8/1 Hutchinson: The Day in Camp

Sperm Edwards

The day in camp

Tuesday, August 01, 2006

BY DAVE HUTCHINSON

Star-Ledger Staff

AT JETS CAMP

WR TIM DWIGHT

Veteran WR Tim Dwight can still run with the young pups. And at time, outrun them.

Dwight, entering his ninth NFL season, signed with the Jets as an unrestricted free agent after spending last season in New England with coach Eric Mangini. He had spent the previous four seasons in San Diego with Jets offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer.

At 31, Dwight has lost a half step but makes up for it with his craftiness. After several big years with the Chargers, he played with the Patriots last season, catching 19 passes for 332 yards (17.5-yard average) and three TDs. He also returned punts (8.5-yard average) and kickoffs (25.0).

He joined the Jets because of his relationship with Mangini and Schottenheimer and is having a solid training camp, displaying the speed and elusiveness that has marked his career. He and Jerricho Cotchery are backing up starters Laveranues Coles and Justin McCareins.

"Coming in here, they wanted me to help these guys learn the offense," said Dwight, who has had nagging injuries in recent years. "It's been a nice transition for me. I think it's an opportunity, a place where I could help out in starting something. I might not be here to finish it.

"When you're one of the fastest guys, you always have to be one of the fast guys. Now that I'm older I always play off that. Now I'm like, 'I'm old now so I'm really not that fast anymore.' But you compete. It's fun to surprise yourself every once and a while."

Who's Hot

CB Derrick Strait made his presence felt in the secondary, breaking up five passes. Strait, a three-year pro who has been switched from nickel back to cornerback, is quietly having a good camp. He's also playing safety, which could be his best position.

LB Matt Chatham had an interception and a tackle in the backfield. ... RB Leon Washington juked LB Victor Hobson in the 1-on-1 tackling drill. ... CB Justin Miller had a nifty interception. ... Mangini said rookie free agent RB Stacy Tutt, has caught his eye.

Who's Not

Rookie free agent FB Joe Kowalewski had another dropped pass. None of the quarterbacks distinguished themselves although Brooks Bollinger connected with Coles on a deep ball. ... The defense outplayed the offense in red-zone drills during the single practice.

Curtis Martin update

The agent for the veteran running back said it was a mutual decision to place him on the physically-unable-to-perform list with a slowly healing right knee and he expects the veteran to play this season.

"I don't know if I'm concerned," agent Eugene Parker told The Star-Ledger yesterday. "Right now, Curtis is working his way to try to play. When he's physically able to play, he'll play.

"I think this (the decision to put him on the PUP list) is a consensus that it's the right thing to do. But Curtis wants to play this season."

Scarlet Knights in the house

The Jets yesterday signed a pair of rookie free agents from Rutgers, WR Chris Baker and DE Val Barnaby. The club also signed WR C.J. Fayton and waived P D.J. Fitzpatrick and WR Paul Silva.

Baker was originally signed by the 49ers in May but was released last week. He had 56 career catches for 505 yards and two TDs at Rutgers. Barnaby had 10 sacks last season, tied for second in the Big East.

Pope leaves camp

Fifth-year veteran Monsanto Pope, who was signed as a free agent after four seasons in Denver, decided to leave camp for "personal reasons." Mangini said. He's not expected back and may retire. He was a longshot to make the team.

Injury report: NT Sione Pouha (knee), S Erik Coleman (illness) and TE Jason Pociask (shoulder), CB David Barrett (unknown) and CB Ray Mickens (unknown) didn't practice.

Archived