BARLOW FOR MCCARIENS?

GREENSMACKS

Head coach Mike Nolan recently shot down a rumor that the 49ers have had "serious conversations" with the Jets regarding Kevan Barlow.

Barlow, not Nolan's "guy," as Frank Gore is, might be a good fit in New York, though the rumor is reportedly full of holes. The Niners have decent backfield depth and may be interested in a wideout i.e. Justin McCareins.

Source: San Francisco Chronicle

A scrub for a scrub, no reason the Jets should have passed up on Lendale White at both 29 and 35.

Head coach Mike Nolan recently shot down a rumor that the 49ers have had "serious conversations" with the Jets regarding Kevan Barlow.

Barlow, not Nolan's "guy," as Frank Gore is, might be a good fit in New York, though the rumor is reportedly full of holes. The Niners have decent backfield depth and may be interested in a wideout i.e. Justin McCareins.

Source: San Francisco Chronicle

I have said it often....Lendale with Curtis' influence for a season or two would be a BEAST.
there are any number of backs who could help the jets and are available in the trade market. good RB's come out of nowhere all the time it will just depend on the o line. mangini isn't gonna bring in players that had as many off the field issues as lendale...

I have said it often....Lendale with Curtis' influence for a season or two would be a BEAST.

I agree. The only thing that dazzles me more than the idiocy of this front office this past off-season is the willingness of fans to accept it. They passed over Lendale White twice at 29 and 35 and now look at the garbage the Jets are trying to give up draft picks for: Lee Suggs, Artose Pinner, tj Duckett.

White was a beast in college. I guess these guys missed out on the Rose bowl. Somehow a guy who plays the game of his life in a clutch situation like that is worthless but no names like Clemens and Leon Washington are automatic. Go have fun watching the "3-Headed Monster" of Cedric Houston, blaylock and Leon Washington.

LenDale White is a fat, lazy POS. Unless he suddenly develops a work ethic and stops trying to get by on talent alone, he'll be out of the league in 5 years.

As for Barlow/McCareins, I'd do it. One ****ty albatross for another. If we're going to cut McCareins and get nothing, we might as well get something if it's on the table, even though, IMO, McCareins is utterly worthless.

I agree. The only thing that dazzles me more than the idiocy of this front office this past off-season is the willingness of fans to accept it. They passed over Lendale White twice at 29 and 35 and now look at the garbage the Jets are trying to give up draft picks for: Lee Suggs, Artose Pinner, tj Duckett.

White was a beast in college. I guess these guys missed out on the Rose bowl. Somehow a guy who plays the game of his life in a clutch situation like that is worthless but no names like Clemens and Leon Washington are automatic. Go have fun watching the "3-Headed Monster" of Cedric Houston, blaylock and Leon Washington.

what you don't understand is that this is a LONG TERM PROCESS. white probably would've been a better pick in the short term but he's not the type of person that this team is going to be built around. they got mangold with 29 who will be an anchor on this team for a long time and with the 35th pick they RAPED the redskins for a 2nd next year and traded down to get a QB who many consider better then guys who went in the first round. they had a GREAT draft and it will set this franchise up to be good for a LONG TIME. RB's are a dime a dozen and picking lendale would've been a shortsighted departure from their plan.

what you don't understand is that this is a LONG TERM PROCESS. white probably would've been a better pick in the short term but he's not the type of person that this team is going to be built around. they got mangold with 29 who will be an anchor on this team for a long time and with the 35th pick they RAPED the redskins for a 2nd next year and traded down to get a QB who many consider better then guys who went in the first round. they had a GREAT draft and it will set this franchise up to be good for a LONG TIME. RB's are a dime a dozen and picking lendale would've been a shortsighted departure from their plan.

Wow, so in 20 years we're going to win a Super bowl. If Terry Bradway had the same draft and Herman Edwards was still the coach you guys would have been crying and screaming about how hideous it was. Oakland tried this same approach two years ago with Robert Gallery and Jake Grove. you could say Gallery and Grove are our Mangold and Ferguson and Tuaisosopo is our Kellen Clemens.

