kid  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Mike Vick, Bad-ass Thug or Misunderstood City Kid

• Bad-ass thug
    • Misunderstood City kid

Now here is a very debatable QB, IMO.

How many here actually think he is among the elite QB's in the game?

Did he deserve the pro-bowl selection last year, in your mind?

If youre Atlanta and Matt Schaub continues to impress, how long before ya give him a shot to lead the team?

Do ya think Vick eventually settles in as a pocket passer ala Steve Young and Donovan McNabb?

This has nothing at all to do with race or ethnicity IMO. I'm talking about him strictly as a football player. I am of the strong opinion that if he were used as a true WR, or used similar to how Bill Cowher used Kordell Stewart his first couple of seasons, he can be way more valuable to his team. I can't think of one CB that could cover this guy and keep up in the open field. I also think that he'd be a sure fire lock for the HOF as a WR/Scatback.

Thoughts ??

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If youre Atlanta and Matt Schaub continues to impress, how long before ya give him a shot to lead the team?

Do ya think Vick eventually settles in as a pocket passer ala Steve Young and Donovan McNabb?

This has nothing at all to do with race or ethnicity IMO. I'm talking about him strictly as a football player. I am of the strong opinion that if he were used as a true WR, or used similar to how Bill Cowher used Kordell Stewart his first couple of seasons, he can be way more valuable to his team. I can't think of one CB that could cover this guy and keep up in the open field. I also think that he'd be a sure fire lock for the HOF as a WR/Scatback.

Thoughts ??

Vick has a rocket for an arm, and he can play, but I don't think he's "elite" as a QB. He's a dynamic football player, and I'd go so far as to call him a superstar. He's fun to watch, I'll tell you that. I don't see any reason why he couldn't win a championship. He wins more than he loses, and if Atlanta ever gets a #1 seed they could easily go all the way. As for the pro-bowl, that means nothing one way or another to me whether it's Vick or John Abraham. It's a popularity contest.

Vick has great athlethicism but no I do not think he will ever be an elite QB in the pure sense. His ability to make plays though is something few can bring to the table- good or bad

Vick will always be in the pro bowl cause of his persona. All the little gangsta wannabe teens look up to him, so he's pretty much a lock no matter what he does during the season.

yeah that pretty much summed it up right there..

plus i agree that without his legs, he's nothing in the NFL.

duckett, dunn, crumpler, and atlanta's D won they're games. Matt schaub is 10 x better than Vick. and could make that team a real thret.. and Vick would help the team out alot more at WR like steelerpaul said.

duckett, dunn, crumpler, and atlanta's D won they're games. Matt schaub is 10 x better than Vick. and could make that team a real thret.. and Vick would help the team out alot more at WR like steelerpaul said.

I guess Terrel Davis, Shannon Sharpe, and Denver's D won they're games, too.:rolleyes:

How can you say schaub is 10x better than Vick? He has no NFL experience to draw on or make a comparison.

Maybe he is better than Vick, but 10x???

10x?

So what is Tom Brady, 25x better than Vick? :lol:

The bottom line regarding Michael Vick is very simple. If he could not run like he does, he would not be in the NFL as a QB. That is how bad his passer skills are.

Should he be a probowler? Sure, especially given that the probowl is derived from notoriety more so than actual skill. He generates excitement, and the probowl is mostly comprised of exciting players over vanilla players that nonetheless are the best at their position.

Is Michael Vick an elite QB? Not even close.

IMPO and from what I have seen over and over again at the Georgia Dome. Vick will always be debatable as a QB!

He is considered a multi threat QB and one of the most excited players in the NFL, by their standards right now.

He makes them $$$ and is the only rookie to have his jersey rank among the NFL's top 10 sales in the country.......

Every Year we hear as Vick is progressing as a QB...I've given up and decided it is better to let Vick be Vick (and I think the coaching staff thinks also).

Who better fits the shoes as The Falcons Bread and Butter play is a handoff (or Fake) to a running back to the right side, then Vick rollouts to the opposite side of the run(almost a naked bootleg) Where he has the option to pass or run....

