Would you trade our 3rd round pick for Duckett?

NIGHT STALKER

Jets | Team interested in Duckett

Wed, 16 Aug 2006 05:36:02 -0700

Rich Cimini, of the New York Daily News, reports the New York Jets are interested in completing a trade for a running back, and they are very interested in Atlanta Falcons RB T.J. Duckett, according to a source. The Falcons are believed to be seeking a third-round pick for Duckett. The Pittsburgh Steelers, too, are thought to be interested in Duckett.

Damn, this guy is a freaken load...250+ pounds

I can understand making that deal. Duckett was a first round pick who has shown he can play in the NFL but has not taken the beating most RBs do because he has split time with Dunn. I'd much rather Duckett than Lee Suggs thats for sure.

If they're in good cap shape, McCariens isn't so stupid for them. He's got a hefty salary at just under $3M/season. But he's a tall veteran receiver & don't tell me Vick couldn't use it.

On the flip-side, we'd have to absorb $5M in dead cap space between '06-'07 (costs $7M to keep him over the same span).

At worst, even if/when we draft someone high next year, Duckett is more than adequate as a #2 or as 1/2 of a RBBC for the '07 season (he'd be a FA in '08) after starting in '06.

McCareins would be a good trade value for them. Finneran is out for the season so they're down to 2 youngsters in Roddy White and Michael Jenkins. McCareins can return to his role in Tennessee as a #3.

No I would not give anything less than a 5th round draft pick for any tradeable back this year (and even that's pushing it). I don't believe we are SB bound this year...I don't think the Jets are playoff bound this year. I would rather draft a A. Peterson high up next year, than waste a draft pick on a back this year.

Besides, duckett isn't that great, he doesn't do well in short yardage for a back his size...He does have good straight-ahead speed, but no lateral movement. IF he is still on the falcons this year, he will be the 3rd back on the depth chart behind Dunn and the other back from MSU (can't think of the name atm)

Archived