The Qb situation is even similar. Two years ago Oakland had the aging vet (Rich Gannon), the newly acquired veteran quarterback(Kerry Collins) to accompany Tuaisosopo. now we have the aging, fragile vet who is on his way out (Pennington), the newly acquired Qb who will eventually get the job (Ramsey) and the young gun who the management loves but isn't anything special (clemens).

And let's not forget how Oakland tried to implement the 3-4 defense when it didn't have the personnel to do so, much like how Mangini is trying to do so now. It took a season for Norv Turner to realize Warren Sapp isn't a DE or nose in a 3-4 scheme. How long will it take Mangini to realize Robertson isn't a nose, Bryan Thomas isn't an OL and Vilma isn't an ILb.

In today's nfl, the long-term process doesn't really work.

Wow, so in 20 years we're going to win a Super bowl. If Terry Bradway had the same draft and Herman Edwards was still the coach you guys would have been crying and screaming about how hideous it was. Oakland tried this same approach two years ago with Robert Gallery and Jake Grove. you could say Gallery and Grove are our Mangold and Ferguson and Tuaisosopo is our Kellen Clemens.

The Qb situation is even similar. Two years ago Oakland had the aging vet (Rich Gannon), the newly acquired veteran quarterback(Kerry Collins) to accompany Tuaisosopo. now we have the aging, fragile vet who is on his way out (Pennington), the newly acquired Qb who will eventually get the job (Ramsey) and the young gun who the management loves but isn't anything special (clemens).

nice to know that you have a crystal ball that enables you to know that mangold and furguson will be busts, chad is on his way out and that clemens sucks. can you give me some over/unders on games once the season starts?

I like Clemens, but who are the many who consider him better than Young, Leinart and Cutler? Almost everybody also had him behind Brody Croyle and Charlie Whitehurst. At least half had him behind Tavaris Jackson and Omar Jacobs. Most did not have him going as high as the second round. Doesn't sound like a sure fire rookie starting franchise QB to me. Sure Gil Brandt has him 4th, but even he saw the draft as "the big three" and the rest. Just because Jaworski ranted about the guy on the draft show is no reason to get all excited. Last I saw Ron Jaworski never ran an NFL front office and I doubt he spends any serious time scouting the draft. I do not think that Clemens is necessarily the answer that will set this team up for a long time at QB. I think it's worse than 50-50 at this point.

And let's not forget how Oakland tried to implement the 3-4 defense when it didn't have the personnel to do so, much like how Mangini is trying to do so now. It took a season for Norv Turner to realize Warren Sapp isn't a DE or nose in a 3-4 scheme. How long will it take Mangini to realize Robertson isn't a nose, Bryan Thomas isn't an OL and Vilma isn't an ILb.

wow, you have it all figured out. why are you even posting on a message board, are you planning on actually watching the games? with your expertise on what will happen to the team, what is the point? might as well find something else to do.

there are any number of backs who could help the jets and are available in the trade market. good RB's come out of nowhere all the time it will just depend on the o line. mangini isn't gonna bring in players that had as many off the field issues as lendale...

AGREED 100% ------see denver broncos if you have any questions on that

I like Clemens, but who are the many who consider him better than Young, Leinart and Cutler? Almost everybody also had him behind Brody Croyle and Charlie Whitehurst. At least half had him behind Tavaris Jackson and Omar Jacobs. Most did not have him going as high as the second round. Doesn't sound like a sure fire rookie starting franchise QB to me. Sure Gil Brandt has him 4th, but even he saw the draft as "the big three" and the rest. Just because Jaworski ranted about the guy on the draft show is no reason to get all excited. Last I saw Ron Jaworski never ran an NFL front office and I doubt he spends any serious time scouting the draft. I do not think that Clemens is necessarily the answer that will set this team up for a long time at QB. I think it's worse than 50-50 at this point.

there was this one qb that was drafted late, and he lost his job in college. Man he was going to suck. Suck bad.

then he won three super bowls.

