Gary Myers article thoughts

The Fat Man

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/story/443964p-373908c.html

I am sure you've already read this article but my response is drafting Reggie Bush or Matt Leinert would have contributed nothing to this team. I think its great we bucked the system and took 2 #1 O-Linemen.

Denny Green made Matt Leinert run like a big buffoon to the media saying he will agree to the contract. The last person in the NFL to hold out and he sat on this very same contract for 1 week. Matt's too busy with Paris Hilton to worry about spring training.

Reggie Bush did look good in the scrimmage last week. I guess we could have gone back to Kevin "can't shotgun" Mawae, Flabini and the others who provided us with the worst offense in the NFL last year. The thought of Flabini and Mawae un-blocking for Reggie Bush does not move me.

He said the Jets should trade up for Leinart before the draft. He was there at pick four and Tangini whiffed. Where is he wrong?

He is wrong in the assumption that a limited RB or a limited QB would set the Jets on the right road toward respectability again.

The press wants to build a football team with big name skill positions that lead to great stories.

Smart football men build football teams in teh trenches and work outward.

There is a difference

He said the Jets should trade up for Leinart before the draft. He was there at pick four and Tangini whiffed. Where is he wrong?

Because a hurt QB does nobody any good (see last year).

The o-line needed re-building and that was what happens.

If Chad doesn't work out this year we have Kellen and next year a RB.

BZ

First of all, football is a game of trenches. Neglecting the lines to add flashy players does not get anyone to the big game.

Secondly, he neglects to mention that the Jets did get a quarterback in the second round of the draft. To say that we simply handed the reigns to Pennington is a joke. Leinhart looked good at USC but it is way to early to tell who will make a better pro.

Also, if QB is the biggest need why not Vince Young? If we blew it by not trading up for Bush, did we blow it by not moving up for Young?

Finally, if we did trade up for Bush, not only would Pennington be our QB but we wouldn't have Clemens either.

You would think that there were only two decent prospects in the whole draft if you took this lousy article seriously.

I've never read anything by Gary Myers that wasn't recycled conventional wisdom regurgitated with turgid and pedestrian prose. It's easy to advocate all that, but who was going to block for these guys? You cannot throw or run unless you have the horses upfront, unless you like getting 2 QBs hurt for the season in one game.

Remember-Myers was one of the knuckleheads in the press crops who said Jets fans would riot at the draft if the Jets passed on Leinart-and then proceeded to express total amazment when D'Brick was wildly cheered. It's very strange. 20 years ago the press knew much more than the public. But the internet and palce like this have change that dramatically. An d lazy reporter like Myers are anachronisms.We understand-marguee players are great, but there isn't any point unless you have the foundation built. And these are the same idiots who tell us Edwards was a great coach,and Mangini is the devil.

You would think that there were only two decent prospects in the whole draft if you took this lousy article seriously.

The take-home point that this simpleton does not get.

Deepest draft in memory and this fool takes Tangini to task for not selecting only 1 player, Reggie Bush, on day one (and the supplemental pick, which was the same as the first pick on day two). Presumably Bush would also plays left tackle and center and quarterback and linebacker for the better part of the next decade.

20 years ago the press knew much more than the public. But the internet and place like this have changed that dramatically.

Absolutely - and in many instances the net savy fan knows more because they have access to a ton of info and can seperate the good from the bad without being a genius. A tight lipped Mangini camp leaves those guys frustrated and pulling stuff out of their bungs. To suggest we did wrong by not drafting Leinart was a bad bung to be pulling from, but the product is the same.

Archived