Best thing/Worst Thing Mangini has done so far

SouthernJet

Best thing:

Put a more disciplined mindset to the team.

Worst thing:

Waited so long to react to RB situation as it was obvious even a healthy CM is over the hill

Best thing:

Drafting D'Brick and Mangold with the Jets first 2 picks.

Worst thing:

Not letting Shott open up the offense a bit.

Best Thing- Set the tone for what is expected.

Worst Thing - Didn't bring home the AFC East pre-season championship. He underestimated the importance of this one. It will prove to be a costly mistake.

Best thing-What SouthernJet said.This team needed a good kick up the backside and Mangini's done that.Too many players underacheived under Herm and it's good to see guys like Thomas starting to show promise.I expect this team to be beter prepared and more focused this season.

Worst thing-Switching to the 3-4.At the start of this offseason we were a good DT away from being a top defense.We had one of the top edge rushers,one of the best all rounded ends in the game and one of the best sideline to sideline LB's in the game.

But in the 3-4,we have no pass rushing LB,we have no nose tackle(perhaps the two most important positions for the 3-4) and sadly i think Vilma will struggle in the 3-4.

Best Thing: Bringing back accountability, conditioning and making verterans earn their spot

Worst thing: Tie between not letting Schott put in a more open offense, adressing the RB problem late into preseason and not getting a proper NT

Still have time for the NT but only if the player has played in the NT recently or a lot, no sense getting another person used to the 4-3 since there isn't enough time to get him aclimated before opening day.

Worst thing:

Not letting Shott open up the offense a bit.

This could work either way. If he opened it up a little at least teams might spend five minutes working on defending the deep ball. They are sure to be loading up the box against us. On the other hand, actually opening it up might cost us the chance to hit with a couple of surprise lucky plays when we do. He might not have wanted to show our vertical game, especially if we turn out to be as bad with the deep ball as many expect. Same thing goes for trick plays, like Brad Smith's reverse. I think a reverse is always good to show because it means the defenders will have to stay in their lanes, but it may cost us the chance for that one cheap td when we need it.

This could work either way. If he opened it up a little at least teams might spend five minutes working on defending the deep ball. They are sure to be loading up the box against us. On the other hand, actually opening it up might cost us the chance to hit with a couple of surprise lucky plays when we do. He might not have wanted to show our vertical game, especially if we turn out to be as bad with the deep ball as many expect. Same thing goes for trick plays, like Brad Smith's reverse. I think a reverse is always good to show because it means the defenders will have to stay in their lanes, but it may cost us the chance for that one cheap td when we need it.

There may be a little package of plays for Smith that we will see over the course of the year, using that reverse as the base play.

Best: Rebuilding the OL

Worst: Not addressing the RB, WR and QB situation. Clemens? PPPuuuhhllleeeeaassseee!!!!!!!!!!!!! I think it is by design because this team was not one draft and free agent class away from contending. Tank 2006 to be better in 2007.

Worst: Not addressing the RB, WR and QB situation. Clemens? PPPuuuhhllleeeeaassseee!!!!!!!!!!!!! I think it is by design because this team was not one draft and free agent class away from contending. Tank 2006 to be better in 2007.

Every team is one draft and free agent class from contending. This isn't the 60s.

*Edit* our draft and free agent class just has to be EXTREMELY good.

Originally Posted by PFSIKH

That could be the dumbest post I've read here, and that is saying something.

the nfl is about the team, the NBA is about stars. who were NE's rb and wr for the first superbowl?

Best - Drafting D-Brick and Mangold, abandoned the Elks Lodge style of managing the team, ceased hourly broadcasts describing every detail of Jet business.

Worst - Jurys still out due to preseason, but if we've seen the offensive gameplan, it will be a long season.

I like what they did today. These guys-Bolly, Jolley-aren't going to play here. They aren't going to piss and moan about injuries. As with Barlow/Martin, let's get someone in here who will contribute and not lose any sleep over the mistakes of the past.

Only downside-might not be the worst idea to throw the media a bone or 2 to keep them occupied.Let the assistants talk already.I'd like to hear Bob Sutton or Brian Cox. Heck, let Brian Cox brief the press-that would be insane. But as above, the idea anyone's going to give any detail, no matter how minor, that might help another team gameplan, is not happening.

That could be the dumbest post I've read here, and that is saying something.

Read some of your own. Or do you have yourself on your own ignore list?

Fo

Good points. However, it is unlikely Clemens is a second coming of Brady. Or even Drew Bledsoe. Barlow can probably put up Antowain Smith numbers and Coles could do likewise for Troy Brown.

We all can agree, you can take little from preseason. There might be indications, but nothing proof positive. The Patriots looked good in the 2001 preseason. To include, significant strides made by Brady. There were indications they might be good. Not Superbowl good, but good.

The Jets have shown virtually nothing. Maybe Chad will get knocked out by Harrison and Clemens will rescue the Jets and usher in a new era for the Jets. Maybe. However, while your OL is getting there, you still have the same dead arm QB taking snaps, a RB that has never fully realized his potential, and a talented wideout that will be as good as the QB makes him. A defense with some nice players, even a few good ones, but no one is going to fear it. A rookie head coach, etc. etc. etc.

You are right, today's parity driven NFL, every team is a contender. In 2001, the Steelers were the only real beast in the AFC. Since then, the Patriots and Colts have joined the fray and there are several other potential teams (Phins, Jags, Broncos, Chargers) who could make noise. This makes any quick rise on the Jets behalf unlikely.

Archived