Vick of course is better on the run than in the pocket. He has an extremely strong arm for a Lefty, and Vick has been throwing more deep passes this year than last......

The key to stopping the Falcons Defense is to stop the run and force Vick to beat you from the pocket as a passer. Most teams use a "mush rush" on passing situations, designed to contain Vick in the pocket, but not force him out of it!!! Vick has alot on his plate right now, dealing with his west coast offensive coaches--LMAO

As for Shaub, he really understands the system better than Vick at the moment IMPO. Not a real strong arm, but very accurate on short passes. He is better than the average back-up.

Im really not a big fan of Vick. He has blazing speed, but in the cold on a slick field it doesnt mean squat. A good example is 2 years ago in the NFC championship game in Philly. The Eagles had no problem containing him and dominated the entire game.

LOL....He is an insider man, and hates de cold!!!! LOL:baby:

Cold weather ruins his games, I totally agree w/ya on that...

Remeber you dealing with a QB that played College at Virgina Tech and lived in the south his whole life?

He won't ever leave Atlanta!!!! I can guarantee that. That state has his name on every stinken billboard, substation and all the local radio stations..He's their mark-up and Ted Turners new best friend....LOL

You know Vick's cousin is QB Aaron Brooks, right?

duckett, dunn, crumpler, and atlanta's D won they're games. Matt schaub is 10 x better than Vick. and could make that team a real thret.. and Vick would help the team out alot more at WR like steel

erpaul said.

We call them and Atlanta knows them by-- DVD's (Dunn,VIck,Duckett)

Your right on their Defense winning the games.....;)

The Falcons play a 4-3 defense that sacrifices size for speed. They don't have any defensive linemen over 300 pounds...LOL

( Their former GB-D coordinator) strategy is that its okay to allow yards, but no points( Falcons D was in the middle of the pack in yards allowed, but at the top of the league in fewest points allowed). They look for the big play on defense(fumble,sack, int. etc) and don't mind giving up the yards in pursuit of the big play!!!

The Falcons front 7 is extremley agressive, very underated!!! while the Defensive backs tend to stay back in a soft zone coverage. Falcons will give up the short pass almost every time!!!!

Living in Atlanta, I had no choice but to watch them play all the time....Couldn't wait for my teams to play their butts off too!!! So you start remebering their stradegy real fast.......

wow seahawkspatschick, i'm impressed on how well you know the game.. i'm just in aww.. the falcons are a great team, i just don't care for michael vick as a quaterback.. i have a freind who is a die hard falcons fan, and seeing i get the football package, when the jets arrn't on, we'll watch the falcons.. and when i saw schuab play I was verry impressed. He managed the game verry well, and made the right throws, and was still light on his feet if he needed to scramble for a few yards, he's going to make some team verry happy one day. but I doubt I'll ever be on the michael Vick band wagon..

and Jet moses, yes Tom brady is 25 times better than vick lol, the 10x thing was a figure of speech.. common u had to know that.. schaub is a better "quarterback" than vick in my eyes, that doesn't mean a better football player.. I hate the pats as much as the next jet fan, but credit has to be givin where credit is due, and tom brady wins games, and (gulp) championships, theres no one in the game today on his level, and it pains me to say it. it's a disgrace to mention michael vicks name in the same sentance as tom brandy, and john elway as u hinted to..

LOL....He is an insider man, and hates de cold!!!! LOL:baby:

Cold weather ruins his games, I totally agree w/ya on that...

Remeber you dealing with a QB that played College at Virgina Tech and lived in the south his whole life?

That's a fair point, but they said the same thing about Favre, that he'd never excel in Green Bay because he was a Mississippi kid.

Look, the bottom line with Vick is, he wins. That's the whole idea, right? It really doesn't matter how you win, just win. As a QB, he's unorthodox. But you can design a scheme around his skills, and win in the NFL.

That's a fair point, but they said the same thing about Favre, that he'd never excel in Green Bay because he was a Mississippi kid.

