8/1 Cimini: An Earful for Shakey Ramsey

Sperm Edwards

An earful for shaky Ramsey

BY RICH CIMINI

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Tuesday, August 1st, 2006

Offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer is only 32, but he's not shy about tearing into a player. Yesterday, QB Patrick Ramsey incurred the wrath of Schottenheimer. "Damn it, get another quarterback in the game," Schottenheimer screamed when Ramsey took too long to get a play off.

In came Brooks Bollinger, out went Ramsey.

Ramsey, in his second chance to work with the starting unit, was spotty in the day's only practice. In red-zone drills, he was intercepted twice and overthrew an open Jerricho Cotchery. Ramsey rallied late in the practice, hooking up with Justin McCareins for a TD on a nice fade route.

No one has dominated the four-way QB competition. It still appears to be Chad Pennington's job to lose.

"I think Chad has had a couple of good days in a row," coach Eric Mangini said at Hofstra. "His leadership shows up, his presence shows up. ... Obviously, there are some reads and some throws and some things he needs to work on, like the rest of the guys."

notebook.gif

COLEMAN OUT: SS Erik Coleman (illness) missed his third straight day. ... CB David Barrett and CB Ray Mickens sat out for unknown reasons. ... Jets signed two former Rutgers players, WR Chris Baker and DE Val Barnaby. They also signed WR C.J. Fayton. P D.J. Fitzpatrick and WR Phil Silva were waived. ... Two practices today: 8:45 a.m. and 5:30 p.m.

HEAT IS ON: There have been six practices in four days, averaging about 2 1/2 hours each, and Mangini apparently isn't going to let up anytime soon. There isn't a day off on the schedule. It may not come until Aug. 12, the day after the preseason opener in Tampa. Traditionally, a coach will give a day off after nine or 10 days.

Mangini refused to say when a day off is coming, claiming it will hinge on the team's progress. In case you're wondering, he isn't breaking any rules. According to the collective bargaining agreement, a team is required to give four days off a month, starting with the first preseason game.

TOUGH RHODES: Second-year FS Kerry Rhodes has been making plays all over the field. ... Rookie LT D'Brickashaw Ferguson on whether he has experienced a "Welcome-to-the-NFL" moment: "I think I have it every day ... Every day I find something new." ... Rookie RB Stacy Tutt, a free agent from Richmond, earned praise from Mangini. Tutt, who played quarterback in college, has impressed with his aggressiveness and work ethic. The Giants showed a lot of interest in Tutt. In fact, they sent offensive coordinator John Hufnagel to work him out before the draft. The Jets signed him immediately after the draft.

QB is the one position I definitely agree with being very vocal with in practice. They need to learn how to be calm under pressure. And how else can you simulate that? Other than having an insane coach yelling at you from the sidelines.

I will never forget seeing Phil Simms throw an interception then head to the sidelines. He would always go right next to Parcells to get the shouting match out of the way. Sure it probably doesn't help the team but man that has to make the coach feel better, lol.

Archived