I guess all late round qb's do suck.

there was this one qb that was drafted late, and he lost his job in college. Man he was going to suck. Suck bad.

then he won three super bowls.

I guess all late round qb's do suck.

Who said he sucks? 2nd round is not late. I said he is not rated as highly as a few other qbs in the draft. Nobody. Not one scout, draft pundit or commentator other than possibly Jaworski had him ahead of Leinart and Cutler. Period. Does that mean he sucks? No. It means he's not as good a prospect. He might turn out better, more likely he'll be worse. Brady was a 6th round pick-by your mensa logic I guess Bruce Gradowski will win 3 super bowls and be a perennial pro bowler.

Who said he sucks? 2nd round is not late. I said he is not rated as highly as a few other qbs in the draft. Nobody. Not one scout, draft pundit or commentator other than possibly Jaworski had him ahead of Leinart and Cutler. Period. Does that mean he sucks? No. It means he's not as good a prospect. He might turn out better, more likely he'll be worse. Brady was a 6th round pick-by your mensa logic I guess Bruce Gradowski will win 3 super bowls and be a perennial pro bowler.

my point is, he will be better than leinhart, and probably just as good as cutler or young.

I don't know that he'll be better than Leinart. I think a better argument might be that you think he'd be better than Leinart would be on the Jets.

But before we erect a bust for Leinart in Canton, let's see him without Reggie Bush AND Lendale White AND Winston Justice AND Deuce Lutui AND Dominique Byrd AND Steve Smith AND Dwayne Jarrett all at the same time, playing against mostly scrubs week in & week out.

my point is, he will be better than leinhart, and probably just as good as cutler or young.

What are you basing your point on? Don't you think if he were better than Cutler the Broncos might have taken a look? If the Jets were so high on the kid why is it almost universally accepted the Jets attempts at moving up were to get Cutler or Leinart? I'm not a big Leinart fan, because I don't like blowing a top 5 pick on a QB without a cannon, but there is no real reason to think he'll be worse than Clemens. Young has got a transition to make to the pro game, but as an athlete he's in another world from the rest. Before you read all this post-draft BS and listened to Jaws, would you have taken Clemens over Leinart, Young AND Cutler if they were all available when the Jets drafted? Something tells me you wouldn't have and I know the Jets wouldn't have. That's because they don't think Clemens will be the better pro.

I think it would have been nice to get White. Like Max said, I think he would have been a changed man. He already had Curtis' blessing, he wouldn't have let him slack off after saying that we should draft him. He would have taken him under his wing and it probably would have turned out well for us. That being said, I didn't want to take Leinart or Young at #4, and if we couldn't move down to get Cutler, then I wouldn't take him there either. So Brick was the right choice, imo. Then if Maroney or Williams fall to us at 29 maybe we take them. But they didn't and it was a safer and maybe better pick to go with Mangold considering all that happened with White between the rose bowl and the draft.

Then we raped the skins with that trade and I can't see how anyone shouldn't be happy with how the first 2 rounds went. Especially considering how well Clemens has done so far. If they're busts, its gonna suck, but it happens to everybody. I'd be willing to bet that at least one of the "big 3" QBs are going to be a huge bust. I'm not sure if we'd rather have one of them over Clemens straight up considering we took Clemens in the 2nd and picked up a 2nd next year, when we'd have to take the other three with the #4, or give up a huge package including our #1 next year to move up. Considering we got a 2nd next year and Clemens, he really isn't that big of a risk if you think about it. If he works out then its an amazing thing, if not then we didn't even really completely waste a pick cause we got one next year though probably a bit later in the round.

