Patriots Have Few Holes to Fill

PatsFanTX

Getting issue-oriented

Patriots need answers to these five questions

July 9, 2006

All is relatively quiet on the NFL front, although it won't be for long. While personnel men such as the Patriots' Scott Pioli and his aide, Jack Mula, scramble to get rookies signed and disgruntled veterans such as Deion Branch appeased, most offices are quiet. Even a workaholic like Bill Belichick finds his way to Nantucket for a few days this time of year, albeit with a video-playing laptop in one hand and a tome on the evolution of the Notre Dame Box in the other.

With so little activity, this seemed a good time to examine five issues the Patriots must cope with this season.

1. Tom Brady can throw it, but who's going to catch it? For years it's been fashionable to say you don't waste top picks on wide receivers. In the case of the Patriots, they have drafted five wide receivers in seven drafts under Belichick, including Chad Jackson in the second round in April. Of the five, only Branch and 2002 seventh-rounder David Givens have been productive, which perhaps makes the point.

Givens left in free agency without much of a fight once the Tennessee Titans drove his price out of sight, and P.K. Sam, we hardly knew ye, which leaves Brady with an unhappy Branch, Troy Brown, Chargers reject Reche Caldwell, and, one has to hope, a productive Jackson. Perhaps if Jackson starts fast Caldwell will resent seeing another University of Florida receiver having more success than he's had and raise both his game and his work ethic, but there's little reason to believe that will happen.

The bright spot is that perhaps tight end Ben Watson will emerge as another Tony Gonzalez. Certainly Watson has shown the athletic flashes that give one hope that if he stays healthy he could be special. Considering the rest of the receiving corps, he'd better be.

2. If Laurence Maroney can run, where will Corey Dillon hide? Broncos coach Mike Shanahan believed Maroney was the best back in the draft and Belichick must have shared that opinion. That may not be the death knell for Dillon but if he thinks that phone call from Belichick assuring him all was well or the reading of his accomplishments during a post-practice media session will make a difference this fall, he's sadly mistaken.

Jerry Glanville used to say that NFL stood for Not For Long and Dillon needs to understand that and be productive. While his nine-year record is exemplary, over the last three years Dillon had the greatest individual season of his career between the two worst.

To his credit, Dillon worked out diligently in the offseason to rehab his bad calf and troublesome ankle. If he stays healthy he could have a resurrection, but there's a problem with 32-year-old backs. Once they start to break down they usually don't reverse that process.

If Maroney is what Shanahan thinks, he was a brilliant pick, but if he gets the ball and does something with it, how will Dillon react? He has been a pretty good soldier since arriving in New England but he has a checkered past when unhappy and was clearly peeved when Heath Evans had a big day against Miami and was surrounded by reporters afterward.

3. Who will do what Adam did? Belichick allowed Adam Vinatieri to leave for relative chump change, especially for a team with $15 million of salary cap space. One has to assume he believes Vinatieri has seen his best days. But if that's the case, why bring in Martin Gramatica, who looked done two years ago in Tampa, was unemployed last season, has never kicked in bad weather, and is temperamental and considered by those who knew him with the Buccaneers as an ``I" guy, not a ``we" guy? With the pressure Vinatieri's replacement will be under and the terrible conditions in Foxborough late in the season, Gramatica doesn't seem like the right fit.

Perhaps fourth-round choice Stephen Gostkowski is the answer but you can count on one foot the number of rookie kickers who have come in and been as reliable as Vinatieri. This seems to be a mighty big gamble.

4. Who's your cover corner? A year ago, the Patriots decided Ty Law was overpaid and he ended up leading the AFC in interceptions with 10, earning $6 million in the process. The Patriots paid a combination of Duane Starks, Chad Scott, and Tyrone Poole nearly as much to play not half as well. As business decisions go it wasn't a good one, which is why they're trying to woo Law to return for short money.

Unless Ellis Hobbs's exemplary play as a rookie improves, they don't have a shutdown corner. One hope is that Randall Gay, coming off an ankle injury, turns promise into consistent production.

Law is leaning toward Kansas City but he's a bottom-line guy, so the best offer will decide where he lands.

5. How do you deal with Dom and Daunte? Perhaps the biggest problem looms in Miami, where Belichick disciple Nick Saban has the Dolphins back in contention. They won their final six games of 2005 and traded for former Pro Bowl quarterback Daunte Culpepper. Culpepper is coming off a terrible season and a worse knee injury but two years ago he produced 5,123 yards of total offense and 41 touchdowns.

