What happened to the 3-Headed Monster

Phinsuck

Mangini and Tanentbaum have finally figured out something that was obvious to some Jets fans and most people who knew something about football: the Jets have no backfield. I understand this off-season they completely neglected the backfield to improve the offensive line but I don't think the offensive line was improved enough to justify that. All we added was two starters: Fergsuon and Mangold. Teague was signed but he's injured. Anthony Clements is a mediocre Rt. Kendall and Moore are still the guards. How is this offensive line so much better now.

now we see the Jets would have been better off using one of their first three picks on a running back and using more of their late round picks on offensive linemen. The offensive line could just have easily been rebuilt with 4-5 quality prospects taken in rounds 2-5 than just getting Ferguson and Mangold in Round 1.

I know Herm-Bradway got 5 years to go nowhere and because of that we should be patient with Mangini and Tanenbaum. I say screw that. Bill Cowher is available next off-season. I want to see him as the coach of the Jets. I want a Super bowl.

Mangini and Tanentbaum have finally figured out something that was obvious to some Jets fans and most people who knew something about football: the Jets have no backfield. I understand this off-season they completely neglected the backfield to improve the offensive line but I don't think the offensive line was improved enough to justify that. All we added was two starters: Fergsuon and Mangold. Teague was signed but he's injured. Anthony Clements is a mediocre Rt. Kendall and Moore are still the guards. How is this offensive line so much better now.

now we see the Jets would have been better off using one of their first three picks on a running back and using more of their late round picks on offensive linemen. The offensive line could just have easily been rebuilt with 4-5 quality prospects taken in rounds 2-5 than just getting Ferguson and Mangold in Round 1.

I know Herm-Bradway got 5 years to go nowhere and because of that we should be patient with Mangini and Tanenbaum. I say screw that. Bill Cowher is available next off-season. I want to see him as the coach of the Jets. I want a Super bowl.

cowher only needed to lose 3 AFC championship game GAGS at home and have the zbrea's giftwrap the game last year for him to get a ring yet he's some kind of savior LOL

Hey, did you know that Rome wasn't built in a day?

It takes more than one offseason to get out of a mess as big as the one Sperm and Bradway left this team in.

And by implementing the same plan the Oakland Raiders did 2 years ago we are going to get out of this mess

Look at what Oakland did in 2004 and look at what the Jets did in 06. It's the same strategy. We are in for a meltdown here.

And by implementing the same plan the Oakland Raiders did 2 years ago we are going to get out of this mess

Look at what Oakland did in 2004 and look at what the Jets did in 06. It's the same strategy. We are in for a meltdown here.

so because the raiders had some draft busts and bad players that means the jets are the same situation (even though they have better talent on both sides of the ball) because you say so? do you realize how stupid that sounds?

How are we following the exact same plan as Oakland? Because we drafted offensive linemen early in the draft and not a fat, lazy running back like you wanted us to?

BTW, your Tuiasosopo argument falls flat, being as he was a GRUDEN draft pick. And, if I remember correctly, Jon Gruden was NOT the Raiders head coach two years ago.

so because the raiders had some draft busts and bad players that means the jets are the same situation (even though they have better talent on both sides of the ball) because you say so? do you realize how stupid that sounds?

The Jets have better talent on both sides of the ball. I am supposed to believe that aftter last year's fiasco. Had it not been for Al Davis's silly move of benching Collins for the Raiders' game with us and scrub Kelly Holcomb throwing a bad int at the end of the bills game we would have been 2-14. Worst record in the nfl.

It's silly to assume this draft upgraded our talent when you haven't seen any of these players play aside from a preseason loss to the Bucs. I doubt you watched much of Kellen Clemens and Leon Washington in college. but hey you keep drinking that kool-aid for the next three losing seasons.

The Jets have better talent on both sides of the ball. I am supposed to believe that aftter last year's fiasco. Had it not been for Al Davis's silly move of benching Collins for the Raiders' game with us and scrub Kelly Holcomb throwing a bad int at the end of the bills game we would have been 2-14. Worst record in the nfl.

It's silly to assume this draft upgraded our talent when you haven't seen any of these players play aside from a preseason loss to the Bucs. I doubt you watched much of Kellen Clemens and Leon Washington in college. but hey you keep drinking that kool-aid for the next three losing seasons.

1. The jets had 11 IR'ed players last year. NO TEAM could've overcome that.

2. I DID see both clemens and washington play but even if i didn't i find it funny that you're saying the jets are gonna suck based on our backup qb (at best) and our 3rd string HB for the upcoming season.

1. The jets had 11 IR'ed players last year. NO TEAM could've overcome that.

2. I DID see both clemens and washington play but even if i didn't i find it funny that you're saying the jets are gonna suck based on our backup qb (at best) and our 3rd string HB for the upcoming season.

I don't see this so much as a difference in opinion as it is a difference in ambition. My ambition in life is to see the Jets win a Super bowl. your ambition in life is to root against Herman Edwards. Deep down inside you know Leon Washington and Kellen Clemens are scrubs but Herman Edwards and Terry Bradway weren't the guys who made those moves so here you go emotionally investing yourselves in guys who blow.

