Pennington earning points with Mangini

Untouchable

Pennington earning early points with Mangini

BY KEN BERGER

Newsday Staff Writer

August 1, 2006

Though Eric Mangini doesn't appear any closer to narrowing the field in his unorthodox quarterback competition, the first signs that someone is "distinguishing himself" came yesterday. His name is Chad Pennington.

"I think Chad has had a couple of good days in a row," Mangini said. "The leadership that Chad has shows up, and the presence that Chad has shows up."

Mangini added, "There are obviously some reads and some throws that he needs to work on like the rest of those guys ... With that group, there are so many reps throughout practice and so many different drills, it's positives and negatives throughout the day."

Patrick Ramsey, Pennington's stiffest competition, had his second turn with the starting offense yesterday and struggled. On the first play of 11-on-11 drills, Ramsey was chewed out by offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer, who shouted, "Get me a new quarterback in there!" Brooks Bollinger went in for Ramsey.

Ramsey missed a wide-open Jerricho Cotchery in the end zone on a pump-and-go that fooled cornerback Andre Dyson. He later hit Justin McCareins on a crossing pattern in the end zone, but he had two throws batted down at the line, with one intercepted in the end zone by rookie safety Eric Smith.

Jet streams

DL Monsanto Pope left camp for what Mangini called "personal reasons." ... DT Dewayne Robertson said he was not offended by John Abraham's comment that he never played next to an interior pass rusher like Rod Coleman, his new linemate in Atlanta. "If that's how John feels, that's how he feels," Robertson said ... NT Sione Pouha, who hurt his right leg in practice Sunday night, did not practice ... The Jets signed WRs Chris Baker (Rutgers) and C.J. Fayton (Bears) and waived P D.J. Fitzpatrick and WR Phil Silva.

Abe is nothing but class. How about you just put up your #s Abe and then let people figure out why for themselves. Way to blast people on the way out the door.

As far as Pennington...he might win it by default. I just hope the arm strength is there. And that he isn't pushed too much. It is funny but there seems to be less questions about his arm this year.

As far as Pennington...he might win it by default. I just hope the arm strength is there. And that he isn't pushed too much. It is funny but there seems to be less questions about his arm this year.

I've read several TC reports that said Chad was showing good velocity on his short and intermediate passes. :cheers:

I can't wait for people to start saying Mangini is "Favoring" Chad like they did last year with Herm.

Maybe, just maybe, he is the best player we have and is healthy enough to play.

Sometimes the simple answer is the right one.

BZ

Do you honestly believe it's a smart move to place an oft-injured, twice repaired shoulder behind a rookie C and LT?

as long as they do not play chuck and duck on every offensive play like last year I beleive he will be fine.

as long as they do not play chuck and duck on every offensive play like last year I beleive he will be fine.

I fear that chuck and duck is exactly what you're going to see, at least initially. In the face of a young, rebuilding OL, that's all any of our QB's are going to have time for.

Start "The Human Punching Bag." We know he can take multiple hits, pick himself off the turf and get back at it. Give the line time to get comfortable with one another before throwing Penny back there.

Most of us agree that a poor season (i.e. no playoffs) is a likely scenario. Why proliferate the possibility of ending Penny's career (due to another injury) in this situation?

Most of us agree that a poor season (i.e. no playoffs) is a likely scenario. Why proliferate the possibility of ending Penny's career (due to another injury) in this situation?

Why? Because CP needs to prove that he can take a beating without breaking down. If he can't, then the Jets (sadly) will not have any use of him for the next couple of seasons. We can't survive the rebuilding process with "an egg back there". ;)

I hope CP will prove us doubters wrong, and not only stay in one piece but also get his trowing back to what is once was. Never great, but at least okay. But that is a long shot.

My guess is still: PR to start, and KC to take over next year.

Why? Because CP needs to prove that he can take a beating without breaking down. If he can't, then the Jets (sadly) will not have any use of him for the next couple of seasons. We can't survive the rebuilding process with "an egg back there". ;)

I hope CP will prove us doubters wrong, and not only stay in one piece but also get his trowing back to what is once was. Never great, but at least okay. But that is a long shot.

My guess is still: PR to start, and KC to take over next year.

I agree with you on all accounts! :cheers:

Archived