The Dolphins also hired former Texans coach Dom Capers as defensive coordinator. The last time Capers was fired as a head coach, he built a defense in Jacksonville that went to the AFC Championship game. These are changes the Patriots can't do anything about so they need to find answers to the first four questions. If they do, the fifth will take care of itself.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Can't hate being in a great position to make another run at the Super Bowl.:cheers:

Discuss.

Love how Ron Borges continues to get his digs in whenever he can. It is no secret that he hates Belichick and Belichick hates him. Ron Borges is an extreme hack with a personal vendetta and agenda.

Love how Ron Borges continues to get his digs in whenever he can. It is no secret that he hates Belichick and Belichick hates him. Ron Borges is an extreme hack with a personal vendetta and agenda.

Funny that Borges doen't think the Pats have any issues at LB.:eek:

In every smart man's observation of New England it reads somewhat like this:

"Bill Belichick has lost pieces before and plugged other guys in and gone foward. But losing Adam Vinatieri is going to be a big hit for the Patriots."

Don't believe it Pats fans? Nobody cares, because it will be shown on the field.

The Pats are fortunate to be in the AFC LEast. They kept the most important core players, the front three, but Biesel may not ever get the hang of playing ILB in the 3-4. If Vrabel has to play inside again....

The timing is right though, a soft schedule will give Maroney and Jackson some time to learn, and they could be fully ready by playoff time. In the meantime, I'm not sure Dillon has enough in the tank.

Branch always misses playing time, the question is how much. Without him, there isn't a proven WR on the roster. I chuckled when this guy called Watson the next Gates. Watson is good, but he's not an elite TE like Gates is. Nor will he ever be, most likely. Pro bowl, OK, but not elite.

Harrison remains a big question, and the rest of the D backfield has at the very least, big question marks, and could be the Pats achilles heel. Maybe, for the first time, it will fall entirely upon Brady's shoulders to win close games, instead of getting Vinateirri close enough for a 43 yard field goals to win. If Gramatica wins that job, he'll cost them two games.... watch.

Bellichick is a master at plugging holes, but this year may be his biggest challenge yet. More than any other team in the NFL, Law would improve the Pats the most, despite the fact he isn't what he once was.

Last year, and lately, Bellichick has missed the target with his low cost replacement players, like David Terrell. Caldwell isn't the answer either. can Dillon hold up? Will Maroney be ready? Can Jackson have a notable rookie year? Can Biesel play ILB? Will Harrison be OK? Will the patchwork of unsung DB's be able to respond? If all the answers here are yes, they are good to go. I think that may be a bit much to ask.

I'd say the biggest concern for the pats is how Harrison returns from his injury,considering his age and the severity of the injury i don't expect him to return to form.Safety is perhaps the most important position on the Pats D,without a top play from the safety position I can't see the Pats D returning to elite form.

I'd say the biggest concern for the pats is how Harrison returns from his injury,considering his age and the severity of the injury i don't expect him to return to form.Safety is perhaps the most important position on the Pats D,without a top play from the safety position I can't see the Pats D returning to elite form.

IMHO, this is the main issue. Along with Tedy, these two were the straws that stirred the Patriots' defensive kool aid. Geno is a real good player, but when Rodney went down, Geno could not provide Rodney's leadersahip ability and he subsequently struggled. While there are obviously questions about LBers, Belichick's inaction might speak volumes for Beisel and the other players on the roster. When you bring back a defensively challeneged Safety you gladly got rid of two years ago, where there is smoke there is fire.

thunder

Good Points.

As I said above, I think Belichick's inaction in regarding signing/drafting LBers, could be a positive sign. Short of Ted Johnson or McGoo coming back, there is no instant answer there. Beisel, Claridge and Banta-Cain have been in the Patriots' system for at least two years. In the Patriots' complicated system, it is highly improbable anyone they drafted or signed would have a better grasp of it then these three. Now Mincey will have a year to develop and hopefully assume McGoo's role.

Branch and Watson. Last year was the first year, Branch did not miss anytime. He did not play in any preseason games, before hitting the regular season. This was done by design for that very reason. All in all, I am less concerned about his holdout or the Patriots' depth there. He can apparently turn it on. I will not say Watson will be as good as Gates, but he has a chance to be. He is uber athletic. He has been a good receiver. He will probably not put up Gates' type numbers by design.The reason why I am not concerned about the Patriots' lack of wideout depth is their athletic TEs. The Patriots' have two athletic catching TEs, who are good at blocking. They drafted another athletic TE with good hands and a tweener, who catches the ball. I said this before and will say it again, if the Patriots do not run a majority of their offense out of a 2-TE formation, Belichick is f'ing up. Their offense should be awesome. I am talking Colts' type awesome. It should versatile and able to adjust to any type of D thrown at it.

