Monsanto Pope has left the building

Bugg

The guy's heart is not into it for whatever reasons-I do not expect Mangini to want him back no matter what now

Nah, guess he isn't back. Not sure where I thought I read that. Depends on what his personal reasons were. If it was a family matter (somebody sick, wife giving birth) they'd let him back, if he just wasn't sure about camp and football, he's gone.

I haven't heard that. Not sure what Mangini would do with him if he tried to come back.

If he can play he would... after all he drafted Arthur Schlegal in the third round, a player who quit on his college team (Air Force) just after being named captain to go to a team (Ohio State) far more attractive and with a far better future.

http://theosustorecom.readyhosting.com/new/c2006/2006_51_A_Schlegal_3.htm

rajensen:

If you're going to attack Schlegel on three seperate Jets website with the same crap argument you might want to get his name right. His first name is Anthony not Arthur.

Basically Schlegel was faced with choosing between having shot at an NFL career or continuing to get treated like crap by the upper classmen who resented his leadership of the team and his popularity and giving up his dream of playing in the NFL. Lots of people leave the Academy before they sign their military committment papers at the end of their Sophomore year. He was voted Captain after his Freshman year and played, and helped lead the Falcons to one of their best seasons, his sophomore year before transfering.

Get over it or get some therapy. It almost sounds like you were the senior LB he beat out of the starting job his sophomore year.

rajensen:

If you're going to attack Schlegel on three seperate Jets website with the same crap argument you might want to get his name right. His first name is Anthony not Arthur.

Basically Schlegel was faced with choosing between having shot at an NFL career or continuing to get treated like crap by the upper classmen who resented his leadership of the team and his popularity and giving up his dream of playing in the NFL. Lots of people leave the Academy before they sign their military committment papers at the end of their Sophomore year. He was voted Captain after his Freshman year and played, and helped lead the Falcons to one of their best seasons, his sophomore year before transfering.

Get over it or get some therapy. It almost sounds like you were the senior LB he beat out of the starting job his senior year.

Gibbon, thanks for clearing that up for me. Wasn't quite sure how the "committment" thing worked with the military academies. I thought once you committed yourself to one of these schools that was it. I wondered how Schlegel was able to drop out of the AFA and go to OSU.

rajensen:

Get over it or get some therapy. It almost sounds like you were the senior LB he beat out of the starting job his sophomore year.

He quit. You are making excuses. Players transfer out of college because they failed to make it as a starter or are given a choice of transferring voluntarily or being expelled because of behavior. None of those cases apply to Schlegal so he is a quitter who left for a better future leaving the taxpayers to pick up the tab for two years of a military academy education.

Gibbon, thanks for clearing that up for me. Wasn't quite sure how the "committment" thing worked with the military academies. I thought once you committed yourself to one of these schools that was it. I wondered how Schlegel was able to drop out of the AFA and go to OSU.

Well, he's no Pat Tillman.

ra:

The publicity, TV money, Bowl money, etc that was put back into the public coffers with the success of the Air Force Falcon's Schlegel's sophomore year probably more than covered the cost of his education. The Academy, and the government, accept that many young people will leave the Academies before graduation. That's why they dont sign the committment papers until after they are sophomores. Everyone who goes to the Academies is technically there on scholarship. The military life and the lifestyle at a military academy dont suit everyone, particularly not someone who wants to be a professional athlete.

Your holding a person to a pretty high standard if you expect them to give up their life long dream and an opportunity to make a great deal of money in order not to be labeled a quiter. If this is your definition of quitter then every player who leaves college early to enter the draft is a quitter and should be shunned by their new team mates and fans.

The difference between Pope and Schlegel is that Pope was under contract when he quit the Jets. Schlegel left the academy before signing military contract.

As to your Pat Tillman reference, if we were all held to the standard he set then probably 99.8% of us would come up short.

If your resentment of Schlegel is based on your own military service I respectfully disagree with your assessment of the level of Schlegel's military obligation and I thank you for your service to our country. I still think you are wrong, but I appreciate your efforts to protect my right to disagree with you.

Archived