I don't see this so much as a difference in opinion as it is a difference in ambition. My ambition in life is to see the Jets win a Super bowl. your ambition in life is to root against Herman Edwards. Deep down inside you know Leon Washington and Kellen Clemens are scrubs but Herman Edwards and Terry Bradway weren't the guys who made those moves so here you go emotionally investing yourselves in guys who blow.

No, it's called having faith in the new front office before they prove themselves to be ****ing idiots like the two morons that ran this team into the ground.

I'm really glad you made this post, because now you've shown your true agenda, which is that of a Hermy apologist.

rajensen? Is that you?

It takes more than one offseason to get out of a mess as big as the one Sperm and Bradway left this team in.

I agree. I was, and still am, thrilled with the Jets draft. They are the only team to get the best two players at their respecive positions in the draft.

I'd love to know what back you would have wanted them to take? LenDale White (the spitter, mangini would love that). I think Deangelo williams was already taken by the time their last first round pick came up. So who's left?

Oakland goes after postion players, the jets went after linemen.

How is that the same strategy?

Look - I can hope right along with the best of them. I do HOPE we win every game. But it's unlikely that any new coach is going to come in here & win a superbowl. Only one I can think of who did that is Gruden & he took over a fabulously talented Bucs team & basically just stopped the Shaun King experiment & sissy playcalling.

The reality is we aren't winning a superbowl in 2006. Not if we drafted Matt Leinart. Not if we drafted LenDale White. Not if we had given up the king's ransom for Reggie Bush. If one playmaker could turn a team into superbowl champions, there are plenty of the game's greats that would also have a ring (Marino, Sanders, and dozens of others).

So if you want a quick turnaround, why draft OLmen in the first round? Because other than paying through the nose for FA's we can't fit under the cap, or scrubs that other teams don't want anymore, drafting the college ranks' top talent IS the fastest way to build it. Can an OL consist of mostly (or even all) mid-late rounders? Of course they can. But their success rate is going to be lower, they generally won't start as rookies, their 2nd season (if you're lucky) will be their "learning" season, and you won't know what you've truly got until they're entering season three. Then you must contend with that likelihood that none of them will be elite, even if they are serviceable (KMac, Fabini, AJones, etc). If not, you go back to the drawing board & try more mid-rounders & hope for a better outcome. Meanwhile seasons go by and your prized first-round, sure-thing QB is developing happy feet he never had in college (David Carr) or gets his brain totally messed up from the fans turning on him (Tim Couch); and your uber-talented, first-round, sure-thing RB spends his career looking mediocre or like a bust behind a ragamuffin OL (Thomas Jones, William Green, etc) as a welcome into the NFL.

That said, I'm no apologist for Mangini & Tannenbaum. In hindsight, (and even on draft day) I would've rather taken Gabe Watson instead of Eric Smith, or a Chris Gocong instead of Anthony Schlegel & Jason Posciask. Even if Smith starts, no one was taking him for another 2 rounds. It would have made as much sense to draft Kellen Clemens with the #4 pick. Even if he's "your guy" and even if he turns into an NFL great, don't be a fool - no one was touching him for another 50 picks at best. Clearly we'd still have been able to take him AND end up with Brick. Same goes for the draft picks we acquired. I'm all for the high-character guys. But to suggest that of the high-character guys in the draft, that Anthony Schlegel or Eric Smith were the most talented at that point in the draft...well...I suppose we'll see, but I doubt it.

Some people think that a player you draft will be, in his rookie season, on the same level as a best-scenario superstar would be in his prime. They further compound that with assuming a player's success on a team heads-and-tails better than just about every other team would equate to the same success in the NFL on a crappy one. They make these ridiculous assumptions like Reggie Bush is automatically a given to have Barry Sanders' rushing yards and Marshall Faulk's receiving yards every year no matter who is on the OL. Or that Matt Leinart will automatically become a lefty Joe-Montana-in-his-prime, starting with this rookie season. Or that LenDale White ALWAYS converts the big yards, even though his failure to do so in the Nat Champ game allowed Texas to get the ball back & win (if you watched the game). If he coudn't convert that with USC's good OL and the threat of so many other weapons, against Texas' college-level DL/LB's, in what way is it a given that he will surely convert those with some mid-round OLmen against NFL front-seven's?

Take a pill.

Take 10 pills.

Oakland goes after postion players, the jets went after linemen.

How is that the same strategy?

Robert Gallery = D'Brickashaw Ferguson

Jake Grove = Nick Mangold

Kellen Clemens= Marques Tuaisosopo

Warren Sapp = Dewayne Robertson

Raiders use two first round picks on o-linemen, supposedly the "fundamental" thing to do. Then, to imitate Belichick rush to switch to a 3-4 defense they don't have the players for.

2004 Oakland Raiders = 2006 New York Jets

"Deep down inside you know Leon Washington and Kellen Clemens are scrubs..."

No, I don't know that, nor do you.Nor do we know if either is getting a bust in Canton. But Washington might be a useful player, and there are more than a few football people like Ron Jaworski who think Clemens is going to be a very good starting NFL QB. And he looked pretty good Friday, if in a small and negligible sample.

This is the dumbest thread I've ever seen. How about we play at least one game before declaring all of the people we drafted suck? We've played one lousy preseason game. Give me a break.

If we could nominate a "worst post of the week" several of Phinsuck's posts in this thread would get my vote.

True.

It took the Patriots two years to rebuild and win a Superbowl.

:jawdrop:

Archived