Harrison and Kicker.

I covered Harrison above and IMHO is their biggest issue. There is a bit of misinformation regarding AV. Jets' fans would have you believe he kicked the winning points in every game they have won since 2001. He has made some big kicks, but for everyone he made, Brady has also driven the team down for a winning TD. Believe it or not, Brady has won some games with his arm. In 7 of their 11 victories last year he threrw for over 250.

Belichick and Pioli's FA wizardry.

Belichik and Pioli have misfired on quite a few FA signings. Chad Brown and Duane Stark were not the first or last misses. That Sporting News cited Stark's loss as one of the reasons they gave the Patriots an F in offseason moves. I know I liked his signing. As I did, when Donald Hayes signed. Factor in three deciphils shopping in the same section and for similar players, the market is getting a little barren. I think that is why the Patriots have been less active in free agency over the past two years. There days of finding a low cost high reward player like Rodney or Bryan Cox are probably as good as gone. They need to find anohter Vrabel or develop a player from within.

The bottomline, close to 85% of the team is under 30. At least 19 of 22 starting positions have Superbowl experienced players mannning that spot. As long as Brady and Belichick are in place, the Patriots will be contenders. They are not going to win it every year, but they will have a say in who does.

What significant upgrades have there been to a team that was an abject failure last year?

You just wish the Jets would have "failure" seasons like the Pats did last year.:eek:

To answer your question, Maroney, Jackson, Thomas and O'Callaghan.

Another superb draft by the Pats.:cheers:

dumbass Pats fans refuse to accept the obvious-it's over-I said it befor and I'll say it again the roster is not scaring anyone.When the Jets beat you this year it's gonna be fun reading.The friggin DOLPHINS beat you last season-disgraceful oh yea future HOFer Matt Cassell was at the helm-now THAT was a curious move

You just wish the Jets would have "failure" seasons like the Pats did last year.:eek:

TX-How much further did the Patriots advance, to the Jets season in 2004? Would you categorize, or have you, the Jets 2004 season as a success? I can't recall that.

Ahhh, the draft. The elixir of the downtrodden, giving hope with college boys. Of all those Minnesota running backs taken in the draft, which has been the real difference maker in teh NFL?

Are your expectations of Maroney, to be better than Dillon of 2004?

What significant upgrades have there been to a team that was an abject failure last year?

Define abject? By Patriots or Jets definitions?

I think a team that is riddled with injuries and manages to win 10 games and a playoff had a decent run. Not as good as 2001, 2003 or 2004, but an ok run given all the circumstances.

Upgrade? How about health?

Define abject? By Patriots or Jets definitions?

I think a team that is riddled with injuries and manages to win 10 games and a playoff had a decent run. Not as good as 2001, 2003 or 2004, but an ok run given all the circumstances.

Upgrade? How about health?

By TX's definition in past years.

dumbass Pats fans refuse to accept the obvious-it's over-I said it befor and I'll say it again the roster is not scaring anyone.When the Jets beat you this year it's gonna be fun reading.The friggin DOLPHINS beat you last season-disgraceful oh yea future HOFer Matt Cassell was at the helm-now THAT was a curious move

You are pinning our downfall on a QB that threw 25 college passes and came within a dropped two point conversion of taking the next big thing to OT?

Exactly, who is the dumbass?

going back over the game recaps from last season Vinateri WON 3 games for the Pats 2 on last second FG's and the other where he scored 3 to beat Miami-Are you guys confident that Gramatica can do the same-I'm not in fact the 48 yarder and 43 yarders that won games in the waning seconds with Gramatica kicking would have made you .500 team which is right about where I expect you to be this year.

By TX's definition in past years.

True. My Patriots DVD collection and T-shirt collection did not expand this year. I cannot honestly think why a fan would wear a division championship T.

SFLa

What about 2004? We won 17 games with largely the same team and AV did not factor in as many if any games? He did factor in big last year when he missed that 43 yarder when we were down 11? I seem to recall he missed a few makeable kicks in the Superbowl versus Carolina. Made a game alot closer then it needed to be.

What does 2005 have to do with this year? Unless, Bruschi, Harrison, Dillon, Koppen, Light, Graham, Seymour and Gay miss the same amount of time, AV's loss will be minimal.

Unless, Bruschi, Harrison, Dillon, Koppen, Light, Graham, Seymour and Gay miss the same amount of time, AV's loss will be minimal.

So last year, like in the KC loss, when a certain Pats QB was trying to do too much after the injury to a CB, you are essentially saying:

Last year Brady tried to fill the Gay hole all by himself but just ended up getting beat.

Homos.

