Berger: Mangini won't tolerate slackers at his boot camp

Sperm Edwards

Mangini won't tolerate slackers at his boot camp

BY KEN BERGER

Newsday Staff Writer

July 31, 2006

Maybe the players thought Eric Mangini's talk about discipline and daily improvement and running every drill correctly was just lip service. Maybe they thought he would grow tired of trying to enforce his new form of discipline.

If so, they were wrong.

Mangini had a noticeable edge about him yesterday during his daily media briefing, when he reiterated his strict practice criteria and strongly implied that the players haven't gotten it yet.

Saying the scorching heat took away from the focus in Saturday's practice, Mangini said bluntly, "It can't." Despite some improvement yesterday, Mangini still wasn't happy.

"The coaches need to get better and the organization needs to get better," Mangini said. "It's across the board. If we don't, then it's a problem ... It's important that everyone understands these things very clearly. They are not going away."

Asked about his policy that a player must take a lap when he makes a mistake, Mangini said, "If you're doing something that is going to hurt the team, then go somewhere else -- like around the field -- and think about it and keep going. It's going to keep happening."

What would happen if a player refused to take a lap when instructed?

Said Mangini, "I don't think it's in anybody's best interests to find out."

JETS RED ZONE

Clemens pays dues

It was Kellen Clemens' turn to run the first-team offense in practice yesterday, and the growing pains continued.

There is no question about Clemens' on-field presence. But his performance in 11-on-11 drills through the first three days has been about what you'd expect from a rookie quarterback. Yesterday, he failed to see safety Kerry Rhodes and had his overthrown ball for Justin McCareins intercepted. But the reviews of Clemens' work habits and leadership ability have been positive.

"I don't see the 'deer in the headlights' look, if that's what you're asking," guard Pete Kendall said. "He seems eager to learn and willing to work. Like the other quarterbacks, I think he would like to be the guy that wins the job."

Yesterday marked the completion of one full rotation with the four quarterbacks taking turns with the starting offense. Coach Eric Mangini said the rotation will continue in its current form for "a little while."

Bottom line

I don't like comparing head coaches any more than Curtis Martin likes missing practice. But if Martin's previous coach had been as unemotional as Mangini in deciding who practices and plays and who doesn't, Martin's knee injury might not have become so severe last season.

I don't like comparing head coaches any more than Curtis Martin likes missing practice. But if Martin's previous coach had been as unemotional as Mangini in deciding who practices and plays and who doesn't, Martin's knee injury might not have become so severe last season.

Add Chad Pennington to that list. The players say they can play. It is up to the coach to decide when a player at x percent is not helping the team.

Add Chad Pennington to that list. The players say they can play. It is up to the coach to decide when a player at x percent is not helping the team.

I hope we all see this, if nothing else, this season. Particularly at skill positions. Curtis Martin at 60% is NOT better than Cedric Houston at 100%. Chad Pennington at 60% is NOT better than Patrick Ramsey at 100%.

That's the kind of no-nonsense attitude that's been missing around here for the last five seasons! :)

Nothing like instilling discipline in these players. We don't want the Herm Edwards era of being the least penalized team in the NFL over the last five years. We want a team with tough, smart, disciplined players who don't make dumb mistakes..... too bad Mangini can't carry out his philosophy to actual games..... under his leadership the Patriot defense was the 5th most penalized defense in the NFL last year.

Herm Edwards era of being the least penalized team in the NFL over the last five years.

Hey - thats great. I knew we were low on overall penalty minutes but didn't know we were number one over the past 5. Now we can improve that about 150% by demanding accountability from all players. And without Herms atrocious clock management and play to be within 7 mentality - we might be talking dynasty.

I looked but couldn't find it - anybody see who Mangini hired to be the game clock coach and is he at camp yet? You can't start too early in figuring out those major pieces of the puzzle.

Nothing like instilling discipline in these players. We don't want the Herm Edwards era of being the least penalized team in the NFL over the last five years. We want a team with tough, smart, disciplined players who don't make dumb mistakes..... too bad Mangini can't carry out his philosophy to actual games..... under his leadership the Patriot defense was the 5th most penalized defense in the NFL last year.

Lia....Take Herms **** out of your mouth for 5 minutes .

He's just pissed off because Tannenbaum interfered with Herm's 30 year plan to lead the jets to a superbowl. This way he could say, after those 30 years, that he was the most successful HC in jets history. We'd have made it to the playoffs 6 times and won a superbowl. Better than Weeb and Tuna combined!!!!

Archived