Look, the bottom line with Vick is, he wins. That's the whole idea, right? It really doesn't matter how you win, just win. As a QB, he's unorthodox. But you can design a scheme around his skills, and win in the NFL.

JM,

There is a big difference between playing in a dome and occasionally playing in the cold and growing up in the deep south and aclimating to a cold climate because you play in the cold all the time. Favre got used to the weather in GreenBay. On the Other hand, Vick is from a warm climate and plays indoors.

Lame argument. Just like saying that Big Ben had nothing to do with Pittsburgh's success. The QB is the most important position on the field. I don't see Vick ever winning a Super Bowl, but you could do a lot worse at QB.

Most folks i debate this with don't wanna give Kordell Stewart credit for similar athletic skills to Vick. But us Steeler fans know all too well what Kordell had his first couple of years in the league. Vick is a tad faster but thats all he has on Kordell circa 1995. Successful QB's in this league are decent athletes, but they are really good at only one thing in my mind. Ball distribution. It's the QB's job, plain and simple. Get and keep everyone on the same page and hit the open guy with the ball, and ya stand a good chance to win. This formula, above all others, wins Super Bowls. To me it makes little sense to have your best athlete play the QB position than to utilize his skills at other positions where you can maximize his talents. I wouldn't say that Schaub is that much better of a QB, but from what he's shown he's a better ball distributor. Look at the entire history of the Super Bowl. I bet every single team thats won it, won it without a great athlete at the QB position.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...
Falcons | Vick will not face criminal charges

Mon, 22 Jan 2007 12:05:37 -0800

11Alive.com reports Atlanta Falcons QB Michael Vick will not face criminal charges after he was stopped Wednesday, Jan. 17, at an airport for carrying what was believed to be a tainted water bottle, according to Miami-Dade County State Attorney Katherine Fernandez Rundle. Lab tests conducted on the bottle found no evidence of drugs, according to a memo by Deisy Rodriguez, an assistant state attorney. "Based on the lab's findings, the Miami-Dade State Attorney's Office is not filing criminal charges," the memo stated.

What was in the bottle?

That makes sense. That's why he had a water bottle with the cut in the middle and why he was reluctant to hand it over. I tell ya, the NFL is one powerful organization.

Hey Don.

Not as powerful as yours.

Send somebody over to take care of this punk.

That makes sense. That's why he had a water bottle with the cut in the middle and why he was reluctant to hand it over. I tell ya, the NFL is one powerful organization.

what would be the motivation for miami police to hide evidence? oh yea, its all the falcon fans in the dept:banned:

So, he's conceding that he, with great difficulty and some expense, doctored a water bottle to carry things onto an airplane(where you cannot carry a water bottle anyway) for no reason at all? It's not the end of the world that he won't be charged with a very minor crime at worst. Doesn't change the fact that he's a complete moron.He has something like $117 million in football and endorsement contracts, and he's willing to risk all that to smoke pot? I wouldn't want him selling hot dogs much less playing QB, with that little common sense.

So, he's conceding that he, with great difficulty and some expense, doctored a water bottle to carry things onto an airplane(where you cannot carry a water bottle anyway) for no reason at all? It's not the end of the world that he won't be charged with a very minor crime at worst. Doesn't change the fact that he's a complete moron.He has something like $117 million in football and endorsement contracts, and he's willing to risk all that to smoke pot? I wouldn't want him selling hot dogs much less playing QB, with that little common sense.

not to defend him or anything, but maybe money isn't the most important thing in his life? it shouldn't be.

Everyone knows that someone in your posse is supposed to be carrying the *cough* *cough* water bottle for you. Where do peoplethink the expression "to carry water for" comes from? Egads!

Don't all posses have the designated friend? You know, the "friend" who's stuff the superstar just happend to be carrying?

I dont know about you guys, but I am genuinly pissed off that there not saying what it is that was in the water bottle. I realize this whole story is absolutely ridiculous, but obv. his story doesent add up and something shady was going down....anyone have any theory's?

Archived