Beckett = Ace

JonEJet

Of course VORP is a meaningless stat because it makes you look stupid.

No, because it is a useless stat. Show me the great baseball players by VORP. It is obviously a poor stat if Beckett is rated that low and Pierzynski that high.

Yes I'll take Gonzalez right now over Hanley. See on the Marlin he has more opportunity to use his speed etc but on the Sox it would be wasted. Gonzalez is a Gold Glover, something Hanley will never be, and Hanley wouldn't have been moved if he wasn't expendable. Gonzalez is a perfect fit into the defense and clubhouse. Hanley struggled mightily and has done well in a watered down NL, I don't think he'd fair as well in the AL or in the pressure of Boston.

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 year later...
This may be the worst post in this forum since the days of BigJermaine.

It looks good this year but Hanley is gonna be a top 5 player in baseball for 12 years, beckett will revert to his career numbers over the long haul and Lowell will go back to being old and done.

It looks good this year but Hanley is gonna be a top 5 player in baseball for 12 years, beckett will revert to his career numbers over the long haul and Lowell will go back to being old and done.

Is it tough living in a black and white world?

I'll take the 23 year old superstar SS over a inconsistent pitcher and a done 3B having a fluke year in a hitters park but thats just me.

And I'll take the 27 year old ace who is now 5-2 in the postseason, with 3 CG shutouts and a 1.78 ERA.

Oh, btw, he just went 20-7 with an ERA of 3.27 in the toughest division in baseball, and he's going to win the Cy Young.

I'm not denying that Ramirez is a hell of a player. However, there is not one single person in baseball that thought he was going to be this good. In fact, once he got to AAA, he struggled mightily. There were many Sox fans, myself included, who thought that he was way overhyped. And you know how Sox fans like to hype up their prospects.

And I'll take the 27 year old ace who is now 5-2 in the postseason, with 3 CG shutouts and a 1.78 ERA.

Oh, btw, he just went 20-7 with an ERA of 3.27 in the toughest division in baseball, and he's going to win the Cy Young.

I'm not denying that Ramirez is a hell of a player. However, there is not one single person in baseball that thought he was going to be this good. In fact, once he got to AAA, he struggled mightily. There were many Sox fans, myself included, who thought that he was way overhyped. And you know how Sox fans like to hype up their prospects.

Maybe if Beckett didn't get BOMBED last year you would've MADE the playoffs. His career stats are what he is (ie not as good as he pitched this year) And if he wins the Cy Young it won't be because he deserved it.

I'll take the 23 year old superstar SS over a inconsistent pitcher and a done 3B having a fluke year in a hitters park but thats just me.

Inconsistent pitcher? Seriously?

Done 3B? Don't be surprised if he is on the Yankees wish list when A-Rod opts out.

Your blind homerism wasn't missed around here.

Inconsistent pitcher? Seriously?

Done 3B? Don't be surprised if he is on the Yankees wish list when A-Rod opts out.

Your blind homerism wasn't missed around here.

It's funny how one good year of Beckett will make everyone forget his horrible year last year and his mediocre career stats up to that point...

If the yankees end up with Lowell it will be a huge mistake and i'll be the first to say that.

Maybe if Beckett didn't get BOMBED last year you would've MADE the playoffs. His career stats are what he is (ie not as good as he pitched this year) And if he wins the Cy Young it won't be because he deserved it.

If you look at his stats, last year was more the exception than the rule. It was his worst year statisticall and it also happened to be his first year in the AL. He is now a young dominant pitcher with nasty stuff. Anyone with half a brain and their Yankee-colored glasses off will tell you the same thing.

If you look at his stats, last year was more the exception than the rule. It was his worst year statisticall and it also happened to be his first year in the AL. He is now a young dominant pitcher with nasty stuff. Anyone with half a brain and their Yankee-colored glasses off will tell you the same thing.

He had 700 innings with the marlins that said he's a good no 3 starter. The odds of him keeping this year's performance up are small.

No, that 2006 team was just awful. Going 20-7 wouldn't have helped.

With the exception of 06, he's gotten better every year. He's only 27 years old. I guess it's beyond you to understand that a young guy can get better.

Revert! Revert! You must revert!

I'm still waiting for Lowell's second half swoon.

Don't you see how making such absolute statements make you look foolish?

No, that 2006 team was just awful. Going 20-7 wouldn't have helped.

With the exception of 06, he's gotten better every year. He's only 27 years old. I guess it's beyond you to understand that a young guy can get better.

Revert! Revert! You must revert!

I'm still waiting for Lowell's second half swoon.

Don't you see how making such absolute statements make you look foolish?

Well i was 100% right about lowell's collapse last year and I'll be right when he never comes close to this kind of performance again.

Well i was 100% right about lowell's collapse last year and I'll be right when he never comes close to this kind of performance again.

And you were wrong about him and Beckett this year.

Don't break your arm patting yourself on the back.

You're high...if the Yanks had Beckett and Lowell they'd still be playing.

Bring back Clemens.

Beckett and Lowell just had the best year of their respective careers. Somehow, Beckett doesn't deserve the Cy Young. This is after an entire off season of Madmike telling us how awful they are.

Meet the new JonE, same as the old JonE.

Beckett and Lowell just had the best year of their respective careers. Somehow, Beckett doesn't deserve the Cy Young. This is after an entire off season of Madmike telling us how awful they are.

True. This is the best year Lowell and Beckett will ever have.

And Lowell has only really had one bad year in his career. Beckett is a much bigger post-season clutch player than Jeter. Most of us posted last year that Beckett was the real deal but just needed to bide our time as he tried to get by strictly on his fastball. I can't name 3 pitchers I'd take over him in a big game.

He is nasty and a gamer.

And Lowell has only really had one bad year in his career. Beckett is a much bigger post-season clutch player than Jeter. Most of us posted last year that Beckett was the real deal but just needed to bide our time as he tried to get by strictly on his fastball. I can't name 3 pitchers I'd take over him in a big game.

He is nasty and a gamer.

This is the stupidity that results from judging players from small sample sizes.

This is the stupidity that results from judging players from small sample sizes.

Mr. Mad Mike, correct me if I am wrong, but weren't you the one who projected Phil Hughes to be better than 95% of all pitchers based on 0 Major League innings. I would say that's a pretty small sample size.

Mr. Mad Mike, correct me if I am wrong, but weren't you the one who projected Phil Hughes to be better than 95% of all pitchers based on 0 Major League innings. I would say that's a pretty small sample size.

Hughes had close to 300 professional innings when I said that and he'll make me look smart next year and going foward.

Archived