True. My Patriots DVD collection and T-shirt collection did not expand this year. I cannot honestly think why a fan would wear a division championship T.

SFLa

What about 2004? We won 17 games with largely the same team and AV did not factor in as many if any games? He did factor in big last year when he missed that 43 yarder when we were down 11? I seem to recall he missed a few makeable kicks in the Superbowl versus Carolina. Made a game alot closer then it needed to be.

What does 2005 have to do with this year? Unless, Bruschi, Harrison, Dillon, Koppen, Light, Graham, Seymour and Gay miss the same amount of time, AV's loss will be minimal.

you're right 2004 but there were still a few

9/9 vs Colts he wins the game with a 43 yarder with .42 on the clock

on 9/19 they win 23-12 AV kicks 3 FGs and 2 PATs-the point difference

on 10/24 they beat the Jets 13-7 2 FGs and an EP again-the point difference

then on 11/22 v Miami a 27-19 win he does the same w/9 points on 2 and 2

not to mention his FG made the point difference IN that 2004 season SB v Philly

truth is he wasn't needed in as many critical game situations in 04 b/c NE was at their best and were blowing them out and the schedule was pretty weak too if ya go back and look

A early 06 prediction:

Indianapolis @ New England, Week 9, SNF...

Colts-20, Patriots-17

Vinatieri a nice GW FG as time expires after Gramatica misses a 35 yarder just 2 minutes before.:character42:

A early 06 prediction:

Colts-20, Patriots-17

Vinatieri a nice GW FG as time expires after Gramatica misses a 35 yarder just 2 minutes before.:character42:

If the Pats high-octane offense only hangs 17 on the Colts pathetic defense, then they are in trouble.

You left out the friggin kicker ;)

A early 06 prediction:

Colts-20, Patriots-17

now THAT would be poetic justice

Not at all.

As the season goes on, I'd like to see Maroney get as many carries as Dillon in each game.

This will be Dillon's last year as a Patriot.

I would hardly attach the term "upgrade" to Maroney then.

Technically. The Jets "upgraded" by drafting Clemmons, then.

We both realize we can't say that.

I would hardly attach the term "upgrade" to Maroney then.

Technically. The Jets "upgraded" by drafting Clemmons, then.

We both realize we can't say that.

I agree with that.

However, who do you think will see more playing time their rookie year, Clemens or Maroney?

I agree with that.

However, who do you think will see more playing time their rookie year, Clemens or Maroney?

A RB will automatically see more time than a rookie qb, 90% of the time.

That does not qualify that he will do well, though.

Maroney will find, just like all of the other high profile Minny RB, that the pro game is different. They don't get to run in that domed fast turf. They also have had a heck of an o-line in Minny to help RB's.

Maroney, on grass at PSU was not pretty. Neither was at Iowa.

And I just love how dumbass Jet fans keep saying the Patriots are "old".

Yeah, because you are old in the area that made you a championship team!!

Who do you guys have at LB again?

Dude, the Pats have never been built to win in a shootout manner. That was their downfall last season. Your defense has only gotten worse since then with the loss of McGinest.

By the way, who's replacing Willie anyway? Buju-Cantain or something like that?

Your run is over.

A RB will automatically see more time than a rookie qb, 90% of the time.

That does not qualify that he will do well, though.

Maroney will find, just like all of the other high profile Minny RB, that the pro game is different. They don't get to run in that domed fast turf. They also have had a heck of an o-line in Minny to help RB's.

Maroney, on grass at PSU was not pretty. Neither was at Iowa.

That's the main reason why I think the Pats were out of their freaking minds for taking Maroney over DeAngelo Williams.

The Panthers got the steal of round 1 with Williams at #27.

I see you came over for some actual football discussion UT-all the Pats have is that we suck-their run is over and I have a thread here with their current roster-peruse it and tell me what YOU think-me?I don't see a dominating team or one that is better than ours

Yeah, because you are old in the area that made you a championship team!!

Who do you guys have at LB again?

Dude, the Pats have never been built to win in a shootout manner. That was their downfall last season. Your defense has only gotten worse since then with the loss of McGinest.

By the way, who's replacing Willie anyway? Buju-Cantain or something like that?

Your run is over.

Untouchable...

I have been saying this for awhile. They had it nice. I hope they had fun. It is over though.

They will look back on it and be proud. It is a shame these Pats fans are in such a state of denial though.

The Pats not better than the Jets?:eek:

Could be the most ridiculous thing that you have posted on this message board.

you know as well as anybody that the difference in personell in minisculein this league-I see question marks from both teams even Brady coming off that surgery has to give pause to any resonable thinking football fan-Dillon??? One proven WR-again the kicking situation just to name a few

Archived