Fox Sports:JETS D-Line Ranked Dead Last

L.I.MikeBleedsGreen

Fox Sports is saying we have NO one on our D-Line that Scares the other Teams Offense! Discuss?

Name one player on the Jets DLine that "scares" other teams.

The Jets last year were ranked 29th against the run for a reason.

Your DLine totally sucks.

the jets d line COULD be just like the 98 d line..

Anthony Pleasant= KIMO

Ellis is better than Rick Lyle

Drob COULD be a better NT than Fergy was that year....

98 our d line scared no one either.

thanks for the insightful,in depth post tx. we didn't even know we sucked last year,thanks. & now we know we will suck this year cause we sucked last year. I was hoping a new coaching regime could maybe help improve a bad defense. You have so eloquently educated us otherwise.

thank you

Yes and all those reasons are gone. Namely the coaching staff and Johnny "get me a new contract" Abe. If Abe played the run, he might have gotten hurt.

Actually, that would be the only way the Jets DLine would scare people.;)

not true, what if it was found out 2 or 3 of the guys had aids? I think the guys lining up on the other side would be at least a little scared

:)

I think the gap between the jets & pats will close this year. & I think we got a better kicker:)

Does anybody on the Steelers D-line scare anyone?Nope,but they are one of the best in football.You don't need D-linemen who can get 10+ sacks to play the 3-4,we need our guys to clog the gaps and leave the playmaking to the linebackers.

Granted if we were to play the 4-3 then we'd have problems,although imo Ellis is one of the best all round left ends in the 4-3.

Does anybody on the Steelers D-line scare anyone?Nope,but they are one of the best in football.You don't need D-linemen who can get 10+ sacks to play the 3-4,we need our guys to clog the gaps and leave the playmaking to the linebackers.

Granted if we were to play the 4-3 then we'd have problems,although imo Ellis is one of the best all round left ends in the 4-3.

I think Palmer is still afraid of Kimo.;)

Shaun Ellis

He had a down year last season, but before that he was widely considered to be one of the Top 5 all-around DE's in the NFL.

Double digit sacks in 2003 and 2004...... when he had Jason Ferguson lined up next to him drawing double teams.

Now he has Dewayne Robertson, Sione Pouha and Monsanto Pope battling for the honor of this years speed bumps.

Tx,

Our coach totally sucked last year. Herm was singing "Kansas City Here I Come" before camp of '05 started.

The D Line will be improved overall. Will it crack the top 20? Possibly.

Should have drafted Gabe Watson.

Yeah,cause as we all know,nothing scares NFL offenses and Offensive Coordinator's and adds instant credibility to a d-line more than a fat,lazy rookie. Hey,isn't that why Herm drafted D-Rob?

Double digit sacks in 2003 and 2004...... when he had Jason Ferguson lined up next to him drawing double teams.

If Jason Ferguson is so good then how come he was on the bench for most of the year?

Ferguson wasn't very good at drawing double teams,he'd often be the one benifiting from a one on one match up in 04.While he was a solid player he was the 4th best on our line.He's nowhere near Ellis's league.

If Jason Ferguson is so good then how come he was on the bench for most of the year?

Ferguson wasn't very good at drawing double teams,he'd often be the one benifiting from a one on one match up in 04.While he was a solid player he was the 4th best on our line.He's nowhere near Ellis's league.

Ferguson is a great contract year player. Its just during the other years when his contract isn't about to expire,that he returns to his mediocreness.

Ferguson is a great contract year player. Its just during the other years when his contract isn't about to expire,that he returns to his mediocreness.
True,but he's a better player than Reed.

Yeah,cause as we all know,nothing scares NFL offenses and Offensive Coordinator's and adds instant credibility to a d-line more than a fat,lazy rookie. Hey,isn't that why Herm drafted D-Rob?

I think you are missing the point. Big, run stuffing Defensive Tackles are hard to find in the NFL and now that the Jets want to run a 3-4 that becomes even more of a need because Robertson isn't big enough to play the Nose full-time. Gabe Watson is a project but he will be a Sam Adams/Ted Washington type of player in the NFL and the Jets sure could have used that.

If you really had much knowledge about the Jets' defensive players you would know that for Jonathan Vilma to be fully effective he needs to have big defensive linemen to protect him like Jason Ferguson in 2004. Yes, Vilma led the league last year in tackles but he got lit up in a lot of games like Week 1 in Kansas City because undersized DT's couldn't protect him.

Oh well, at least we still have Monsanto Pope. Oh, maybe not.

Let us not forget how much the D was on the field last year. Also, the Jets were usually behind on the scoreboard. Translation: other teams running the ball 90% of the f'n time. Excuse, no. Fact, yes. I am confident that with the addition of Kimo's leadership, and Mangini's mind, this will be a much improved d-line. Top 10, hell no, but somewhere in the middle would be a tremendous improvement. The big fat uglys on the line are the guys who need the rest the most. Improvement will certainly rely on the O holding on to the ball and running the TOP up. It's simple really, but you may bash if you wish, while you can. This team is on the rise, and I, for one, am excited about the direction this team is taking.

Let us not forget how much the D was on the field last year. Also, the Jets were usually behind on the scoreboard. Translation: other teams running the ball 90% of the f'n time. Excuse, no. Fact, yes. I am confident that with the addition of Kimo's leadership, and Mangini's mind, this will be a much improved d-line. Top 10, hell no, but somewhere in the middle would be a tremendous improvement. The big fat uglys on the line are the guys who need the rest the most. Improvement will certainly rely on the O holding on to the ball and running the TOP up. It's simple really, but you may bash if you wish, while you can. This team is on the rise, and I, for one, am excited about the direction this team is taking.

Yes...plus the fact that the defense knew the offense couldn't score. That didn't help either.

He battled a high ankle sprain last year. It's not what Ferguson did or did not do with another team, it was did the Jets adequatly replace him. Lance Lagree, Sione Pouha, James Reed....?

In 2004 the Jets D-line consisted of Abraham, Robertson, Ferguson and Ellis.... they ranked 5th in run defense in the NFL.

In 2005 the Jets D-line consisted of Abraham, Robertson, the Three Stooges and Ellis. They ranked 29th in run defense...

What was the difference between 2004 and 2005?

Archived