Anyway, didn't Jaws say he saw every pass Clemens threw or was that someone else? And saying he ranted about him was an understatement. :P

I think it would have been nice to get White. Like Max said, I think he would have been a changed man. He already had Curtis' blessing, he wouldn't have let him slack off after saying that we should draft him. He would have taken him under his wing and it probably would have turned out well for us. That being said, I didn't want to take Leinart or Young at #4, and if we couldn't move down to get Cutler, then I wouldn't take him there either. So Brick was the right choice, imo. Then if Maroney or Williams fall to us at 29 maybe we take them. But they didn't and it was a safer and maybe better pick to go with Mangold considering all that happened with White between the rose bowl and the draft.

Then we raped the skins with that trade and I can't see how anyone shouldn't be happy with how the first 2 rounds went. Especially considering how well Clemens has done so far. If they're busts, its gonna suck, but it happens to everybody. I'd be willing to bet that at least one of the "big 3" QBs are going to be a huge bust. I'm not sure if we'd rather have one of them over Clemens straight up considering we took Clemens in the 2nd and picked up a 2nd next year, when we'd have to take the other three with the #4, or give up a huge package including our #1 next year to move up. Considering we got a 2nd next year and Clemens, he really isn't that big of a risk if you think about it. If he works out then its an amazing thing, if not then we didn't even really completely waste a pick cause we got one next year though probably a bit later in the round.

Anyway, didn't Jaws say he saw every pass Clemens threw or was that someone else? And saying he ranted about him was an understatement. :P

I think you have the right attitude about the picks. From what you say, I don't think you would take Clemens over the others straight up, you'd rather have Clemens and a #2. That makes some sense to me. I don't see anybody besides Jaworski and his mom liking Clemens over Cutler.

Wow, someone is actually making sense in this board when talking about Kellen Clemens. It's a relief from hearing all the wild homer predictions that he is the next Tom Brady or Peyton Manning.

Look, before the draft none of these people were talking about Kellen Clemens. All the talk about QB's was either Vince Young bashing or people falling in love with Cutler. After the big 3 the name I heard most was Brodie Croyle, not Kellen Clemens and after the big 3 he is probably the best QB, only problem is that Croyle is extremely injury prone.

Mike Tanenbaum could have drafted Mickey Mouse and the people on this site would be praising the move.

Hey listen I understand what your saying, and by all means I'm not going to tell you your wrong or an idiot but I respectfully disagree.

If we know anything from the past it is that we can't sit here 1 pre-season game into the season and evaluate the talent we got in the draft. I can see the comparisons your trying to make but it just isn't fair to compare to players drafted in similiar situations to two totally different players. It's like comparing apples and oranges at this point...

I understand maybe you would have liked to see the Jets draft a RB like Lendale White and its understandable why. But to this point and time it seems like the Jets as well as all the other teams that passed on White knew what they were doing. He hasn't impressed in camp, he hasn't been in good shape or healthy, and he sure didn't do anything for his image with that whole spitting in his teammates face incident.

Personally I didn't like that the Jets traded the 35th pick this year because I wanted Chad Jackson with the 29th and was shocked he was still there by 35. Now another thing you need to be honest about is that the Jets aren't shopping around for these replacement players with draft picks. That is something I do respect and think that the FO should be credited for. Trading J-Mac or Derrick Strait is a win - win situation IMO. I don't know that either player is guarenteed a spot on the team at this point.

Next year with 2 2nd round picks and likely a top 5 pick in the draft again we have the ability to pick up some impact players. RB and WR should be top priorities(QB if you are like me and are not sold on Clemmens yet) come draft day next year. We will have the oppurtunity to get some extremely talented players at those positions again and this time around they will hopefully be joining a team with a foundation to build upon.

Had we drafted Chad Jackson or White last year they would be coming onto an awful offense and neither one of them is the type of player that could change that by themselves.

I think building a football team should be just like a house. You gotta lay the foundation and let the cement dry before you go and build the pickett fence around it. Hopefully the Line can prove to be a worthwile investment and allow whoever we get to come in next season at WR RB and QB to have a chance to be succesful.

Archived